(Close Window)
Topic: Enter Contest & Win Expensive Prize!
Many modern day magi believe that the pendulum is the most underutilized tool in the world of mentalism. Via our combined efforts, Rich Hennessey and I hope to correct this sorry situation!

Based on a sudden inspiration I shared with Rich, he has taken a very old idea and crafted a new, elegant and rarely seen “multi-bob” pendulum. “Multi-Bob” is the working title we have been using to describe a style of pendulum most of you have surely heard of but few have actually seen or had the opportunity to experience its magic!

It consists of three pendulums suspended from a single rod. What makes the multi-bob so amazing and powerful in action is that the mentalist can influence the movements of any single pendulum, of his own choice or that of a member of the audience, with all the accuracy and options available with a standard pendulum.

Front to back, left to right, clockwise circles and counterclockwise circles, every movement and direction familiar to you from ordinary pendulum work is easily manifested with the multi-bob! And all the while, the other two pendulums remain eerily still.

To the performer this feels like real magic. And like with the pendulums you are familiar with, you can guide audience participants to achieve the same results in their own hands! This is a most magical experience that they will never forget!

To the audience it looks like the result of hi-tech engineering but nothing could be further from the truth. Completely gimmick free, the multi-bob pendulum uses classic ideomotor movement combined with the awesome power of suggestion as with typical pendulum work. Multiply times three and add the paradox of the other two pendulums staying still and you’ll begin to have an idea of how powerful the multi-bob pendulum is in performance.

Also, I’ve written a new ebook that teaches you how to most effectively operate and get the most out of the multi-bob pendulum. Instructions on how to make one of your own are included for the DIY crowd though once you see Rich’s beautifully crafted model, I predict you’ll be contacting Mentalcraft!

Along with learning my innovative methods and effects, you will be taught by some of the finest performers and creators in mentalism, including John Riggs, Enrique Enriquez, Rich Hennessey, Tony Razzano, Brad Henderson, Dr. Todd Landman, and Jerome Finley. We also share some of our most creative thoughts and effects with the standard pendulum.

As of this time, the ebook has yet to be named. So a contest is afoot! Or at hand, whichever you prefer!

Purchase my latest ebook at the pre-sale price of $30 and submit a name (or names) for a chance to be immortalized in the ever growing literature on pendulums. Rich and I will choose the winner who will receive the prize of a multi-bob pendulum hand crafted by Rich, normally priced at $59.95!

This is a most versatile work of art, with each pendulum easily removed for individual use, via Rich’s pioneering application of neodymium magnets. So you can work with three participants independently before or after blowing their minds with the multi-bob pendulum! Just think of the applications this makes possible!

And not only is it like getting an additional three finely crafted standard pendulums, it will allow you to customize your multi-bob down the road if you so choose. When the contest is over, Rich will be adding the multi-bob pendulum to Mentalcraft’s fine line of artistic and original mentalism! Two sizes, close-up and parlor, will be available.

Use my PayPal address, wcushman@bellsouth.net, to enter the contest, submitting your choice(s) for naming the ebook in the information box (no more than five submissions per customer, please) on the payment page, and reserving your copy of my ebook for the pre-sale price of $30. Once the contest is over and the book named, the price will be raised to $40 so take the opportunity to win a wonderful prize, have your name forever associated with an exciting new project and save ten dollars in the process!

Here is a picture of one of Rich's creations to whet your appetite! It is a full size multi-bob pendulum. The rod is made from antiqued bamboo and is 13" long. As nice as it is, the photo does not do the real thing justice!
Here is a close-up of the above multi-bob pendulum!
This looks great Bill!
Bill - your display case reminds me of a PK effect that has a noise problem as it unscrews a nut from a bolt.

But this is not the place to discuss that and I will pose that in the closed section below.

I am not able to raise the pro-order price -- and have had to cut buying substantially --- however -- may I enter the contest WITHOUT a purchase -- or will that create too crazy a volume of mail for you?
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 3, 2010 02:17PM)
Yes, this looks to be a great investment!

I love pendulums!

Ray
This looks like an upscale version of a Collector's Workshop prop called The Burmese Bells.

I don't really need this lovely effect, Bill but I have a great name for it. Shall I submit it to you by pm?

- entity
Folks, I can only accept names for the contest from the pre-orders or this is going to get hinky!

Yes, Entity, Vikiing does (or did) sell a multi-bob pendulum called Burmese Bells. This is in a whole different class. Anyone who's seen or handled the Burmese Bells has the same response: "This looks like a clown prop!"

I promise no one will say such a thing about Rich Hennessey's superb work. Plus you've only seen photos of prototypes of two models. I had trouble sizing some other photos of different multi-bobs but hopefuly Rich will have time later. I really want to get the "mini-bob" up here.

And the material in the ebook is awesome. From close up to a stage sized version and so much more!

And Entity, that is a killer name! Arghh.
Bill (& Rich),

It looks like another winner!

That is a beauty!

Nathan
Have you ever wondered about those "No purchase necessary" disclaimers on all of those contests you see big companies run?

I hate to be a spoilsport Bob but by requiring a purchase to enter the contest you may be conducting an illegal lottery. Here's a quote from Promo Magazine's expert in reply to a reader's question:

[b]Your promotion is actually a lottery, as it has prize, chance and consideration. It is illegal for you to run a lottery. To turn it into a legal sweeps you must, among other things, allow for a non-consideration method of entry.[/b]

(http://expert.promomagazine.com/contests/page/5/)

I'm not a lawyer and I certainly could be wrong but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Rocky
Yep, this is pretty low.

