(Close Window)
Topic: Jimmy Finger's Magellan Levitation
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (May 15, 2010 01:28AM)
Hello everyone,

I just received Jimmy fingerís Magellan Levitation and like to tell you guys what I think about it. I was looking for a levitation that I didnít need a TRUCK to haul it around but still gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that the illusion would played well. I also wanted something that could not only be performed on stage and platform but also at private parties.

I feel that this levitation is a really GREAT concept in magic and something that has made leap and bounds in self levitations. It ranks among one of the BEST NEW IDEAS that has happen in magic in a VERY LONG time. Simple in concept and deadly in performance makes this levitation simply great! IMHO

I was concerned that the cloth may look out of place and suspicious but found that people donít care about the cloth. Watching the video doesnít do this levitation justice because seeing this performed live will make a believer out of you. It just looks so darn cool.

What I also like is that your feet are pointing slightly downward. If you could really levitation, your feet would just hang there in the air just like they do with this levitation! This levitation plays well and LOOKS amazing!

Best
Ray
I've seen it in person and it looks great. If only I had that kind of money...
How hard would you say it is to do?
It's not hard at all...but it will take some time to make it seem smooth and effortless.
Yes, my biggest fear is that in some videos I have seen it looks like you are balancing yourself on something as opposed to 'levitating'.

Not sure if its just me along in that thinking?
The knockoff videos are using units without the new stabilization elements. With the cheat block, what was once strength intensive is now a breeze.

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy,

I haven't seen a knockoff video I don't think. I really like your levi but are there any other videos out there that people can check out?
Please see the videos at http://www.magellanlevitation.com

Thanks,
Jimmy
Great Jimmy. How long does it take to get one made?
I'm having a batch made up that should be ready in about a week.

JF
Hello,
I've just a short question: Can I do the Levitation at any moment in the show? On the start? In the middle or the end (without leaving the stage)? Can I continue direct with the show after the levitation or do I must takeoff the Gimmick?

The video looks great... to great to be true...
It depends on the situation. The gimmick is not worn on the body, if that is the concern. The gimmick can be on the stage all show, brought on, and/or removed from the stage, all without the need for curtains or blackout. I do it for house parties all of the time.

JF
I just saw Jimmy perform this at McBride's Wonder Ground and It looked amazing!
We purchased one from Jimmy a few months back for a special benefit event that was being held in a private home. Everyone was absolutely amazed and baffled, especially when the magician finished and picked up his cloth and walked back through the audience. The illusion made the statement the fundraiser was hoping to make with the elite audience in attendance. The young magician who performed it did so without a lot of rehearsal. I would highly recommend the purchase to anyone who is looking for something a bit different. In closing I'd like to comment on Jimmy's customer servive. It would be a difficult act for anyone to follow. He stands behind his product 100% and will work with you on any facet of your performance.

A satisfied customer,
Bill Thomas
I just got mine . . . it is a great piece of magic. It is always nice when something exceeds expectations.
Wow, thanks everyone for the glowing reports. I am so thrilled every time that I get to perform it, and I'm happy to see so many people who enjoy performing it. It's a real blast to be a part of all of the Magellan experience!

Jimmy Fingers
[quote]
On 2012-09-11 21:14, magic4545 wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone for the glowing reports. I am so thrilled every time that I get to perform it, and I'm happy to see so many people who enjoy performing it. It's a real blast to be a part of all of the Magellan experience!

Jimmy Fingers
[/quote]

One of these days, it will be mine! :)
Christopher...

I am in the same boat...big dreams, no money!
The levitation looks very good as it is now but if I may offer a suggestion for future improvement- when the reveal is done, the performer looks too rigid. If somehow some kind of spring can be added to the device to create a continuous bobbing (hovering) movement instead of a total lack of movement, the illusion of floating would be greatly enhanced. Thanks.
Alex, I do a "weak in the knees" sort at the moment of reveal, slightly bobbing up and down whilst I levitate (rather than just staying still at the top). it goes over quite well :)
Hi Alex, this is addressed in the instructional video. Quite a bit of this is possible through movement and mime. Putting any slop into the gimmick is not a safe answer, but the performer's presentation can make this seem to happen.

