(Close Window)
Topic: Review: Keymaster
Review: Keymaster

The Effect:
A key is shown and handed to the spectator to hold. Another key is shown (and examined) before the magician visibly removes the hole from the key (making it solid) and makes it appear on the key in the spectator’s hand. This key now has two holes in it.

The magician picks up the key with two holes in it, and gives the spectator the solid key. He takes one of the holes from the key and decides to repeat the effect and throws the hole back at the spectator’s key. Only this time, the hole is in the middle of the stem, rather than the round part.

Everything can now be examined.

In a nutshell:
I love this trick. Its ‘street’ value is through the roof. It looks cool, has strong visual moments and is practical for everyday carrying around. When asked to perform an effect, it looks natural to have keys in your pocket and be ready to perform, unlike playing cards, which make you look ‘geeky’ if you have those in your pocket 24/7.

The keys:
There are 3 gimmicked keys. All of which you will find almost impossible to make yourself. Trust me, I tried getting a key trick made a year ago and hit brick walls in the process. So I don’t know how Craig did it, but he has and you will need his DVD & props to perform this trick. The keys are solid metal, and will last a lifetime.

The keys are left uncut. This allows you to go into a key-cutters and have the keys cut to match your own house keys. It therefore makes the trick practical and useful, along with being a trick.
However, one key has a hole in the stem. You may need to speak to the key-cutter and ask him to cut around that hole depending on the design off your original house key. It means that one key won’t open your door, but it’s a little thing, as the other two keys will and there is no reason why you would have this key and not the others.

The Improvements:
There is nothing wrong with this trick, but this wouldn’t be a complete review without mentioning a couple of possible improvements. The first is the hole in the stem. If it was slightly smaller, cutting around it would be easier. Also if the hole was further down the stem (towards the end) you could attach it onto the same key-thob as the other keys and make transportation of the trick easier, keeping all the keys together. Some thobs won’t have a problem with this as it is, and it doesn’t effect the trick, I just mention it for day-to-day portability.

I would prefer a set of keys made in silver, as it is more visible in dark areas and the gold keys are similar in colour to my skin tone, making them slightly harder to see. I also believe the ‘ghost hole’ would work better with silver keys because the brightness around the hole will be better for the camouflage. But it still works with the gold, and I haven’t tried it with silver so maybe there is a practical reason for not using that colour, I don’t know.

You have to get your own key-thob. Nothing too bad here, but he has an excellent one which I have never seen before. Craig forgets to mention where he bought it from, and if he can buy them in bulk for a few pennies each, it would be nice to include them in your next batch (or at least make them available to buy through WMS).

Technical Details:
The DVD starts of with two performances of the two routines Craig performs. This is very nicely shot and the cameraman does a great job. You can hear everything and see everything you need to see. The explanation, while not bad does come under a little scrutiny. I have a background in media, so I can see when a camera’s Iris is overexposed to light and making a persons head ‘shine’, which unfortunately is happening hear. It’s not too bad, but guys come on, sort out your camera skills.
The sound is also low on this production, not as bad as the previous release, mainly because Craig is thankfully loud and so he compensates for the soundman. But again, these are mistakes high-school students don’t even make. I shouldn’t be seeing them in a full production company video.
I also have to mention the background. You have two posters on the back wall which have heavy designs on them. This camouflages Craig’s head even further, and bleeds out the colour with the spotlight you have on them. Get rid of those posters.
On a plus side, there are two cameras used and the close-up camera is excellent. Editing is excellent and you have a perfect viewing angle for all sections of the trick. It makes learning the routine incredibly easy with no need to ever hit the rewind or zoom buttons, because it is all displayed cleanly on the screen for you to see.

I guess you want me to mention the chimp since he has been in all your 2010 DVDs. My advice is too stick the chimp behind the camera because he can probably do a better job. Lol.

Duration:
44 minutes

The Presenter:
Craig is an excellent teacher. He explains everything rather well, and you get the idea that he loves this effect, is proud of it and wants you to love it also. He is clear and easy to hear and shows every move involved in the routine slowly, so that it is easy to follow. He is very good. I probably would have liked him to have a co-presenter or a spectator to talk to, who he could have performed the routine on. Even if that person just came in for the last 10 minutes of the video. Just so we can go through the entire routine again with another person to perform on. Sometimes they can ask questions which the viewers find helpful. But on his own, Craig does an excellent job and even though I’ve only watched it once, feel comfortable enough to go out and start performing the trick now.

The Credits:
I am aware of some controversial regarding the trick. I have watched Pothole, Holy Moly and the other effects in question and none of them are like Keymaster. Keymaster is its own effect and very different to those just mentioned. Yes, this is a moving hole routine, but it goes so much further with new props and routines in mind. I don’t believe anyone should have any problem saying this is Craig’s trick. It may be an improvement of those others, but it is such a big and necessary improvement that he deserves the credit for coming up with it, and the pursuit of putting it together.