[quote]Folks, I can only accept names for the contest from the pre-orders or this is going to get hinky![/quote]

Why would it get 'hinky'? I'm not even really sure what 'hinky' means, but urban dictionary has just informed me a little and I still don't understand why accepting suggestions from non-purchasers would make it 'hinky'.

Unless of course by 'hinky' you mean "I don't make as much money."

Running contests to decide the name of forthcoming products seems to be a mandatory addition to the sly Café marketers handbook. It's lame. Every time I see it I cringe a little. It's such a shame that people don't have enough confidence in their product and instead need to get every ounce of exposure before they launch. Weak.

So really it's "Buy my book, enter contest and win expensive prize".
Seriously, while I really, really do not appreciate aspersions cast upon my charachter or work, my only motivation for setting up a contest was to do something cool and fun for a group of cool and fun people that I consider my community. I never would have run the contest if I thought it would upset anyone.

But if anyone is unhappy, let the contest be open to all! Just post your suggestions right here and all will be considered. Both products are great and I have absolute confidence in them.
Pendulenium
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Feb 3, 2010 06:31PM)
"Taking Refuge."
[quote]
On 2010-02-03 18:24, Rocketeer wrote:
Have you ever wondered about those "No purchase necessary" disclaimers on all of those contests you see big companies run?

I hate to be a spoilsport Bob but by requiring a purchase to enter the contest you may be conducting an illegal lottery. Here's a quote from Promo Magazine's expert in reply to a reader's question:

[b]Your promotion is actually a lottery, as it has prize, chance and consideration. It is illegal for you to run a lottery. To turn it into a legal sweeps you must, among other things, allow for a non-consideration method of entry.[/b]

(http://expert.promomagazine.com/contests/page/5/)

I'm not a lawyer and I certainly could be wrong but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Rocky
[/quote]

Are you kidding me???

Welcome to the Café...
We are not allowed to have fun anymore...looks like Bill got needled!

Nathan
I don't think it's low at all. If you want to buy the ebook, then you also get a chance to win a great handmade pendulum. If you don't want to buy the ebook, you don't get a chance to win a pendulum. Pretty simple really. I don't see how it is hurting anyone.

In regards to the lottery comment, how the heck does that work? So every time I buy a Coke, sms a codeword and enter a competition for a prize Coca Cola are holding a nationwide lottery?

Anyways I don't want to derail this thread. My suggestion:

Multi Bob ;)
Bill, thanks for opening up the competition to all. I think you did the right thing.

I don't wish to cast a shadow over your work. I've found good value in some of your past contributions. You are certainly not the first person who has tried to hype their work with a naming competition nor will you be the last. What really got me here was the requirement to buy the book.

[quote]We are not allowed to have fun anymore..[/quote]
No Nathan... as I believe I said to you before, describing anything somoene objects to 'as a bit of fun' does not make everything ok.

[quote]In regards to the lottery comment, how the heck does that work? So every time I buy a Coke, sms a codeword and enter a competition for a prize Coca Cola are holding a nationwide lottery?[/quote]
This is certainly the case in many juristictions. Often companies discourage free entries by providing a less convenient 'free' application process, for example having to write off via snail mail for your 'chance' to win.

My entry: "Bill's Knockers"
Hmmmm that's rather interesting, I didn't know that. Davit you inspired me, my last suggestion for the name:

Bill's Big Brass Bells
First -- al place tongue firmly in your cheek --

The think about naming this "The Middle Finger of Fate" indicator. (LOL)

But since I cannot come up with the bucks -- this is not a real entry.

But I think the prop is a gas -- with some real thought behind it. With proper presentation it is a ghasper for a sitter to observe -- more so even than the pendulum in a bottle.

And any exec who has those crazy click-clack balls (pendulum energy transfer toy) will have to be befuddled when only pendulum one moves.......
(shakes head)

Is it more important to be able to open a door, or to close it?
Since the contest is now open to all, I'll reiterate the remarks from my pm to Bill:

Your book (and the prop) should be called: The Chimaera

The Chimaera was a three-headed, fire-breathing creature that Hercules had to contend with in the epic tale of his great trials.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(mythology)

A classy prop should have a classy name, I think.

- entity
I suggest "The Cerberus Pendulum" named for the three-headed dog who guarded Hades. He can be found in both both Greek and Roman mythology.

Cerberus was seen in one of the Harry Potter films as well.
[quote]
On 2010-02-04 00:50, entity wrote:
A classy prop should have a classy name, I think.
[/quote]

I agree. Which is why I suggested calling the prop either "The Three-Way Swinger" or "The Swingin' Threesome," and calling the book something like "The Three-Way Swinger's Party Handbook."
Are the pendulums detachable so that they can be used seperately as well, as part of a multistage routine?
[quote]
On 2010-02-04 02:38, Garrad wrote:
Are the pendulums detachable so that they can be used seperately as well, as part of a multistage routine?
[/quote]

Yes, they use magnets to attach/detach.
Ah well it sounded like a good marketing Idea Bill....And not underhanded.

But mentalists are a bunch on to their own :)
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 4, 2010 06:24AM)
[quote]
On 2010-02-03 23:34, MDantes wrote:
(shakes head)

Is it more important to be able to open a door, or to close it?
[/quote]

Depends on the reason why a door needs to be open or close. Same reasoning for a fence, is a fence build to keep something in or to keep something out?

