(Close Window)
Topic: Day light savings time
Set your clocks AHEAD Sunday morning at 2:00 am.
Darn it, I've been saving daylight for at least 60 years now ... when do I get some of it back?
It won't feel like were saving daylight when we try to get up at 6am...
You'll like it better Monday at rush hour.
I hate this time change. I never will like it. The one in the fall is a very welcome change. Day light savings time needs to be done away with. It's been proven time and time again it's not longer needed. 50 years ago it was worth it to be on day light savings time. Now even the farmers will tell you it's time has passed.
Here in Saskatchewan, Canada we don't ever change our time forward and back. We just have to worry about changing the batteries. :)
Can anyone give a valid reason for "Day Light Saving Time to give it justification?
DST is BS.
It's just another example of how governments are trying to control our lives!

If you want to get up a bit earlier? Well, do it. Likewise, businesses and schools could agree to start earlier in the summer.

It would be a hell of a lot easier to coordinate than train schedules. Did you know that trains in German literally just stop where they are for one hour during the "fall back" time change? How silly is that! But necessary: otherwise, the 21:37 train from Munich to Berlin would arrive at 2:19 rather than 3:19, and that would be unacceptable.

Ten minutes of googling failed to tell me what they do in the summer. I guess the trains just arrive late, like usual. :)

(Actually, the trains here run pretty well. I bet they're more reliable than AMTRAK.)
DST coincides with the beginning of baseball season, or at least it used to until our distinguished president George Walker Bush changed it.
DST was suggested/invented by Benjamin Franklin. Believe it or not it was not all that long ago that DST was federally instituted. (Yet two states in the U.S. still ignore it.) I believe that Franklin thought of it as a benefit to the farming on which our economy is/was based.
History, related information, and funny anecdotes about DST here:

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/k.html

Two anecdotes found there, related to Stone's post:

"To keep to their published timetables, trains cannot leave a station before the scheduled time. So, when the clocks fall back one hour in October, all Amtrak trains in the U.S. that are running on time stop at 2:00 a.m. and wait one hour before resuming. Overnight passengers are often surprised to find their train at a dead stop and their travel time an hour longer than expected. At the spring Daylight Saving Time change, trains instantaneously become an hour behind schedule at 2:00 a.m., but they just keep going and do their best to make up the time."

"Among the first institutions affected by Daylight Saving Time was the Berlin Opera, on April 30, 1916--the evening when the clocks in Germany were to be set forward for the first time. At 11:00 p.m., all German clocks were to be set to midnight. The Berlin Opera, with wonderful forethought, changed its schedule and began its performance of Die Meistersinger an hour earlier than usual. This allowed grateful audience members to be able to catch their customary trains home at the end of the performance. (All trains scheduled to depart between 11:00 p.m. and midnight were immediately behind schedule when 11:00 p.m. changed to midnight, and so left as soon as possible. And trains scheduled to depart after midnight left the equivalent of one hour early."
I thought Franklin was smarter than to think livestock or crops care what time it is. I guess we all have our flaws.
Ben Franklin was worried about the rush hour traffic in old Philadelphia, and believe me it still is bad.
History of DST and Ben Franklin's role:

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin.html

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin.html

At the age of 78, in a moment of whimsy, Benjamin Franklin wrote An Economical Project, a discourse on the thrift of natural versus artificial lighting. He included several funny regulations that Paris might adopt to help.

As he neared the end of his long tenure as American delegate in Paris, Benjamin Franklin felt his years. Gout and gallstones hampered his movements and left him virtually confined to his house in the Parisian suburb of Passy. Such restrictions to a man of Franklin's dynamic and social nature would have been vexing indeed had he not the company of close friends, men like Antoine Alexis-Francois Cadet de Vaux, editor of the Journal de Paris, who encouraged him to work on simple, yet important, problems. To show his appreciation to these comrades, Franklin penned a series of bagatelles for their amusement.

One such piece took the form of a letter to the Journal de Paris concerning the economy of lighting in the home, which Franklin wrote after attending the demonstration of a new oil lamp. In it, he parodied himself, his love of thrift, his scientific papers and his passion for playing chess until the wee hours of the morning then sleeping until midday. His friend Cadet de Vaux published the letter in the Journal on April 26, 1784, under the English title An Economical Project. Franklin began the letter by noting that much discussion had followed the demonstration of an oil lamp the previous evening concerning the amount of oil used in relation to the quantity of light produced. This he followed with details of how a great discovery of an avenue of thrift came to him.
Franklin's original (humorous?) essay proposing DST:

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin3.html

Some of his suggestions:

Let a tax be laid of a louis per window, on every window that is provided with shutters to keep out the light of the sun.

Let the same salutary operation of police be made use of, to prevent our burning candles, that inclined us last winter to be more economical in burning wood; that is, let guards be placed in the shops of the wax and tallow chandlers, and no family be permitted to be supplied with more than one pound of candles per week.

Every morning, as soon as the sun rises, let all the bells in every church be set ringing; and if that is not sufficient?, let cannon be fired in every street, to wake the sluggards effectually, and make them open their eyes to see their true interest.
HEY HEY HEY
It's 6:52 pm here, and it is still light out side.

WHOOP TE DO
[quote]
On 2010-03-14 09:35, Al Angello wrote:
DST coincides with the beginning of baseball season, or at least it used to until our distinguished president George Walker Bush changed it.
[/quote]
For a guy who does not like political debates and complains and whines about others having opinions, you turn anything into a political statement. My god get over it for pity sake LOL. Your dude is in power! ENJOY IT SOME!

