(Close Window)
Topic: Criss Angel Magic Set.
Message: Posted by: Magic38 (May 9, 2010 12:45AM)
Hello:

I was wondering if anyone had ordered the Criss Angel magic set
and if they have what they think of the ultimte mindfreak magic set.

I ordered this magic set and was quite pleased.
I thought that Johnny Thompson did a great job helping Criss explain and teach some how to perform with some of the props in the magic set.
Although some dvds did not feature Criss teaching the tricks it was still good quality. I believe it would have been better if Criss had been teaching on a few of the dvds as it was only a magician and he never spoke and you never see his face.
other than taht the props were well made and the book was well illustrated and did a good job teaching the magic lessons to beginners.
As a magician and teacher of magic I believe this set was well put togother and you can tell that actual magicians created this set and it was not just some toy company selling plastic junk with hard to learn instructions.
I have seen many sets over the years that were cheap junk , so its nice to see someone who takes pride in a magic set they sell.
I do think however taht 69.95 is a bit steep even for a magic kit.
Its not that I do not think its a good magic set.
But I believe that it should be in the price range for every family for their children to learn magic.
So if the 29.95 magic set he sells is as good as the 69.95 version then Criss has done a great job of preserving the art of magic thru the next generation of master magicians
Message: Posted by: John C (May 9, 2010 07:56AM)
Does it come with editing and camera cutaway tips? Cause that's important in preserving the art of magic using the Criss Angel method

J
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 9, 2010 09:15AM)
Yes it does John! But of course no genuine Chris Angel wannabe would be complete without paid actors. So, for a limited time it also comes with two.. That's right, TWO of your very own paid stooges!! These stooges are perfect for the Chris Angel style of magic and will give you plenty of oooooh's and aaaahh's and never tell anyone that they were in on your effects! These stooges are yours free with your purchase of the Chris Angel magic kit. (Some restrictions apply. Buyer pays shipping, salary, and cost of room and board.) Now you can be just like Chris Angel!! Stooges and all!!
Message: Posted by: Rennie (May 9, 2010 10:28AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-09 08:56, johncesta wrote:
Does it come with editing and camera cutaway tips? Cause that's important in preserving the art of magic using the Criss Angel method

J
[/quote]
Good one, I really like this! What would Criss Angel do without "Camera Trickery"
Rennie
Message: Posted by: Rennie (May 9, 2010 10:29AM)
Voldemort,
I also agree with your comments. I guess everyone sees through Criss Angel huh?
Rennie
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 9, 2010 10:37AM)
Oh yeah... I suppose. I was just trying to make a joke out of it!! You know... Where would Angel be without TV and stooges. Probably working in a sticker factory somewhere.
Message: Posted by: ted french (May 9, 2010 11:17AM)
Umm he got his own television show without stooges. The point of a television show is to make the best show possible. If using stooges makes for a better TV show I say do it.
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 9, 2010 12:19PM)
Whoa there!!! Calm down just a little. It was a joke.

And no he didn't get his own show without using stooges. He got his own show by saying that he WOULD use stooges (And camera tricks). Same thing.

Oh and that "Better TV show" thing is debatable as well.
Message: Posted by: Dan Bernier (May 9, 2010 12:23PM)
The Masked Magician reveals magic on a t.v show that was successful enough that Fox had several of them. He reveals magic tricks to make the best show possible. So if revealing magic makes for better t.v, then that's okay too?

The point of a television show maybe to make the best show possible, but it doesn't mean it's right, or good.

Just my opinion. :)
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 9, 2010 03:01PM)
Well... You know after Angel started exposing effects on TV, (The effects that regular magicians would use in their acts not being privy to cameras and actors. Of course not the effects that he would perform or had performed). I decided that from then on, Whenever I would get asked the inevitable question "How does Chris Angel do such-and-such", That I was going to tell them exactly how he did it. Camera editing and paid actors, Which of course I couldn't be using, being as I'm right in front of them by myself. Payback's a be-otch

