(Close Window)
Topic: Blank Night - a new Bank night method
Hi all.

I am not sure of the etiquette of posting about your own products here, or indeed most forums. If I am meant to get someone else to say "Hey does anyone know about John Archer's new Bank night routine called 'Blank Night' it sounds great" then please let me know. If putting this up myself is bad form then please delete and I'll use the back door.
Cutting to the chase I have decided to release my bank night routine as a downloadable PDF (an experiment in marketing at the moment). If you are interested I have added a magician's page on my website where you can find more information and if you so wish, purchase. http://www.john-archer.com
many knowledgeable (and not so knowledgeable) magicians have seen it and made positive comments. I will leave it to them to decide if they wish to speak up with a yea or nay.

Many thanks,

John.
Hmm sounds interesting, there are so many bank nights out there, which one should I pick. I've been doing richard osterlinds for a few years, perhaps I'll check this out
Check out Lucky Night by Bryn Reynolds as described in the Safwan Papers. You will be glad you did.
John is this suitable for close-up situations and are there any restrictions about envelopes?
Thanx!
If someone like john archer is releasing his take on a classic such as BN... What are you waiting for?! Just click buy!!
I'll declare an interest: John's a good friend of mine. That having been said, if I honestly thought this wasn't very good, I would say so.

Everyone in mentalism knows there are countless 'Bank Nite' effects already out there, and everyone has their own favourites. John Archer's new creation, 'Blank Nite', is one of the very best. I've seen the manuscript that John is selling, and I've seen John perform the routine in front of a huge audience on his recent national tour (his fourth) with comedian Tim Vine.

It's an excellent routine that scores well because it looks completely, 100% fair and direct. In fact, from an audience's point of view there is simply no discernible difference between watching this routine and watching someone who truly, honestly could actually put the money in the one envelope no-one chooses. There's no forcing, no strange or extraneous moves, no procedural deviation from what you would do if you could do it for real.

It's a smart, ingenious method that works well in the real world. The explanation is crystal clear and easy to follow. There's a small bit of work to do, but if you can cut up an envelope, you can create this item.

The only caveat I'd offer is that this particular version is best-suited to stage performances with the audience all front-facing. You COULD use it in a close-up situation, or in a stage performance with the audience to the sides or surrounded, but you'd have to be careful.

It's a top-class approach to 'Bank Nite' from a top-class performer who knows what works in the real world. Highly recommended.
Wow
Ian Rowland is backing it up as well as Looch
so this gotta be good

and yes John, the cafť works on that way.. getting somebody else to do the ®hey have you seen this® approach.. is kind of lame, so I rather your approach
well done
Big fan of John's work.....not only his 'simple is best' handlings, but how he creates routines that are first and foremost entertaining!
I watched John perform this routine a few months ago infront of a few hundred people and the routine was absolutely brilliant!

Obvously John is an incredible performer and he proves that something as simple as five envelopes can amaze people.

To be totally honest, when I watched him perform it, I had no clue how it could be so clean. He literally pulls three £20 notes from the envelope he's left with. They also come out fully opened! Not all crushed and folded.

Well John kindly sent over the manuscript and I learned he doesn't actually do it for real :( . The method though is fresh, simple and has many uses!

This is well worth picking up if you're looking for a bank night routine worth performing on stage! VERY creative!

Col
I need to go on the record to say that this is a wonderfully clever idea. It's so clever that I can't imagine someone like John coming up with it.

C'mon John, there is a creative genius out there missing a notebook. Fess up!

John's work on this will enable the performer to remove the notes as new, instead of un-balling them as with some methods. Equally, the angle issues have been completely thought of.

The entire handling is fair and to the point, with no faffing (technical term).

Oh, and you may find yourself laughing out loud as you read. It seems that John's holds so much comedy that it spills into his finger's as he types :)

Great work, John.

Cheers,

-Paul

P.S. Can I have my notebook back?
Nice thinking, John. This is an easy to do Bank Nite, but you will have to do some construction... not hard... simple stuff.
And, as been mentioned, this is an effect you need to do when people are not behind you or have an extreme angle, but other than it's very commercial.
I would love to see John's presentation of this because I'm sure it's hysterical.