Alternatives:
An alternative handling I can see is to use only the solid key with the ghost hole and just perform a one key routine where you remove the hole, and throw it back on in the wrong place. The effect is strong, quick and easy to follow and there is no sleight-of-hand needed, with just the one key in play. If you need something quick and snappy to impress them with, it’s a nice shortened version of the keymaster routine.

Conclusion:
This trick has to be up there as a contender for trick of the year. Its solves the problems with other moving hole tricks, makes it practical and hip to perform. The magic happens in the spectators hands and yet is very visual and easy to follow. You are left clean at the end with everything able to be examined and the DVD instructions have been the easiest to follow for a long time.

This is a great routine and definitely worth buying for those working the real world and want to look cool. I definitely think we will be seeing it on some TV special soon.

Steve
About getting the kays cut: I don't think it is possible to actually have them match your regular keys, since the Keymaster ones already have two grooves in them (mine do, anyway). That is the reason I'm still secretly hoping there's a place where one can get undrilled keys...

I'm surprised you didn't make a comparison between the two routines, Keymaster and Gatekeeper. Like Craig, I also prefer the single key routine. It requires less pocket management, is instantly reset, and has more magical moments than the Keymaster one.

I'm also itching to try the Ghost Hole bit with a certain type of marker...
I suspect the keys could be cut in some way if a person choose to make them cosmetically more realistic looking. I would not count on using them as your house keys as there are many different key shapes and blanks and on the video these appears shorter than typical house key blanks.

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 10:14am
I also want to thank ku7uk3 for what are a group of obviously well thought out apparently unbiased reviews.
Looks like an already marketed effect called Key Deposit, which is owned by Paul Richards of Elmwood Magic. Was this credited on Craig Petty's dvd?

Key Deposit

http://images.dcheetahimages.com/www.elmwoodmagic.com/ama/movies/Key-Deposit-Demo.wmv
Review king. Sanky who created said one phase trick has a mention on there. Its done mate let it go
Review King, I believe Craig spoke to Paul in Blackpool.

Nothing to see here.

Move along there.
Hey Stephen

Thanks for the great review. As I mentioned in the 'Latest and Greatest' Thread the feedback I have received about Keymaster has been amazing. I am glad that it is finding a place in so many performers bag of tricks!

Also I love your idea of using the Ghost Hole principle along with one of the gaffs to put together an ultra quick handling - very creative!

Anyway thanks again and if anyone else has questions about the product just let me know

Craig
[quote]
On 2010-03-03 15:33, Andi Peters wrote:

Nothing to see here.

Move along there.
[/quote]

Andi, you are WRONG! Craig Petty did not speak with Paul Richards at Blackpool. He must have still been too busy. Maybe get your facts straight before posting.
[quote]
On 2010-03-04 10:56, Review King wrote:
[quote]

Nothing to see here.

Move along there.
[/quote]

Andi, you are WRONG! Craig Petty did not speak with Paul Richards at Blackpool. He must have still been too busy. Maybe get your facts straight before posting.
[/quote]
How do you know they didn't speak? Are you a private investigator?
[quote]
On 2010-03-04 13:53, Andi Peters wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-03-04 10:56, Review King wrote:
[quote]

Nothing to see here.

Move along there.
[/quote]

[/quote]
How do you know they didn't speak? Are you a detective Chris?
[/quote]

While 90% of my family is in law enforcement, I didn't have to be a detective. I wrote and asked Paul Richards. Instead of just making it up like you did, I found out the facts.

Andi, your system is interesting: make it up, to cover it up.

:rotf:
Well done on going the extra mile. You won. :)
It's not about me winning. I like Craig Petty's work and would like to get this effect, but not until the issue is cleared up. Craig should write Paul Richards and Jay Sankey as a professional courtesy. Until then, I don't think anyone should support this. Yes, his friends and the people he gave free product to will support him, but the general consumer should stay away.
Ah Chris, hello

Good to see you on another thread about Keymaster.

It wouldn't feel the same here without you.

Craig
Craig,
When will this be available thru US dealers?

This looks like it's a blast to perform!!

rochaz
Hi Rochaz, thank for the feedback - its a fun effect!

The last time I spoke to World Magic Store they were planning on sending a batch to Murphy's at the end of this week. If that's still the case I imagine that US dealers should be getting stock next week sometime.

Thanks for your interest!
Hi Craig

Nice effect, I've just bought it, however I do have one question. Would it be possible to get some keys with no holes at all. E.g not in the stem or top. I have a routine in mind and I really need a key like this. I'm sure that you probably can't cause you have to but in bulk. But I'm a believer in if you don't ask you'll never no. (I'm willing to pay)

Anyway, whatever the case may be, I look forward to your response.

All The Best
Now having watched the whole DVD, I'd like to add my own personal thoughts upon this routine.

