(Close Window)
Topic: Half Dollar Shell question
I was wondering which was the better shell for a half dollar

A Tango Expanded Shell or a Johnson Expanded shell?

I wouldn't bother with a shell but I've been thinking of a cool patter for coins across.
I have both. The Tango's relief on the face is very shallow - it looks too flat IMO. The Johnson is pretty much perfect.

At least that's my take on it.

Thanks!

Jim
I agree with J-Mac.

Sammy
I also agree wit J-Mac

Joe
Definitely Johnson. I agree.
Johnson hands down. There IKE Dollar shell is very nice also.
I vote for Johnson on this one. I have many versions and all are great. Clad Kennedy, 64 Kennedy, Ben Franklin, Walker halves. Ike, Morgan and Peace Dollar. All are great. You can't go wrong with Johnson.

But for Tango all I can say is TUC rocks and their Slippery Sam Ike is a winner.

Best

TC
I'm guessing Johnson I'll get. I have a gift certificated from Daytona Magic and I'll see if Harry can get a Johnson shell, if not I'll just get a Tango set till I get the money for a Johnson, and when I get a little more money I'll get the Dean Dill set walking liberties half dollar cause I think they would look better for my routine I'm coming up with http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=351077&forum=3&6
Oddly enough the Tango Ultimate Coins - TUC - are very nice, very realistic looking on the sh*** portion. Yet their Exp sh***s are extremely shallow. I am guessing that it is the process they use to expand the sh***; the stretching flattens it too much.

Just my opinion as I donít know for sure how they make 'em.

Thank you.

Jim
[quote]
On 2010-02-09 16:01, J-Mac wrote:
Oddly enough the Tango Ultimate Coins - TUC - are very nice, very realistic looking on the sh*** portion. Yet their Exp sh***s are extremely shallow. I am guessing that it is the process they use to expand the sh***; the stretching flattens it too much.

Thank you.

Jim
[/quote]

That's exactly how expanded shells are made. The coin is compressed and hollowed out.
I recommend Roy Kuepper's expanded [ to start.
[quote]
On 2010-02-09 22:26, lorenwade wrote:
[quote]

Thank you.

Jim
[/quote]

That's exactly how expanded shells are made. The coin is compressed and hollowed out.
[/quote]

Well there must be some differences because I donít see the same flattening - or at least not to the same degree - in other Exp ['s.

Thank you.

Jim
I have a Johnson one and a Tango one, for me both are excellent, but the Tango expanded shell is made with a new coin of 2009. I think Tango quality is better than Jonhson, but this is a old discussion here, the best you can do is go to the dealer shop and compare them.
[quote]
On 2010-02-10 01:38, J-Mac wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-02-09 22:26, lorenwade wrote:
[quote]

Thank you.

Jim
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well there must be some differences because I donít see the same flattening - or at least not to the same degree - in other Exp ['s.

Thank you.

Jim
[/quote]

Yep, because it depends on how it's done. I guarantee this is how Lassen and Schoolcraft make theirs. They just have a process that's better. How they do it makes the difference.
Dear Willian,

Take our expanded shell and let me know, if you don't like you can send me the coin and I will send back the money.