(Close Window)
Topic: Best rock cover song
I have a hard time thinking it could be anything than the Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower. This came to mind today as I was listening to the original, which really is a great song, too. But Jimi took it on, made it his own, and knocked it out of the yard.

Other nominees for best rock cover?
Gotta say Blinded By The Light by Mannfred Mann because it turned a lot of people on to Bruce Springsteen. Hard to beat your selection though.
Manfred Mann's cover of "Blinded By the Light"? I'm positive their lead singer had no idea what a Deuce was when he recorded it. I'm kidding- but that version's probably more famous than Bruce's original.

Gary Hoey did an awesome cover of Focus (by Hocus Pocus), but neither artist is probably famous enough to warrant a mention as "best".

Metallica did a good job on Bob Seger's "Turn the Page", but I still like the original better.

Santana's version of "Black Magic Woman" has got to be up there in the running.
Santa- jinx! You owe me a coke.
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 01:12, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Manfred Mann's cover of "Blinded By the Light"? I'm positive their lead singer had no idea what a Deuce was when he recorded it. I'm kidding- but that version's probably more famous than Bruce's original.

Gary Hoey did an awesome cover of Focus (by Hocus Pocus), but neither artist is probably famous enough to warrant a mention as "best".

Metallica did a good job on Bob Seger's "Turn the Page", but I still like the original better.

[/quote]Durr, "Hocus Pocus", by Focus.

Bands should know better than to name songs to rhyme so well with their name. I actually set one of my illusions to the Gary Hoey version.
What is tough is I don't always know if the version I like is the original...Hocus Pocus kills by the way.

A few I know are remade that I like are:

Marylyn Manson: Sweet Dreams (Manson has talent and is an artist)

Naked Eye: There is Always Something There to Remind Me

Elvis Costello: Whats So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding

The Who: Summertime Blues

Stevie Wonder: We Can Work It Out (top notch version if you can find it)
I've got to agree with lobo again. Hendrix's watchtower is the contender until someone reminds us of something that we're just overlooking.

One might ponder the fact, however, that a lot of covers of Dylan tunes are better than the original. Dylan sure knows how to write good songs.

How about a vote for the worst cover of all time: Madonna's American Pie.

And here is a cover no one should miss: http://www.aprilwinchell.com/h/mp3/Ragnar.mp3
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 01:12, EsnRedshirt wrote:

[/quote]

Lots of great covers on that Metallica album. Off the top of my head, in particular, BOC's "Astronomy," Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone," Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey in the Jar," The Misfits' "Die Die My Darling"...

Another metal band that does amazing classic rock covers is Dream Theater. Unlike Metallica, though, they do more of an eerie job of sounding like the band they're covering. Zeppelin's "The Rover," Genesis' "Turn It On Again," Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers," and a whole bunch more. Metallica does the Hendrix thing - they really make the covers their own. I like both approaches.

Heart does a great job of covering Zeppelin (Rock & Roll, and The Battle of Evermore). Also, Great White's version of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You."
It depends on the criteria. Van Halen's cover of The Kinks' You Really Got Me is way up there.
That's another great one that had slipped my mind.
The Turtles pretty much made a career out of covering Dylan.
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 03:12, MagicSanta wrote:
The Turtles pretty much made a career out of covering Dylan.
[/quote]

I can't see me covering nobody but Dylan for all my liiiiiiiiiiiiiife
VH also covered Pretty Woman

Here's one Aerosmith's Big Ten Inch Record
Joe Cocker's (Mad Dogs and Englishmen) cover of the Boxtops The Letter.
Ahhhh, Joe Cocker! With a Little Help from my friends is a great cover.
I like the old old stuff. How about "I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate" by Madelene Peiroux, or "I want to tell you about Oh po pi do" by Trombone Shorty. These two New Orleans standards are so old that I can't even find the original version, boy am I old.
I was just having this discussion with some friends a couple days ago.

I have to agree, Jimi's version of Watchtower ranks right up at the top of the list for me.