It was just as I expected, two full solid routines that are taught in great detail so that even someone with no knowledge of magic could pick it up and with some practice be performing this without years of practice. Obviously it isn't self working and will take practice but both the Gatekeeper and Keymaster routines are packed full of magical moments and have a nice flow to them.

Craig's teaching style is relaxed, clear and concise, leaving nothing to the imagination. This is perfect for beginners and gives the more seasoned performer a few seconds to be practicing the routine sections whilst the sleights are explained. All the footage is shot clearly and is easy to follow, no fancy cuts, edits or moving camera zooming business, it is all about the teaching.

Although there has been some debate about how similar this is to Jay's routines Holy Moly and Key Deposit I honestly believe there is enough of a difference to warrant its release. At the end of the day a moving hole has been a premise that has been explored for years by magicians, I would even imagine there being some moving hole effects in the Tarbell series. The Keymaster routines are multiphase routines rather than just one phase and they both have a nice flow to them as well as being easy to follow for the layperson. The keys could also be used to come up with your own handlings and routines, something that isn't really possible with Holy Moly or Key Deposit. There is definitely more that you can do with the Keymaster set, which I like. Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say that Jay's routines aren't good as anyone with any idea about magic (especially performing magic for laypeople) will know the power of his effects, I just personally prefer Keymaster as it feels more natural or 'organic' for me and allows for a lengthier performance.

The only thing left to talk about I think are the gimmicks you receive. There are 3 manufactured gimmicks that are very well made and will last you a lifetime, unless of course you lose them or leave them in front of a moving steamroller! Of course I am sure you could come up with other a fancy ways to break them (pneumatic drill for instance) but under normal circumstances you will have no problems with these as there is nothing to go wrong with them!

To sum up I am very happy with my purchase and will definitely be using this in my walkaround magic. Two thumbs up!

Ben Williams
I have just had the keys cut, free of charge, at my local cobbler/key cutting shop and what a difference it makes, not only to the overall look but to the handling. It's well worth taking the time out to have done.
I am extremely pleased with the Keymaster props and the routining is very well explained on the DVD by Craig.
This is one I think I will be using for a long time to come.

Paul Mc.
Craig said you can't get keys without a hole in the head and therefore he had to have them specially made.

So either Paul or Craig are telling porkie pies. Come on, own up, who's the porkster?

Posted: Mar 13, 2010 2:17pm
--------------------------------
On second reading don't worry! I see you had the [b]original[/b] set cut, not a new set made up. Apologies for the confusion.

Humbly

And
Hey guys, thanks for all the great responses this last week I am so glad that everyone is enjoying Keymaster, those you you that have it know what a fun effect it is to perform.

I have had a load of people email me asking when it will be available through their local dealer. I believe they are being sent to Murphy's this week so look for it soon.

Thanks again for the reviews guys - keep them coming

Craig

[quote]
On 2010-03-04 22:00, truesoldier wrote:
Hi Craig

Nice effect, I've just bought it, however I do have one question. Would it be possible to get some keys with no holes at all. E.g not in the stem or top. I have a routine in mind and I really need a key like this. I'm sure that you probably can't cause you have to but in bulk. But I'm a believer in if you don't ask you'll never no. (I'm willing to pay)

All The Best
[/quote]
Missed this post sorry about that!

There are plans in place to provide this as you are not the only person to ask (and sooner than you think)

Hope this helps

Craig
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Search.aspx?q=Keymaster
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/
[quote]
On 2010-03-16 13:26, Craig Petty wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-03-04 22:00, truesoldier wrote:
Hi Craig

All The Best
[/quote]

Missed this post sorry about that!

There are plans in place to provide this as you are not the only person to ask (and sooner than you think)

Hope this helps

Craig
[/quote]
Good news. Hope you're going to 'key'p the price of this additional unit low.
Just got my set and I really think what Craig has given us here is a walk around performers dream!

Keymaster hits the mark in so many ways, natural props, easy to carry, no complicated resets, can be an "impromptu", plus very nice routining that uses some great subtleties to shift the moment of magic and deliver (apparently) a variety of startling effects with totally examinable props.

Very nice quality production on the keys and I like the idea of allowing them to be cut individually. I found the teaching segments (as always with Craig) clear and thorough. It was a little low on volume however the content is great and plenty of detail is given. One thing I liked was that Craig has made sure there is built in misdirection for the s******s needed so they are reasonably easy to achieve through his well thought out routine construction. Craig is a really natural magician and teacher and it pays to listen to the details he gives as small points do count. Moving hole effects are just so fascinating to laymen and this one goes several steps beyond the average moving hole. Everything can be examined at the right moments and this really ups the impossibility factor.

I am already enjoying playing around with the spellbound position sequences as I think these provide incredible visuals and are super baffling. These keys are just too cool!

