(Close Window)
Topic: Miracle Rope
Anybody have this or seen it? This is the description from Abbott's Catalog

Miracle Rope

This is the original! A length of unprepared rope is shown and cut into two pieces by a spectator. The magician holds one piece in each hand - hands may be widely separated. He waves the ends of the rope together and, in a flash, the pieces seem to visibly melt together into one piece. This rope is the same length as first shown and may immediately be given out for examination.

Magicians have marveled at this rope trick and many have tried to duplicate it without success - and now it can be yours. No snap or screw gimmicks - no magnets - no wires and no threads. The rope can be marked for future identification. It can be immediately thrown out for examination - there is no exchange or fussing. This effect was part of a professionalís act for many years before it was released to the magical fraternity - all the performing and presentation details are included. No special rope required. Absolutely clean - the method is undetectable. This one astounds magicians!

Created by Bill Neff.

Any reviews?

Metatron
The only things I can think of, is a Gravity H**d**t, Invisible Hand or a P*ll. But wouldn't that be considered swap or exchange?

Any thoughts?

Metatron
This is Bill Neff's rope restoration, originated in the 50's and although there is a knack to it, it is a wonderful effect.
Comes with a secret gimmick or manuscript to make it.
Abbott's is probably the only dealer with the rights to it.
----------------
It is not a gravity H**d**t, but is along those lines.
There is no swap though.
Just a bold move and a simple gimmick.
You'll find it (Neff's Miracle Rope) included in Stewart James' "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks." Why buy one rope effect when you can buy hundreds for the same price?
I have seen old reel type movie clips of Neff performing this. visually, it is as if youve just seen a real miracle. Avery impressive and memorable rope effect in his hands, but it does indeed take a knack to do it well. Just as ian says.

Kotah
Love this cut and restored rope effect, it is a real miracle. Personally, I never had a problem with it. I must have been blessed with the knack. Purchased it 40 or 50 years ago.

It is not done much because it does take preparation. It also requires a piece of new rope for each performance. Thus it is best to by the rope by the spool.

You are left with a piece of rope the same size you started with, so you can continue with your favorite rope routine with an ordinary piece of rope.

This is the closest thing to real magic there is in rope magic.
Thanks Ian, I think I get it now. If I am right, The restoration would look great, but the handling of the 'cutting' part would be rather difficult to do smoothly. Was this used as an Opener by Mr. Neff?

Spellbinder, I can't find it in "The Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" 1974 Dover Edition. It's not listed in the Index under Neff's Miracle Rope or Miracle Rope.

Got a page number?

Do you think they removed it.

Strange.

Metatron
Wmhegbli,

Thanks for the review. I think I will get it based on your review. If it is in The Encyclopedia and I just missed it, I would feel bad now. I better read that book cover to cover first. I get side tracked every time I try! :)

Sure sounds like a great trick in the description, but I've fell for that a million times ... descriptions that just don't match the reality of the effect, if you know what I mean.

Anyone else do this? Any video out there?

Thanks Everybody,

Metatron
Metatron
When Mr. Neff did this trick it was his first trick.

You are looking in the wrong encyclopedia. This trick is in the Stewart James rope magic encyclopedia.
Thanks Al Angello,

Got it pegged now, at least the method. Just have to work out the handling now.

Yep, wrong encyclopedia. I have Abbott's "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" which was compiled by Stewart James, but I see they now have one called Stewart James' "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" expanded and revised edition.

Thanks again,

Metatron
I have done this forever... I do a "broken and restore" just tearing the rope in two (rubber cement) and SHOT AND RESTORED WITH SPECTATOR shooting a gun at the rope. You can revise the handling so you can cut the rope, but is easier if you have an assistant do it.
Metatron, No you do not have to use this effect as a opener. The instructions describes a very good gag to make it possible to do the effect anytime you wish.

Bill Neff was before my time by a few years. It is my understanding that he performed a full evening Illusion show. So how he used this effect in his show, I do not know. It very well may have been an 'in between' smaller effect with audience participation.

One last thing, you have to wear a men's jacket.
Thanks everybody,

Looks like a winner. I'll definitely purchase this one. It looks like a great trick with only a few great magicians doing it!

Pete Biro, thanks for the tip on the rubber cement.

Wmhegbli, I figured the coat was necessary, but didn't want to use it as an opener. Glad to know there is a work around to fit it in elsewhere.

Kotah, is that old movie clip on-line anywhere?

Thanks to all who responded here: magicIANs, Spellbinder, KOTAH, wmhegbli, Al Angello, Pete Biro.

You've made me a believer in the Magic Cafť. What a great resource this is. Wish I would have had this 40 years ago! This new crop of magicians don't realize how great they have it.

