(Close Window)
Topic: A Nor Easter is about to hit
I was at the super market this morning and every cash regester was busy. The storm is due to start in about four hours, last until tomorrow, when blizard conditions to take over. Have a nice weekend everybody.
Al, I will miss you.
Best of luck to you Al.
I hope you keep your power.
Bob.
Not to worry Al, Global Warming will defeat that snow....
Message: Posted by: Christopher Rinaldi (Feb 5, 2010 08:01PM)
What snow?

I don't see no snow...not yet anyways...
Don't believe the hype :)
It'll probably snow enough to keep both of the plows in D.C. busy.
Ha! Hey, I was in Boston when it snowed several feet, I almost died of cold five feet from the hotel, I then ran back inside and hid until my flight home.
Exceeding the snow removal budget has become a Thanksgiving tradition here.
The storm is 1/2 over and there is a foot of it on the ground. We now have blizard conditions, everything is blowing around, and I'm sitting by the fire sipping expresso.

Have a nice weekend everyone
Correction 20 inches at 9:00 am, and it is expected to snow until 10 pm tonight.

HOOCHY COOCHY
That is a buttload of snow in a day, Al. How's everybody coping?

John
Message: Posted by: Christopher Rinaldi (Feb 6, 2010 09:17AM)
We got missed here in western mass, actually for the past few years the winters have gotten milder. A couple years ago I barbaqued for x-mas eve dinner.
John
Everything is fine here I just took mom to work, and now I'm home alone.

WHOOPTY DO
Just saw some pictures, and it looks like my sister in Kennett Square, PA, has received what looks to be at least about 2' of snow at her place.

Up here in the great white north, it's all about clear blue skies, -10C (practically balmy for this time of year), with clean streets and very little snow.
Balducci
Your sister's house is about 10 miles away from here.

Everything is plowed now, and we are going out for dinner. Snow what snow?
Al, small world.

My niece (one of them anyway) is at school in Washington D.C. ... experiencing 'Snowmageddon' (according to the Wash Post).
[quote]
On 2010-02-06 15:38, Al Angello wrote:
Everything is plowed now, and we are going out for dinner. Snow what snow?
[/quote]
Lucky you. The county is saying that the earliest we can expect to see a plow is on Tuesday. Will be watching a lot of DVDís in the mean time.
It's missed us here. Barely an inch or two.
We got about 5-7"
Manhattan missed....Darn!
Where I work, we have had to schedule people for field repairs and the earliest we can schedule for is 02/11, and today is 02/08. Installs of new services are being moved from today to 02/18. Have already had two people angry at the long delays, but nothing can be done about it.

We got slammed as well, at least 2-3 feet. Now we're about to be hit again. OH, JOY! It was horrible just getting out from under the first blizzard. What made this really bad was that it was Magifest weekend!
Al...you are like, lemme see....82 years old that would make your mome over 100 years old! Let the girl retire!
We are suppose to get another 18 inches of snow tomorrow night. My refrigerator is full, and the propane man (fire place) is coming tomorrow.

Santa
I'm only 64 years old.
Oh, sorry, I was going by the photo.
Santa
My Hoochy Coochy mama doesn't look anything like she's 100 years old.
Here is a timelapse that someone did on [url=http://dcist.com/2010/02/snowmaggedon_10_in_time_lapse.php] Snowmaggedon[/url].

Looks like we only got around 4" here in Southern Illinois. I am scheduled to be in DC late next week - I hope you guys are dug out by then.
Dude, am I hearing this right? Are you getting another 2 ft?! We'll be a getting a ft or so in CT.
You'll get more snow in a week than we get in the whole of winter. I'm jealous ;)

John
Mike
CNN just predicted 10 to 20 inches, from DC to Long Island. You may get off light.

John
We never get this much either. Global warming you know.
I'd love to see the precipitation here. 30-year drought and all...
You should embrace your drought being it is natural.
Sure, just like embracing polio...
John
Where do you live that they don't have any snow?
Hmmm. May be good time to order take out...
I'm in the province of Alberta, just east of the Rockies.

There is a lot of snow in the mountains, but once you get to the lower ground, there is much less precipitation. When I was a school boy, it was explained that as the clouds rise over the mountains they release most of their moisture, so that they are quite dry when the lower again.

We probably have 1 1/2-2 feet of snow. It hits the ground in November or December and just sits there until spring thaw.

The thing is that the snow is very dry. You can often sweep it off the sidewalks with a broom. Your 20 inches of snow probably has 10x the water content of what's on our ground right now.

John
Even though you get very little snow I'll bet it gets real cold in Alberta.
Heck yeah.

-30C is guaranteed every winter. -40C in the exceptional years.

Today it was a very pleasant and sunny -4C (24F).

Enjoy your warm wet snow.

John

PS the city schools haven't closed for snow or cold in about 60 years.
[quote]
On 2010-02-09 09:17, Al Angello wrote:
Mike
CNN just predicted 10 to 20 inches, from DC to Long Island. You may get off light.

John
We never get this much either. Global warming you know.
[/quote]
I just heard that my sister's home in Kennett Square, PA, lost power for several hours today, has received 18" of snow so far, and has had a state of emergency declared in her region.