What a great release and quite inexpensive too. Once I have had a couple of months to work this up it will definitely be going into the walk around set. Congratulations Craig, this is going to be popular (but not too popular I hope!).

Cheers,
Al
Craig demonstrated this at the Blackpool convention and straight away explained all the moves and gimmicks. I really liked this open approach - no disappointments after opening the box!

After playing around with this for the last couple of weeks I start to feel comfortable with the routines and they are going to be tested in real performances very soon.
Both the Keymaster and the Gatekeeper routines are quite easy. If you have a little coin magic experience I would say very easy, but this is not necessary.
The teaching on the DVD is excellent and carefully explains the (few) moves involved.

Being a new kind of prop, the set of keys are very inspiring and I have made up some new moves and my own Gatekeeper-like routine as well. It would be great if Craig set up a closed forum for discussions on this.

And I would love to be able to buy some more keys - a bent, twisted or smaller key would be obvious to add to the set. Or .... as I said, very inspiring!
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would say thanks for the continued support and all the reviews that are being uploaded. I was at a lecture the other night and a performer came up to me and said that Keymaster was the best trick he had ever brought. It really means a lot when I here stuff like that.

Also thanks for the review Al, I am glad you are enjoying the set and please come back when you have performed with it and tell me how you got on.

Finally thanks Moechsle for your comments. I have never hidden what the set it or what it does. I believe Keymaster stands up on its own two feet and doesn't need me to say anything else other than "this is what it does". There will be more keys coming by the way - watch this space!

Thanks again everyone - please keep the reviews coming

Craig
KEYMASTER.CRAIG PETTY.

Hi guy's,

been playing around and performing this gr8 effect from craig and it never fails to get those reactions you always want!!..

Its great to just have with you all the time..easy and direct to perform ..pretty much 20sec re-set!!..

another killer effect from craig..watch out for KEYMASTER2.0 ...craig informs me will be realsing soon!..

best marc webley
I was going to pick this up. When is KEYMASTER 2.0 coming out?
Craig has nt said wen keymaster 2.0 will be available...look out on worldmagicstore.com... or give craig a PM..keymaster is a great routine and definatly worth getting..!!!
Just a thought before hype (version 2.0) sets in...
If Keymaster 2.0 is released so soon after the launch of Keymaster (e.g. under 6 months), and has significant new gimmicks / routines etc, I would hope WMS offer a decent upgrade offer to existing customers. If not, I might be put off future purchases. Obviously if 'add ons' to the original product are sold, that would be different.
Having said that, having briefly met Craig & the WMS gang, plus owning several Craig Petty / WMS products, I will maintain faith until proved otherwise!
Charlie
After speaking to Craig he did say that KEYMASTER2.0 will be an "up grade" pack to the original keymaster..

I have 100% faith in craig and WMS...

I will def be getting KEYMASTER2.0 ....
Any more than £9.99 for the upgrade and I'll give it a miss.
[quote]
On 2010-03-13 14:11, caigy wrote:
Andi,

I have had the keys which came with 'Keymaster' cut...Not had replica's made!!
i.e. my Keymaster keys now have teeth cut into them, so look like everyday keys.
No porkies anywhere.

Paul Mc.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2010-03-13 14:13, Andi Peters wrote:
Ah, I see.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you meant you'd had your own set made up.

That will teach me to look before I leap.

I think I'll get my set cut too.

Does it not cut into the hole which is on the shaft?

Andi
[/quote]
Guys Please don't get your keys cut or you will spoil a whole load of effects with the Keymaster 2 addon kit which consists of another 4 keys that compliment the existing set and also provide stand alone effects.
I obviously can't give much away as we are in the production stage.
Keys have been made but DVD is yet to be filmed.

If you alter your existing set you will not be able to do many of the transitions in Keymaster 2.

Best regards
Jim
Oh dear !! I have heard in the pipe line that the original "Keymaster" key set should not of been "cut into," as they will not work in conjunction with Keymaster2.0!!!

I can see this causing a few problems!! Luckily my set are still in original form, but for the people that have had them cut, they are going to be very disappointed. Craig should definitely mentioned not to cut into the keys on the DVD!!!

I am sure that this is going to be a topic of conversation over the next couple of months....

Until then ...
Who carries around UN-cut keys????

These should have been cut and then sold in that format in the 1st place.

This way all the keys (both in KEYMASTER 1.0 AND 2.0) would all look the same and it would look more casual.

Just something to think about in the future.
I totally agree with you. ..very good point...!!!

I would be very disappointed if this was a poor marketing way to get people to purchase Keymaster 1.0 again!!

I'm sure that this is not the case as Craig and WMS are usually very good to deal with.