Thank You Steve Brooks - Your THE MAN :)
Old movie clip, I saw it on a television show many years ago. I do not know if Neff clips exist somewhere on the inter net or not. I believe, because of the set-up, it is basically anopener, but I could be mistaken.

Kotah
P132 of the new Ency of Rope Tricks describes Neff's Miracle Rope. As mentioned, I don't it is in the Dover reprint .

While looking this up, I read of Burling Hull's Miracle Rope: a single piece of rope is thrown into the audience, it is cut and tied together by a spectator who then tosses it back to the performer. With bare hands, the magi restores the rope to 1 piece by causing the knot to visibly dissolve.

Now doesn't that sound interesting?
[quote]
On 2010-03-20 18:28, John Long wrote:
P132 of the new Ency of Rope Tricks describes Neff's Miracle Rope. As mentioned, I don't it is in the Dover reprint .

While looking this up, I read of Burling Hull's Miracle Rope: a single piece of rope is thrown into the audience, it is cut and tied together by a spectator who then tosses it back to the performer. With bare hands, the magi restores the rope to 1 piece by causing the knot to visibly dissolve.

Now doesn't that sound interesting?
[/quote]

Burling Hull's is not Bill Neff's or visa versa, they are not the same person. In the Neff version, the ropes are not tied. The spectator is brought on stage, the magician holds the rope and the spectator cuts the rope somewhere in the middle. The ends are swung towards each other and the rope is restored into one piece. The spectator can have the rope, or you could continue with any trick using an ordinary length of rope.
Thanks for the tip John I'll have to look that one up. I already studied the Neff trick.
[quote]
On 2010-03-05 14:28, Metatron wrote:
Anybody have this or seen it? This is the description from Abbott's Catalog

Miracle Rope

This is the original! A length of unprepared rope is shown and cut into two pieces by a spectator. The magician holds one piece in each hand - hands may be widely separated. He waves the ends of the rope together and, in a flash, the pieces seem to visibly melt together into one piece. This rope is the same length as first shown and may immediately be given out for examination.

Magicians have marveled at this rope trick and many have tried to duplicate it without success - and now it can be yours. No snap or screw gimmicks - no magnets - no wires and no threads. The rope can be marked for future identification. It can be immediately thrown out for examination - there is no exchange or fussing. This effect was part of a professionalís act for many years before it was released to the magical fraternity - all the performing and presentation details are included. No special rope required. Absolutely clean - the method is undetectable. This one astounds magicians!

Created by Bill Neff.

Any reviews?

Metatron
[/quote]

Sounds hauntingly similar to one that Doug Henning performed on his Bruce Jenner special. And that used a p**l.

Bu the visual on it was great. In Doug's hands, it did indeed look like a miracle.
No Doug Henning used a totally different method, it did not use a pull, it used reels used by his assistants. (Sorry, cannot remember the magician to give credit properly, was it Paul Curry.) Then while touring he used the Jim Steinmeyer version.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same special. The one that I am referring about, I have on VHS vid tape. I watched it in SLOW MOTION, (and freeze frame), and I clearly saw the ropes shoot up his sl***es, possibly a h***d**t. Why would this take off stage assistants to accomplish?
Right two different effects. Hegbli is thinking of the sliding knot of Paul Curry, which Doug needed two assistants to hold the rope.
Oh. I see. Thanks for the clarification. I remember watching that particular special, too. The effect wowed me at the time! Anyway, the one that I'm citing was with Bruce Jenner and Cherish Alexander. Doug did a routine where he showed several versions of the c&r rope, including Houdini, Chung Ling Soo (sp??) and finally himself.

I think the broadcast date on that was 2-14-82, but my memory may be off on that part. It also had Billy Crystal, Anne Jillian, and Orson Wells,...

Anyway, I simply couldn't resist that slow down and stop feature of my VCR. :)
I remember Bill Cosby performing it on Doug Hennings [url=http://www.doughenning.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Show1-028.jpg]special[/url] long ago...
Thanks Joseph
What a shame it's a still.
I've reviewed the description of this effect in Stewart James's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks (as edited by Gabe Fajuri; Squash Publishing Edition.)

And I was sufficiently impressed by this discussion to order what is available from Abbott's. Haven't received anything yet.

I'm wondering how experienced workers here think that the Neff effect compares with "Jack Miller's Sensational Rope Cut," as described in Ed Mishell's booklet on Hold-Out Miracles (Tannen, 1976).

Thanks.

