(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Examinable Packet Trick
Examinable, meaning examinable [b]after[/b] the effect... doesn't have to be before.
Blizzard by Dean Dill.
The Asher Twist--I love it when someone says "You really made it look like you only have 4 cards!"
How about Skinners 3 Card Monte or Color Monte.
Theoretically, any packet trick is examinable if you do a switch. But without one, I'd say Color Monte, Virginia City Shuffle, Twisting The Aces, Daley's Last Trick, and Jazz Aces.
Set-Reset Plus!
Skinner's 3 Card Monte isn't examinable.

I love 'Masque' from Focus.
Color Monte
Color Monte, Paradigm shift, and my own packet trick using 16 normal cards.
Dr. Daley's Last Trick

easy and great!

Hirase
Reset by Paul Harris!
How about "Presto Printo" by Daryl ?

Koji
my own oil and water effect called adagio for dots or colorzone
checkout demo on magicvideodepot.com

vinny
The Invisible Deck

Oh wait, that's not a packet trick...

It's not examinable either...

Sorry.
color monte... also twisting the aces
I'm partial to the Paul Harris "Bizarre" effects -- Twist, Vanish, and Shrink.

Quinn
Ooh, how could I forgotten Cros Twist. Great visual effect (and examinable!).
The Cros Twist is great! SOMETIMES I hand out NFW for a brief second. I use extra sticky so it's hard to come off.
NFW can be completely examinable if one of the persons you're performing to is 'in on it' and they get the right card to look at. I'm sure you know what I mean!

Apart from that I'd have to agree with Color monte - one of my favs ;)

Bilz
Message: Posted by: Craig Krisulevicz (Jun 24, 2003 07:23AM)
Besides all of the previously stated, "My Sister's Dilemma" is another great one.
I don't know who makes it, but The Cheating Gambler is a great effect, that is 100% examinable at the end of the routine.

David.
I would have to say Virginia City Shuffle and Dr. Daley's Last Trick
Reset, Twisting the Aces and Bizarre/Cros Twist are all great and use completely normal cards!

Presto Printo by Daryl...
Doc Daley´s last trick is examinable because I perform it without trick cards...:baby:

Martin
I always get good reactions from Reset and Cros Twist. Sorry - nothing not already mentioned :hrmph:
ESP cards performed by Derren Brown on his Mind Control show.

Can be viewed before and after. That is, if you can tell which one they are thinking of.
:coolspot:
Presto Printo, twisting the aces (not really a packet trick per se), Paramount by Aldo Colombini... that's about all I can think of. I really don't do too many packet tricks.
Paradigm shift, Twisting the Aces...both good ones in my opinion :dance:
Daryl's Cardboard Chameleon is my favorite.

Tomoo
Color monte is a great one, also, ungimicked NFW.
My vote is 'Business Card Bunnies' by
Dick Barry.
I'm suprised no one has mentioned James Swain's Capitulating Cards. You begin dirty but end clean with his superb clean-up. It really is an excellent effect.

Jason
Andrew Miller has an effect called blizzard wave. It is AWESOME and completely examinable.
I'll ditto Dr. Daley's Last Trick--quick, elegant, simple, and blows people away.
As stated many times already. Color Monte!
:bluebikes:
First choice - Elmsley Four Card Trick

Second choice - Mutanz

Dave
Eye Exam, Ungimmicked Twisted sisters
There is an old Emerson and West packet trick called "All The Nonconformists." John Bannon did some work with the plot. There is a version on the Mike Skinner performance-only video.

A friend recently taught me a killer version where all the backs can be shown as red, then as blue, and at the end the backs are mixed red/blue. You end clean. In fact, the spectators are so sure trick cards are used that hading them out gets another gasp. The friend who taught me the effect suggests giving away the cards.

jim
:bikes:
[quote]
On 2003-06-23 22:05, UNREAL wrote:
examinable meaning examinable AFTER the effect doesn't have to be before.
[/quote]

Blizzard's gimmick is not examinable. If you mean to examine the deck, it's ok, but not examinable which means everything.

Bone. :confused:

Anything, but Card Thru Window.

Peace.
Doc Eason's King Arthur's Pub is a great packet effect. It's not examinable but if you present it properly, the finale is examinable and you end clean! I think the important thing in packet effects is that you appear totally clean rather than being actually clean. Effects like NFW, Twisted Sisters, appear to be clean. Something with an ending with all Blank cards or mirrors or some type of unfamiliar prop is something I would not recommend in packet effects.

just my 10 cents

Kelvin Ng :bikes:
I agree with you Dr K but in fairness the Precognition Deck is not a packet trick either ;)

I thought the topic was about examinable packet tricks??

What about 'Out of Order'? An examinable 4 card (riveted) packet trick by some Brit guy living in New York (*cough*)
VIRGINA CITY SHUFFLE
is very examinable this is like Side Walk Shuffle which is not Examinable.
vinny
I agree with Jason. Jim Swain's Capitulating Queens is one strong routine. A lot of magic happens and you are left with 4 odd colored back cards. I use it behind the bar constantly and in my strolling venues. If you are interested, contact Jim or Gary Plants for the effect.
Frank
I love Jim Swain's Turnabout II from his book 'Don't Blink'- The cards just scream to be examined at the end.
It's only examinable in the finale stage when you deal right out in the specs hands, but rainbow cascade from Davenport's is FAB!

Knocks their socks off every time!