Let's wait for a reply from Craig to see if he can lighten things up on this subject.
Uncut keys? No thank you!
I have no regrets in having my keys cut, it looks so much more natural IMHO; or at least I prefer them that way.
Perhaps all the new keys & (audience tested?) routines may make me regret my actions, but time will tell. Perhaps if I did pick up version 2.0, I could have them cut to match..
The early news of release 2.0 without actual details is not a great idea (again, imho) coming so close to the release of version 1.

Ramble over
Respectfully,

Charlie
Without actually having the trick, and even if those perfoming it have never had a spectator question it, I agree with some of the above posts that uncut keys look like props, there is no reason someone would carry around uncut keys. (long sentence)
[quote]
On 2010-03-25 19:38, Xcath1 wrote:
there is no reason someone would carry around uncut keys. (long sentence)
[/quote]

Not true. Magicians using obvious magic store props would.

[quote]
On 2010-03-25 22:55, Review King wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-03-25 19:38, Xcath1 wrote:
there is no reason someone would carry around uncut keys. (long sentence)
[/quote]

Not true. Magicians using obvious magic store props would.

[/quote]

LOL!
'To cut or not to cut' is the question. Thankfully, I read this thread before running over to the hardware store to get my keys cut.

I hope that Craig jumps in and offers some direction. For myself, I would prefer that keys were cut because they'd seem more natural. However, I also thought about buying a duplicate Keymaster set so that I could also make the keys 'cut' inside the spectators own hands...could be pretty cool.

I love both of Craig's routines and the the props are certainly well made. My only minor quibble is that I would prefer that the keys were slighly shorter to match the most common keys found in the USA. The other obvious benefit would be that they'd be easier to palm without flashing.

-Jared

FYI- the key fob that Craig uses during his performance appears to be the same supplied as Gregory Wilson's 'Freakey'. This fob is outstanding compared to anything that I've been able to source in retail stores. If someone could please share any information about where to find them then please forward me a link. I'd like to buy at least a dozen as spares. Mine broke once but repairing it was easy as long as you don't lose the spring or threaded screw.

-Jared
I've had this for a few weeks, and while I haven't performed it for an audience yet, I tried it for a few guys at the local magic club. It was a [b]big hit![/b]

I've routined in such a way that will allow for an instant reset, which is crucial for me if I'm going to work it into my repertoire.

In regards to the fob, I have the fob from Freakey but won't be using it for this effect. I agree with Jared that the spring and screw can pop out from the Freakey fob and are easy to lose. Instead, I picked up a pack of 1/2" binder rings at an office supply store (as mentioned in the Latest and Greatest thread for this trick). Easy to open, no springs to lose.

I'll offer an actual review once I've had a chance to perform it for a real audience, but I really like the potential of this one!

-AH
[quote]
On 2010-03-25 08:35, Joe Mauro wrote:
[/quote]
Can't see the problem in that. You can just point out that the most unusual thing about this key is [b]not[/b] that it's so old it lost its teeth - no, the most unusual thing is this hole - watch the hole .... did you feel the hole go through your hand?

Or explain that this magic key fits [b]any[/b] lock...
[quote]
On 2010-03-25 07:36, 2010multimagic wrote:
Oh dear !! I have heard in the pipe line that the original "Keymaster" key set should not of been "cut into," as they will not work in conjunction with Keymaster2.0!!!

I can see this causing a few problems!! Luckily my set are still in original form, but for the people that have had them cut, they are going to be very disappointed. Craig should definitely mentioned not to cut into the keys on the DVD!!!

I am sure that this is going to be a topic of conversation over the next couple of months....

Until then ...
[/quote]
Maybe Craig did not know he was going to release Keymaster 2.0 at the time. Craig has been around a while in the magic community and most everything he puts out is top notch. I have this and people most of the time (actually almost all the time) don't even notice the keys being uncut or if they do it is trumped by the magical moments during the routine. The keys are [b]solid[/b] and are [b]handled[/b] by the spectator so if they are cut or uncut it doesn't matter- there is [b]nothing[/b] hidden from them!

RNK
[quote]
On 2010-03-03 11:12, Review King wrote:
Looks like an already marketed effect called Key Deposit, which is owned by Paul Richards of Elmwood Magic. Was this credited on Craig Petty's DVD?

Key Deposit

http://images.dcheetahimages.com/www.elmwoodmagic.com/ama/movies/Key-Deposit-Demo.wmv
[/quote]
I looked at the link here and Keymaster doesn't look like Key Deposit. There's no tag in Keymaster and in this trick the whole is moving back and forth between two keys. Moving hole effects have been around quite some time so I don't see how you could say "This looks like an already marketed effect." By that reasoning you might as well say this was designed by Mike Weber. Sankey has Holey Moley but there were moving holes before that. There was one in Kaufman's Coinmagic using a small cutout of electrical tape and I had an improvement on that in Magic in the early 90s. It's good that people constantly try to think up different ways to dress up old plots. Plus, you didn't even KNOW if there was crediting. Yet you're coming here saying "Looks like a marketed effect..."