DST has at least one place in the US that ignores it. In Indiana half did, half didn't and what not. I think it changed in 2004 or 2005. Maybe it is in one of the links above I am not sure. Well I did a show at a place one part of the year and they were on the same basic time zone I was in Illinios. Go back at another time of year and I am confused. I show up ready to do the show what I figure is about an hour and 20 minutes early. Turns out I am 20 minutes early. Place is PACKED an hour plus before the show! Man am I cool. So I am back stage with my feet up on a chair just chilling from the drive and they are looking at me. (naturally because I am so cool right?) Well finally one guy asks if they can do sound checks and I said "yea no biggie we can get to them."

Finally it dawns on me and I ask, "What time do you guys think it is?" The answer needles to say springs me into action and now at least instead of them thinking I am the north end of a south bound horse they just think I am an idiot. (not sure either observation was wrong LOL)

So I hate DST.
Danny
I was merely being kind to our distinguished former president, and I am sure that Mr. Bush had a good reason to change it. The fact that it is not clear to me is irrelevent.
From one of the links I posted:

Indiana has long been a hotbed of Daylight Saving Time controversy. Historically, the state's two western corners, which fall in the Central Time Zone, observed DST, while the remainder of the state, in the Eastern Time zone, followed year-round Standard Time. An additional complication was that five southeastern counties near Cincinnati and Louisville unofficially observed DST to keep in sync with those cities. Because of the longstanding feuds over DST, Indiana politicians often treated the subject gingerly. In 1996, gubernatorial candidate Rex Early firmly declared, "Some of my friends are for putting all of Indiana on Daylight Saving Time. Some are against it. And I always try to support my friends."

In April 2005, Indiana legislators passed a law that implemented Daylight Saving Time statewide beginning on April 2, 2006.
[quote]
On 2010-03-14 19:17, balducci wrote:
From one of the links I posted:

Indiana has long been a hotbed of Daylight Saving Time controversy. Historically, the state's two western corners, which fall in the Central Time Zone, observed DST, while the remainder of the state, in the Eastern Time zone, followed year-round Standard Time. An additional complication was that five southeastern counties near Cincinnati and Louisville unofficially observed DST to keep in sync with those cities. Because of the longstanding feuds over DST, Indiana politicians often treated the subject gingerly. In 1996, gubernatorial candidate Rex Early firmly declared, "Some of my friends are for putting all of Indiana on Daylight Saving Time. Some are against it. And I always try to support my friends."

In April 2005, Indiana legislators passed a law that implemented Daylight Saving Time statewide beginning on April 2, 2006.
[/quote]

Yea I figured it would be there. Why couldn't they fix it back in maybe 1992? THAT would have been helpful!
It's really a good time to stay up until 1:59 AM on March 13-14 to watch a Daylight Savings Time-automatic clock go right from 1:59 to 3:00. Totally worth it.
[quote]
On 2010-03-14 19:17, Al Angello wrote:
Danny
I was merely being kind to our distinguished former president, and I am sure that Mr. Bush had a good reason to change it. The fact that it is not clear to me is irrelevent.
[/quote]

Possibly the same good reasons that our distinguished current president had for voting in favor of it, when he was a distinguished senator.
The bill that extended DST, btw, was a huge bill with many various energy-related provisions. The change to DST was one small portion of it.
Bit me in the butt this morning. I came down at 6:00 AM, all ready to get showered and leave at 6:55 to catch a 7:00 bus... then my son came down, looked at the DVD player (which reset automatically) and said; "Dad, how come it's 7:00?"

*sigh* Half an hour late for work!
By calling various people distinguished gentlemen I believe that it has taken the edge off of the conversation. LOL
Actually by showing how little you know about things like how bills are passed, and not knowing much about them explains a lot.

I know it is popular to blame the guy in the White Houe, but come on you should know better. Unless they had control fo congress, it is not totally the big guys fault. Now they HAD control for maybe 2 years right? Here is some help. http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_law.html

Now is one of the times when the same party has complete control of each house of congress, so it could be said it is the top guys fault.

Odd how so much of what you hate Bush for, your guy Obama voted for isn't it?

Sorry to make sense like that and confuse you.

I am personally a fan of one party in the Executive brance and one in the Legislative branch. Gridlock is not always a bad thing.
Here in Queensland, long known as the most conservative state in Australia (which means we're positively communist compared to anywhere in the US) Daylight Saving, which is long established in the rest of the country, has always been resisted.

Folks here have argued that the extra hour of sunlight would fade the curtains, increase skin cancers, and confuse the cows about milking time.

In the 1970's the virtual dictator of our state, Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen - a self righteous, right wing religious idealogue who'd gerrymandered electorates so his corrupt government retained power on not much more than 20% of the vote, absolutely rejected the idea of DS and suggested it was part of the great communist conspiracy to undermine the western democracies. Bob Hawke, then head of the trade union movement, and later probably our most popular Prime Minister ever, won Australian hearts by suggesting Sir Joh would not introduce DS because he thought the sun shone out of his arse and he wasn't getting out of bed an hour early for anyone.
One good reason for DST (especially in this economy) is that it does change behaviors- with an extra hour of daylight, people tend to go out to the mall or the ballpark more. However, that's about the only thing it does anymore- any energy savings from one factor is offset by loss of efficiency from another factor.

So if they stopped lumping it with an energy program, it might at least produce fewer grumblings about useless government intervention with clocks. (And more grumblings about government intervention in our economy, no doubt.)