(Close Window)
Topic: Ideas for walkaround rope routines
When doing walkaround magic I always carry a rope and that little something extra for performing a classic hand-cut rope routine. I use David Stone's "Hallucination" routine from "Real Secrets of Magic", vol 1. An absolutely stunning routine which I often use as an opener.
Often I follow it with Hunter's knot where a spectator gets his own rope and we do the same moves but end up differently anyway. Great fun.

I would like to have one or two other rope routines in my repertoire which uses the same props as I already have in my pockets - if you know what I mean ;-)
I do a ring-and rope routine in my standup set but I don't carry a ring when doing walkaround.

I have Abbot's, Fulves and Flip's and a Daryl DVD in my library, but I could need some inspiration from you guys! Can you recommend a true "worker" rope routine with somewhat different effects than the endless-loop/where-are-the-ends Hallucination routine and the unique Hunter's knot routine.

Some ideas could be impossible knots (Flip has some really cool ones which I use in a standup routine) or a series of penetrations (arm, neck), but I haven't really found a great _routine_ yet. Any ideas?
Dennis Loomis has a DVD which he does several tricks with one piece of rope. The one rope trick that Dennis is famous for is the Will Rogers snap knot which will take some time to learn, but it is worth it.
For some really good ring on and off rope effects, get the little booklet called 'Jay's Jinking Rings' by Magic Inc. This is finger ring effects and rings from Ellis Ring to a 3" or 5" size. A number of audience participation effects as well.

Be careful not to do to many effects with the same prop, people will think it all the same trick and lose interest.
I have an un-gimmicked Linking Ropes routine which can be done continuously. It resets during the routine, and people can come in at any point and leave when they've seen the part they have seen. Yet, most watch it a couple of times.
http://www.youtube.com/user/stagetricks?feature=mhw5
[quote]
On 2010-04-11 00:40, wmhegbli wrote:
For some really good ring on and off rope effects, get the little booklet called 'Jay's Jinking Rings' by Magic Inc. This is finger ring effects and rings from Ellis Ring to a 3" or 5" size. A number of audience participation effects as well.

Be careful not to do to many effects with the same prop, people will think it all the same trick and lose interest.
[/quote]
I totally agree. The effects have to be very different in order to be used together at the same table. But instead of taking out a prop and just showing a single trick with them I like to chain a few effects together. Like anything else, this can be too much of course - it's a balance.
I also carry a lot of different props in order to be able to vary the performance: cards, coins, rope, rubber bands, sponge balls - and recently: keys (thanks to Keymaster). But pocket management wise, I try to reuse my props as much as possible.
I have a rope/ring routine (Daryl's) in my stand-up set and sometimes I do both stand-up and close-up at the same venue. For close-up I also have a similar on/off routine with a string and a coin with a hole in it. Therefore I don't need a rope/ring in the close-up set.

But I would like to be able to to even more with the rope I'm already carrying - not necessarily for performing straight after the other effects.
Moechsle
When I do walkaround magic I never cary more that 6 tricks on me, because I'm on the move, and playing for only a few people at a time. Of course my brief case is never far away, but I do not use more that what I have on me.
[quote]
On 2010-04-11 07:59, magicians wrote:
I have an un-gimmicked Linking Ropes routine which can be done continuously. It resets during the routine, and people can come in at any point and leave when they've seen the part they have seen. Yet, most watch it a couple of times.
http://www.youtube.com/user/stagetricks?feature=mhw5
[/quote]
I have considered a prof. nightmare routine even though it means adding another item in my pockets! I already have the Joachim Solberg routine on tape but your routine sure looks [b]very[/b] good too! Especially the part where the spectator stretches the ropes. And, of course, your Flash restoration.
[quote]
On 2010-04-10 22:46, Al Angello wrote:
Dennis Loomis has a DVD which he does several tricks with one piece of rope. The one rope trick that Dennis is famous for is the Will Rogers snap knot which will take some time to learn, but it is worth it.
[/quote]
Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.
There have been many posts made here about both Dennis's DVD, and the snap knot, so I suggest that you do a search on it. The bad news is that there is no video of this trick.
Alan Hayden did a killer rope routine without scissors and got a lot out of it at the Castle ... I don't know if it is print but you might search his stuff..
[quote]
On 2010-04-11 16:42, Pete Biro wrote:
Alan Hayden did a killer rope routine without scissors and got a lot out of it at the Castle ... I don't know if it is print but you might search his stuff..
[/quote]