Now if this effect was a hole moving from a tag to a key...then yeah. Make that statement.

[quote]
On 2010-04-05 14:21, moechsle wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-03-25 08:35, Joe Mauro wrote:
[/quote]
Can't see the problem in that. You can just point out that the most unusual thing about this key is [b]not[/b] that it's so old it lost its teeth - no, the most unusual thing is this hole - watch the hole ... did you feel the hole go through your hand?

Or explain that this magic key fits [b]any[/b] lock...
[/quote]
Both good examples of thinking outside the box. Besides, as another poster mentioned previously, you can still have these cut if you really want to.
Wouldn't using an uncut key and saying "this magic key fits ANY lock" imply that the key is doing the magic/or it's a trick key?

I don't have it and am still open to getting it, I just don't like the use of uncut keys ( I thought it was suggest not to cut the keys ).
I purchased this effect. Except for one move which caught me off gaurd (which is well explained as is everything on the DVD) I thought the method quite obvious. I perform for layman so will give it a try and report back. 2 comments; I call them "virgin keys"
What you get is exactly what you see in the demo clips, they do not appear edited. If you like those clips you will like the product. If you do not, there is nothing else to see
Thanks everyone for your comments about keymaster. As I mentioned on the 'Pool Ball Miracles' thread I have been on holiday in San Francisco for the last two weeks and it was my birthday yesterday so I have had very little time to come on the Café.

With that being said let me address some of the questions that have arisen while I have been away. Firstly, Keymaster 2.0 will eventually come out but not for a long while. Keymaster 2.0 was always planned right from the very beginning (to the point that we actually have most of the gimmicks already made) but we decided to hold off on bringing this out in order to make the original effect as cost effective and accessible as possible. Keymaster 2.0 will give you more routines and options with the original Keymaster but it is not intended to replace the original in any way shape or form.

I have been performing Keymaster for a long time and there are other routines and ideas you can perform with the set. It has been great to hear from people that have brought Keymaster that have been sharing with me their ideas with the set. You guys are coming up with some great moves and concepts. Keymaster 2.0 would simply give you more tools and ideas in order to perform more routines. Obviously you can just buy the original Keymaster and leave it there but for those of you who like Keymaster the follow up will make you like it even more.

Having said all that I would prefer to focus on the original Keymaster as that is what is available right now even I have no idea when Keymaster 2.0 will be out.

The one thing I have noticed from the emails that I have received is that Keymaster is something that people are actually using in the real world and this was my intention when I released the DVD. This is a solid commercial routine that you will use. I personally perform the Gate Keeper routine more that I do the Keymaster routine but that is just personal preference. I love the phase in Gate Keeper where the hole is slid down the length of the stem and then fuses back onto the key seemingly in mid air. A lot of people have mentioned to me that their favourite part of the effect is that they can hang their gimmicks on a bunch of keys and be good to go any time and any place. I have been experimenting recently with combining Keymaster with Pro Flight by Nicholas Einhorn. For those of you that have pro flight PM me and I will go through what I am doing to routine the two effects together - the two routines performed as a set work brilliantly together. I know that Nicholas Einhorn is working with Keymaster as well which is a great.

Finally I do not have my keys cut and I never have. I have only once had a spectator point out that the keys are uncut in over two years and I simply said that these are what keys look like before they are cut. As the keys are examinable at the beginning and the end of the routine it is a non issue. If you want to get your keys cut then go right ahead - I cannot stop you. Doing this will mean some of the things we are planning with Keymaster 2.0 would be harder to pull off (but not impossible). Of course cutting or not cutting the keys will not affect the original Keymaster in any way.

I hope all this helps, as normal if I can be of further help just let me know and I will try to respond as quickly as possible.

Craig
I agree with Craig. Since the keys are examinable, it doesn't matter if they are cut or not. If the spectator suspects they are "trick keys", let them look at them. They will have nowhere to go in terms of explanation.

I also think that some of the moves may be obvious to a magician but I don't think a lay person will have a clue as you are so far ahead with this routine.

Really like this a lot. Haven't performed it yet for real people but I will very soon!
Hey Cameron.

Thanks for the comments. Means a lot coming from officially the most creative magician on the planet!!

Let me know how it goes when you get out there and start performing with it.

Catch you soon

Craig
Just got Keymaster in,
as with all the other Craig Petty items I have purchased, I love it.
Hey Professor

Thanks for your feedback, glad you are enjoying Keymaster. I would love to hear how it goes for you in the 'real world'!!!.

As a matter of interest which routine do you prefer 'Keymaster' or 'Gatekeeper'?

Catch you soon

Craig
I leaning more towards Keymaster.
Also Craig, not to change the subject, but.. Pool Ball Miracles rocks.
Both your new offerings are a refreshing break from card magic. I am looking forward to adding these to my close up set which contains lots of card stuff already.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that Key fobs can be found here in the states at the Dollar Store, in case anyone is looking.