Greg
Greg, it's brilliant!

Bear in mind John was performing for around 500 people, over the full evening he only did two routines. This was one of them... I think that speaks volumes for how strong it is!

Col

PS: It was totally hilarious!
[quote]
On 2010-04-29 09:59, aligator wrote:
Check out Lucky Night by Bryn Reynolds as described in the Safwan Papers. You will be glad you did.
[/quote]

I've gone on record as being quite fond of Safwan Papers but Lucky Night, as good as it may be, is almost an exact rehash of Bob Cassidy's work (see Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy). Bryn's been told this by me and several others, and it doesn't detract from the rest of his excellent work, but I felt obligated to share that fact.

You'll be glad you picked up Safwan Papers in any case, just to be clear.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Apr 29, 2010 08:00PM)
[quote]
On 2010-04-29 16:12, Colin wrote:
Well John kindly sent over the manuscript and I learned he doesn't actually do it for real :( .
[/quote]
:lol:

This line made me spill some orange juice on my desk (luckily my keyboard is safe)...
Just got this and I like it. I do want to point out that you really don't get a routine so much as a method and the handling.

But what a method. It reads very...very...clean.

I've already started assembling everything to try this one out.

Well worth the money.
Got one.

Love it.

The combination of this and Kennedy's latest take on the envelope test are two of the best bits of new thinking around on the envelope test.

Both Great.
Is this an instant download?
[quote]
On 2010-04-30 13:43, Tony Razzano wrote:
Is this an instant download?
[/quote]

no, but john emails it fast.
OK, Thanks,VIEW. I appreciate it.
[quote]
On 2010-04-29 18:20, Greg Arce wrote:
I would love to see John's presentation of this because I'm sure it's hysterical.[/quote]
Another act you missed at the Magic Castle, eh, Greg? John performed this earlier this year when he was here and this was in his set. It was, indeed, hilarious. But then, to me, John could read the phone book and it would be hilarious. I haven't got this PDF, but I can also attest that if the performing conditions are right for you, then this is a bank nite you'll enjoy doing.

Jheff
http://www.MarketplaceoftheMind.com
Some kind words indeed.

Well the reviews are starting to come in from some people who have seen the PDF...

So in an attempt to further hype myself here's what some eminent people have said ...

"Absolutely wonderful. Great thinking." Banachek

"Iím frankly amazed that John has decided to release it, but who am I to argue? Itís a fantastic development that all magicians need to know about." Geoffrey Durham

"Lovely" Michael Weber

"It's a smart, ingenious method that works well in the real world." Ian Rowland

"First paragraph: 'magicians' shouldn't have an apostrophe." John Lovick

Cheers,

John.
Just received this.

Great fun and worth it just for the line about child care workers.
Not that you need the endorsement of an unknown when you have the heavyweights like Banachek et al; I love the fact that it's a holding form in which to 'drop' your own style into. Very clear diagrams of the handling and the construction.

Thanks for the rapid service and the best of luck to you.
This is indeed very good! I'm totally satisfied with my purchase.
John's method is both practical and effective.

Highly recommended!

Regards from Germany
I have to say, I am very surprised at John giving this away. Particularly as it is part of his existing programme of effects.

Now, I have had a problem with Bank Nite in the past. Because I often get repeat bookings for the same clients, Bank Nite can start to lose its credibility. One of my main clients has already worked out that there is a possibility that maybe Ė just maybe Ė the money isnít actually in there in the first place. Itís a case of ďAh dunno how yaz dun it, but ah knows ya dun it!Ē

And so it has become a puzzle for him.

However, with Johnís method the money is clearly extracted, unfolded, from the last envelope. And, if I was to be honest, unfolded bills / notes is the way you would really do it. Johnís method is exactly how it would look.

Anyway, I had the opportunity to see John actually perform this the other evening. It was fabulous. Yes, his patter and humour and wit makes it roll along Ė not the way I would perform it (Iím not funny), but as a technical piece it is EXACTLY how it would look if you were doing it for real. There is absolutely no doubt in the mind of the audience that the wad of money was anywhere but in the last envelope. The possibility of any money not being in any of the envelopes will not even enter their mind.