JF
Jimmy, are sleeves required for zombina? Any special lighting? the video seemed like it was done with minimal light...
Hi Randy, please check the Zombira thread, or, should I say, no thread...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=539150&forum=10

It can tell you more aobut the lighting... Sleeves are required for one of the moves in that YouTube video routine.

Thanks for your interest!

Jimmy
This is one of the best investments a parlour or stage magician can make.
It also holds it's resale value quite nicely if you are so inclined someday.

How did you come up with 'Magellan' for the idea?
Was your grandfather named, "Ferdinand?"

You rock Jimmy!
Hi Devious, thanks for the nice words!

It was called Magellan due to it's portability and the ability to be used almost anywhere. Not just transporting the unit, but also the ability to bring it to any empty stage for performance.

The Magellan Master levitation fits in a carry-on, and has a performance transport system that allows for being presented on a stage without a curtain, with the audience watching, and being able to clean up afterward, without a curtain, as well.

JF
Oh, one more thing...

Rap artist T.I. mentions it in his song "Like That" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNEoTC2kaA

Lyrics: "Get rich and get out the game 'fore snitches can get to telling
Magician with it Magellan, already a felon"

When someone told me about that, I cracked up!

I wonder how T.I. knew about it to include it?

When I was performing at the Grand Canyon gig, my backstage assistants didn't really pay me much attention until they found out that my stuff was in a T.I. song. Their eyes grew wide with wonder when they found out that the levitation was mentioned in this song. That's hilarious!

Jimmy
The newest, clearest, highest def video of the Magellan Master Levitation, performed in the show at the Grand Canyon.

http://youtu.be/bymICSuAtUo

Thanks, Jimmy
www.magellanlevitation.com
For those interested, the overseas knockoffs of my Magellan Master Levitation have had price raises that make my original unit an even greater value than ever! After shipping, the price of an original, authentic and current Magellan Master Levitation is almost the same as a low grade, non-computer cut copy.

Also, I'm working on offering the option of accepting BitCoin for any future transactions.

Please contact me for details and availability of service. I'm currently putting together the server, and I will accelerate the process for potential purchasers of Magellan Master Levitation, Choppo, Rope-u-tation, and my mentalism pdf's.

Thanks,

Jimmy
To set the record straight, what appears to some viewers to be a Magellan levitation in the Wizard Wars season 2 commercial is not, according to Bizzaro(Bizzaro owns a Magellan Master Levitation). Penn and Teller note in their critique that the show's floating effect is a 'suspension.' It's not a levitation like the Magellan. In other words, the TV suspension doesn't go up and down, but the Magellan does accomplish that effect. According to Bizzaro's description of the workings, the workings of their suspension is not real time, real world workable like a Magellan Master levitation. More pipe dream than usable for a working pro, from what I'm hearing about the execution of the effect. I can't say how much the team was 'inspired' by the Magellan's effect, workings and concept, but I do know that at least half of the team executing and consulting on the effect were aware of the Magellan levitation and it's intricacies. It may come down to whether one considers the use of a cloth in a vertical, witch-style floating human to be unique to the Magellan, and, thus, proprietary, or simply 'inspired' by it, or possibly not at all related. As stated before, I would not expect their effect to ever come near being commercially marketed, but I also want viewers to not mistakenly believe that this is what the Magellan Master levitation is or what it looks like. It is not, from what Bizzaro is sharing.

I've been contacted by individuals who saw the commercial and immediately thought Magellan. I have not seen the commercial yet.

Bizzaro is asking me to trust his evaluation until I see the commercial.

Jimmy Fingers
I just talked with Calen Morelli, one of the consultants on the piece, and he said that the piece was obviously done differently, but that the inspiration for it was even verbalized as 'lets do something like the Magellan'. by himself and Justin. It was nice to hear that I have at least some semblance of relevance. He was very gracious and open with me, and I really appreciated that.

Calen is brilliant, and I'm lucky to have someone of his caliber to like my work enough to be inspired by it.

Jimmy Fingers
[quote]On Jun 16, 2014, magic4545 wrote:
Oh, one more thing...

Rap artist T.I. mentions it in his song "Like That" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNEoTC2kaA

Lyrics: "Get rich and get out the game 'fore snitches can get to telling
Magician with it Magellan, already a felon"

When someone told me about that, I cracked up!

I wonder how T.I. knew about it to include it?