Here's some of my other favorites.

Led Zep did outstanding covers of Joan Baez's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, the old gospel/blues song In My Time of Dying, Blind Willie Johnson's Nobody's Fault But Mine, and When the Levee Breaks (not sure of the original).

Train Kept a Rollin - Aerosmith, also covered by the Yardbirds, don't know who did the original.

Love Hurts - Nazareth, orig. by The Everly Brothers

The Black Crowes did a great live cover of Lennon's Jealous Guy

Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker's version is way better than the original by Traffic, as is the live version by The Black Crowes.

Hard to Handle - The Black Crowes, Otis Redding orig.

I Thank You - ZZ Top, originally by Sam & Dave

Twist & Shout - The Beatles, also covered by the Isley Brothers, can't think who did the original.

Counting Crows did really good covers of Grateful Dead's Friend of the Devil and Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi.

Janis Joplin's covers of Me And Bobby McGee by Kris Kristofferson and Piece Of My Heart (orig. escapes me at the moment) are outstanding.

Not a huge Clapton fan, but his cover of Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door is great.

Baby, Please Don't Go by Big Joe Williams has been covered quite a bit, my favorites are by Them (Van Morrison), Amboy Dukes (Ted Nugent), Aerosmith, and AC/DC.

Two of my favorites from Chris Duarte
Covering Dylan's One More Cup of Coffee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkpEM0AMNmQ

and Junior Kimbrough's Do the Romp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr9eb9mmDRE

Here's some that aren't necessarily better than the original but they are great covers.

Superstition - Stevie Ray Vaughan, original by Stevie Wonder

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)- SRV, Hendrix orig.

Jeff Healey did a great cover of the Beatles While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Helter Skelter - Aerosmith, Beatles orig.

War Pigs - Cake, original by Black Sabbath

Baby Don't You Do It - The Who, The Band, The Black Crowes, orig. by Marvin Gaye
"Crossroads" by Cream, of the Robert Johnson original
Hendrix's Watchtower is truly great. If we allow rock covers of blues songs, then Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" is a definite contender.

And what about Jeff Buckley's exquisite cover of Cohen's "Hallelujah"?

John
Placebo did an album of covers that I really liked. Among others -

Running up that Hill - Kate Bush
Where is my Mind? - The Pixies
Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths
20th Century Boy - T.Rex
I Feel You - Depeche Mode

I always liked the Guns N Roses cover of Live and Let Die too
The lemonheads did a good job of Mrs Robinson.Not strictly rock,but they did belt it out a fair bit stronger than the original.
Ray.
Speaking of Cake, love their version of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive." Also, The Dan Band does fantastic and hilarious covers of songs just about all of which have female singers (you may know them from the wedding scene in Old School, where they perform a not-fit-for-TV version of Total Eclipse of the Heart, or The Hangover (another wedding scene) where they do Irene Cara's "Fame." I saw them live a few years ago. Highly recommended.
I prefer The Red Hot Chili Pepper's version of War Pigs.

If you want covers that sound eerily like the original, look to the first Guitar Hero game. Almost all of the music is a cover, but it's done so well, there's no way the casual listener could tell (heck, I love Kansas, and I still can't tell it's a cover band doing "Carry On Wayward Son" in the first GH game.)
I like Godhead's cover of Eleanor Rigby. But it's not Hendrix.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li580259YwU
I like Bette Midler's version of "Beast of Burden."
Pat Travers... And I know I don't have to say the song but, "BOOM BOOM, Out Go The Lights"
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 14:33, Tom Cutts wrote:
Pat Travers... And I know I don't have to say the song but, "BOOM BOOM, Out Go The Lights"
[/quote]

Ah nothing like a bit of domestic violence to get the crowd rocking ;)

Actually, I'm a big fan of Little Walter, but this lyric is a bit much:

Boom Boom Out Go the Lights
Sung by Little Walter
No kiddin'
I'm ready to fight
I've been lookin' for my baby all night
If I get her in my sight
Boom boom! out go the lights

I thought I treat my baby fair
Now she's kiddin' all in my hair
If I get her in my sight

No kiddin'
I'm ready to go
When I find her boy don't you know
If I get her in my sight

I never been so mad before
When I found out she ain't mine no more
If I get her in my sight
How about [i]Creedence Clearwater Revival[/i]'s version of [b][i]I Heard It Through The Grapevine[/i][/b]?

