(Close Window)
Topic: Has any one used the Mother of all Book Test?
Does any one have any take on this.

Thank you,

TR
Jerry Newton kills at trade show with MOAB... one night he brought it to the house and stuck it in our library. The guests wanted us to do a few effects. So, Jerry grabbed a "random" book and did it... Needless to say it KILLED.

Once at a trade show he was working a friend of mine and I were in his audience watching. My friend KNEW to "work" and Jerry Gambled... He had a lady he was into the trick with and asked her to POINT TO ANYONE IN THE AUDIENCE... AND SHE POINTED RIGHT TO MY FRIEND.

Even the client who would see him do this over and over again day after day WAS COMPLETELY NAILED.
I'm sure you'll get your desired feedback, but if you don't feel like waiting for people to post, try the search feature -- because I can promise you that you'll get thousands of post regarding MOABT instantly -- it's a popular subject.
Has any one used the Mother of all Book Test?

is that a trick question ??
I never have...LUNA will be here shortly.

As someone once wisely said "why reveal just one word, when you can reveal a lifetime"?

The one word book test days are done for me.

I am sure it was good in it's time.

Aaron
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (May 1, 2010 01:49AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-01 02:44, Oyama wrote:
I never have...LUNA will be here shortly.
[/quote]

I'm using MARS.

It gives me a lot of psychic energy so that I'm ready for my show.
LOTH

Now that I believe!
Mother of all book test is out to date,old fashion, her son is better !
take my advice and buy her daughter, she's more fresh and pretty.
besides, it costs only 2 camels and 5 goats.
The key to MOAB or any other book test -- or any effect in magic or mentalism for that matter -- is PRESENTATION. When PROPERLY PRESENTED book tests, even "single word" book tests like MOAB, can be a strong as anything in one's repertoire. Presentation trumps method every time.

For those who are currently using book tests, or want to learn more about them, noted mentalist Alain Nu and I are conducting a 1/2 seminar and workshop on "The Art of the Book Test" as part of Alain's "Secret Series" at his "Bat Cave" in Silver Spring, Maryland on Saturday afternoon, May 8. A limited number of seats are still available for serious workers. Registration is $40.

PM me here or at gr8magik@aol.com for more information or to apply.
[quote]
On 2010-05-01 02:44, Oyama wrote:
As someone once wisely said "why reveal just one word, when you can reveal a lifetime"?
[/quote]

Simple answer: because sometimes you might rather reveal just one word. ;)

I started to type more about this, then realized I was basically paraphrasing something I wrote in the explanation of my "Word To Your Mother Book Test." So instead, I'll just quote myself:

-----

IN DEFENSE OF WORDS AND LETTERS

There is a school of thought in mentalism which holds that book tests should never revolve around revealing specific words and individual letters; rather, it says, the revelations should begin with the most general feelings and associations naturally evoked by the words, and then gradually focus in on the spectator’s specific thoughts from there, finally revealing the word from the context of what it [i]means[/i] rather than what it [i]says.[/i] The usual reason for this is that old standby, the notion that “that’s how mind reading would look if it were real.” And while I’m all for realism, I simply disagree that that’s necessarily how it would look if it were real. Rather, I think that’s more or less exactly how it would look if it were being faked by someone pretending to do it for real, starting with little or no information, and throwing out generalities in the hopes of stumbling upon a few hits while subtly (or not) narrowing down the possibilities based on the spectator’s reactions. That this has come to pass for “real” in the minds of many is a topic for a separate discussion.

The point is, that kind of approach evolved because it worked for certain performers in certain circumstances. If your performance style and your circumstances lend themselves to that kind of approach, then certainly it may be your most effective option. But one of the great things about mentalism is the ability to define our own characters and the parameters of what we do. Realism then grows out of congruency with those parameters. And since we have the prerogative to ask spectators to direct their thoughts in the ways that are most helpful to us, there’s no reason for individual letters and words to be incongruent if that’s what we ask them to focus on. So if your character is that of an empath who senses emotions and sensations and the like, then you should certainly approach a book test revelation from that framework, and the approach presented here would be out of character and incongruent for you. However, if you make it clear that picking up on specific letters or words is part of “how you work,” and everything else you do supports that, and you do it as cleanly as this effects allows, then no one is going to walk away grumbling, “It was a nice little magic trick when he picked up on every letter in the word ‘plate’ as I was thinking of it, but a real mind reader would have gone on to describe the bittersweet nostalgia I feel every time I look at the Princess Diana commemorative plate from the Franklin Mint that my grandmother left me...”