If you are considering doing Bank Nite or if you already perform it, I would highly recommend this technique above all others. Itís not often you get a workable impressive improvement on one of the classics. In this case, John has managed it.

Bank Nite will never look the same!

(Oh, and if you get the chance to see John perform it, then grab it. You WILL laugh out loud, so prepare to have a wee tear roll down your leg.)

Drew
I watched John do this again the other night again. This time I knew what I was looking for!

... Still missed it :(

It's a totally fooling method! You're gonna love it :)

Col

P.s. Unless he is just doing it for real when I watch him... Hmmmm...
Sounds great.

There do not seem to be any 'buy buttons' on your page John, so please let me know where to email my PayPal payment.

Anthony
Hey guys,

Bryn brought to my attention how my post sounded. I told him via PM, and all of you now, that I didn't mean it to detract from his work at all. I really have nothing bad to say about his work, I am quite fond of it.

With that being said, let me try to be a bit clearer:

If you are simply looking for ONLY a Bank Night type approach, I'd personally recommend the Bob Cassidy work as opposed to The Safwan Papers. It's very, very, very, very similar (in my opinion, of course). The strength of The Safwan Papers, for me, is in the other effects. I'm sure this will read differently to others than I meant it so I will say it again:

I think The Safwan Papers are excellent. I just don't think the Bank Night version contained in it is where its strength lies.

Hmmm, reading that it still sounds like I'm down on Bryn or his release but I'm not. It's really, really good.

I got it: just ignore everything I said in this thread.

That's a good rule of thumb anyway.

Lem
[quote]
On 2010-05-03 20:09, Lemniscate wrote:
Hey guys,

Bryn brought to my attention how my post sounded. I told him via PM, and all of you now, that I didn't mean it to detract from his work at all. I really have nothing bad to say about his work, I am quite fond of it.

If you are simply looking for ONLY a Bank Night type approach, I'd personally recommend the Bob Cassidy work as opposed to The Safwan Papers. It's very, very, very, very similar (in my opinion, of course). The strength of The Safwan Papers, for me, is in the other effects. I'm sure this will read differently to others than I meant it so I will say it again:

I think The Safwan Papers are excellent. I just don't think the Bank Night version contained in it is where its strength lies.

Hmmm, reading that it still sounds like I'm down on Bryn or his release but I'm not. It's really, really good.

Lem
[/quote]
Hey, no wories, and I certainly appreciate the kind words regearding the book. THanks!
Bryn
So, with all due respect...is there a video of this masterpiece?
Ted L
Hi Anthony,

You need to click the link on the magician's page of my website to get to the download buy now buttons. Any problems just email me.

Sorry but no video of my masterpiece. ;-) Mainly because for quite a few reasons I don't want to put my routine out there. What this PDF covers is a new clean method where several banknotes can be removed freely and un-folded from the final envelope. Lots of people here will vouch that it is a clean practical and workable method at that.

Hope that helps,

John.
So many things here get over-hyped, especially download products from people we've never heard of or seen. John has a track record of delivering solid, commercial routines. This one is no exception.

There isn't a play on words in the description. Spectators can choose any envelopes and the one that you're left holding has the money. Want to know what it looks like? Get an envelope, put some money in it, go to a mirror, open the envelope and take out the money. It's that simple.

I'm glad that there isn't a word-for-word routine. John gets to protect his presentation and everyone gets a chance to discover their own routine. It's less than $25 US and most of us will get 10 minutes out of it. That's a bargain!
This really is very good! So easy to do and so very clean!! If you want a great routine to go with it, get (as John suggests) Sean Taylor's excellent Mindstorms book - and there are lots of other goodies in it, too!

Allan
Thanks John.

I just placed my order. Your buy buttons do not seem to display in Firefox.

Anthony
Thanks guys.

I wasn't aware of the Firefox issue? Not sure why that is, they are the button/links supplied by paypal?

I may try and do a video of the effect without the presentation though in fairness people will think I have just put the money in the last envelope? I suppose it will demonstrate how clean the effect is if you choose to believe the video?

John.
I would do the video, but with a stooge. Obviously not say anything as that would spoil it.
I had some email issues and had trouble receiving the PDF for a few days.