Gruff :dance:
In Michael Ammar's ETMCM vol.3 I think...
The Hauted Pack- you're left clean. :vcool:
OK stated after stated COLOR MONTE and stealth pen <<<<<it can be examined if you perform it with a ditch - so don't get at me
Hartman's Over and Over.
Phil Goldstein has a nice one in Focus called Packettrainer. It requires four cards of one suit (Ace to four).

You teach the audience a series of different gestures each of which causes each of the cards to turn face up one at a time. At the conclusion, you show all four cards face down and then hand them to a member of the audience, who snaps his fingers and counts the cards from hand to hand to show a face up ace. The cards can be left with the audience member.

There is also a very good routine with Vernon's Variant in the Ganson Book. Again four ungimmicked cards turn over in your hands but not in those of the spectators.

Cheers
Linds
I guess I'm in the minority. I love Hollingworth's waving the aces. :jump:
I love Waving The Aces too, but it's not examinable.
Good old "ungimmicked" three card monte. Using three cards from their deck that "double flash" and "bent corner" gets em every time. I like Doc Eason's handling on the trick. :bluebikes:
[quote]
On 2003-06-30 02:15, dekerivers wrote:
good old "ungimmicked" three card monte. using three cards from their deck that "double flash" and "bent corner" gets em every time. I like Doc Easons handeling on the trick. :bluebikes:
[/quote]

This thing is my favorite! 3 Card Monte is A LOT OF FUN. Even when my friends know how it's done, I still always win the first 3 times. I love it.

Bone.
[quote]
On 2003-06-30 02:15, dekerivers wrote:
good old "ungimmicked" three card monte. using three cards from their deck that "double flash" and "bent corner" gets em every time. I like Doc Easons handeling on the trick. :bluebikes:
[/quote]

Here's another vote for the old fashioned monte, even though I don't perform it.

When I worked in a magic shop I used to demo a great little packet trick called "Sympathetic Cards". Kind of a difficult effect to describe. I'm not shilling for The Magic Warehouse, but the effect can be found (http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/vidca1.html) on the Vol. 2 of "The Best of Emerson and West" (along with "Know Fu-Ling"). Very startling Rainbow-back finish, everything examinable. You wouldn't think you could conceal that many odd backed cards in this little packet trick, but the construction is excellent.

Paul
DALEY with a CAPITAL D
Paul Harris' Reset

Slebonio :dance:
Off Color Monte by Peter Marshall !
HL's "BEST OF FRIENDS VOL 2".
Check it out!!!

Dennis
:bluebikes:
Bar none, the BEST packet trick EVER, a complete theatrical performance piece, that will absolutely kill, and is relatively easy to do - "Ode to Poker Dan"! 'nuff said..

Best, PSC
I have just obtained Focus. This is full of some of the best packet tricks of all time. Masque is an absolute killer.
Therntier

Yes. Phil hand picked the contents from several years of his published work. Killer stuff in spades.

Over the last couple of days, I have been thinking about this topic. It seems to me that there are only a few ways to get to the end of a packet effect and be totally clean.

Firstly, use an ordinary set of cards. Extract them from a FSDIU and indulge in what Mr Mentzer calls "Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties". Note that during this process there will be times that the packet will be "dirty" as all getout. For example think of some of the uses of the Elmsley count. But, as the man said, clean and examinable at the end is what matters in this thread.

An alternative approach is to employ one or more gaffs in conjunction with ordinary cards to produce the effect. Switch them out at an appropriate stage of proceedings, allowing you to finish clean.

I noticed that the nomination of Michael Skinner's handling of a mechanical monte set generated some passing heat earlier in this thread. To my mind, there is no reason why you can't finish clean from the Skinner monte, if that is what gets a neat windsor knot in your tie.

If you are familiar with the monte routine that Ken Brooke called the "Dutch Looper" you will be half way there. You can access this either through Lewis Ganson's writing in the "Three Card Monte as Entertainment" or in the second part of Darryl's monte video where he concentrates on mechanical monte sets. In both of these sources there is a "clean up" move that will leave you with an examinable money card.

I'll leave cleaning up the second card as an exercise for you, as I don't intend tipping my solution on an open board.

Hope this helps
Linds
I would have to say that my favorites have all been mentioned.

1. Twisting the Aces (any examinable variant), immediately followed by...
2. Dr. Daleys Last Trick
3. Masque
4. Color Monte (most people's first packet trick)

I have been performing Masque for years and by far gets an awesome reaction since it can involve multiple spectators.
My version of Oil and Water with 4 black cards and 4 red cards. All can be examined before and after the effect. If I ever get the time to write my book this will be in it.
Paul, You mentioned "Ode to Poker Dan". Is this examinable? Is the gaff disposed of during the trick? Is the handling such that the spectators won't want to handle the cards?

Thanks for your input.
"A Rebours", an oil-and-water-ish trick using normal cards from "The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley, Vol 1"

Twisting Aces--someone said Twisting isn't really a packet trick..... looks like a packet, smells like a packet, feels like a packet....

Transmutation, from George McBride's "Best of Osmosis"... one part ambition, one part Daley....with a surprise at the end
[quote]
On 2003-07-03 10:06, dmk_kirkland wrote:
Paul, You mentioned "Ode to Poker Dan". Is this examinable? Is the gaff disposed of during the trick? Is the handling such that the spectators won't want to handle the cards?