R
You guys better stop...we are bordering on fun.

Nathan
As Dr. Bill is a great guy - here is my suggested name:

The Oracle of the Fates

- Based on the 3 Moirae (The Fates) of Greek Mythology:

Clotho (English pronunciation: /ˈkloʊθoʊ/, Greek Κλωθώ [klɔːˈtʰɔː] – "spinner") spun the thread of life from her distaff onto her spindle. Her Roman equivalent was Nona, (the 'Ninth'), who was originally a goddess called upon in the ninth month of pregnancy.
Lachesis (/ˈlækɨsɪs/, Greek Λάχεσις [ˈlakʰesis] – "allotter" or drawer of lots) measured the thread of life allotted to each person with her measuring rod. Her Roman equivalent was Decima (the 'Tenth').
Atropos (/ˈætrəpɒs/, Greek Ἄτροπος [ˈatropos] – "inexorable" or "inevitable", literally "unturning",[7] sometimes called Aisa) was the cutter of the thread of life. She chose the manner of each person's death; and when their time was come, she cut their life-thread with "her abhorred shears"[8]. Her Roman equivalent was Morta ('Death').
(From Wiki)

Sounds like a great device - heh, I built one of these but its like a David Abbot table - I have 13 pendulums on a table :)

Also, the principle can be used for bringing to life a routine based on HPL's "Terrible Old Man"

As a possesor of Rich's fine pendulum work - (I got the Roman coin/spear) - bravo!

I now dematerialize.
"Mental Mojoe Monkey Bar"

Woodfield
Hey Greg, read more closely! The contest is now open to everyone so please contribute some names for the ebook. Your odds of winning the multi-bob are much higher if you do so:).

Well, one thing is for sure, we're going to have a wider pool of great choices to sift through! A definite advantage of making the contest open to everyone.

Now let me tap into the mind trust we have here on a different matter. What/where is the oldest reference to a multi-bob style pendulum? Or equally evasive, who get can be credited for this mind blowing invention?

I've done my research on this and come up empty handed. I've asked the people we would all expect to know. They don't. So I'm casting a wide net by bringing this question to all of you.

Let me tell you what I do know. The whole idea of resurrecting the multi-bob began when I was about to replace a nice, wooden paper towel holder that had a broken end piece.

As I was about to toss the central rod, I kept thinking there had to be something I could do with it. An old memory was nibbling at the edge of my mind.

Fifteen minutes, three pieces of yarn and three nuts later, I had my first multi-bob prototype! A little while after that the rest of my mind was gradually being nibbled away as I discovered how well it worked. I thought I knew the extent of ideoomotor responses as well as anyone and I was discovering I was a neophyte at the gate of the temple.

So like any good student, I began my research along with a practice regimen. My earliest memory of trying out a multi-bob style pendulum was at about age 12. I'm almost certain that I came across the instructions to build it in one of those "Perform Magic With Science" style books my nerdy younger self so enjoyed.

Believe it or not we had to go to buildings known as libraries back then to research information. So I cleared an old path and travelled to such a building rumored to exist.

Inside were thousands and thousands of books! With the help of an ancient “librarian” I found the section that she thought should hold the answers I sought. But to no avail.

“Magic with Science” books, “Science with Magic” books, but no information on a multi-bob pendulum. The closest reference I found was the similarly based idea of isolating a pendulum in a bottle and placing two or three such bottles upon a table.

Truly a marvelous effect but not what I was searching for. Besides, I already had references for this arrangement dating back to the early 1900s. It is described in “Behind the Scenes with the Mediums” written by David Abbot in 1907.

My notes took me to various discoveries on how to best use the mutli-bob pendulum. These discoveries inspired presentations. They inspired Rich Hennessey to create prototypes that far outshined my original mock-up and allowed for further, even more amazing discoveries of the multi-bob’s potential.

My cyberspace travels to the best minds of my generation led to more stories about multi-bob pendulums. This inspired a great sharing of ideas and effects. And so an ebook was begun to gather all of this wonderful information in one place.

And that brings us to the present. Where the original questions remain unanswered!

Who created this darn thing? And when was the first one built? I now turn to you, bearers of obscure, arcane knowledge, for answers. No contest this time, just that great sense of satisfaction that comes from a job well done. Oh, and if I can verify your answers you and they will be in the ebook!
"Triforce"
Bill,

I believe Tarbell has something on this but not quite used as a pendulum in our sense, but as swinging balls. The patter matched the objects’ movement and because they worked automatically, you just had to adjust your presentation to the timing of the balls’ movement.

If I remember correctly there is also something in Tarbell about pendulums in bottles with different length strings that could be “controlled” by people’s fingertips on the table.

At the museum I used to run we had a "Mystery Swing" that worked on the pendulum principle where the kids could swing on the swing itself, stop swinging and as their momentum died down the weighted pendulum would begin "pushing" the swing. It is an eerie feeling to be sitting quietly and suddenly, without doing anything, you feel the swing begin to move.
"Great Swinging Balls of Brass"?
David Abbot describes the method in his Behind the Scenes with the Mediums - but points out that even at that time, the method was an oldie - and he adapted it from another medium...
Unholy Trinity

...or even just Trinity
[quote]
On 2010-02-04 09:15, Bill Cushman wrote:

Who created this darn thing? And when was the first one built? I now turn to you, bearers of obscure, arcane knowledge, for answers. No contest this time, just that great sense of satisfaction that comes from a job well done. Oh, and if I can verify your answers you and they will be in the ebook!
[/quote]

The history of this pendulum divination can be traced back over 5,000 years to the ancient Orient. The pendulum is the main instrument used for this area of divination, although wooden rods are also used. This practice became very popular in the Middle Ages and was a favored practice of divination through to the early nineteenth century. The practice lost favor after that but then there was a great renewal of interest in the twentieth century. In 1933, the British Society of Dowsers was formed.
Bob'ing along is my suggestion
Thanks Doctor Specktor and Steven but perhaps I wsan't clear. I have found many ancient refeences to pendulums being used for divination.