Or [i]Billy Idol[/i]'s rendition of [b][i]Mony Mony[/i][/b]?
I'll go with All Along the Watchtower for sure.

I think Rod Stewart's cover of Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe" was equal to the original.
Or [i]Tina Turner[/i]'s version of [b][i]Proud Mary[/i][/b]?
Rod Stewart did "what made Milwauke famous made a looser out of me", but I prefer the original Jerry Lee Lewis version.
[i]The Proclaimers[/i] had excellent covers of [b][i]King of the Road[/i][/b] and [b][i]Long Black Veil[/i][/b]; think [i]Roger Miller[/i] and [i]Johnny Cash[/i], respectively, with a Scottish burr. (No, [b][i]Long Black Veil[/i][/b] was not a [i]Johnny Cash[/i] original - it's a folk tune - but his is arguably the best-known version.)

Not "rock", you say? Ah, well.
When I saw this, only one cover comes to mind. Many can try, but none come close to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8sNoodIDk

Enjoy ;)
Josh
Only one cover comes to your mind. Now that I have heard that song it is haunting my mind too.
What does rock cover mean?
David lee Roth "Just a Gigolo"
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 19:29, cairo wrote:
[/quote]

I have to disagree. Cab Calloway defined that song. Roth simply copied Cab.

John
Maybe you are right. I think what I fell in love with was the video.
Tommy
A cover song is a song that someone else has already had a hit with.
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 19:12, tommy wrote:
[/quote]

A rock band playing a song other than their own.
Tommy
Did you think that us crazy Americans were covering rocks?
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 19:12, tommy wrote:
[/quote]

[url=http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/]rock cover[/url]
Magnus,

This is my favourite of that genre :

http://tinyurl.com/22t8eo5

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic...
Moss makes a great rock cover....
Placebo did an album of covers that I really like. IMO they did a great job on songs such as

Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths
I Feel You - Depeche Mode
Where is my Mind - The Pixies
20th Century Boy - T. Rex

I always liked the Guns N Roses cover of Live and Let Die too
[quote]Hard to Handle - The Black Crowes, Otis Redding orig. [/quote]
Horrid, horrid cover. I realise that this doesn't really could as 'rock' but the Patti Drew version is THE version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CTSaXjOzfA
I've always liked Elvis' version of this better than Neil's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y00vd5HM_08

I like Elvis' versions better than a lot of originals, actually. He was a very talented arranger.

Laurie
Here's another of my fave covers from Elvis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwplStgzp4&feature=related

along with some cool rehearsal footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgXkJAp8XaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HfV1eQa13w&feature=related
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 22:23, spatlind wrote:
Placebo did an album of covers that I really like. IMO they did a great job on songs such as

[/quote]

I asked my kids and their vote was for Running up that Hill. You must be young at heart.

John
I wouldn't call it the best rock cover song ever but Guns n Roses did enough with Knockin on Heaven's door, to get me interested in Dylan. I like both but also the Clapton version.
Here's the great man, Richard Thompson, making something out of nearly nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAS4ltt7DzI
Most awesome, thanks for posting that Nosher!
Just remembered one I like though the original is also freakin' great. That is Sweet Jane by The Cowboy Junkies.
Nosher
It truely is refreshing to know that a REAL legend like Richard Thompson has not gone unnoticed. My favorite Richard Thompson songs are "1952 Vincent Black Lightning", and "The wall of death". Richard Thompson is a legendary British folk music singer, song writer, and guitar player. He does not make the girls swoon like Elvis, and Neal did, but he is still pretty good.
[quote]
On 2010-06-17 09:41, Nosher wrote:
Here's the great man, Richard Thompson, making something out of nearly nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAS4ltt7DzI
[/quote]

That is shockingly awesome. Thanks.