Did a search on Alan Hayden products and it seems the rope routine is not available, only his ring routine and his lecture 2, no indication of lecture 1.
[quote]
On 2010-04-11 15:05, Al Angello wrote:
There have been many posts made here about both Dennis's DVD, and the snap knot, so I suggest that you do a search on it. The bad news is that there is no video of this trick.
[/quote]
In spite of heavy googling, I haven't been able to find a listing of the DVD's contents. What kind of knots and flourishes are explained ?
There is a nice flourish in the Hunter Knot manuscript that Tim Hyde put out some time back. Could be added to different routines. http://www.magiccoach.com/hunter.htm
Here is the Dennis Loomis DVD on his web store: [url=http://loomismagic.com/item22043.htm]CLICK HERE[/url]
Loomis doesn't ship to Denmark
[quote]
On 2010-04-12 18:29, bubbleburst2004 wrote:
[/quote]

That is just UN-American, in the 21st Century. Without international sales the USA will collapse.
75% of my business is International sales.
[quote]
On 2010-04-12 18:29, bubbleburst2004 wrote:
[/quote]
that's not a problem, I can get this in Europe, eg.
http://www.magic-factory-shop.de/product_info.php?products_id=1516

But I would like a listing of the knots and flourishes that are explained on the disc.
Moechsle, that is a very puzzling question indeed. Most moves do not really have names for Ring and Rope routines. I can only think of 1 name of a move, and that is the persons name. Most instruction just say on ring, off ring, penetration 1, penetration 2, etc.

Not every handling and flurish has a name.
Dennis Loomis is a member of this forum. I suggest that you ask him directly.
Let me toot my own horn again. When I first came up with Dances with ropes, it was an evolutionary process. The routine was, however, a platform or parlour effect. The un-gimmicked version, (on the DVD as an advanced routine) was something I adapted to use for close-up and actually first tried it under fire in a crowd of 500. I was strolling and because the effect had several elements, I was allowed to keep the audience occupied for 3-4 minutes.
Now, because the effect, in essence resets as you perform, someone can come in the middle of it and not see repetition or have to be brought up to speed.
The routine does not end, as I just keep going and I slowly revolve to the crowd behind me after each set. The audience, leaves on their own when they see the repetition (actually a combination of 25% leaving and the rest wanting to see it again.).
As I work thru the crowd, I just keep going with a moving 4 minute effect with lots of key moves and applause cue points.
That very first time, of performing under fire was rewarding, as I had started out with the gimmicked linking ropes which is about 20% of the routine, the gimmick came loose causing me to continue the effect without it.
As I said, I had practiced the ungimmicked effect but never did it out of necessity.
It not only worked, but going without the gaff allowed me to hand the ropes out for examination two times during the set.
I would say, that this is ideal for any walk-a-round situation.
[quote]
On 2010-04-10 17:26, moechsle wrote:
When doing walkaround magic I always carry a rope and that little something extra for performing a classic hand-cut rope routine. I use David Stone's "Hallucination" routine from "Real Secrets of Magic", vol 1. An absolutely stunning routine which I often use as an opener.
[/quote]
I just watched a performance of the Stone routine which seems to have 90% borrowed material from Sands, with a little Tabary thrown in.
You may want to look into Sandsational and Sandslide (now available from Allan Sands.
You wil see more content and the origins of many of these "lecturers" on rope.
George Sands always worked with a single piece of rope, and a pair of scissors. He is the master of rope magic, and you just can't go wrong doing his original moves.
I have some nice flyers about the Knot routine and I'd gladly send one to anyone that asks. E-mail me your Postal mailing address to deloomis@mindspring.com

I found this list of the segments on the DVD which will give you some idea of what's on it:

Dennis Loomis Routine:
Single Overhand Knot and Slip Knot
Sliding Knot
Intro to One Handed Knot
One Handed Knot
2 Hands, 2 Knots
Bow Knot
Chefalo Knot
Knot that tries
Butterfly and Mosquito
Intro to Lazy Sailor tying Figure 8
Lazy Sailor Tying Figure 8
Intro to Will Rogers Snap Knot A
Clip from Ropin Rool
Intro to Will Rogers Snap Knot B
Will Rogers Knot
End of Will Rogers Knot Insts.