What I cannot find is a description of the type of pendulum I refer to as multi-bob and as shown in the photos. This is the origin that eludes me. Who was the first person to hang 3 or more pendulums from a single rod and realize that you could control each pendulum individuallly?

This is the essence of the mult-bob pendulum and what makes it so effective and magical. So if anyoone has any information on this aspect, it would be greatly appreciated.
As mentioned - the reference I describe does have that - it describes having tables with 20-30 bobs strung together in varuous ways and in bottles and so on where only one moves a time - the one chosen by the spec.

Later references never site that one - but I think Mental-ettes... or I can look it up if you like... Al Mann has 2 effects along these lines... one with multiple bottles and another like yours (a rod with various pendulums all attached) but more bobs than 3.

Most of the refs though come from the spiritualism materials...
This presentation is the first of this use of the principle for performance magic I can remember in my 50 years in an out of magic or in my 68 years on earth. But I do not see all, tell all or even have enough time to research all --- even with a mind reading turban.

As a potential divination device or spirit detector for seances this could be a killer with good routining -- and offers much more than a PK effect can bring in drama. And if it is re-dressed for different cultures -- WOW!

Just think of a Tibetan look frame -- and then move to something that might have been Plains Amerind or Australian Aborigine for presentation. In fact I am beginning to think the iudea of issuing a book is the wisest idea I have heard of -- I would hate to see a generic magicky looking trick prop flood the market.

So -- if the center bob is the one to move whilst leaving the other ends (Danger and Caution, Yes or No) still -- cud this not be called

"The Centrix Divination" or the "Centrix Pendulum Divnation?"

I must say I love the earlier classic references to three headed beasts -- it shows scholarly thoughts in or ranks. Whether many younger magi will understand the references, however, is up to debate.

I kinda like the ideas surrounding

"The Fickle Finger of Fate" since the audience will never know the name of the trick and it must sell to magicians.

A more Buddhist approach could be -- "The Middle Way" again depending on the central bob moving.

"Fate Detector" also comes to mind.

"By Forces Unknown" wraps the enigma in science.

"Make your own spiritual energy detector" might work for a book.

For the science minded "Physics(ly) Impossible!"

GC
In Harry Price's "Poltergeist Over England: Three Centuries of Mischievous Ghosts" (1945, London: Country Life Ltd.) he tells of a 27-year-old woman named Anna Rasmussen, whom he tested in June of 1927.

Among other phenomena, such as mirror writing and spirit raps, Anna was able to affect and cause to move on command two steel ball bearings arranged as he describes:

"On top of the séance-table was a tabourette or stool, 27½ inches high, of plain wood, with four legs with supporting struts some third of the distance from the bottom. On the under side of the stool-top were screwed two hooks, 90 min. apart. From these hooks were suspended (by means of threads) two steel balls such as are used for ball-bearings in machinery. The weight of the balls was about one ounce each, though the weights were not identical. They reached nearly to the table-top. To exclude draughts or conscious or unconscious blowing by the medium or sitters, sheets of plate glass were firmly clamped to the four sides of the tabourette - thus forming it into a glass chamber containing two pendulums of dissimilar weights."

- entity
Some great name idea! And I really appreciate the research, gentlemen. I can't believe I breezed by the earlier pendulum references in "Behind The Scenes With The Mediums" which also provides an 1897 refence.

Still, I'm looking for a reference specific to the design I'm describing in the ebook and Rich is crafting for sale and as the prize in the contest. I know I read of such a style over 35 years ago and the "Perform Magic
With Science" book I read it in was very likely already old. While the descriptions cited so far are very similar and of course work the same, I'm still hoping for exact. I have been told Galileo made and used one for scientific study but I've yet to find any reference.

I have more pictures to post of prototypes Rich has made! Remember these are only protoypes and not the prize or necessarily what Rich intends to market. However he told me last night that he is open to customizing at the customer's request, something I'd PM'ed CHMARA was unlikely. This is very good news. Here is a multi-bob with alligator feet!
A five bob with Chinese coins!
The latest mini-bob with detachable pendulums, bamboo rod about 8.5 inches long. I love the keys!
This is the first multi-bob prototye Rich send me and the one I've worked the most with. Despite its simple appearance, it works like a charm. It is just under 6" long and the bobs are NOT detachable.

Sorry so small. This was the only picture of this particular multi-bob that I could fit on the Café. Considering it is a mini-bob, maybe it is strangely appropriate
The only thing I can see it might need would be matching uprights or a stand for hands off spirit detection.
That is precisely what I am invested in getting away from! I want this as hands on as possible. But I can see where others might feel differently and a stand of some kind would fit there presentation.

It wouldn't be difficult to construct. And interestingly, in the ad you will soon see, I describe the multi-bob as resting in a stand! So I am not adverse to the idea but it just isn't the direction I am taking this in. Wait until you read John Riggs stage size version. It definitely begs to be hands on!
Bill, I haven't kept up with this thread, sorry!