Thanks for your input.
[/quote]

The correct title is "Owed to Poker Dan," and you can find out a tad more about it (although, granted, not enough to answer your questions) here:

http://thinklikeaconjurer.com/all24rbps/poker/pokercover.htm

L-
Whoops, sorry about that. You're correct Lance. I should be more careful.
The best examinable packet effect I know of is made by Hippie Torrales. I found it in Apocalypse volume 13 number 3 called "Queens' Tour." It's a very magical effect!
The effect is 4 red back queens change to blue back queens. Those queens change to blue back aces. The aces change to red back aces and the blue back queens are produced from four different pockets!!
Page Three of this thread and no one has mentioned anything by Brother John Hamman. What is this world coming to? My vote goes to "The Gemini Twins" and/or "The Pinocle Trick", with consideration to "The Two Card Trick" and "Mystic Nine" and possibly the strongest trick possible with a small number of cards isolated from the deck...The Signed Card. (alhough it does involve a selection)

Also necessary to note: Larry Jennings' KVJ Oil and Water and Ambitious Classic, and Harry Anderson's "Final Monte".
How can you go wrong with Harris' "bizarre twist" (with Cross' handling)?

Also, you can't get any stronger with package tricks than Ortiz' Jumping Gemini.

Ambitious classic is also a killer.

But at the end of the day, I have to go with Re-set (with a lil'twist to it) and Jumping Gemini.

:righton:
[quote]
On 2003-07-03 20:00, Curtis Kam wrote:
Page Three of this thread and no one has mentioned anything by Brother John Hamman. What is this world coming to? My vote goes to "The Gemini Twins" and/or "The Pinocle Trick", with consideration to "The Two Card Trick" and "Mystic Nine" and possibly the strongest trick possible with a small number of cards isolated from the deck...The Signed Card. (alhough it does involve a selection)
[/quote]

I've seen Gemini Twins on Ammars ETMCM vol. 3 but wasn't that impressed by the performance and didn't bother to learn it.
Have I got it all wrong and missed out on a real gem?
How well does this effect play to laymen when you perform it?

Mine would probably be Paul Harris' Cros-twist - bizarre vanish routine.
Oh yeah! How can I forget about 'Bizarre Vanish?' I like that effect. I really like 'Twisted Sister,' and let's not forget 'Red Hot Momma.'
Curtis

I agree that Bro Hamman was a very great influence in this area. In fact the book by Richard Kaufman and the tribute issue of Genii are veritable treasure troves of this kind of material.

But I would be concerned about putting a packet of cards that had been used in most gemini count routines in the hands of the punters. This would include The Twins and Ortiz' Jumping Gemini.

That count produces a certain effect from a packet of cards and a free examination of them would allow the audience to develop an explanation for what they had seen. The explanation would not be that something impossible had just occurred.

Now, it is possible to produce the effect of Dr Daley's Last Trick with the Gemini Count. Since you're using four Aces only, the packet is examinable at the end. No problem.

If you want to hand out the packet for Bro Hamman's The Twins, I suggest you take a look a Bill Malone's work with this in the "On The Loose" videos. While he does do the routine sitting down and his clean up depends on this, you can fairly easily substitute something else to clean up when performing on your feet.

Back to Bro Hamman and how he managed packet magic. There is a tip in the Kaufman book that is worth the price of entry. Apparently, the reverend brother used to stack a deck with the packets he intended to use in a performance, taking them off the top in program order and returning them to the bottom when finished. Now that sure beats repeatedly pulling sets of cards out of little vinyl wallets and putting them back afterwards. :rotf:
Wow, I can't believe I've only seen Paradigm Shift mentioned twice.

This is the trick that I'm constantly asked to perform and it ends perfectly examinable (in fact, it's part of the routine).

I hope this hasn't been mentioned because it was forgotten about and not because you all aren't familiar with it. Amazing, amazing effect.

for a demo : http://www.calmagic.com/paradigmshiftmov.html

Also, I underestimated Gemini Twins based on Ammar's performance on ETMCMs, but took the time out to learn it anyway. To my surprise, it's now my second most requested effect.

Gemini Twins hits HARD. Learn it; it's worth the time.
Yup, Gemini Twins is a real crowd-pleaser. I love doing it.
[quote]
On 2003-07-05 15:56, Hayze wrote:

Also, I underestimated Gemini Twins based on Ammar's performance on ETMCMs, but took the time out to learn it anyway. To my surprise, it's now my second most requested effect.

Gemini Twins hits HARD. Learn it, it's worth the time.

[/quote]

Maybe I'll have to give it a go then. To me when watching it the method just seemed glaringly obvious but maybe I'm watching through magician's eyes so I'll have to get some laymen's reactions and see how it really plays.

I'm still not sure the cards could be examined afterwards though... wouldn't this just give away the whole effect?

Hmmm. Either waving the aces or reset. Although I don't do many packet tricks. I saw paradigm shift a long time ago and it floored me. I need to pick it up.

Michael
Gemini twins with Malone's finish
Temptation by Gordon Bean
Shenanigans by Aldo Colombini
Obi Wan

My point exactly. If you hand out the Twins packet at the finish, the punters will see something other than they expect, and could fairly readily deduce how it was done. As I said earlier, this also applies to Jumping Gemini, another of may favourite pieces.

It's one of the reasons for referring to the Bill Malone thing. It is a lovely get away.
Lind, I'm afraid you're right. The title to the thread does indeed specify "EXAMINABLE packet trick", and thus it would be fair to assume that the cards will be examined in the end. (Shame also on those who suggested more than one "trick".)