Now a couple of dudes get together and put a few effects in a box, (Nothing that Angel uses by the way) and slap his name on it giving Angel a percentage of the take. Good for them. Hopefully it will lead someone down the path to magic. But it still feels like name dropping to me. But of course that's always been done.
Message: Posted by: Rennie (May 9, 2010 04:26PM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-09 12:17, ted french wrote:
Umm he got his own television show without stooges. The point of a television show is to make the best show possible. If using stooges makes for a better TV show I say do it.
[/quote]
So you are saying that Criss Angel gives magic a good name by using camera tricks & stooges, Come on...And you even say "If using stooges makes for a better TV show I say do it." So you would rather watch Criss Angel than Fred Kaps?
You are totally out in left field on this one, sorry!
You did notice Criss Angels popularity is rapidly dropping?
Rennie
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 9, 2010 04:41PM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-09 17:26, Rennie wrote:

You did notice Criss Angels popularity is rapidly dropping?
Rennie
[/quote]

Yeah. That probably has a lot to do with the terrible show in Vegas. LOL

If it isn't edited, He can't pull it off.
Message: Posted by: ted french (May 9, 2010 07:42PM)
Rennie, I'm not a huge fan of Criss Angel and I am not a fan of watching a longer than 10 minute performance of any magician. I love to perform but like many magicians I am not a big fan of watching magic. Magic kinda has a bad name in the eye of the public and it was that way before Criss Angel. To answer your question about Kaps. As a magician I am going with Kaps all the way. As a layperson I would much rather watch Criss's show even with the stooges and edits. Audiences have changed a lot and even though I prefer the old school guys I have shown that stuff to laypeople and they don't really like it compared to Blaine and Angel.
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 9, 2010 07:50PM)
Sooo... The camera edited hype machine has put people off real world, classic magic? Is that what your saying Ted? Because that sounds about right to me and its one of the reasons I can't stand Angel and his green screens. People watch his crap and then expect the same out of any magician that they see.
Message: Posted by: Eddie C (May 9, 2010 10:00PM)
I have read this thread when it was just made. I was also about to comment a smart remark regarding camera editing. However, that just seemed too immature because the original poster was asking about Criss Angel's magic set. Not Criss Angel himself. Although I do agree with most people here, this isn't a place to discuss Criss Angel himself. I think it's best if the arguments regarding Criss Angel should be left out and just comment on what the original poster asked for.
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 9, 2010 10:19PM)
Yeah it kind of got off topic.

But at the same time this product has Chris Angel's name on it. Who Chris Angel is, is the reason that his name was placed on the product in the first place. So I really don't see any problem discussing just that... Who he is.
Message: Posted by: mumford (May 9, 2010 10:31PM)
Back for a second to the off-topic discussion. Several here think the point of a television show is to make the best show possible. Wrong. The point of a televison show is to sell advertising. Doesn't matter how good a show is, just how many people watch. That's why we get shows like *Jackass, Jerry Springer, TMZ, Wrestling, etc.
Message: Posted by: Miraclemakers (May 9, 2010 11:19PM)
I'll be objective, the magic kit set is one of the best on the market. the gimmick are well made, the DVD and books are good also for beginner.
It's good for beginner who wants to learn magic, this one is like a starter kit....
Message: Posted by: Failed Magician (May 10, 2010 12:41AM)
What are included in the kit?
Message: Posted by: Dan Bernier (May 10, 2010 12:44AM)
Here is a link to another thread about the same thing. It has reviews of the kit, and talks about what's in it. 5 pages to read.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=352327&forum=109

Mark Reed, a dealer bought the kit to give his honest and unbiased review of it.
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 10, 2010 09:43AM)
That's a great thread Dan and I'm glad its still here. What surprised me most reading through that thread was the number of ringers that showed up just to post about that one thing. (Saying that the kit and Angel were the greatest and above reproach of course). Those kind of people carry no weight with me and I largely disregard what they post. However the one that really got me was the dude that said that it wasn't Angel's fault that nothing was credited properly in the kit. Because they apparently couldn't figure out who had originally invented or performed any of the effects. What a line of BS huh. I can't believe that Angel did not credit anyone for those effects and instead tries to lead people into believing that they are all his. That's being a piece of scum as far as I'm concerned. Angel knows full well who invented those effects and his reason for not including that information was because he WANTS people to believe that the effects are his. What an egotistical little weasel.
Message: Posted by: Magic38 (May 10, 2010 01:27PM)
Ok I was just asking about the kit I am not concerned with
how criss angel uses stooges or any other negative comments.
I was just asking about the magic set .