I want to thank John for his many efforts to get the situation resolved, which it did.

John's customer service is second to none.
[quote]
On 2010-05-04 09:51, Mentalist Sam wrote:
So many things here get over-hyped, especially download products from people we've never heard of or seen. John has a track record of delivering solid, commercial routines. This one is no exception.
[/quote]

Well I think this WAS overhyped. But in all fairness not from John, but rather every other writer in here. I'm not really sure why. I suppose it's social-compliance in operation again. He's a funny guy, we all like him, he's had some great stuff in the past = this must be good?
Then of course as each person ques up to confirm this to be the case the evidence builds and builds until he himself might well be excused for believing he's the second coming.
Anyway, sorry to be a party pooper. I think it's ok but the use of a TT is by far better for me personally.
bobser
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (May 6, 2010 08:43AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-06 09:32, bobser wrote:

Well I think this WAS overhyped. But in all fairness not from John, but rather every other writer in here.
[/quote]

Bobser,

How did you crack my subliminal code in this post of mine - the only one in this thread up to now - and knew I was actually overhyping John's bank night thru a subtle use of words like "keyboard" and "orange juice" ??? :)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=362647&forum=15&post=6573775
You are welcome to your opinion Bobser. However, I don't think people are over-hyping they are just expressing their differing opinion that they would prefer this to the use of a TT.

Personally I prefer 1. The ability to show the money being removed clearly from inside the envelope
2, being able to remove the money fully unfolded 3, Being able to produce a number of notes rather than just one. Also the hands are clean throughout and (with a slight re-ordering of the envelopes) the envelopes can be shown front and back through the routine.

Each to his own though and I appreciate that you may find another method preferable. Thanks for the purchase and sorry it's not for you.

John.
Blank Night allows the traditional BN routine to be visually engaging from a greater distance through the ability to use larger envelopes. It also opens up the routine to different target items, including ones larger than bills.

The capacity of producing an unfolded item also lends itself to other productions. Years ago for a Valentine's Day show I used my Wynton Marsalis sold out Valentine's Night show tickets as the target prize. Because of the size of the tickets, they had to be folded to work with Osterlind's method from his opener. Since I didn't want to fold my actual tickets, I had to make up realistic duplicates for the routine.

Blank Night would have solved that problem with the trade off being a small degree of prop management. I could have even made the duplicte tickets larger and more visual from the stage.

This is a wonderful stage method which allows for the production item to be so much more than it has in the past. For me the "Blank" in Blank Night stands for the blank slate you have in terms of what you want to produce. Size limitation is no longer a limiting element.

To that end, John, you've got mail.
Ok guys.

Not sure if this is a good idea or not but I have a little youtube video here of me running through the effect without any presentation. I promise this is as it would look. I really am doing the work and I deliberately didn't take the easiest route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llqjMLS11Nk

I await the inevitable critiques.

Regards,

John.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (May 6, 2010 11:42AM)
Your video is still 'private' at the moment, John :)
It really is a blank night you can't see the video!
Wait, what? John is showing his privates?????
I'm onto it..... I think?

Give me a minutes or 12

J
I want something else!!! A present of some kind!!!
You have my love Bobser... and when we meet again I will procure a drink for you....

Now back to my technological dissasters.

Try this instead guys http://vimeo.com/11530377 and use the password: Look blank in anger

Cheers,

J
Wow now that looks like an incredibly deceptive and clean handling, the way the contents are revealed looks great.

What would you consider the cons of utilising this method for close-up?
Is it only some angle worries or is there more to it that makes this not ideal for that kind of situation?

Cheers.
Hi Jaybest.

I created this for stage cabaret really. It could be used in a close up situation but you do have a few angle issues (just at the end really if you slightly re-jig the envelope handling)
Having said that it is at its best playing to a larger crowd. For close up situations you may be find other solutions that work better for you.

Hope that makes sense.

John
[quote]
On 2010-05-06 15:13, jaybest wrote:
What would you consider the cons of utilising this method for close-up?
[/quote]BN in general is not a close-up effect. Each method will likely have its own unique handling nuances to work out if one wished to convert it to a close-up effect. Blank Night is no different in that respect.
Cheers for getting back, I understand, cool.
... on reflection mate, that presentation is slightly better. Worth considering?

