(Close Window)
Topic: No wonder people are hurt by Pitbulls
I have a pit bull named Loki, he was originally named Loco but when I took him off the punks who were mistreating him I changed his name to a less offensive one. Loki is the sweetest, friendliest pit that ever lived. I know everyone says that but he is great and non aggressive to a fault, he was attacked by other pits once and got hurt because he just doesn't like to fight. Either way I realize that some people treat their pits badly and they come from aggressive parents which results in aggressive pits (or other dogs) but I wondered how pits can cause the damage to people I've read about. Now I know. I put a large overstuffed chair outside to replace with another chair. The chair I put out was on a large wood swivel base and made of serious wood and metal frame and it was heavy as heck. My sweet lil' pup dragged that chair 1/3 of an acre on my property and then tore it down to the frame in about 15 minutes! First I never realized he could move the chair but dang, it was impressive what he did. I can imagine with that type of strength and pure tennacity if he wanted to go after someone he could do some damage. Amazing dogs.
My son volunteers for the local animal shelter.

Of course, all dogs he meets have already been tested and declared ready for adoption, which might weed out some examples he never sees, but according to him the pit bulls are generally sweet and affectionate ... all they want to do, he tells me, are nibble on his ear A LOT and sit in his lap.
We've got an 80 lbs pitbull/lab mix AND a 14 month old son. They get along well together. Pitbulls are very sweet... if you have trained them well. They're a willful breed, though, and need to know they are not the alpha dog. Our dog is well aware that our son is the alpha "puppy". When he grabs her toys, she loses interest and wanders away. (This often makes him sad, because he holds out the toys to her, wanting to play tug-o-war with her like daddy does.)
My dog that is the alpha is pretty clearly in charge (a yorkie) and Loki has not shown any interest in being the alpha. He's outside now dragging the chair around.
The best trained, and one of the most well mannered, dogs I ever knew was a pit bull.
There is only ONE mean animal on earth, and, you can see it on exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo. Truly, it is an exhibit called "The Most Dangerous Animal on Earth."

And you can see this animal many other places.

Everyday.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Gee, let me guess what it might be....in fact there is likely just a mirror.
Pit bulls are nice dogs in general, but when they are bad -they are REALLY bad.

Chihuahuas, German Shepards, Afghans and several other breeds are demonstratively more unpredictable and "snappy"...

It's very unfortunate when I see this, and even more unfortunate that rotten people who want a horribly intimidating dog to scare or hurt other people most often go with this breed to to their dirty work.

It's rearing, not breeding that makes these dogs kill.

Here in the bay area I think about 5-10 people a year are killed by pit bulls, and less are killed by other dogs. Pit bulls make the headlines, though.
Yup. Were in in the city when that woman was killed by that huge dog in the apartment building? The breed was named after a Spanish island or city, but they said after the attack that the sale of that breed of dog went through the roof.

Meanest dog I ever saw was a chihuahua in San Jose. That lil' guy would go after kids and get to the end of the leash and snap back then it would go after them again. Only dog that ever bit me was a miniture dauchaund (sp).
Pit bulls are not very intelligent dogs are they?
I guess not. I just got another dog groomed from a long haired shaggy dog to a short hair no shag dog and the pit doesn't know who it is and has been pushing her around with his nose all afternoon.
http://www.todaysworld.com.au/images/pit-bull-meets-porcupine1.jpg
Oh the poor thing....my dog looks like that minus the quills.
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 21:11, tommy wrote:
Pit bulls are not very intelligent dogs are they?
[/quote]

I think they are of middling intellect- according to the kennel club Pit Bulls are not a recognized breed, but the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier]other terriers and retrievers[/url] from which Pits were originally stocked are average/above average in dog intellect.
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 20:47, MagicSanta wrote:
Yup. Were in in the city when that woman was killed by that huge dog in the apartment building? The breed was named after a Spanish island or city, but they said after the attack that the sale of that breed of dog went through the roof.

Meanest dog I ever saw was a chihuahua in San Jose. That lil' guy would go after kids and get to the end of the leash and snap back then it would go after them again. Only dog that ever bit me was a miniture dauchaund (sp).
[/quote]

I remember that. That woman who owned that pack of dogs should have been the one to be euthanized... Well, not really, but she acted in a most despicable manner, and I wish she had gotten life, but I think she only got 5-10 for involuntary manslaughter.
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 22:28, MagicSanta wrote:
Oh the poor thing....my dog looks like that minus the quills.
[/quote]Pitbulls have an absolutely incredible pain tolerance. Most dogs do, in general, but pitbulls even more so.

Our dog, being part lab, has "happy tail syndrome". She has no clue how hard her tail's wagging. When we have to kennel her, she'll often end up cutting the tip of her tail against the fences in the kennel place. Then we bring her home and her wagging tail leaves bloody streaks along the walls in the hallway at tail height. I'm glad I've got a durable brand of paint.
Yup, she actually said it was the dead womans fault for going outside during her time of the month and being a lesbian (no kidding folks, that was her argument). That was a biiiig dog she had.