I didn't mean to start a war
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 10, 2010 08:53PM)
Well hopefully you got your answer in the other thread that Dan was nice enough to post a link to.

And now.... Back to the war!!
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 10, 2010 08:54PM)
Oh... And just as an aside, Next time the search engine may serve you better.
Message: Posted by: Rennie (May 10, 2010 10:20PM)
I have to totally agree with everything that Voldemort has said about the "Holier than Though" Criss Angel.
I especially like his description of him "What an egotistical little weasel."
Rennie
P.S. You can keep the war going, it is very interesting.
Message: Posted by: rklew64 (May 10, 2010 10:36PM)
Poor Magic38, I so knew this was going to happen, the very little off on a tangent about CA.
Just sit back and enjoy the witty vapid banter or ignore it altogether since it no longer helps you.
I say buy your magic piece by piece.
Message: Posted by: Dan Bernier (May 11, 2010 12:39AM)
If you love Criss Angel, and must have anything or everything with his picture on it regardless of what it is, then buy the kit. If you want to know if there is anything actually special about the kit other than his face plastered on it, no, there isn't. It's your typical magic kit, overpriced, and overhyped. You pay for the nice box with Criss Angel's face on it, and as an added bonus it comes with the same tricks and props you find in other magic kits.
Message: Posted by: Piz (May 11, 2010 03:17AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-09 08:56, johncesta wrote:
Does it come with editing and camera cutaway tips? Cause that's important in preserving the art of magic using the Criss Angel method

J
[/quote]

THIS!

I'm in for-sure!!! :D
Message: Posted by: mindguru (May 11, 2010 05:09AM)
I personally was a big fan of Criss Angel until I found out about the stooges and heavy editing. Despite all that he knows how to get the publics attention tha's why he has his own tv series. I think the magic set is a different matter, if it's good for a beginner and well made, then there's no reason it shouldn't be purchased.
Message: Posted by: rklew64 (May 11, 2010 09:59AM)
http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2010/05/09/news/doc4be63913ed13a424618948.txt
Message: Posted by: M Sini (May 11, 2010 10:09AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-11 10:59, rklew64 wrote:
http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2010/05/09/news/doc4be63913ed13a424618948.txt
[/quote]

Interesting read. Especially the posters comments.
Message: Posted by: Dan Bernier (May 12, 2010 12:04AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-09 01:45, Magic38 wrote:
Hello:

I was wondering if anyone had ordered the Criss Angel magic set
and if they have what they think of the ultimte mindfreak magic set.

I ordered this magic set and was quite pleased.
I thought that Johnny Thompson did a great job helping Criss explain and teach some how to perform with some of the props in the magic set.
Although some dvds did not feature Criss teaching the tricks it was still good quality. I believe it would have been better if Criss had been teaching on a few of the dvds as it was only a magician and he never spoke and you never see his face.
other than taht the props were well made and the book was well illustrated and did a good job teaching the magic lessons to beginners.
As a magician and teacher of magic I believe this set was well put togother and you can tell that actual magicians created this set and it was not just some toy company selling plastic junk with hard to learn instructions.
I have seen many sets over the years that were cheap junk , so its nice to see someone who takes pride in a magic set they sell.
I do think however taht 69.95 is a bit steep even for a magic kit.
Its not that I do not think its a good magic set.
But I believe that it should be in the price range for every family for their children to learn magic.
So if the 29.95 magic set he sells is as good as the 69.95 version then Criss has done a great job of preserving the art of magic thru the next generation of master magicians
[/quote]

Here's a question. If you already bought the magic kit, why are you looking for reviews and opinions from others who might of bought it? You have it right there in your hands. If you like it, then that's all that should matter to you, right? When you ask for reviews, especially about something associated with CA, you have to expect that a can of worms is going to be opened.

Anytime someone brings up Criss Angel the reactions are always the same negative responses. Most people have no respect for what he does, and choose not to support him in any way. You can't blame them them for that. Nor should it be a surprise.
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 12, 2010 10:08AM)
I personally feel kind of sorry for anyone who does buy the thing. No history of the effects is given, No credits. Just some guy named Johnny teaching the effects, (Because of course Angel probably doesn't know how to work half of them) and in the end that's all he will be, Some guy on a DVD that taught Chris Angel's effects. I'm sort of surprised that Johnny went in for it. Especially after seeing that no credit was being given and Angel was trying to make it look like everything was his.