Woland
I'll check on that Neff effect and see what the hold up is.
Thanks, magicgettogether, I don't think there was any hold-up, and I was not complaining about delivery time, I was just stating that I thought enough of the effect to order what is available, but that I couldn't comment on it because I hadn't yet seen it. I have now received the effect, with the original instructions and 2 ropes, along with the gimmick. And you get a free gift too.

Although the Stewart encyclopedia reproduces the instructions almost entirely, I think that the photographs in the original are helpful, as is handling the materials.

I am going to practice this effect, and then I will discuss it in relation to the Jack Miller version of the C&R rope. But I will probably take that over to "Secret Sessions."

Woland
Which is where this should be- good idea!
For a little bit of Bill Neff history and for Bill Neff afficiandos, Here's a link to Greg Bordner, President of Abbott's reminiscing about the illusions his dad, Recil, made for Bill neff, and also some information about "Pleasant Nightmares" a book about Bill Neff and his magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8SKG3XeNM
[quote]
On 2010-09-21 07:08, Woland wrote:
...I'm wondering how experienced workers here think that the Neff effect compares with "Jack Miller's Sensational Rope Cut," as described in Ed Mishell's booklet on Hold-Out Miracles (Tannen, 1976).
[/quote]

I first did the Jack Miller version in 1977. It's the one I've done since. It has no "moves", is instant, and, if you use the Hold-Out correctly, indetectible. You DO have to wear a jacket, and that's why I didn't do it much when I was in Florida.

Really, that's the whole reason I constructed the Hold-Out in the first place. I believe the Neff effect needs quite a bit of practice, and the "knack", if you know what I mean. I was ready to go with the Jack Miller version, almost as soon as I completed constructing the Hold-Out.

You need to follow the Ed Mishell book instructions to build the Hold-Out to fit you. That's the only drawback.

Doug
Doug,

I've only just received the materials on the Bill Neff effect, so I have not learned how to do it practically, nor practiced it. I am going to start a thread in Secret Sessions when I do. At this point, I think it has at least the same "drawback" you decribe for the Jack Miller effect.

I agree that the Jack Miller effect is instant and astonishing.

Woland
Woland
I'm also going to do some reading up on this trick, and I look forward to reading your ideas obout it in the secret sessions. A demo video would be asking too much, but I do look forward to reading your thoughts on this trick.
Al,

I'd be delighted to make a demo video, if I can figure out how to do it, and post it, without making it available to the general public. I don't think you will find my performances very enlightening, but I am sure that I would find your critique very educational and inspiring.

Woland
Woland
I'm so glad you brought that up, I am going to post some personal material up on my web site soon, because I want to be selective who I share it with. Plus much of my web site serves as my resume where my best stuff should be displayed.
[quote]
On 2010-09-24 12:47, Woland wrote:
Al,

I'd be delighted to make a demo video, if I can figure out how to do it, and post it, without making it available to the general public.

Woland
[/quote]
Youtube has a great feature. I just posted a clip about silk in balloon, and you can do two things. One, make it private and only specific e-mail accounts can view it. Or, the other option is not to make it searchable or indexed.
It doesn't show up in random searches or along side of comparable clips. The only people who view it are those who receive the link.
Al-

Thanks for a great tip!

Jim
In my humble opinion, the Robert Harbin cut and restored rope is superior to the Bill Neff version because it is simpler and can be performed in the hands of spectators who hold the ends of the rope. I described my own version of the Harbin C&R in a certain Journal that I'm not supposed to mention, and it can be seen on Vimeo being performed by my North Carolina Wiz Kids who are all wearing short sleeve shirts: https://vimeo.com/145756046 There's no need to pass the rope for examination when it is in the hands of the spectators all along.
[quote]On Mar 23, 2010, joseph wrote:
I remember Bill Cosby performing it on Doug Hennings [url=http://www.doughenning.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Show1-028.jpg]special[/url] long ago... [/quote]

I just dropped in here, looking for something else.

Sorry Joseph! Bill Cosby was on Doug's FIRST SPECIAL in '75. They (Bill & Doug did Gen Grant's "Perfect" C&R rope. Grant first published it in 1938) I think that Joe Karson "RE-invented it, ten years later, as I have an instruction sheet on it, dated 1948. Joe called it the "50 50 Rope Trick.

In both cases. the hand drawn mimeographed sheets are almost identical. It involved two equal lengths of rope, and a bit of "manipulation".
P.S. I also have the original mimeographed instruction sheet from Gen. Grant (it has 1938 printed on it).

BTW, it's a very practical method. There is NOTHING to set up, and, as I mentioned, in my book, many magicians, who hadn't "done their homework" were fooled by it! Gen. Grant was a VERY CLEVER magician!!!