Col. :P
I now Know why Bobser doesn't like it. He doesn't have enough money to put into the envelopes to make it look good.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (May 7, 2010 03:45AM)
Priceless! :lol:
[quote]
On 2010-05-07 03:43, Colin wrote:
... on reflection mate, that presentation is slightly better. Worth considering?

Col. :P
[/quote]

I can't wait to get the chance to heckle you Mr Colin ;-)

J
What about making some of the envelopes up for me? But not telling anyone else.
Or what about that T-shirt you were wearing John? Why can't I have that? I'm still not happy!
Even if you send me the made up envelope I'm still gonna wear a TT when I perform this out of spite. Nothing against you John. You're ok. It's the other ones who over hyped this, not you. You probably use a TT and that's why you're selling it off. I don't mean that in a bad way.
I'm serious about that T-shirt by the way.

Bob
I'll send you a TT Bobser, and maybe a change bag and some linking rings.....

J
Video worked... sales gone mad. ;-)

John
I like it, I like him, I want him in ways a man shouldn't but as ever he turns me down for Nyman 'again'..
Good work John, nicely illustrated (I enjoy that) but above all else workable and very useful for other effects totally unrelated to bank night..

Peace MS
[quote]
On 2010-05-03 20:41, mindhunter wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-05-03 20:09, Lemniscate wrote:
Hey guys,

Lem
[/quote]
Hey, no wories, and I certainly appreciate the kind words regearding the book. THanks!
Bryn
[/quote]
Good luck with the release!
Bryn
Thanks Marc.

You are right it has a lot of other potential uses as I think Banacheck and a few others have also pointed out.
Eventually we may compile a list togetehr.

Hope to see you soon,

J
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (May 17, 2010 11:20PM)
Yep!

I think I mentioned to John in a PM, this thing has many uses.

One would be the Coupon Capers effect from Phil Goldstein's Notions (with certain NEEDED changes) ...
Yup. A confabulation option and a headline prediction too. basically a lot of options to 'cleanly' have some thing removed from a pre-selected envelope.... there could be a whole book here... :)

J
...Is that your next DVD project? :)
Lol....Nope But I may include the presentation and method on the next DVD? Who knows, nothing in stone as yet.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (May 19, 2010 12:45PM)
Yes... but then include a section on the TT for our good Bobser. ;)
I wanna help!

John, this is great, and I already told you my plans! I think I'm gonna have a stage show right in my wallet (wow, that just doesn't sound right...)!

Thanks!
I love John Archer and I love Blank Night.
Wonderful routine. Blank night is blanking brilliant.

Archini is great and funny.
A confabulation option and a headline prediction too...

Hmmmm...
A new John Archer DVD? I can't wait!
Excellent new utility method John.

Delighted to see loads of people here have missed a. the point & b. what a fantastic addition to any working mentalists tool kit this is.

If I had my way you'd stop selling it now I've bought it.

As usual for something of yours, it's real world practical & actually bloody useful unlike 98% of the tut I see sold week in week out.

Doug

Note to self. Must stop liking new releases or at least keep it to myself..... That's three times this year.
Just bought and recieved blank nite, may I add my voice to the throng who say how clever and useful this is, I love it, and will add this finish to my current routine
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

John.
John...whatever script/presentation you have for this is probably worth double then what you are selling this for. serious.
I would happily pay double on top of the original price to get the presentation.
The full routine will probably be on my next DVD but that will be a few months away yet.

Thanks guys,

John.
Can I preorder and get the first one off the press?
No problem... lol. Speak to Peter Nardi at Alakazam. ;-)
Blank Night is a great effect. I saw John performing it twice now and he managed to fool me every time. From a great mind a great effect and super entertaining.
Just one word to conclude: Brilliant!!
Roni
Blank Night is totally brilliant, 9/10. The only problem I'm having is with sealing the envelopes, the gimmick gets in the way a bit when opening up the last envelope, so I find it easier if they arn't "sealed" shut.

Does anyone know a way to get around this? :)
Hi Eshla,

No need to seal the envelopes. I never present it that way. The fact that the final envelope holds several unfolded notes is enough of a convincer that you could never have sneaked them in or out.