In the end, What is the person with no magical knowledge getting when they buy this kit? Well they are getting a few things to play with and the information that apparently Chris Angel is all the history they need. If they would have even pointed people in the right direction and given them a few references to look up or some recommendations of where to learn more or some history, I would have been at least a little approving of this thing as it may get someone started down the correct path. But I guess Angel feels that all paths should start, and end with himself.
Message: Posted by: edh (May 12, 2010 12:49PM)
Is this Johnny fellow a magician? Is he known to magicians?
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 12, 2010 02:50PM)
Johnny Thompson
Message: Posted by: edh (May 12, 2010 04:51PM)
Wow Johnny Thompson! Surely he would know the history of these effects, no?
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 12, 2010 05:15PM)
Well, that's why I was saying that I can't believe that he was involved with the thing. But perhaps he didn't see the finished product. I screwed up in my previous post. A guy named Eddie TEACHES the effects. Thompson just shows up along side Angel during the intros and such.
Message: Posted by: Dan Bernier (May 12, 2010 05:36PM)
I seen the interview with Johnny Thompson on Reelmagic, and it was apparent that he was against the over use of camera editing, stooges, and special effects, and even made a non direct references to CA. I'm surprised that Johnny Thompson still works for CA. I guess he does have a price when it comes to throwing ethics out the window for the almight dollar.
Message: Posted by: JimW (May 13, 2010 11:34AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-12 11:08, Voldemort wrote:
I personally feel kind of sorry for anyone who does buy the thing. No history of the effects is given, No credits. Just some guy named Johnny teaching the effects, (Because of course Angel probably doesn't know how to work half of them) and in the end that's all he will be, Some guy on a DVD that taught Chris Angel's effects.
[/quote]

If you are talking about Johnny Thompson then you really should educate yourself. He is MUCH more than "Some guy on a DVD that taught Chris Angel's effects".
Message: Posted by: Voldemort (May 13, 2010 12:25PM)
Wow Jimw... You should really educate YOURSELF and learn how to read.

I was speaking about how sad it is that some who buy the Cris Angel magic kit would only see Johnny from that perspective. Because no history is given and they really wouldn't know who he is.

I KNOW who Johnny Thompson is dummy. Read the WHOLE post AND the thread next time....
Message: Posted by: Corbett (May 25, 2010 09:35AM)
Does this kit come with the make-up, hair spray, and necessary piercings to make the magic work?
Message: Posted by: davidpaul$ (Dec 5, 2010 11:43PM)
I just watched a lengthy national TV infomercial on the Chris Angel Magic Kit last night. He also features Joe Monte a close-up magician demoing the cups and balls. I just think it's sad for magic. He cheapens the art to 2 easy payments of $14.99. (plus shipping and handling) Oh, and if you try and click off the site they give you an additional $5.00 off
https://tv.crissangel.com/ver1/index.asp?refcode=1002

:(
Message: Posted by: Sammy J. (Dec 6, 2010 10:54PM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-25 10:35, Corbett wrote:
Does this kit come with the make-up, hair spray, and necessary piercings to make the magic work?
[/quote]

Now THAT'S funny!
Message: Posted by: Andrew Zuber (Dec 7, 2010 07:32AM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-09 20:42, ted french wrote:
Rennie, I'm not a huge fan of Criss Angel and I am not a fan of watching a longer than 10 minute performance of any magician. I love to perform but like many magicians I am not a big fan of watching magic. Magic kinda has a bad name in the eye of the public and it was that way before Criss Angel. To answer your question about Kaps. As a magician I am going with Kaps all the way. As a layperson I would much rather watch Criss's show even with the stooges and edits. Audiences have changed a lot and even though I prefer the old school guys I have shown that stuff to laypeople and they don't really like it compared to Blaine and Angel.
[/quote]
Who are these "many magicians" you speak of that aren't big fans of watching magic?
I know "many magicians," some of the biggest names in the business, and trust me...they LOVE watching magic.
That's like being a film director and saying "I don't like watching movies." Makes zero sense to me.
Message: Posted by: rklew64 (Dec 7, 2010 01:03PM)
"...not a fan of watching a longer than 10 minute performance of any magician." WTF is that, really? Then I hope your act is less than 10 minutes.
Happy Holidays