Thanks Craig.
Glad you like Pool Ball Miracles - I am really proud of that DVD set.

Anyway you lean towards Keymaster - interesting. From what I have heard in terms of feedback there is a 50/50 split some people prefer Keymaster whilst some people prefer Gatekeeper.

In terms of keyfobs, I am in the States at the moment and I saw some of these keyfobs the other day - I think they are quite easy to get hold of.

By the way, have you or do you plan on using the ghost hole principle?

Craig
[quote]
On 2010-03-03 11:12, Review King wrote:
Looks like an already marketed effect called Key Deposit, which is owned by Paul Richards of Elmwood Magic. Was this credited on Craig Petty's dvd?

Key Deposit

[/quote]
I purchased Sankey's key Deposit some time back. Great trick! Now I have purchased Keymaster from a friend here on the Café, so I hope to have the best of both worlds!
I hope you enjoy Keymaster Doug. I think you'll find the addition of the hole jumping back onto the initial key quite a powerful moment especially when it is discovered that the hole is on the stem of the key.

When you have played around with it let me know how it goes for you.

Craig
I appreciate it. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. But I thought the hole in the stem was just offbeat enough to come across as a downright miracle! (To the specs)

And that first part where the hole is visibly pulled off the head? The stuff of legends, my man!
Thanks again for the comments Doug. Can't to hear what you think of it when it arrives.

By the way I have noticed that Sleight Geek have filmed their own trailer to Keymaster and posted it on You Tube. I thought I would post the link so that you guys can see someone other than me performing the effect. I thought they did a good job

Craig

Link to Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7Xh557GKc
Thanks for the link! I'm still looking forward to it's arrival. The only thing in my mailbox today was Gregory Wilson's "Pipstreak."

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 11:00am
---------------------------------
It arrived and it's beautiful! Should be a worker for me. I can't believe I was fooled by the G***t h**e principal! D'oh!

But in this context, it was just different enough to slip by me.

All in all a great routine with bare minimal sleights. I like it!
Hey Doug, thanks for your feedback

Don't feel bad I have lost count of the amount of people that the Ghost Hole Principle has fooled. It is such a simple addition to the routine that really adds to the overall effect.

Let me know how things go once you have performed it a couple of times. If there is anything else I can do just let me know

Craig
I have been showing mostly Keymaster until now, but today I used both the Keymaster and the Gatekeeper routines at the same gig. Great, great reactions from children, adults and old people! Everybody can relate to the moving and disappearing holes. At one gig a girl saw the Keymaster effect and later asked me to perform it again for her mother. Then I did (a slightly modified version of) Gatekeeper. So good to have two different routines with the same props!

A friend of mine has come up with a way of resetting Keymaster. This is very important for me when I'm doing walkaround.

The Keymaster key set has now earned a permanent place in my right front pocket, sadly replacing Third Degree Burn, which I trained and trained but never used.

Interesting, Craig, that you have tried Pro Flite together with Keymaster. I was thinking of that too, but haven't invested in it yet. Originally had Ghost tag in the key set as well, but had to drop that. Pro Flite definitely seems like it would fit very well there. If anyone has other ideas for tricks or gimmicks you could add to the key set, I would like to hear them.
[quote]
On 2010-04-30 14:33, Craig Petty wrote:
Hey Doug, thanks for your feedback

Don't feel bad I have lost count of the amount of people that the Ghost Hole Principle has fooled. It is such a simple addition to the routine that really adds to the overall effect.

Let me know how things go once you have performed it a couple of times. If there is anything else I can do just let me know

Craig
[/quote]

Craig, the only thing I would add is that the method you gave of keeping the Ghost Hole in place really doesn't hold all that well if you are walking around with key master in your pocket for a while. It loosens up too easily. I pull the key out and the hole is not there. (The key magically healed itself in my pocket!) What I am doing instead is using a minuscule bit of Scotch brand reusable glue stick. Just a tiny touch to the hole and it holds much, much better.

Another suggestion: Instead of taking the time and effort to color those holes with a Sharpie marker, one can purchase origami paper that is colored black on both sides. You could get hundreds, maybe thousands of holes out of a sheet. And the thickness of the paper is perfect.

The trade off is that you spend more money, but you save time. All depends on where your priorities and budget are.
Re-stickable glue stick is what I use to keep the ghost hole in place.

I have been performing a shortened version of the Gatekeeper routine that has gone over well. I slide the ghost hole off the key, have them cup their hands, and then throw the hole back onto the key but it ends up on the stem. Also before I slide the hole off the key I put my key fob back into my pocket which allows me to end completely clean at the end.

Matt
Hey Guys.

Once again thanks for the continued feedback. I have been given alternative handlings and ideas via pm and email, its been great. So many people have said the same as Moechsle that the set has found a permanent place in their act. Its great to hear that people are using Keymaster.