My bassett hound is kind of dopey and in love with the pit. My yorkies are extremely smart and remember words and actions and respond to them. For example if I put on my dress shoes they go nuts because they know I'm leaving the house. If my wife gets her booklet out they know I'm going to the store.
I think that monster dog was a Presa Canario.
Pitbulls were specifically bred to be fighters. They are not very smart animals, and even the most gentle looking pitbull is unpredictable.

I have had dogs all my life, and have had two pitbulls. I of course did not have them for pit fighting, and they were very well treated and cared for. However, they are not considered a loyal dog even though they can show loyal qualities. They can turn on you if they want. Not too many cases of it happening, but it has happened.

The smartest and best trained breeds are the Blue Heeler and Boarder Collie. I currently have a pure bred Samoyed. She is the most gentle dog I have ever owned, and absolutely wonderful with our children.
Canario may be right, I was thinking of the Canary Islands, in fact I just looked it up and it is Canario aka Canary!

Hey Dan, Yorkies were also bred to be pit fighters, they use to fight rats. My alpha yorkie is extremely rodent aggressive and she will go after a mouse or rabbit etc like a lunatic.
Has anyone seen the Animal Planet channel tv show Pit Boss?
Monday of last week, my niece was out walking her dog. Another persons pit bull broke loose from his leash and attacked my nieces dog, nearly killing it. After a hefty vet bill, the dog is doing so-so.

Two days after that, my next door neighbors pit bull killed my cat. Again at random.

Both of these attacks were vicious.

Both of the owners (different towns, different dogs, different owners) had the same story, "The dog has never acted that way before."

As an RN of 18 years, I have treated many children and adults who had a dog that turned on them, again with the same story as stated above. Majority of these dogs were pit bulls. Cocker Spaniels rate second.

A co-worker of mine had a pit bull and another dog that she raised together. One day, again, out of the blue, the pit bull decides to make a snack out of the other dog.

I am not a pit bull hater. I just want people to be aware of their nature. Also, in Oklahoma, if you own a pit bull, your home insurance increases.
Back in the 60's, I was looking out of my bedroom window and I watched my neighbor, a German lady, walking her 'Pit' & German Shepherd. She and her husband, who was also German, had both dogs since they were puppies.
10 minutes later, I left my house, & met her husband, on my corner, (he was walking home from work) & we started talking.
I glanced over to the opposite side of the expressway, that runs adjacent to this corner, and noticed the lady, lying on her back, with the 'Pit' shaking his head, violently, back & forth, around her face & neck area & she was frantically waving, & hitting the dog. (Both dogs were unleashed)
I told the man that something must be terribly wrong.
Because of the distance, between us and where the lady was, he yelled something in German, directed to the German Shepherd, (these dogs only understood commands in German) and with that, the Shepherd grabbed the 'Pit', in his mouth, and flung the Pit off the lady.
We raced over, and thank God, she only had minor bites.
That night, they had the 'Pit' put down.

One really never knows, how a dog may act.
Believe me pits can turn and my comment was now I see why they cause so much damage when they do. Luckily, so far, my dog has shown the temperment of the boxer in him rather than the pit. My yorkie on the other hand attacked a kitten the other day.
I would back my cat to beat your Pit Bull if it turned on her. At least my cat has been in fights whereas your Pit Bull has no fight experience and so wouldn’t have clue what to do.
I will admit that my dogs have major problems with cats on the property that they are not pals with and visitors often don't make it home unfortunately should they go 'pack' on them.
:)
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 29, 2010 09:41PM)
[quote]
On 2010-05-21 19:40, Vlad_77 wrote:
There is only ONE mean animal on earth...
[/quote]

mean, like kind are subjective value judgments.

a little study of animal behavior may help those who like to use the words "natural" and "things as they should be" in discussing the world.
Might I recommend The Oxford Guide to Plain English?
[img]http://photos.oes.org/albums/userpics/10215/normal_homeg%20011.jpg[/img]

My name is Snoop and I'm a pitbull. This is me and my best friend Merlin.

[img]http://photos.oes.org/albums/userpics/10215/normal_Nature%20050.jpg[/img]
I am in advanced obedience and will soon get my CGN certificate. It will mean I won't ever have to wear a muzzle where BSL exist. BSL is Breed Specific Legislation and in places where it exist - dogs based on their looks are euthenized and those lucky enough to have owners have to wear a muzzle in public for life. This is me doing search and rescue work searching for a badly injured dog down a ravine where others couldn't go due to the terrain. It was hard work..I had to swim in deep water, climb log jambs and walk across fallen trees. Did you know that the first dog awarded a medal in the war was a Pitbull?