Which is worse? Extreme snow, or extreme heat? I'd have to go with extreme snow, so long as the temperatures are just a bit below freezing.

I just saw the following news story on Drudge:

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100210/wl_afp/brazilweatherheatwave_20100210212011[/url]

"RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) Ė The worst heatwave to hit Rio de Janeiro in 50 years turned the city into a pre-Carnival furnace Wednesday, and killed 32 elderly people further south, officials said.

According to the Inmet national weather service, recorded temperatures in Rio were well above 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees) -- and felt more like above 50 degrees.

"The heatwave in Rio is seen as historic. February right now is the hottest month for the past 50 years," meteorologist Giovanni Dolif told the O Globo daily.
[quote]
On 2010-02-09 18:37, Al Angello wrote:
Even though you get very little snow I'll bet it gets real cold in Alberta.
[/quote]
It's actually been a great winter here in Alberta where I live (couple hundred miles south of John). Sunny and mild (-2C) right now, blue skies, fresh air, dry streets, a little bit of snow in the front yard.

When I moved to Alberta nearly 20 years ago, I used to bundle up every winter with a hat and scarf and boots and gloves, and I was still often cold in the winter. Over the years, the first to go was the scarf. A couple of years later, the hat. I pretty much stopped needing winter boots (except for maybe 2 or 3 weeks) for when I am out walking, about 2 or 3 years ago (I foolishly purchased new winter boots a year or two ago, and I've yet to wear them). And I recently realised that I have not needed gloves anytime yet this winter.

We had a couple of weeks of -30C or so temperatures back in December, but that came and went and it has been nice ever since.
Well all I can say to that is "thank God it is not snowing in Haiti"
So basically Alberta went from cold to balmy? What do you think? About 20 degrees warmer now then 20 years ago?
It's global warming Santa.

When the weather man talkes about a cold, dry spell coming from Canada they call it "an Alberta clipper"
Wow.... I tried to figure out what is going on in Alberta with this tragic 30 year drought and man oh man is it schizo. I found one site that was unbiased yet had two links to 'industry causes global warming' and they said that it was below and above average temps in Alberta. I found one site that said that 2007 was a dry year, another that said it was a really wet year, and a third that said beavers should be preserved to avoid droughts, and then there is the El Nino cause sites. The official Alberta site says that temps and rain fall etc always vary from year to year so it is hard to have a standard I guess.

So after my fact checking it shows that Alberta is wet, dry, average, warm, colder than average, and has beavers. Congrats to Alberta, you sick twisted providence you!
[quote]
On 2010-02-10 20:50, MagicSanta wrote:
Wow.... I tried to figure out what is going on in Alberta with this tragic 30 year drought and man oh man is it schizo. I found one site that was unbiased yet had two links to 'industry causes global warming' and they said that it was below and above average temps in Alberta. I found one site that said that 2007 was a dry year, another that said it was a really wet year, and a third that said beavers should be preserved to avoid droughts, and then there is the El Nino cause sites. The official Alberta site says that temps and rain fall etc always vary from year to year so it is hard to have a standard I guess.

So after my fact checking it shows that Alberta is wet, dry, average, warm, colder than average, and has beavers. Congrats to Alberta, you sick twisted providence you!
[/quote]
Probably 'cause Alberta stretches so far north and south, about 750 miles from top border to bottom border, it has a lot of different weather / climate regions.

Allow me to confirm, though, we do have beavers.
Nice....
Balducci is only about 50 miles from the Rockies: it's much windier and drier than it is up here in Edmonton. Southern Alberta's climate is much like Montana's.

I'm 300 km North of Balducci (200 miles) and on the southern edge of the Boreal Forest. The forest is suffering from reduced moisture from the spring thaw (where most of the year's precipitation lies) and warmer-than-recent-historical summers. (By that, I mean compared to most of the last 150 years.) The "urban forest" is under even more stress.

The main difference in the winter is that once it freezes in Edmonton, it stays frozen to the end of winter. The warm mountain winds give Calgary a number of rapid freeze-thaw cycles every winter.

John
So do you hippies have snow for the olympics? I'm gonna be mad if no snow, we have plenty if you need to transfer any of the events to Lake Tahoe.
Eight inches of snow on Monday. Where will we put it?
You say eight inches but that really likely means four....
Santa
My back yard is untouched except for the path that I shoveled to my car port, and it is 3 feet high now.

HOAKEY SMOKEY
We are expecting another foot of snow between now and Friday. I'm on my way to the super market to buy some pasta, and vino.
I'd get a bottle too and an extra lighter. ;)
Stay warm Al.
If we loose electricity we still have the gas fire place. If I loose my high speed internet I will be lost, because my phone, and internet are supplied to me by my cable company. If that goes all I will have left is my cell phone, and my wife.
Nothing better than a bottle of wine in a snow storm. Last storm my wife and I were enjoying a bottle of wine sitting in our indoor sauna as we watched the snow fall.

Were hoping for mostly rain here in Atlantic City this time. However, I have a show in Middletown, Delaware tomorrow.
Drive safely Ken, in Delaware you may run into some freezing rain tomorrow.