-----

Speaking of which, this seems like as good a place as any to mention that I'm (finally) very close to releasing the "Word To Your Mother Book Test Collection" in fully-realized, pre-printed form. The concept has been expanded considerably from the version described in [i]ParaLies,[/i] and I will boldly state that I honestly believe it offers The Best™ single-word revelation available in any book test – yes, even including MOAB. Then again, I am as biased as a person could possibly be. ;) As for the "collection" part of the title, I'll leave that deliberately ambiguous until the formal announcement, probably next week.
To each their own. I think Outlaw has raised the bar for book tests. Reading through so dark has changed the way I look at book tests and mentalism in general.

Thank you Prof BC!
Thanks to everyone for the help on this effect.

Outlaw... Where do you find that one????

Taylor
Outlaw is the website. They have many book test. I actually think they should not be called a book test. They are in a class all their own.

Reading so dark before you buy will totally inspire you and show you what I am talking about. You also can just reveal a single word...if you choose. You can also go sooo much further and reveal things that are much more complex.

The real kicker...you can reveal things BEFORE they even open the book! Once they open it, they will see what you said is true.

So many ways to play this type of "book test".

Check out LUNA reviews here on the Café.

Aaron
Joshua Quinn has covered the matter of single word vs. other revelations more effectively than any other such discussions I've read (or written). There is absolutely nothing I could add.

As re: the various booktests from Outlaw Effects (the Luna and Homicide trilogies, Witches Almanac, etc.), I have most of them and can (and have) attest that they are truly in a class by themselves; however, their unique qualities ("antiqued," tendency toward "dark" themes, etc.) make them ideal for special themed presentations, but less so for more generic demonstrations of "mindreading" and would certainly make them stand out like the proverbial "sore thumb" (and therefor likely suspect) if combined in a routine with more "tradional" book tests. That is NOT said to disparage them -- I have consistently praised them -- but to acknowledge that IMO they may not be the most appropriate for "general purpose" use.
Quinn,

Congrats on your WTYMBT finally coming to fruition! (Vanilla Ice would be proud!!)

Can't wait to see what you are offering.

Paul
I really like the sound of mother of all book tests.

I have been looking to buy one. My local dealers are either out of stock or way too expensive.

Has anyone got a second hand one that they want to swap/sell?

Please let me know.
Happy Mother's Day to the Mother Of All Book Tests!

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On 2010-05-02 08:39, Dick Christian wrote:
Joshua Quinn has covered the matter of single word vs. other revelations more effectively than any other such discussions I've read (or written). There is absolutely nothing I could add.

As re: the various booktests from Outlaw Effects (the Luna and Homicide trilogies, Witches Almanac, etc.), I have most of them and can (and have) attest that they are truly in a class by themselves; however, their unique qualities ("antiqued," tendency toward "dark" themes, etc.) make them ideal for special themed presentations, but less so for more generic demonstrations of "mindreading" and would certainly make them stand out like the proverbial "sore thumb" (and therefor likely suspect) if combined in a routine with more "tradional" book tests. That is NOT said to disparage them -- I have consistently praised them -- but to acknowledge that IMO they may not be the most appropriate for "general purpose" use.
[/quote]

I agree with Dick here. I absolutely love outlaw book tests however, for my straight mentalism set I do an oldie straight out of 13 steps with a little switchcraft thrown in. For an "un-themed" show that old book test KILLS!!! every time.
I've used the MOABT and other book tests before but I ditched em after I was introduced to the Outlaw books. The Luna series is, in my opinion, the new standard by which the others will be compared and graded to. As far as I'm concerned, if the book isn't an Outlaw book test or similar one, then it's useless. The pop I've received from the audience for Luna is far greater than the single word tests. Even their new Luna book test - in my opinion the worse of the Outlaw tests - has far more significant impact on the audiences I've played for than the MOABT.