As for the Ghost Hole, I have never had a problem Doug but both yours and Sabitu's solutions seems great. I also like your handling of Gatekeeper Sabitu - Simple and Quick sounds killer, I would love to see you perform it sometime if ever we are at the same convention!

Once again any other comments of questions please keep them coming

Craig
[quote]
On 2010-04-24 12:53, Craig Petty wrote:
Thanks again for the comments Doug. Can't to hear what you think of it when it arrives.

By the way I have noticed that Sleight Geek have filmed their own trailer to Keymaster and posted it on You Tube. I thought I would post the link so that you guys can see someone other than me performing the effect. I thought they did a good job

Craig

Link to Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7Xh557GKc
[/quote]
Just a quick observation from a spectator's point of view (I do not own the trick, yet). It seems in the clip that the finish is somewhat unsatisfying--the girl seemed to expect the hole to finally wind up in the right place--perhaps this possibility is addressed in the 2.0 package?

Julie
Still using this! Found a permanent place in my set. Good stuff, man!
Thanks Doug, I'm glad you are enjoying the DVD. I love getting feedback from people that are actually using my material!

Julie - I have never had a problem with the spectator expecting the hole to appear on the stem and neither has any performer I have spoken to. I am not not sure but I have a feeling the girl in that video clip was 'in on' the trick from the beginning.

Craig
Hi Craig.... I spoke to WMS couple days ago and asked if they would give you an email I sent then regarding your keymaster?...have you recived it yet?..

please email me marcweb1982@live.co.uk

many thanks

Marc Webley
Hey Marc. Jim forwarded me the email over the weekend. I am currently writing everything up for you (I have been so busy recently). I will have it sorted by Friday at the latest and will send it to your email address. Is that ok?

Craig

By the way,

anyone who has yet to pick up Keymaster yet - we are giving away a free copy on this weeks Wizard Product Review Show. Episode 4 goes live 12pm on Wednesday so check out the show and you could be sent a Keymaster free of charge!

Craig
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 06:55, Craig Petty wrote:
Hey Marc. Jim forwarded me the email over the weekend. I am currently writing everything up for you (I have been so busy recently). I will have it sorted by Friday at the latest and will send it to your email address. Is that ok?

Craig
[/quote]
Hi Craig.. that's great!!! Thanks ever so much for doing that for me!!! :D :D :D

I understand you're busy ...no rush!! I look forward to getting email from you!

Again many thanks...

Marc.
Thanks for your understanding Marc.

Craig
Hey guys,

The new Wizard Product Review is now up and if you watch it you can win a Keymaster free!!!!!

Check it out here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwmHwvHKZk4

Thanks guys

Craig
Craig are you going to let us know what you are doing with routining keymaster and Pro Flight for us who have both
Hey mate.

I am currently typing up a few ideas into a PDF which I will be sending to anyone who has brought keymaster. It is taking longer than I thought as I have had a lot of gigs this week (I took on a contract to do a series of school shows so I have been very busy during the day). The PDF should be done soon and anyone who would like a copy just pop your email address on this thread and I will send it as soon as its done.

Hope that's ok

Craig
Thanks mate
Would like a copy of your PDF, when finished, also Craig. Good luck with your school shows.

Have fun,
John
I am the one that won the Keymaster DVD! Thanks Craig! I heard my username and like I said in an earlier post I thought I won the Lottery. (I basically did!) It just stinks now that we have to wait another week for the next Review!
Congratulations Lou! Enjoy!!!

Have fun,

John
Much obliged sir!! I most definitely will!!
Just got my Keymaster today!!!..ordered it from Penguin and got a free VHS Paperclipped with it!
I started doing this and I must say, I love it! I do the Keymaster routine pretty much as it is on the dvd. Couldn't really think of any way to improve it. :)

Very nice work, Craig. I'll be doing this one for a while!
I agree that Keymaster is a great package - thanks Craig! :)

After actually using this for a couple weeks I've posted my [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=386693&forum=68&0]official review[/url] for those who are still on the fence about purchasing this DVD. Enjoy. :)
I've been using this every chance I get. Will use this for the rest of my life. Priceless.
If you do a google search on "detachable key fobs" and then use the Amazon link, it will take you to a good key fob for the trick plus links to other possible choices.
[quote]
On 2010-05-02 13:43, sabitu wrote:
Re-stickable glue stick is what I use to keep the ghost hole in place.

I have been performing a shortened version of the Gatekeeper routine that has gone over well. I slide the ghost hole off the key, have them cup their hands, and then throw the hole back onto the key but it ends up on the stem. Also before I slide the hole off the key I put my key fob back into my pocket which allows me to end completely clean at the end.

Matt
[/quote]

A modification to this would be to put the ghost hole on just one side of the key. Then have it vanish and reappear with a paddle move. Now finish up as stated above.