When I was performing at the Grand Canyon gig, my backstage assistants didn't really pay me much attention until they found out that my stuff was in a T.I. song. Their eyes grew wide with wonder when they found out that the levitation was mentioned in this song. That's hilarious!

Jimmy [/quote]

To me it sounds like "Magician with a Magellan" -- which is still cool... But he may just think that he is very skilled (like a magician) at using his Magellan GPS system (http://www.magellangps.com) when he is hustling to get rich around town. For T.I., it also doesn't hurt that Magellan rhymes with felon. But maybe..... :)
Watching the new video, high resolution but really cold audience reaction. Sorry, but I still find something lacking with this effect.
The venue is a steak house that was plagued with really bad food issues at the time, and clients reactions were not very warm. Many times there was low attendance, as well. If you want jet packs, Angels and servos, yeah, this might not be for you, sorry.
[quote]On Feb 1, 2015, magic4545 wrote:
...If you want jet packs...[/quote]

Jimmy - Please perform this while wearing a jet-pack some day. Please. And a Rocketeer helmet. That would make me unbelievably giddy.
Is there an effective wieght limit, that the device will handle? Are shoes required?
Keith Shazam
From what I gather, there is some Physical strength invovled in performing this. I have had two knee surgeries and am all heeled now. Is this something that I can still perform?
Keith Shazam
All of your questions can be answered by visiting www.magellanlevitation.com

Thanks,

Jimmy
Please note that although the Wizard Wars depiction was inspired by my Magellan Master Levitation, it doesn't come close in several ways.

First, the Magellan Master Levitation requires no alteration of stage or special furniture around it. It can be done on any floor or carpet in a house party situation without preset, blackout or pulling a curtain to cover any 'dirty work'.

Secondly, the Wizard Wars attempt was plagued by an inability to rise or descend. It's simply a suspension, the Magellan Master Levitation is, accurately named, a levitation.

Finally, the Magellan Master Levitation requires no camera cuts, favorable editing, camera choreography or presetting of any mechanisms.

The creator of the Wizard Wars version, Calen Morelli, has contacted me, and he admitted that they were inspired by the Magellan Master Levitation in many ways, but ethically chose to use other methods to attempt to achieve the effect, since they had access to certain stage alterations that the original Magellan does not require.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Still frustrated that my work on the Wizard Wars pilot that made the creation of the show possible left me off the show
Hi everyone! I have sat down with Calen, and we discussed it, and he was unaware of my disconnection with the show.

The viewers must realize that the effect that they did was NOT a levitation, but, rather, a simple suspension, without the ability to rise or lower like the Magellan Master Levitation. Also, let's just say that the Magellan does NOT require HEAVY alteration of stage and editing that would not be available to the performer in real-world situations.

In the end, did it present the Magellan concept in a positive light? I don't really think so, but Penn and Teller said that their version was real time workable. I disagree, but Penn and Teller have been really lenient on this show, unlike Fool Us.

If anyone would like to discuss the Magellan Master Levitation or the possibility of obtaining one, please feel free to call me, anytime.

Jimmy Fingers
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Mar 6, 2015 10:10PM)
You can do Jimmy's in your underwear at your backyard Bar-B-Q, using the checked tablecloth. You slowly go up and down, and pretty high.

You must, of course, rent two strong baby elephants to do this right, but hey, itís good magic.

Iíve never thought it looked very good on video, but live, it's a killer. Just killer.
Hi Walt, thank you for the nice words. I have several in stock, ready to deliver, at this time.

Thanks to everyone who has supported my creation of the Magellan Master Levitation, and all of my inventions.

Jimmy
Spellbinder comment is counter intuitive, almost always the thing looks much better on video than in real life, not the other way around. I'm going to have too look into this.
Hi Noble1, video tends to flatten out something that is enhanced by live, three dimension presence and subtleties. Live viewing is the ultimate ultra high definition. Anyone who has seen a live performance of the Magellan Master Levitation will attest to the superiority of the experience versus the virtual experience. Video gives a pretty impressive representation of the miracle that occurs live, relatively close up, and real-time.

You will rarely see a more stunning, stunned reaction to an illusion in someone's living room. Packs small enough for air travel without additional baggage fees.

I have these, ready to put into your act, now

Jimmy
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Apr 27, 2015 02:32PM)
Hi, Yep! two dimensions make something look two dimensional, three dimension viewing allows for depth perception.