John
Nosher, John, Jimeh
Thank you for letting me know that not everyone posting on this thread loves crappy music.
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 08:04, Al Angello wrote:
Nosher, John, Jimeh
Thank you for letting me know that not everyone posting on this thread loves crappy music.
[/quote]

If you didn't know that after reading the OP about Hendrix and Dylan (and the posts of those who subsequently agreed), then I have less hope for you than I thought.
Lobo
Hendrix, and Dylan are obvious pics, but Richard Thompson does not get a lot of play on the radio, so I had to give it up for those discriminating music lovers who like me enjoy his music. If there was a crappiest music thread many of the songs on this thread would make it to that list also.
It should be pointed out that Al believes only bad music is mainstream and that not widely accepted is good.
He who controls the terms of the debate controls the outcome. Good lesson for magicians framing their presentations, too.

ok, so the categories available are "People who share my taste in music" and "People who love crappy music."

On a tangent, do you guys like Raymond Carver's short stories, or are you complete idiots?
I dunno. I love anything and everything without exception that Raymond [i]Chandler[/i] wrote.

Does that count?

And I have to disagree that Thompson was making something out of nothing. Some of Britney's songs were pretty good, I think, notwithstanding her performances.

"Hit me baby one more time...."

(...Jeff sings....)
Santa
Yes it is true that my taste in music goes beyond top 40, or classic rock.

Jeff
I would be able to recognize Britney in a crowd, but I would not recognize any of her songs.
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 12:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:

On a tangent, do you guys like Raymond Carver's short stories, or are you complete idiots?
[/quote]

I have to admit I'm a Carver fan, but it may be that Carver wasn't a Carver fan. Carver's widow, Tess Gallagher, claims that Carver's editor, Gordon Lish, totally created the Carver style and stories we think of as Carver's, much to Carver's disgust. More here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/books/17carver.html?_r=2&ref=books&oref=slogin
Lobo, Landmark, and Jeff
You guys are trying to introduce culture to this thread, thank God. I was afraid that we would have to review all of the Guns and Roses hits.
Obscurity does not equate to culture or talent, sometimes it is deserved.
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 12:45, Al Angello wrote:
Lobo, Landmark, and Jeff
You guys are trying to introduce culture to this thread, thank God. I was afraid that we would have to review all of the Guns and Roses hits.
[/quote]

Although I'm not a GnR fan, Slash is a marvelous guitar player. He is one of the best of his generation.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFrcPgyRG9w]Here[/url] is Slash and Zakk Wylde playing Voodoo Chile.

John
John
First thank you for the link. I guess it's just not my cup of tea, but Slash and I do wear the same top hats. Of course mine doesn't have the fancy hat band, but Slash, me, and Bob Dylan all know that the black wool top hat drives the ladies crazy. My wife makes me wear mine to bed.
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 13:57, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
...playing Voodoo Chile.

John
[/quote]

I do Voodoo Chile on the banjo, but I suppose that wouldn't really hit the spot for most of you.

:)
Jeff
I'll give it a try, post it.
OK, but give me a week or so. I'm really busy with other stuff for the next several days.
Wow
Forget about this old thread. I think your banjo rendition of Voodoo child deserves it's own seperate thread.
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 14:28, stoneunhinged wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 13:57, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
...playing Voodoo Chile.

John
[/quote]

I do Voodoo Chile on the banjo, but I suppose that wouldn't really hit the spot for most of you.

:)
[/quote]

Aw man, this I've got to hear.
Right. Give me a week or two and I'll upload my rendition on [i]a separate thread[/i].

Till then, let's get back to whatever this thread was about.