That said, the Brother Hamman effects (with the exception of "the Signed Card") are not responsive. As you point out, they are designed to exploit the mystery created when the cards are NOT plunked into the hands of the spectators. Frankly, there are myriads of better endings imaginable than "Here, check these out and find nothing".

The Hamman effects do have many of the practical attributes of EXAMINABLE packet tricks, in that the cards handle exactly like ungimmicked cards, (no weird lighting or viewing considerations, no finding the "proper end", no reliance on stickum or goo) they are readily available in a regular deck, and they can be placed in the spectator's hands during the effect (but no examination allowed, for presentational reasons)For those reasons, I think they may be of interest to those seeking EXAMINABLE packet tricks.

Regarding the "Gemini Twins", read what Kaufman says about the differing effects this trick has in the minds of different spectators. The impact the trick has will vary from person to person, depending on suggestibility. Believe me, I have met people who will swear that throughout the Gemini Twins, they saw No Duplicates. Imagine the effect on these people. They know there are only four cards, and they came from an ordinary deck, but they have seen the cards have eight different faces. The same is true of the Pinocle trick. The same is not necessarily true of "improvements" some have made.

If you've got grabby audiences, you can try handling the effect the way I do: Introduce the concept of matching pairs of cards, but Never say "identical" or "duplicates". Say something specific in concept, but vague in the particular, like "This is the story of four cards that hung around eachother so long they began to resemble eachother..."

Have a spectator hold out her hand, and promise not to move. You then proceed with the routine, dropping the clearly single cards onto her hand. With each phase, the suspense will increase. I conclude by saying "And that's the story of the one, two, three, four cards...the end" I am dealing the cards onto the deck as I say this, and then give the deck one cut as I say "the end". During the applause, I give the deck a quick sloppy faro, and table it. Anyone so possessed can now pick up the deck and examine it.

The same approach works for the Pinocle trick.

Hope you all try it.
[quote]
On 2003-07-05 15:56, Hayze wrote:
Wow, I can't believe I've only seen Paradigm Shift mentioned twice.

This is the trick that I'm constantly asked to perform and it ends perfectly examinable (in fact, it's part of the routine).
[/quote]

Hayze has started off some other echoes rattling around my old skull. There's an audience management issue lurking at the back of all this somewhere, I think.

What are the consequences of allowing the cards to be examined for one effect? Depending on how you handle it, you may well be making things hard for yourself. If the audience learns that it can look at the cards after one effect, its members may assume that this is OK after every effect. We know that is not always the case. If they demand to do so, it could precipitate a problem spot.

This would arise particularly if the cards were handed out in a "challenge". Darwin Ortiz deals with this aspect quite well in his book Strong Magic.

As some of the other posts have indicated, there are truckloads of very strong packet tricks that do not end up examinable. Seems a shame to exclude them from your repertoire because they fail this test. That's partly why I've suggested looking for ways to clean up some of these.

Back to Bro Hammond and his stacked deck that I mentioned in an earlier post. I suspect it didn't matter a jot that he didn't pass the cards out after the twins, or any other of his gaffed effects. The cards came out of a deck, he entertained the audience they went back into the deck. Bro Hamman was acting completely indifferently about the means, in performance the effect was his end.

Now try this for an idea. If you watch Bill Malone perform on any of the On the Loose Videos, you will see him continually shuffling the cards and doing a running cut from his hands to the table. If anyone in the audience cared about the cards, they would probably conclude that they were ordinary and very thoroughly mixed. Bill shows on the tapes that nothing is further from the truth.

Now this won't work for everyone, but if you combined the Bro Hamman idea with this last it wouldn't matter whether the cards were examinable or not.

The idea is to set the deck with the cards required for a program in order of performance. To start, uncase the deck, shuffle the cards, running cut to table. For example say, "I need just four cards for this bit I want show you," take them off the top and you're away. At the finish, square the four cards face down, drop the deck on top, false shuffle and go on to the next.

But I'm straying from the topic...... :)
[quote]Page Three of this thread and no one has mentioned anything by Brother John Hamman. What is this world coming to? My vote goes to "The Gemini Twins" and/or "The Pinocle Trick"[/quote]

Hey Kurtis, have you checked out Frank Simon's Versatile Card Magic 'revisted'
he has an effect called `Keep on cloning' which are nearly identical to Bro.john Hammon's Pinocle. (only 4 cards)

So I guess mine has to be.

Keep on Cloning....... Frank Simon.
Masquerade............. Phil Goldstein.
Colour Monte........... Jim Temple? (Emmerson & West)?
Gypsy Monte............ Paul R. Wilson.
Twisting the Aces..... Dai vernon.
4 card trick.............. Alex Elmsley.
Any packet trick........ Walt Maddison.
It cant be any slower. Rene Levande.
Reset...................... Paul Harris.
Virginia City Shuffle..... Martin Lewis, Louis Falanga, John Luka.
I'd add Sympathetic Cards to the list. Originally from Emerson West, but with a little effort you can make up your own set, since it really uses regular cards. They just need varying backs.
Not original but still get my vote:
Color Monte
Cros Twist
I would have to say Twilight Angels, now that's one piece of amazing, visual and examinable magic by the genius that is Paul Harris.

And of course, who can forget Dr. Daley's Last Trick?

Reset is another hot one.