To my thinking the videos (sorry Jimmy) are not great at all, in fact I think they do harm to the illusion's potential. I've seen it live, and performed it live, and it's a totally different story. Gasps. There are two at the end of my show and this one is a big intake of air from them.

I've said someday I'd try to get Jimmy a better demo, better lit, more dramatic presentation, some subtleties I and a friend added to the performance. But, as usual busy as all heck and have not done that (sorry Jimmy.)

I'm selfishly glad so few folks are doing this. It is something that needs work, like linking rings and cups and balls, to kill and too few put in that effort. Walt
Hi Walt, yes, the more time that I put into presentation, acting, motivation and expression, the better and better that the huge responses get. It's the talked about finale that gets bookings, fast! Instead of you telling the world how great your act is, the audience will be doing it for you after seeing this one.

There is one subtle design aspect of the Magellan that gives depth and wonder to the effect viewed live. And it's difficult, if not almost impossible, to detect on video, simply because of the lack of depth detected by a single lens. It's integral to the successful execution of the effect, and it's one of the most powerful aspects of creating the visual of the miracle of levitating in front of the cloth. Not next to it, in front of it. Some of this is lost on video.

Live entertainment is the last bastion of challenge for the true magician/performing artist. The Magellan Master levitation takes full advantage of the logic and mature design that create the most practical, devastating experience of human levitation that the live, working magician can share with his fans and followers.
I just bought a Magellan - used. It was on a lark, since I am more of a mentalist than anything else. It came with no instructions and Jimmy kindly helped me out of that situation EVEN THOUGH I DID NOT BUY FROM HIM. As far as a seller goes, he is just the best. I have bought a number of other items from him in the past. Now, about the Magellan itself, written by someone who used to be semi-skeptical.....

It IS that good. Engineered to the tiniest detail. Worth every cent Jimmy charges. If I knew how good it was, I would not have waited over 2 years to find a used one. I can't see why anybody would sell one of these, once they get their hands on it. I always feared I would buy one, then think ' why didn't I think of that'. Well, no danger of that. There is not some single simple concept here... instead, a lot of related elements and ideas went into this design, and it has been honed down tight over the years.

The physics, the design, and the engineering all get an A-plus. Plus, it is easy to learn from the tutorial. I see it going in a show soon...I just want to give it the practice it deserves. (Fun to practice, as well.)
Thank you, Clyde! I'm always thrilled to perform it. Most illusions are such a pain to set up, break down, and fit to situations. This one is a dream. Thanks again for the nice words, Clyde!

I have a bunch in stock, I'd love to get one into your hands if you're interested in this!

Jimmy Fingers
If you're having a hard time finding a used Magellan, and you're looking for a great price, please contact me directly, and we might be able to work something out.

Thanks,

Jimmy
So I have to give a shout out to Jimmy on his products and most of all his customer service. I have owned 2 Magellan Levitations and think it is a fantastic product. The product speaks for itself but Jimmy has gone out of his way to take care of me as a customer.
Recently closed an annual dinner with this effect. Even on a raised stage, I had dinner patrons stand up with mobiles in hand, not because it was difficult to see, but because they couldn't believe what was going on.

It's Low-tech, so there's no worry about it messing up mid performance. It also possesses a tiny footprint. I actually had the prop set up next to the drums the entire evening leading up to my set and no one paid it any attention.

Highly recommended.
Thanks for the nice words, everyone! Contact me for special pricing for the holidays

Happy holidays!
Jimmy Fingers
[quote]On Mar 6, 2015, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
You can do Jimmy's in your underwear at your backyard Bar-B-Q, using the checked tablecloth. You slowly go up and down, and pretty high.

You must, of course, rent two strong baby elephants to do this right, but hey, itís good magic.

Iíve never thought it looked very good on video, but live, it's a killer. Just killer. [/quote]

I do recommend shoes/flipflops/really thick socks though... Jimmy has put thought into this and there are some very smart additions to ensure you don't slip mid-flight!
[quote]On Dec 10, 2015, Nadzri.Harif wrote:
Recently closed an annual dinner with this effect. Even on a raised stage, I had dinner patrons stand up with mobiles in hand, not because it was difficult to see, but because they couldn't believe what was going on.

It's Low-tech, so there's no worry about it messing up mid performance. It also possesses a tiny footprint. I actually had the prop set up next to the drums the entire evening leading up to my set and no one paid it any attention.