Cheers,

John
A solid method and one of the best presented PDFs I have seen. Really clear instruction, good stuff.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie, glad you like it.

If any of you have had a little wait for the PDF then apologies. It went a little crazy after the Magic Mag review. I think we are all up to date now, though my son gets married this weekend so advanced apologies again.

Now when Streetwise gets reviewed in magic I am really going to have to be on the ball. ;-)

Cheers,

John.
Thanks Charlie, glad you like it.

If any of you have had a little wait for the PDF then apologies. It went a little crazy after the Magic Mag review. I think we are all up to date now, though my son gets married this weekend so advanced apologies again.

Now when Streetwise gets reviewed in magic I am really going to have to be on the ball. ;-)

Cheers,

John.
Thanks John
What a great method, I have used it 2 times this week on stage and it's a keeper it has blown all my other bank nights out the safe. (sorry for the pun)

Keep up the good work.

Gaz
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain the correct envelopes here in the states. I tried the local Staples store and they do not have them with the correct flap.

Thanks

--Floyd
[quote]
On 2011-02-08 21:13, aceofharts wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain the correct envelopes here in the states. I tried the local Staples store and they do not have them with the correct flap.[/quote]
The closest I've come is #10 Square Flap from Envelopes.com. I bought Sunflower yellow: http://www.envelopes.com/business/regular/10-square-flap-envelopes However, John sent me this link: http://www.decadry.com/en/012191--xml-470_479-6666.html I plan to use the Envelopes.com envelopes, though, since I'm in the US. Hope that helps.
Michael,
Thank you very very much, you would think something as simple as this would be easy to find....

Floyd
I also had trouble finding them in Holland.

Eventually found some in red and also in orange.

A bit of time on the PC with "Word" and they printed out really nice.

Steve
John,

A great technique. Well worth the money!

Thanks for sharing.
Well he fooled me (too) with it!
Great routine he did on Penn and Teller. They had no clue as most anyone.
[quote]
On 2011-04-02 10:34, Decomposed wrote:
[/quote]

I saw this on "Penn and Teller." Great routine and presentation. Looking forward to reading this soon!
[quote]
On 2011-10-27 02:14, PerryCarp wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-04-02 10:34, Decomposed wrote:
[/quote]

I saw this on "Penn and Teller." Great routine and presentation. Looking forward to reading this soon!
[/quote]

Witty, funny and very entertaining. Thank you Mr Archer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfjCUeCPMM
Its Sean Taylors Banknight routine...check out His book that has been out for years.
Its called mindstorms.
Thanks. I purchased the routine from John, and it lived up to the hype (IMHO). He does clearly acknowledge Sean Taylor.
[quote]
On 2011-02-08 21:51, MichaelCGM wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-08 21:13, aceofharts wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain the correct envelopes here in the states. I tried the local Staples store and they do not have them with the correct flap.[/quote]
The closest I've come is #10 Square Flap from Envelopes.com. I bought Sunflower yellow: http://www.envelopes.com/business/regular/10-square-flap-envelopes However, John sent me this link: http://www.decadry.com/en/012191--xml-470_479-6666.html I plan to use the Envelopes.com envelopes, though, since I'm in the US. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Michael -- thanks so much. I've not been able to the 'right' kind of envelopes locally at all. The closest I was able to come were some larger greeting card envelopes. The envelopes.com links seems spot-on!

Best,
Perry
This is fun ...

What a great effect. You can pick it up quickly and it really does fool everyone.

Best,
Dave
What a performance on Penn & Teller. Hilarious and at the end of the day, mindboggling! I don't do much stage work but I am itching to get it anyway just to absorb the technique. It made me search for other effects by Mr. Archer and there are some pretty neat things out there. Bravo!

gibby
Gibby - once you've learned the concept behind it, you can adapt it to suit your environments. This can be presented in a close-up venue if you'd like. It's a brilliant piece of work.
How difficult would this be to adapt to a close-up setting practically speaking?
You'd have some slight angle issues, but in the right situation you'll rock.
I remember seeing this the first time and I was amazed ... should have taken this secret to the grave.