Take care,

Logan
My vote is Virginia City Shuffle.
when you turn over the last 2 aces jaws drop!!
Paul
Has to be Virginia City Shuffle.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jul 23, 2003 01:28PM)
cannibal cards
follow the leader
reset
devil's elevator
open travellers
... just to name a few
Asher twist, twisting the aces, colour monte,
I like the McClintock Twist, or Bizarre Twist as my 2 favs. :cool:
My favorite packet effects are:

Look-an-illusion, Uniflection and The Ambitious Classic by Larry Jennings

Standard routiens like Twisting the Aces, Daley's Last trick and Reset are all fabulous because the cards come from the deck in use and not from some plastic wallet.

One more for the road which is outstanding is The Interchange by Gary Kurtz; this effect is a stand-up transposition of eight cads and is awesome.

Michael Vincent
Virginia City Shuffle
Twisting the Aces
Ungimmicked Twisted sisters

One I don´t know the name : you show the deck divided in two parts (not in diagonal like "split deck")then spread one of the halves on the table face down and spread in your hands the other half face up. Spectator selects one piece from the table (without look the face) and put where he wants face down in the face up half in your hands. You spread the face up pieces on the table and remove the face down piece and the piece above. You show the backs match (gag) and the faces match too

Now you show that all other face up pieces have blank backs and finally that all other face down cards have blank faces.
Please if anybody knows the name, let me know.
Maybe card warp isn't a packet trick, I don't know, but card warp really freaks people out. It's perfectly examinable at the end. I'm surprised no one else mentioned it. Now is there a limit of cards you need to use to qualify as a packet trick? How do you define it, really? I'm just curious. Anyway other faves are twisting the aces, Dr. Daley's last card trick, and reset even though I haven't performed it yet, Ed, (Eddini). :) :bluebikes:
My favorite examinable packet trick would have to be

Color Monte
Oil and Water
Queens out of Control (or Paradigm shift)
Jumping Gemini-Darwin Ortiz
Twisting the Aces-Dai Vernon
Bizarre Twist-Paul Harris
As well as any of Paul Harris' linking card effects.
Andre
A Bicycle Built for Five
I'd have to put some more votes for Color Monte, Virginia City Shuffle, and Twisting The Aces.
52 pick up
Color Monte and Twisting the Aces. Oh also Pet Intelligence is also good.
Color monte is my choice. An all-time classic.
Cheating by David Regal, it might not really be a packet trick because you do some stuff with the deck at the begining and end, but most of it is in the hands with only a few cards.

Adam
4 pages and no one mentioned Richard Sanders "Picture This"!! This may not be examinable but with my handling it is.

Just my 2 cents

Coolleprechaun
My take would be:

jazz aces
twisting the aces
color monte
queens out of control
As mentioned numerous times already, [b]Color Monte[/b] and [b]Dr. Daley's Last Trick[/b]. [b]Daryl's Presto Printo[/b] is also superb and well worthy of a mention.
[quote]
On 2003-06-25 14:01, Jim Short wrote:

A friend recently taught me a killer version where all the backs can be shown as red, then as blue, and at the end the backs are mixed red/blue. You end clean. In fact, the spectators are so sure trick cards are used that hading them out gets another gasp. The friend who taught me the effect suggests giving away the cards.

jim
:bikes:
[/quote]
Sounds a little like the Svengali Riffle, except that it's the color of the backs that change not the color of the faces. The Svengali Riffle can be done with a Stripper dack and I'm pretty sure is examinable.

Besides Virgina City Shuffle, Color Monte and Twisting the Aces,I also like the Three Card Monte.
Ungimmicked NFW and color monte.
I have never done a packet trick where someone wanted to examine the cards.
[quote]
On 2004-06-26 03:02, Jordini wrote:
I have never done a packet trick where someone wanted to examine the cards.
[/quote]

EXACTLY! Packet tricks don't need the cards to be examined! The magic isn't in the cards it's in you and the audience know that.
Though, going along with the thread, I'd have to agree with Colour Monte.

-Niko
My favorite packet effect, bar none, is Terry LaGerould's "Cheesecake" routine, done with cards from a regular, shuffled deck. The original write-up is next to impossible to find today. It's a nice 3-4 minute routine, and features 19 effects in that short time span, including awesome versions of Twisting the Aces, Cannibal Cards, and more!
Favorite examinable packet tricks... A very good question since, in my opinion, MOST all packet tricks achieve such incredible effects that the cards are screaming to be examined. When people see such amazing things as the backs and faces changing colors 3 or 4 times they WILL suspect that the cards must be "special" even if they don't actually say "let me see those cards." If you happen to think for one moment that people wouldn't like to see the cards (even if only thinking that to themselves) you are deceiving YOURSELF, it's that simple).

Of course, there are some packet tricks that do not arouse any suspicion (even if they are GAFFED TO THE HILT!). Twisted Sisters and Skinner's 3 Card Monte are good examples of such effects (hey the faces and backs didn't change colors half a dozen times!). What must be kept in mind is whether or not the EFFECT lends itself to what I have dubbed the "Reach Response."

Nobody ever suspects the cards to be gaffed in Twisted Sister (they feel like they saw both sides of all of the cards anyway). However, try this little experiment: pull 4 regular aces out of a small wallet/envelope (as opposed to removing them from a deck) and then perform Twisting the Aces and maybe even Daley's Last Trick with them (but do not use the spectator's hand during any of the handling). When you finish the trick(s), quickly put the cards back in their little envelope/wallet.
You better believe that their is heat on those cards (even though WE know they are ungaffed). If you don't let them look at the cards, then they WILL conclude (in their minds) that it was the CARDS and not YOU that was responsible for the amazement. It's all about the audiences PERSPECTIVE. If you/we keep that foremost in our mind, it's easy to see which effects need to be examined (for a deeper level of conviction) and which do not.