I DO have a few suggestions for a name if you have not already decided:

Cosmic Pendulum
The Pendulum of Confucius
The Universal Mind Connection
Bill,
If I remember my high school physics correctly, I believe Galileo experimented with multi-bob pendulums, albeit for a different reason.
Hands on would be good - because if done right- the hands are the spectator's - you as the medium/psychic/mystery entertainer doesn't have to touch the device at all!

Entity beat me to the latest refs :)

Anyhoo - if you didn't get the Al Mann ones yet, PM me and I'll fire them to you
Bill's Balls
Tony, how good to see you here! I understand that if Galileo experimented with a set up like the mutli-bob, his intentions were different. But I'd still like to see his set up if it is at all similar.

I like your names, Tony, particularly the last. And Bruce, we are on the same page; while it is amazing to see the magi get the movements and may be needed as part of the indirect suggestion, it is when the participant moves the pendulums in his own hands that things move to a new level.

As for you Dutch Frank, funny but I don't know if it is appropriate :1)
[quote]

[/quote]

Ok,how about The Billibob...
Given my my modest habit of working my name into the titles of my ebooks (Mirabill, Telephone Bill, Suggestabilities) you are tapping into a "subtle need" of mine. However neither suggestion so far is giving me that "Aha" experience I'm seeking. Keep them coming DutchFrank!
[quote]
On 2010-02-08 01:08, Bill Cushman wrote:
Tony, how good to see you here! I understand that if Galileo experimented with a set up like the mutli-bob, his intentions were different. But I'd still like to see his set up if it is at all similar.

I like your names, Tony, particularly the last. And Bruce, we are on the same page; while it is amazing to see the magi get the movements and may be needed as part of the indirect suggestion, it is when the participant moves the pendulums in his own hands that things move to a new level.

[/quote]

Thanks, Bill! Always good to "see" you, too!

Let me do some research on Galileo. I'll get back to you.
- Triple Bill

- Cushmaniac Cycloids

"The cycloid is the locus of a point on the rim of a circle of radius rolling along a straight line. It was studied and named by Galileo in 1599. Galileo attempted to find the area by weighing pieces of metal cut into the shape of the cycloid. Torricelli, Fermat, and Descartes all found the area. The cycloid was also studied by Roberval in 1634, Wren in 1658, Huygens in 1673, and Johann Bernoulli in 1696. Roberval and Wren found the arc length (MacTutor Archive). Gear teeth were also made out of cycloids, as first proposed by Desargues in the 1630s (Cundy and Rollett 1989)." (Source: Internet, somewhere)

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 6:49am
Osbillation(s)
Osbilloscope
Cushmaniac Science (or Science Cushmaniac)
Unbillievable
Penduwill

Trio of Will

(Since Bill might be a William.... and "Willing" the chosen pendulum is the key)

I Still like my original... The Fates or the Oracle of the Fates... but can't figure out a way to get Bill in.... so.... "Will of the Fates!"

:)
I typed this on another forum, but:

Dependabill
Trybyl. (Pronounced: tri-bil)

Live long and prosper.

- entity
OK,OK, I asked for it! And, for whatever it says about me, I found some of the bill/will entries exceptionally likabill.

Trybyl took me immediately to "The Trouble With Trybyls" before I read the pronunciation key!
Gabileo ('s Law)
Gabilleo ('s Law)

And so on... :)
How about Triembillical Bar ?
When is the closing date?
When I did a similar effect years ago a spectator commented on how much my hand gripping the stick resembled a clawed foot. The name 'Trigor' is an ancient name Mount Triglav in Slovenia that is the home of the Three Headed God "Bo" so --

possible names are:

"Talons of Tigor" and "Chains of Trigor"

provided with the story to match as some legends suggest this mountains as the place where Prometheus was chained.
Any update on a release date for this Bill ?
[quote]
On 2010-02-08 01:08, Bill Cushman wrote:

[/quote]

A few weeks back, Dr. Bill was asking about multi bob pendulum history. I posted that I thought that Galileo had done work with multi bob pendulums, but could not find a reference.

Well, Bill, it took me a few weeks, but here are the Galileo references

Thank goodness for university reference librarians.

Galileo's work on pendulums is found in his works "Dialogues Concerning the Two Chief World Systems" and "Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences".

Not that most of you really care, but there it is.
Bill,

As has been noted, the idea is quite old. Back in 1991, before the bells rod marketed by Collectors Workshop, I made a limited number of a special type of multi-bobs.

However mine were various Voodoo items attached to a small, black, New Orleans parasol. Each item was, of course, was on a different length string and each represented a different topic. A coin for money, a glass heart for love, there was a tiny skull, a dice, an animal tooth, a rabbit's foot and most were from key chains.

The subject thought of a question, concentrated on the item that revealed her topic and held the parasol over her head. The odd trinkets danced around her head, until all but one stopped moving. Then, as if pushed by an unseen spirit hand, her item swung crazy!

The magick man interpreted the swings to answer her unknown question.

Although three Chinese bobs on a polished stick is quite different, you may consider a true method of divination in your instructions.
When is the winner going to be announced?

- entity
The illness I've been struggling with kicked into high gear about three weeks ago and has slowed things down. I also still haven't had that "aha" experience with the names supplied but there are a few that come close, though that wouldn't have helped with the impact of illness.