(I've got classes all week; BUT! My wife and son are taking a mother/son trip for 10 days beginning Friday, so I'll have some time to play around with my webcam starting then.)
There was a comic who use to play heavy metal songs on a bagpipe....

Thank you all by the way. I looked up that oops I did it again by Britney, she was purty sweet when she was a young'un. They filtered the hell out of the vocals, I wonder if there is any recordings of her real singing voice?
I'm getting the picture already Jeff.
Plink Plink Plink Plonk
Plonk Plonk Plonk Plink.
As a sidenote,I've just finished working on the re-furb(Timber fixtures and fittings)at the Hard rock Café in London.My brother and myself were getting it ready for the forthcoming Hyde park concert,which the Café has a lot to do with.
I personally did the downstairs bar and the case in which Jimmys chain-mail like outfit was displayed(Facing you as you walk through the front door).Strange,but I only took pictures of Bonhams drum kit.
For yor cosideration I give you;
ELP's version of "Nut rocker" by B bumble and the stingers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0vOYwHj30
Not as good as the live version I've got on vinyl(Remember that stuff?)but the best I could find.
Ray.
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 20:13, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 19:29, cairo wrote:
[/quote]

I have to disagree. Cab Calloway defined that song. Roth simply copied Cab.

John
[/quote]

Eisengrim you are a pompous twit! Don't you know the difference between Cab Calloway and the inimitable [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwjVTv795Q&feature=related]Louis Prima[/url]?

:blush:
Minnie the Moocher!
[quote]
On 2010-06-22 22:05, MagicSanta wrote:
Minnie the Moocher!
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nTnawq6jk
People say magicians and comics have the same act for 20 years, some singers went decades with one song!
Nice work if you can get it.
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 12:11, stoneunhinged wrote:
I dunno. I love anything and everything without exception that Raymond [i]Chandler[/i] wrote.

[/quote]

Entirely different thing. I like Chandler, too, though.
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 15:45, stoneunhinged wrote:
Right. Give me a week or two and I'll upload my rendition on [i]a separate thread[/i].

Till then, let's get back to whatever this thread was about.

(I've got classes all week; BUT! My wife and son are taking a mother/son trip for 10 days beginning Friday, so I'll have some time to play around with my webcam starting then.)
[/quote]
I am waiting in anticipation!
I like both the Jeffery Gaines "In Your Eyes" and the Peter Gabriel "In Your Eyes". Jeffery promised Peter that he would never sing it if they were playing in the same city.
That is good cuz after ol Jeff fills the bar he's playing then the overflow can head out to the arena to see Peter.
Oh yes you are right. I saw Jeffrey Gaines in a small theater, and all he had was his own guitar, but he filled the room with his voice. Everybody already knows what kind of stadiums Peter Gabriel plays in. Jeffery met Peter at a festival, became friends, and they both agreed that Peter should be the only one to sing "In your eyes" that night, or at least that is the way Jeffrey Gaines tells the story.
There's always [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAWl5peI8HY]this cover of Bohemian Rhapsody[/url].

[url=http://www.strimoo.com/video/12907009/Luther-Wright-the-Wrongs-Brick-in-the-Wall-pt-2-MySpaceVideos.html]This version of The Wall[/url] isn't bad.
[quote]
On 2010-06-25 03:26, Scott Cram wrote:
There's always [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAWl5peI8HY]this cover of Bohemian Rhapsody[/url].