Peace and Godspeed.
I would agree that the Outlaw tests have raised the standard. As I use Witches Almanac and Luna 1936, I don't see the need for utilizing any other.
The need depends on the presentation and rationale for performing the routine. Thus, the reason would be-not wanting the booktest to be driven by a theme. That is not meant to knock any Outlaw (or other) booktests, I am merely responding to the comment.

These types of effects fall into two categories:

1. Theme driven: where a particular book MUST be used because it pertains to the discussion at large. Such as: an macabre tale of a psychiatric hospital. Thus, particular book is congruent and germane to the discussion.

2. The appearance of "any book": This is an "information test" which is not typically driven by theme and it's strength is the ability to convey that information is received that could have been anything. This type will be subcategorized into:

A. Gimmicked books
B. Prepared, but ungimmicked books
B. Ungimmicked/unprepared books

All are valid paths, and I agree with the Dick's comment that the impact depends on performance and one's goals (one method is not necessarily better). Theme driven booktests can POTENTIALLY be self-ingratiating. Information tests CAN be boring or trivial "tricks".
IMO it is an oversimplification to declare either "themed" or "generic" book tests as inherenty either good or bad. Each has their time and place and Waters has succinctly characterized the contexts in which each type of test is appropriate. What IS important is that the performer know which is best suited to his style/persona and the context of the program in which it is to be employed.
I've performed Luna and Ipswich both ways. When used even as a single word test, it still pulls more audience pop than the others. It's look just begs for attention and even seasoned professional magicians can't find the secret.

And in my previous post where I state "Even their new Luna book test - in my opinion the worse of the Outlaw tests - has far more significant impact on the audiences I've played for than the MOABT." That should not read new Luna book test but "New Lillian book test."

Peace and Godspeed.
Thanks for the correction dreadnought.

You had me worried for a moment.
[quote]
On 2010-05-20 23:47, Oyama wrote:
You had me worried for a moment.
[/quote]

I get told that a lot :)

Peace and Godspeed.
I have every book test there is, and the MOABT is the best of the lot. see my presentation with a dictionary killer add-on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsN_BthJla8
Are you sure you have everyone Steve? Dick has over a thousand and he doesn't own them all !!!! Your presentation for MOABT is lovely!! keep an eye out for The Area Book Test that I will be releasing very soon....my best work to date :)
Very good.
[quote]
On 2010-08-05 15:01, stevelegg wrote:
I have every book test there is,
[/quote]

Wanna bet?
[quote]
On 2010-04-30 20:54, Pete Biro wrote:
Jerry Newton kills at trade show with MOAB... one night he brought it to the house and stuck it in our library. The guests wanted us to do a few effects. So, Jerry grabbed a "random" book and did it... Needless to say it KILLED.

Once at a trade show he was working a friend of mine and I were in his audience watching. My friend KNEW to "work" and Jerry Gambled... He had a lady he was into the trick with and asked her to POINT TO ANYONE IN THE AUDIENCE... AND SHE POINTED RIGHT TO MY FRIEND.

Even the client who would see him do this over and over again day after day WAS COMPLETELY NAILED.
[/quote]

That just about sums it up from the man. Please don't spend a ton of money buying the mother. Leave it alone.
I actually own every book there is. Drats; another was just published, I have to head out to the store...again.
[quote]
On 2010-08-05 17:26, Eric Samuels wrote:
I actually own every book there is. Drats; another was just published, I have to head out to the store...again.
[/quote]

Eric, I know the feeling -- and it's costing me a fortune! Meanwhile I'm praying for a worldwide shortage of ink.
I have a number of book tests (but not MOABT). The ones I use most are Ultimate Flashback by Larry Becker, Sinister by Outlaw, and Witches Almanac by Outlaw. I also use a few impromptu book tests with unprepared books.