Consider the effectiveness/degree of conviction of a cut and restored rope routine where you COULD NOT give the rope away to a spectator at the end.
It will lose impact. Regardless of whether or not you used rope m****ts or not, the audience will suspect that SOMETHING must be fishy with the rope.

At any rate, here are some of the packet tricks I'm voting on. Most have already been mentioned (which is a testament to their strength).

Color Monte - I can't tell you how often people go through all kinds of gyrations when examining the cards. They are convinced that it's heat or something that changes them.

Return of the Magnificent 7 - I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet. An examinable/totally clean version of Wild Card. What normal person WOULDN'T want to examine the cards after seeing 7 wild cards change to match whatever card they cut to? I actually give the 7 cards away to the spectator to keep as a souvineer. Nothing dispells "must be using trick cards" theory quite like GIVING THEM AWAY.

Cardboard Chameleons - Again, if you were NOT a magician, wouldn't you be DYING to check out those cards? Nuff said.

Virginia City Shuffle - I use my own altered handling which seems to show the blank cards more often and more freely. Essentially, I just routined it to add additional "convincers" regarding the blank cards (other than the r******d fan and Flustration count). By doing this, I've also added the element of PROGRESSION that the trick needed (as opposed to repetion).

Kaminskas' Rainbow Connection - Again, surprised nobody has mentioned this one either. Essentially an ungaffed/examinable version of Bannon's Stranger's Gallery. Neither of these is a "true" packet trick in the traditional sense, but both pretty much become a packet trick once the 4 initial cards are removed from the deck.

Eye Exam - My handling/presentation does end examinable (with no p***ing or switching).
Wespetty - thanks for that. A very interesting read. :)
My choice Color Monte, I agree most people think it is the heat from your hands changes them.
Paul Harris's Imaculate connection not only are the cards examinable but the spectators can keep them fo a souviner
And as Paul states enoughj said
vinny
My all time fav. that is examinable is "Emerson & West prsent, Magic Ronnay with Sympathetic Cards." It's a trick with two sets of four cards that are shown. One card is turned over and the rest of the pack all turns over. The routine goes on to the end where they (the cards) are unable to do the trick any more because they are all "from different backgrounds". Even though you showed the backs to be all red bicycle cards, they are now all different colors and backgrounds. Totally examinable. Nice trick.
Jordini - Folks wanting to examine cards from a packet trick is not all bad. Queens Out of Control is one of my favorites and it helps make the trick when the spectator realizes that they can grab the 5 different color queens, and the 3 jokers, after you have clearly shown 8 red backed queens. Their examination, in my opinion, only makes the effect stronger.
I have been doing magic since I was about 5 or 6 years old, (I'm 32 now) and I have found that over the years people really started to wonder how my tricks were done. My friens all want to grab whatever it is in my hands to view it and see if they can figure it out. That's why I always prefer to have an examinable trick. I love the looks on their faces when they realize that they have no idea how I did it.
[quote]
On 2005-02-02 19:14, Roger Kelly wrote:
Wespetty - thanks for that. A very interesting read. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words Roger.

Somehow in all my years of magic I've never come across (nor seen performed) the "Sympathetic Cards" effect that has been mentioned. Anyone know where I could see a clip of a performance?

I also forgot to mention Presto Printo in my previous post.

Cheers, Wes
Wes

"Sympathetic Cards" sometimes know as Sympathetic Aces or Paradigm Shift is very similar to "Queens Out of Control." It is fair to say that with Sympathetic Cards, there is an 'extra' card to that of QOOC and the handling varies (there's a few J****n c****s as well as the E******s) but the effect is pretty much the same.

QOOC can be viewed here - just scroll down to the relevant section and click on the option of movies appropriate to your connection speed:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/browse.php?searchString=queens&x=14&y=10

Incidentally I've just purchased a set of QOOC from Neil Lester at Cards By Martin ( http://www.cardsbymartin.com ) in Tally Ho circle backs. The alternative backs (for those that are familiar with this effect) are multicoloured Tallies with a Garfield Cat holding a magic wand and a top hat. A nice ending having just repeatedly shown red Tally Ho circle backs.

QOOC is probably the best packet trick out there. (imho) Never had anything less than a "WOW" from this. AND, the best part is - you can leave the cards on the table as they are totally examinable! I can't remember who hasn't gone straight for the cards at the end. Hmmm - must get another set!!

If anyone know of any video demo's of Sympatheics or Paradigm Shift - can they post the link here please? Thanks

RK
Doc. Daley's Last Trick and Twisting the Aces. Go from one to the other, from a regular deck and the packets can be examined.
[quote]
On 2005-02-02 21:45, tgroenjes wrote:
I have been doing magic since I was about 5 or 6 years old, (I'm 32 now) and I have found that over the years people really started to wonder how my tricks were done. My friens all want to grab whatever it is in my hands to view it and see if they can figure it out. That's why I always prefer to have an examinable trick. I love the looks on their faces when they realize that they have no idea how I did it.
[/quote]

I saw tgroenjes do this a handful of years ago and it was a wonderful effect! highly recommended. I did ask to see the packet and he gave it to me.
Blizzard, color monte, reset, Ricochet (with a switch).
Message: Posted by: TommyTheTremendous (Feb 3, 2005 11:47PM)
Out Of This World is one of my best tricks that I do for my peers.
Wespetty is right:Return of the Magnificent Seven by John bannon is a gem of an effect!!!