[img]http://photos.oes.org/albums/userpics/10215/normal_best%20pals%20076.jpg[/img]

This is "my" cat and I'm not eating him! I live with 3 other dogs, and 20 other animals who are seniors or special needs at my moms private sanctuary. I'm not senior or special needs but I'm a goodwill ambassador for my breed.

In places like England where BSL has existed for 10 years...dog bites have gone up 40%! In cities like Toronto in Canada , dog bites have gone up 20% and no Pitbulls there for 5 years since BSL. Just goes to show that it's the owners who turn to other dogs and train them to be mean. Blame them not the dog!

Lastly....I am just like my brothers but am treated with hatred and fear because of the way I look. Kinda like racial profiling...isn't it?
[img]http://photos.oes.org/albums/userpics/10215/normal_Sitting%20for%20treats%20049.jpg[/img]
It's all fun and games until someone loses a throat...
Thank you Chrystal.

And our dog Trixie thanks you too!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/EsnRedshirt/Trixie.jpg[/img]
Look how happy the Chinese Sheep Dog Merlin looks! Your pit is either small or you got one big cat there C!

Redshirt, I'm not kidding, I had that exact same couch, same color pattern and everything.
You're welcome EsnRedshirt.

Trixie is a gorgeous dog and lucky to live with you and your family. He looks so healthy and is obviously well cared for.

C
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 02:25, MagicSanta wrote:
I had that exact same couch, same color pattern and everything.
[/quote]

Until Loki ate it or did ya have to burn it after Couch Slug moved out? ;)

Chrystal,

My hats off to ya my dear, good on you and Master Snoop!

Mick
Noooo nooo Magic Santa, you're getting my dogs mixed up...Panda (the one with the eye patch) was my rescue from Hong Kong. Merlin is the hairy one. Gilligan,is my newest one but not in the photos.

I said 20 animals...that should be 30...13 are bunnies. The dogs never bother the bunnies and view them as part of the family group. The spayed/neutered bunnies live free range in two Mastiff cages..which was purchased for them and not the dogs.

The only time the cats are annoyed is when Merlin tries to round them up herd them back into the cat room.:O)

----------
Thank you Mick! Nice of you to say that!
Herding cats? There's an exercise in futility.

Trixie's a female pit/lab mix- and a rescue dog. She's 11 years old, and still acts like a puppy sometimes. She's very big for a pit at 75 lbs.

Chrystal, Snoop has a lovely coat- the blue hair pits always look so unique.
I did toss out the couch! I have the love seat and the tables that go with 'em, I have a great painting of a desert scene that looks great with the couch.

My pit was playing with the bassett and he ran his head into a pipe! He now has a notch on his skull and seems to like it.
It's not that pitbulls bite more often than any other dogs, it's that they have stronger jaws than many other breeds. The locking jaw is a myth, but they still bite hard.
Of course, so do scotties.
Critter 'gets me'...sorry dude. My point exactly, those lil guys are strong.
Last week my 80 year old neighbor was feeding her cats on her front porch when three @&*$)#ing pit bulls attacked. One grabbed a kitten and ran of, the other two attacked grabbed a large tom cat and pulled him in two. This is at least the fifth this this pack has killed cats in front of their owner. The worthless Animal Control tells callers to report pit bull attacks to the police . the equally worthless Memphis police tell callers that they only investigate attacks on people.
Your animal control sucks.

My sister fosters dogs. She had this big shaggy terrier looking dog who had a very bad habit. She thought all small dogs were puppies....her puppies. So she would walk up to smaller adult dogs and pick them up and walk with them to put on her blanket. This freaked out the little dogs but she never hurt them. Odd dog.
Our animal control does suck. And this is after the recent raid and arrest of the director by the Shelby County sheriff's office. Our police also suck. A dispatcher told one caller to just get a gun and shoot the dogs.
I used to have a Bull Mastif, they are good dogs. They don't bite, well I guess they do, but they are bred to catch poachers by knocking them down and holding them down without biting. Very heavy dogs but not aggressive if have have kids.
The family that I got my bassett (female named Sooner) was in Oklahoma and they bred mastifs. The loved big dogs and my bassett is, because of this, a monster. She is not fat but close to 75 pounds and is longer than my old male one from years ago.

(side note: I lost my yorkie today and was out looking for her. My wife found her, I had unreclined the chair and caught her in the base for two hours! )
Santa,

I once saw a Basset/Great Dane cross that you woulda loved.... Looked 100% Basset but weighed 130lbs! The sad part was due to it's size and and short basset legs it had both arthritis problems as well his "junk" literally dragged the ground! The owners took various precautions and provided extra special care and this pooch lived a very happy (albeit shortened life)!

I'm still trying to figure out the dynamics involved with that particular union/breeding!
Nice! I saw a bassett poodle mix and it looked like a poodle with short legs. Saw a pit mixed with a german shepard that it looked like a white pits head was cut off and sewn onto a shepards body, very ugly dog and not a nice one.