My goal was to go off of pre-sale at the end of February but to be honest and fair, I'd say I'm looking at another two weeks, hopefully a bit less. On the positive side, a gentleman approached me with some material I hadn't come across in my researches. He has moves I wouldn't have even thought possible that he has generously allowed me to include in the ebook.

Docc, thanks for sharing about your umbrella multi-bob; what a brilliant idea! I'd come across a description somehwere along the way and was struck at the time with its congruency and likely impact.

My own material and the contributions are along a whole continuum of presenational themes with divination only playing a small role. Interestingly, I was written by a couple of folks who thought that divination was the only thing possible with a pendulum.

Your adaptation of Richard Webster's material on your Monster DVD set shows this ain't necessarily so! Though you do end with a wonderful divination of a single item, when you use the term "divination system" I suspect you are talking about the pendulum(s) as oracle. My personal material moves in a very differrent direction that I think will be well received. As will the contribtuions by both our brightest peers and those lesser known. Thank you for the suggestion to include a single system of divination.

As for origins Kenton Knepper has written me that Galileo put together a multi-bob for research purposes. I'm still waiting on a citation but I'd love to know when we are talking old we really are talking old!

Bear with me a couple of more weeks, folks! And keep those names coming!
[quote]
On 2010-02-24 15:04, Tony Razzano wrote:
[quote]
Galileo's work on pendulums is found in his works "Dialogues Concerning the Two Chief World Systems" and "Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences".

Not that most of you really care, but there it is.
[/quote]

Bill,
Here you go.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Apr 12, 2010 09:54PM)
[quote]
On 2010-03-05 03:56, Bill Cushman wrote: (IN PART)
The illness I've been struggling with kicked into high gear about three weeks ago and has slowed things down.

Bear with me a couple of more weeks, folks! And keep those names coming!
[/quote]

Bill,
How are you?

I hope that everything is going fine.

Ray
Hi Ray, thanks for your concern and well wishes.

And I appreciate everyone's checking in and patience. I feel really bad about being so late with the multi-bob ebook. And for not checking in here for so long.

Since I last wrote, my situation has deteriorated. It has been limiting the time I can take working at the computer among many other things.

I've seen a neurosurgeon for the first time after only working with orthopedic surgeons up until now (who appear to have done the wrong surgery). I'm trying some alternative procedures and getting a 2nd opinion from another neurosurgeon late this month but a second, and far more extensive, surgery is looking more and more likely.

This has not exactly improved my mood. And in all honesty that has been effecting my motivation level. At least that is something I can take back under my control!

I don't have a ton left to do and if I just pace myself each day I can finish the ebook before the months end. At least the writing and then a dear friend can take over making it look pretty and organized if needed.

Bear with me; I will come through!

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and encouragement.

Best,

Bill
Hey Bill,

How is everything going for you and the project?

Best,

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your concern and checking in. Health problems are slowing me but not stopping me!

I completed a nice bit of work this past week. And as a "bonus" of this taking longer I now can include some generous contributions from Kenton Knepper.

When referencing his ebook "Pendulum Programming" (http://www.wonderwizards.com/product_info.php?products_id=455), a guide for teaching classes on pendulums to laymen (really so much more), I noted how nicely some parts complemented my own practices. Rather than just citing these ideas Kenton has been kind enough to let me include in detail what I consider some very important work. This way it will all be readily available for readers to study and incorporate into their own work.

Kenton is also letting me teach a different way of holding the multi-bob that I find very useful, especially as my hands have grown less steady with all that is going on of late. But even beyond that I wish I'd known about this from the start and I'm sure many will find it helpful in obtaining the precision that makes multi-bob work so powerful.

And he's even letting me add an effect that is a wonderful illustration of some concepts we share in common. I'm really tapping into a relatively small, but ingenious, portion so I suspect you'll want to check out Pendulum Programming as well. I highly recommend it; thank you so much, Kenton!

And thanks to everyone for your support and continued well wishes. It means a lot to me and I promise your patience will pay off.
The Multi-Bob Book is finally finished! I’ve selected the contest winner and it is……..Trybil, submitted by Entity! The official title is Trybil: AKA The Multi-Bob Book. Tom, please send me an email and we will work out the details for your prizes; a copy of Trybil and a beautiful Multi-Bob pendulum crafted by Rich Hennessey.

Trybil went through quite a transformation in the last few months. When I began working on it my expectations were 40 to 50 pages of information and routines for the Multi-Bob pendulum. It ended up 138 pages long, including the addition of a significant number of effects with standard pendulums!

As I’ve expressed since the beginning, my main goal for Trybil is resurrecting the Multi-Bob pendulum. I have included ample instructions to insure that those inexperienced in using this most elegant of instruments will become confident in their ability to do so. This information will also help the experienced mentalist improve their skills by learning some new approaches.

Another goal is to inspire both the novice and the experienced practitioner to use the Multi-Bob pendulum in performance. By including a wide assortment of high quality effects, offered through the generosity and genius of the contributors, this goal will most certainly be achieved.

As it grew, Trybil also became about promoting the use of the standard pendulum as well. Its versatility allows for the pendulum to be used to create miracles on its own, to enhance many standard effects in mentalism, as an oracle and as a highly effective tool in hypnosis. Once again, due to the contributors, I believe this goal will be met.

Let me give you the final roster of contributors to Trybil; Rich Hennessey, John Riggs, Gerard, Dr. Todd Landman, Faucon of Sakin’el, Ron Martin, Mauricio Jaramillo, Michael Weber, Marc Salem, Docc Hilford, Brad Henderson, Kenton Knepper, Tony Razzano, Keith Barry, and Jerome Finley. I’m sure you will agree that this is quite a “think tank!”