Great list you had there!!
Well, I'll have to video me doing the effect and put it up for you guys. (The Sympathetic Card Trick) It's REALLY good, imho. People always ask how the backs changed colors. They think it's something to do with heat that changes them. I also do a variation on the move that's in the instructions for it, and I believe it's better than the way you are supposed to do it. (It hides a no so sneaky move)

I'm going out of town this weekend, but when I get back I'll video it for you all.

Trevor
[quote]
On 2005-02-04 01:32, tgroenjes wrote:
Well, I'll have to video me doing the effect and put it up for you guys. (The Sympathetic Card Trick) It's REALLY good, imho. People always ask how the backs changed colors. They think it's something to do with heat that changes them. I also do a variation on the move that's in the instructions for it, and I believe it's better than the way you are supposed to do it. (It hides a no so sneaky move)

I'm going out of town this weekend, but when I get back I'll video it for you all.

Trevor
[/quote]

Thanks Trevor, I look forward to finally seeing a version of it. Hard to believe I've gone this long and have never actually seen it.

Cheers, Wes
Yep, I'll look forward to that too! :)
I'm with trevor on this trick. I love the sympthetic card trick. The first Packet trick I ever purchased.
Temptation is fantastic
How is Blizzard a Packet trick? Surely packet tricks are tricks where you have a small PACKET of cards, and not the full deck?
[quote]
On 2005-02-04 12:15, Niko wrote:
How is Blizzard a Packet trick? Surely packet tricks are tricks where you have a small PACKET of cards, and not the full deck?
[/quote]

The same goes for "Out of This World" that somehow finds it's way onto this topic. :)
Another one for colour monte,the one that I perform the most though has to be dr daley's last trick.
I do have another packet trick that I keep in the same wallet with my Sympathetic Cards trick. Since so many people are mentioning "Color Monte" I thought I'd mention the one that I do... I don't know the name of it, since I learned it so many years ago... Anyway here's how it goes:

The magician talks about three card monte, and explains that he saw a guy once do it with FOUR cards. The magician then proceeds to show three blank cards, and an Ace of Hearts. He said "All he did was place one of the blank cards over here on the table, and then he placed the ace in between the other two cards. He counted them one, two three, from one hand to another, and all I had to do was find the ace". Of course the spectator chooses the center card, but you turn that over to reveal a blank card. You then turn over the card on the table, and it's the Ace. You proceed to do the trick a second time, again fooling them. On the third time, you tell them that you are going to make it easy on them. You show the blank card going down onto the table. You show the ace going into the center of the other two cards, and then you SLOWLY count one, two, three. At this point you say that the guy he was showing the trick to said, "I know what you did now!! And he says, THERE! There is the ace on the table!" You turn over the tabled card, and alas, it's blank. You then say, "I told you I was going to make it easy on you... all you had to do is pick one of these!" You then turn over all three cards in your hand, and they are ALL Ace of Hearts!

Great trick! deichler can attest to that! :) I may have to video that one too, if you are interested...

Also, does anyone know the name of the above trick? I saw it when I was a kid, and I figured out how to do it, and have been doing it ever since.

Trevor
Virginia City Shuffle perhaps? On one of the Ammar Easy To Master card Tricks videos so perhaps not ALL that many years ago. This is a nion gaffed version of Martin Lewis's "Sidewalk Shuffle" which was based on Joe Riding's non gaffed "Three Card trick With Four Cards".

Bob King also had a routine where he pretty much duplicated Sidewalk Shuffle without gaffs which to me was better.

Paul.
Virginia City shuffle is on Etmcm volume 5.
Trevor,

Sounds like "Virginia City Shuffle" (Lewis/Falanga/Luka) as performed and explained by Michael Ammar on ETMCM Vol 5. It is fantastic isn't it. I always introduce as "the three card tick - with er, four cards!"

RK
Twisting the Aces, a classic
"Hardcore Packet" by Richard Sanders
Road rage par bernard bilis
Color Monte is a great packet trick.
Hey all

I know I've joined this topic REALLY late.. but I thought I needed to add one effect that is shockingly absent from anyone's list: Card Warp.

I think it classifies as a packet trick and without a doubt, when I perform it, the spectator looks at those cards for about a minute.

In theory, the cards could be examined BEFORE too.. but I prefer to gaff mine in advance.

Other faves would be 'Twisting the Aces', 'Oil & Water', 'Cros Twist'. I don't know 'Color Monte' or 'Doc Daley' but I will have to look them up.

Syd
Intuition/Out of the Blue by John Guastaferro (Brainstorm Vol 2).

The color change at the end is quite stunning, plus everything's examinable at the end (except the spectator).

Rick
Twisting the Aces. Even works a charm using animal cards for kids and having each animal roll over when called to.
For me it's "this, that and the other" a version of the colour monte (same moves different cards)
For me it's "this, that and the other" a version of the colour monte (same moves different cards)
Sympathetic Cards is definitely one of my favorite packet effects to perform. Lately, I have been using a version I bought from Aldo Colombini that uses Leprechauns and pots of gold instead of aces and jokers. Another really good packet effect with examinable cards is Alexander De Cova's Wild Card. I also use Poor Man's Monte which is on a Harry Lorayne video(It's an ungaffed Sidewalk Shuffle with no blank cards). Those three are my favorite packet effects.
I'd have to say Color Monte (though I often do it with "normal" cards), Reset, and a variation on Dr. Daley's Last Trick.