Bonus Section:
G.W. Hunter Puzzle Knot
Combo Knot
Sliding Knot Alternative
Party and Summer Camp Put-Ons
Jim Snapp’s Weighted Knot
Two Knots Snapped with one hand
Bob Lewis Routine
Snapping a Slip Knot
Lazy Sailor tying Single Overhand Knot
Intro to Strobe Sequence
Strobe Sequence
Flying Butterfly
Monk Watson’s Sliding Knot Demo
Monk Watson Explanation
Intro to Eskimo Yo-Yo
Oslund doing Eskimo Yo-Yo
Intro to Mary Mowder doing Flips Slipknot
Mary doing the Flip Slip Knot Routine
Intro to Bill Spooner’s Snap Knot
Bill Spooner’s Snap Knot
Credits

Thanks to all that have made positive comments on this DVD. Buyers are free to use my own routine if they wish, but the DVD has over 35 trick and fancy knots explained and I hope you will be inspired to put your own routine together.

Dennis Loomis
Here are just a few of the comments I've received about the Knot Routine DVD:

"An invaluable DVD for anyone who wants to add rope magic to their show. Highly recommended." Meir Yedid, Fair Lawn, NJ

"To be honest I do not like most routines with ropes. I think they are boring and I hear the people in the audience, sitting near me, whispering the same thing. Your routine is one of the few exceptions. It is very entertaining. There are several knots that I never tried or used or even wanted to try until I saw your routine so now I will have some fun working on them. You have the magic touch and the personality to go with your skill." Steve Dusheck, Hazleton, PA

"What Counts, Cuts, and Subtleties is to Card magic.... The Dennis Loomis Knot Routine... Plus! is to Rope magic. A must have DVD!!! Dennis takes you step by step through clear explanations of magic’s mysterious rope knots. You can finally understand and learn them. Anyone putting a rope act together needs this DVD. Dennis is a great teacher and you feel he is there personally with you.
Tony Blanco, Las Vegas, NV

“At first I thought this was just an ‘OK’ routine. Then I tried some of the knots on a lay audience and ‘WOW!’ What a reaction. Now I realize how good this material is, and what a nice guy Dennis Loomis is. I would like to meet him and shake his hand.” Darren Kidby, UK

"The Dennis Loomis Knot Routine is the perfect interlude, the five to eight minutes of time when you're forced to stretch, fill a spot, cover for something (or someone) else. It's light, diverting, and entertaining. And packs well with no preparation." Tony Chadhuri, Naples FL

"I wish I had all of this information when I was a youngster! The explanations are very clear and easy to understand. I recommend it highly." Frank Baxter, Retired Professional Magician, Pollock Pines, CA

"This is a wonderful teaching tool. Everything is so clear with the views shot from behind. Thank you so much for making this resource available!" Serena Lumiere, Hemet, CA

"I have to admit I was somewhat doubtful that a routine of just knots would be that entertaining. I was very surprised and entertained, however, while watching it! You are doing progressively more difficult bits, culminating with the (seemingly) impossible one-handed knot tie. I liked it a lot and can see adding some of the "bits" into my rope routine. Also, I thought it was filmed and presented very professionally and your explanations were very clear. Good work, Dennis." Doug Brewer, San Diego CA

"Your Knot DVD is seriously better than most productions on the market." Bill Nagler, Livonia MI

"The DVD is really good. It is one of the best teaching videos that I have seen. I could follow the directions, and the demos were outstanding." Sterling Dare, Vero Beach, FL

"I bought this DVD and found it a wealth of information on rope knots used in magic and skill demonstrations. Thank you Dennis for a major resource contribution for magicians looking to add rope and knot effects to their routines." Rene Clement, New York, NY

“This is by far one of the finest rope routines on the market. Dennis is an excellent performer. The scripting and timing are well thought out. You cannot go wrong with this.”
Oliver Greenwood, Concord, CA
Any youtube performances of you around?
I would add Bachelor's Needle. You can find it in the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks for Magicians as well as many other places.
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Aug 29, 2010 08:07PM)
I would suggest looking at Richard Sander's Fiber Optics Extended and David Williamson Ring and Rope routine...
I also suggest The Dennis Loomis Knot Routine, (not just because I'm on it). I use them myself.

There are some great interactive effects on the disk and the material really engages the audience.

Most of these will work up-close for walk-around and don't have to be done all at once.

- Mary Mowder
The Loomis DVD looks interesting. As pointed out earlier, a pity he won't post them overseas.