After the foreword and introduction, Rich Hennessey shares how to make “The Office Store Pendulum,” a charming version using items you can obtain at any office or crafts supply store. I offer an impromptu version that can be made up in many situations with things you can find in homes, offices and restaurants.

After this there are three main sections. The first covers how to get the most out of performing with a Multi-Bob pendulum. I share important concepts beginning with how to best hold the rod for different types of Multi-Bobs. From there I discuss how to create “Stillness” as a prelude to achieving “Motion” where and how you want it, with yourself and with audience members. Lastly there is a key essay on “Gauging Responsiveness” which covers how to subtly find those audience members most likely to consciously assist you and also work well on the subconscious level. This information is applicable to all types of performance.

The second section is the “The Multi-Bob Movements.” It is 42 pages long with 16+ effects for Multi-Bob pendulums of all kinds. I added the plus sign because many of the teaching segments, as well as the effects, have others included within. This is a constant in Trybil right up to and including the “In Conclusion” section!

I am honored by the contributions of each and every person named above. I sent drafts to several for comment who responded by asking to share routines of their own. This includes the two most recent contributors, Michael Weber and Marc Salem.

One of Michael’s two effects will teach you, among other things, how to create a Multi-Bob where the cords are all the same length! This is impossible but Michael being Michael does it anyway. The effect that includes this method, “A Branch From The Tree Of Knowledge” is priceless.

Marc Salem shows you how to have an audience member experience a pendulum’s movement from the pendulum’s point of view. He or she becomes “A Living Pendulum!” In addition, there is a very dramatic effect with an audience member operating the Multi-Bob that teaches some important principles.

Mauricio Jaramillo not only contributed three fantastic effects but stepped in to fine tune the layout and convert the Word doc to a pdf. Not only is he a superb mentalist; Mauricio’s work on Trybil is top notch and this is one sharp looking and easy to use ebook!

He embedded the videos, including one of his own, demonstrating his ability at “Long Distance Multibobbing” as used in his effect “Bobbing For ESP.” What you see is just the telekinesis portion of this riveting demonstration of telekinesis and mind reading, performed completely hands off from several feet away! You have to see it to believe it. In service of believing, click [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srh_kdZC3Ms]Long Distance Multibob[/url]to see
"Long Distance Multibobbing."

Faucon of Sakin’el teaches you how to achieve what I consider one of the most unique variants possible with a Multi-Bob. Imagine moving two pendulums, out of anywhere from three to six, but at the same time and in different directions! I won’t lie, this isn’t easy to do and does require a knack to master but once you do, it becomes simple and natural. You’ll have a super ending applicable to many Multi-Bob effects.

The final section, “Swinging Solo” is all about performing with a standard pendulum. It is 42 pages long and includes 9+ effects.

The reason for the same amount of pages covering just a bit more than half as many effects as there are in the Multi-Bob section can be summed up in two words: Jerome Finley.

Jerome’s routines will be published in Thought Veil, his landmark course on hypnosis for mentalists and magicians. This is a limited and expensive release from which he generously gave me 18 pages of fantastic material. Though actually a small portion of the humongous Thought Veil, Jerome provides enough information for you to learn how to easily employ a pendulum to induce and utilize trance.

Docc’s “Dead Or Alive” is arguably the best effect from his Monster Mentalism series of DVDs. Honestly, I didn’t think I had a chance when I asked him if I could include it in Trybil but Docc came through big time!

This is a three phase routine that begins with a striking demonstration of what a pendulum can do, all while in the hands of audience members. Docc proceeds to instruct an audience member on how to use the pendulum to identify a dead name on the back of one of five business cards, the other four representing living people. He concludes by telepathically divining the name of the deceased person.

Brad Henderson’s “Everlasting Pendulum Trick” uses Tarot cards as the geography traversed by the pendulum. A single card from the major arcana is found by the audience member who selected it, using only a pendulum. It plays exceptionally well and is very clean. I predict that many readers will be performing this effect.

Keith Barry’s “Dochreidthe,” which means “Unbelievable” in Gaelic, will teach you how to have a participant use a pendulum to reveal his or her own PIN number. This is done for real notwithstanding Keith’s willingness to cheat a bit if needed!

The two Appendixes also contain valuable material. Millard Longman granted me permission to include Acidus Novus (in Appendix 1), along with an embedded instructional video from his Thought Reading With Billets multi-media CD. They are included in Trybil because Millard is a great guy, a couple of the routines suggest using Acidus Novus and I wanted the ebook to be as complete unto itself as possible.

Appendix 2 contains the essay, “A Suggestion For The Use Of Suggestion” from my ebook Suggestabilities. It is included because it complements some of the instructional material in the first section of Trybil. I believe it will make it easier to acquire needed skills and perspectives.

Phew, I didn’t expect to go on at such length (and there are several effects I didn’t cover!) but I am very excited to finally release Trybil to the fraternity. The price has been raised to $55, given all the additions.

Until the ad is up at Outlaw, Trybil can be ordered directly from me at wcushman@bellsouth.net via PayPal. As always, please feel free to email me with any questions you have.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srh_kdZC3Ms]Long Distance Multibob[/url]
Glad you got it all done, it sounds fantastic!
Dude, you are on your honeymoon! What are you doing online? Now I'm bumming because I had a funny joke in my post just for you then when I realized you'd likely never see it, edited it out! I hope you are having a great time, married man. Love to Liz!
Na I don't leave until Friday, I'll ring you one night this week before I go and you can tell me the joke then ;)
Lovely news, Bill.