Honestly don't do a whole lot of packet tricks, though ...
Color Monte
Dr Daley's Last Trick
Assuming the post means you end up clean with no switches which I believe the intent was, I have to vote for the color monte (or no gaffed monte) and gemini twins.
Rainbow cascade by roy walton
Dr Daley (with a different ending I came up with)
and Card Warp.
Another vote for J Guastaferro Intuition and Out of the blue. A very complete routine with strong magic that fooled magicians !
Bro. Hamman's Twins.
Color monte for me.
Intuition and Out of the Blue make a fantastic little routine together.

I don't know if you'd consider Guy Hollingworth's 'Quartet' Card Routines "packet tricks", but they are great. And if you follow the instructions in his booklet, you end clean and examinable.
Did anyone mention Color Monte..WOW what a crowd pleaser. One I really like and did not get a mention at all. Roy Walton's "Cascade"...One super neat packet effect that is totally examinable...
Rennie
[quote]
On 2006-07-07 17:34, Rennie wrote:
Did anyone mention Color Monte..WOW what a crowd pleaser. One I really like and did not get a mention at all. Roy Walton's "Cascade"...One super neat packet effect that is totally examinable...
Rennie
[/quote]
Check 2 posts above yours... :) ...
Joseph,
I was joking. Color Monte was mentioned many, many times. That is why I said it was a crowd pleaser...No one mentioned Cascade though..
Rennie
So was I...Just came out poorly....
For me, Sympathetic Cards by Ronnay. Multiple color changes, multiple face changes. At the end, with all backs different colors, you can leave them for examination until the spectator's blue in the face. Nothing to find, nothing added, nothing taken away.

DonB!
Does anyone know if Peter Duffie's "Dazzle" is examinable?
Adam: Do you mean "Dazed?" Did Duffie have an effect called "Dazzle?" Nick Trost had "Razzle Dazzle" ...
Sorry.....yes, I mean "Dazed".
First tricks came to my mind...

Reset
Jazz Aces
Dr.Daley´s Last Trick
Packettrainer
New Faces 1-2-3
Gemini Trick
Asher Twist
Travellers
Dr. Daley's Last Trick
Oh, and I almost forget maxi-twist with clean-up ;p
OUT OF ORDER ( Angelo Carbone)
JUMBO COINCINDENCE ( Aldo Colombini)
I do not believe Dazed is examinable.

For those of you who own the Complete Roy Walton vol. 2, check out Travelling Man. Reminds one of a Twisted Sisters type effect. Four blue backed kings, four red backed kings. The spectator picks which two will transpose. Then it happens again under the spectator's hand. And it's completely examinable. Great trick.

Other than that, my favorite examinable packet trick is my own Marked Jokers routine.
1. Presto Printo (Daryl)
2. Jumbo Coincidence (Colombini)
3. 3 Ball (Garrett Thomas)
4. In a Flash (Sankey)
Rainbow Cascade
Bring Me The Head Of A Packet Trick
Split Decision (if you can call that a packet trick)
[quote]
On 2005-02-04 15:04, tgroenjes wrote:
I do have another packet trick that I keep in the same wallet with my Sympathetic Cards trick. Since so many people are mentioning "Color Monte" I thought I'd mention the one that I do... I don't know the name of it, since I learned it so many years ago... Anyway here's how it goes:

The magician talks about three card monte, and explains that he saw a guy once do it with FOUR cards. The magician then proceeds to show three blank cards, and an Ace of Hearts. He said "All he did was place one of the blank cards over here on the table, and then he placed the ace in between the other two cards. He counted them one, two three, from one hand to another, and all I had to do was find the ace". Of course the spectator chooses the center card, but you turn that over to reveal a blank card. You then turn over the card on the table, and it's the Ace. You proceed to do the trick a second time, again fooling them. On the third time, you tell them that you are going to make it easy on them. You show the blank card going down onto the table. You show the ace going into the center of the other two cards, and then you SLOWLY count one, two, three. At this point you say that the guy he was showing the trick to said, "I know what you did now!! And he says, THERE! There is the ace on the table!" You turn over the tabled card, and alas, it's blank. You then say, "I told you I was going to make it easy on you... all you had to do is pick one of these!" You then turn over all three cards in your hand, and they are ALL Ace of Hearts!

Great trick! deichler can attest to that! :) I may have to video that one too, if you are interested...

Also, does anyone know the name of the above trick? I saw it when I was a kid, and I figured out how to do it, and have been doing it ever since.

Trevor
[/quote]

There is a GREAT effect by Richard Vollmer called "Poor Man's Monte". It is in Apocalypse. The effect you describe is dead on the same as the Vollmer effect. If anyone is interested, I will find the volume and number for you.
[quote]
On 2006-07-05 05:04, Bursky wrote:
Bro. Hamman's Twins.
[/quote]
Doesn't showing the cards after this trick spoil the effect? I have had most people ask to look at the cards (which I do not show) after I am done, even though there is only one logical explanation.
One of favorites is B'Wave. I have used this in nearly every venue I perform. This includes trade show booths and stage shows with 2000 people in the audience.
I am assumisng that you use the giant version of B'Wave (put out by Meir Yedid) For yours tage shows right? Those regular bikes would present a visual problem from the stage...Actually I bought my version from Duane Laflin who markets the effect combined with an instructional DVD and a simple but deceptive stand that makes the handling much smoother and allows for a visual display of the cards up to the last moment!