Highly recommended. [/quote]

I am paying for mine soon! Am talking to Jimmy right now.

Your review is a great testimony, too! And I saw the picture of you midair in your IG with that Chinese theme background. Great shot, buddy!!!
[quote]On Dec 15, 2015, Zlwin Chew wrote:
[quote]On Dec 10, 2015, Nadzri.Harif wrote:

Highly recommended. [/quote]

I am paying for mine soon! Am talking to Jimmy right now.

Your review is a great testimony, too! And I saw the picture of you midair in your IG with that Chinese theme background. Great shot, buddy!!! [/quote]

Thanks a lot, buddy. Glad you liked the pic! you won't be disappointed with the prop.
The newest Magellan Master levitation, in aluminum. Featuring a new, fully self contained transport system, no magnets to be misplaced or lost. 40% lighter than the steel version, the perfect illusion finale for the working magician who travels by air!

There will still be a few of the steel units for those who would like to save some dollars and aren't bothered by the extra weight.

Direct pre-orders only, contact me for details. Not available on the website.

Thanks for your interest in the most popular self levitation ever!

Jimmy
I miscalculated... The New Magellanaire aluminum version of the popular steel Magellan Master Levitation is OVER 50% LIGHTER THAN THE ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!!!! From the original 19 pounds down to 9.2 lbs. It is testing and holding 260 pounds without issue.

Disassembles and fits into a laptop bag.

Available for pre-order. $1095.00 plus shipping. Made of tempered aluminum, engineered to make the most of EVERY pound possible.

At this time, orders are expected to take two weeks to fill, until I have an idea of demand.

This is a beauty to behold, one of the most highly machined, beautifully executed examples of modern engineering, fully utilizing the current level of technology and value together.

Please inquire here or at imagique@gmail.com

Thanks for all of your support,

Jimmy Fingers
I'm offering a buyback for previous purchasers of the original steel Magellan Master levitation system. If you return your complete unit to me, I will give you a credit to purchase one of the new aluminum Magellanaire units for only $795.00 USD... 500 dollars off of the $1295 retail price of the new unit!

This offer is good for original purchasers who are in my database of PayPal buyers.

Thanks for your interest!

Jimmy
www.jimmyfingers.com
I have just got to say, I have seen it used, and it is BEAUTIFUL!
Jimmy, you are in my top 5 all time favorites. Thanks to your Penguin lecture, I have become big fan.
Keep up the good work.
If I wasn't disabled, I'd be saving up for the Magellan myself.

And to anyone who is on the fence about it, you are already on the fence...and it's an amazing system, so just buy it.

I would if I could.
The Magellanaire Levitation, featuring modular and aluminum design, is now available.

For the discerning performer, traveling to corporate events without any additional shipping fees or freight charges.

These are being produced in small batches, and availability will vary by demand.

These have turned out to be absolutely beautiful. Water jetted precision and precise quality control, with a powder coated finish to offer a durable, dead black finish. These units spare no expense in offering the state of the art presentation of the world's most popular self levitation on the market. The new self contained transport system takes full advantage of the amazing 9 pound weight! Tempered aluminum, designed with NO heat applied to potentially brittle joined areas. This is a masterpiece of design and technology, fitting for travel within a regular briefcase or laptop bag.

If you weren't a magician, you'd display it in your museum.

Jimmy Fingers imagique@gmail.com
Jimmy, I'm not so sure you posted the right image.
I think he's showing the material and the color without showing the device as a whole.
The close up shot on the previous page doesn't really do this justice. It was to show, up-close, the quality of the piece and powdercoating without exposing the entire unit.

But the new Magellanaire is a masterpiece of art. The usability and portability of the illusion went up 10 fold. You can literally fit this into a briefcase or laptop bag for travel. Due to the new portability, Jimmy invented a new self-contained transport system to get the unit in and out of play undetected. The previous way was genius, but this new way rocks even better.

I liken it to the difference between a metal beach cruiser bicycle and a carbon-fiber aerodynamic triathlon bike...either will get you there, but the tri-bike is sooooo sweet! Well done, Jimmy!
[quote]On Sep 27, 2012, Mike Maturen wrote:
Christopher...

I am in the same boat...big dreams, no money! [/quote]

same here