I've sent you a PM.

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Cheers,

- entity
Congrats Dr. Bill! Congrats Entity!

I am very excited for this project. Thanks for all the info in this post. I really like DOCC'S ideas as well (for me) the multi object pendulum has much potential.

The above video of the multi-pendy with ESP cards was very nice.

I am sure that this publication will add bits that will go right into my show and add more to what I can offer that is different than other performers.

THANK YOU Dr. Bill for making this available to us.

Well done!

-Scott M
You are welcome Scott. I like what you wrote about already reading effects that will go right into your show. Though please be sure to give them the amount of time to practice and routine they deserve as I'd hate to see you get less of an enthusiastic response than is possible with the material in Trybil.

I didn't expect to hear much given it is Father's Day (to all the other dads out there I hope you had a wonderful day! )but I have had some feedback and it is all good.

Elliot Bressler wrote, "I started reading Trybil, and am having a fantastic time. There are tons of incredibly well thought out tricks and routines that I think audiences will really enjoy. I can’t wait to try some of them out!"

From Bruce Bernstein: "If you're into pendulums at all, then 'Trybil: The Multi-Bob Book" is a work you'll want to give a prominent spot in your bookcase. Not only is there a section focusing on the classic pendulum, but Dr. Bill and his contributors also teach you how to construct 'Multi-Bobs' and offer up a great variety of routines from some of the biggest names around."

Dom Twose wrote, "“Overwhelmingly, Trybil has made me want to get a Multi-Bob! Congratulations on what is sure to be a winner!”

Andrew Gerard said, “This information crosses the barrier between reality and invisible, mystic forces at work. Powerful and in the right hands... real"

Just a taste of what am hearing and what I've known all along. Multi-Bob pendulums simply freak people out! And the standard pendulum does so too, but in a different way.

I'm really looking forward to trying out all the material in Trybil, now that the book is done.! Thanks again Mauricio, Luke and everyone else involved!
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Jun 21, 2010 07:58PM)
Awesome reviews! Nothing better than a new Dr. Bill book.

The multi-bob is such an underused concept and yet it's so easy and amazes so much. I'm using mine every single day. Thanks for putting all the info in one place, it's something that's been needed for decades.
Yes Yes Dr. Bill. I WILL practice way before I put it in. I just meant that I already do some pendy work (Jeromes stuff lead the way for me) and will look forward to adding some of your work (with due practice). I do not add anything unless it is worked out front and back (or side to side or even circles in 'pendy' lingo).

Thanks for the reply...hope you are well!

-Scott M
You're welcome Mauricio. And again, I can't stress enough how helpful you've been througout this time. I agree, the early reviews have been awesome!

One thing that doesn't really fit here but I want to share is that Mauricio apprears quite regularly on Columbian television. He has taken a liking to my Subliminal Square so that tends to get performed quite regularly. I may not know exactly what anyone is saying, but it is still a kick to follow the effect as best I can and watch the audience's reactions at the end! Please keep sending those along with the Multi-Bob effects you will be performing on the talk shows. We'll know once and for all if it is as good a venue as we've speculated for "Hands Off Multi-Bobbing!"

Hey Scott, I hope my comment about giving whatever effect(s) you add proper time didn't sound insulting in any way. It certainly wasn't meant as such. The effects in Trybil are my new babies and I'm just excited to see them gain their feet!

As for my health, thanks for asking. Due to my difficulty walking, intentse paing and not beign able to be reliable, it has been a while since I've earned any money outside the house and it is taking its toll. Daily pain is a b*t*h and I find myself b*t*h*n* more than is typical for me. I've been avoiding doctors since I know they'll want to operate again but that has to come to an end so I can get back to my life. This "half life" sucks! Thanks for asking and as well to all the people who email me with simialry concerns.
The Outlaw ad is now up at:

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/trybil-aka-the-multi-bob-book.html

For those of you would like a preview PDF (also available at the ad) go here:

http://pdfcast.org/download/trybil.pdf
Just when I think I'm done Greg Arce sends me 5 knock out effects I can't NOT share! This is why Mr. Arce scares me! I hesitate to write him with an idea or question because inevitably I get several killer effects in reply. When I originally wrote him about Multi-Bobs it was the first time he didn't have anything up his sleeve, much to my shock. Then when I take a breath...

The details are still up in the air. All will be worked out over the next few days and either an updated edition of Trybil we be created (and sent out to all those who purchased it already) or Greg's effects will be sent out as an extra attachment.

If you've ordered and received Trybil and don't hear from me by next week with the update, PLEASE write me here or at wcushman@bellsouth.net. I'm juggling a lot of things right now so don't hesitate! You do not want to even take a chance of missing out on Greg's routines!
Congratulations to entity......... :-(
I just love the name more and more. Greg's contributions are in the process of being integrated and as long as Mauricio was opening up the patient, I included one more of my own, Trybilyte! If you are familiar with my effect Mentalink from Mind Index it is a more formal Multi-Bob version.
OK, Mauricio is a mad genius speed demon and the Update is completed! Some bad links were fixed in the process as well.

I just sent out the updates. If you do not get them by tonight, let me know as soon as possible. For that matter I wouldn't mind knowing they were succesfully received as BCC is new to me.

Trybil is up to 148 pages now but it is the quality not quantity that is the true value. However, a few more very cool effects doesn't hurt!