[/quote]
Some would love that and some would hate it. I thought it was quite good. Same with this. Be sure to listen to some of the other Metallica songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZxgACaOoAM
After watching Donnie Darko for the millionth time (it would be my favorite sci fi movie if not for Blade Runner), I realized that Gary Jules and Michael Andrews need a mention for Mad World (though another not-really-rock song).
[quote]
On 2011-03-16 02:59, LobowolfXXX wrote:
After watching Donnie Darko for the millionth time (it would be my favorite sci fi movie if not for Blade Runner), I realized that Gary Jules and Michael Andrews need a mention for Mad World (though another not-really-rock song).
[/quote]
I always thought Adam Lambert did a great version of the song on American Idol.
Thin White Rope's version of Can's "Yoo Doo Right"
Janis Joplin's versions of Kris Kristofferson's "Me & Bobby McGee" and Erma Franklin's "Piece of My Heart"
All of Bryan Ferry's "These Foolish Things" album, particularly "Sympathy For The Devil"
Hammers of Misfortune recently did a remake of 'Freebird'. The lead singer posted a blurb on her blog about how tough it was to remake the song without crossing over into being cheesy. She thinks they managed it. I agree.
I agree with the general consensus that Dylan's songs are usually improved by other artists. The one big exception I would make is Knocking on Heaven's Door. Dylan absolutely knocks that one out of the park.

John
Agree with Knocking on Heaven's Door.

There's a great cover of Rush's The Analog Kid on the tribute album The Working Man. It feature Jack Russell (Great White singer) and members of Symphony X.
I forgot about The Fugees cover of Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly."
And all the great Willie Nelson covers, especially "Georgia on My Mind."
Speaking of Dylan, an odd one is his cover of Paul Simon's The Boxer--not better, but kind of interesting.
There's a lot of good covers. Junior Wells did a cover of the song "Gimme one reason" by Tracy Chapman that was just outstanding.
Jackson 5- Lonely Teardrops
2:43 well spent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-UeyrID3pE
The Jacksons version of Mick Jackson's "Blame it on the Boogie" is worth a listen too!
[quote]
On 2011-03-16 13:13, HerbLarry wrote:
Jackson 5- Lonely Teardrops
2:43 well spent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-UeyrID3pE
[/quote]
I like Michael Jackson, but sorry, competent as this is, I don't think it touches the original.
As awesome as Otis Redding was, Aretha Franklin positively owns Respect.

John
Cream's Born Under a Bad Sign.
That is a good one Motown....
I'm too busy to check if anybody already mentioned it, but I like the new version of "Bad Company." I think it was 5 Finger Death Punch.
Most notorious cover: Beach Boys "Never Learn Not to Love", a reworking of Charles Manson's "Cease to Exist".
I love Richard Thompson's work, and his Britney cover is the official version of the song, in my house at least. Not strictly a rock song, but I remember seeing Elvis Costello live singing 'Someday I'll Fly Away' and it was incredible, I can still hear it clearly in my head, although I've never heard it as a recording. But I agree that the standard by which all others are judged is 'All Along the Watchtower'.
I know there are a few Joni Mitchell fans here. In a 2000 tribute concert, there were a few notable covers (if that counts for this discussion).

Richard Thompson covers [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54rRq2SAv0]Woodstock[/url] (apparently on a couple of hours' notice).

Cyndi Lauper covers [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RCDHBw50Q]Carey[/url] (my favourite Joni song, in case anyone cares).

kd lang covers [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt18OYGBLk4&feature=related]Help Me[/url].

Elton John covers [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKjFIaUid-4&feature=related]Free Man in Paris[/url].

All very strong covers, IMO.

John
John you reminded me of Nazareth "This Flight Tonight"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylW6sC6NNhY

Love that Elton John "Free Man in Paris", he changed nothing but made it sound like one of his own songs... if that makes any sense :D Thx :)
I told my daughter about this thread and she said;

Disturb's version of "Land of Confusion" because, unlike the Phil Collins puppets, they actually sound ANGRY!
Faith No More - Warpigs
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
April Wine - 21st Century Schizoid Man
Supersuckers - Hey Ya
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Actually, almost anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
"All Along the Watchtower." Hendrix made this one of the greatest songs ever.
Even Dylan prefers Hendrix's version, and performs it.
[quote]
On 2011-03-17 09:21, Erwin wrote:
John you reminded me of Nazareth "This Flight Tonight"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylW6sC6NNhY

Love that Elton John "Free Man in Paris", he changed nothing but made it sound like one of his own songs... if that makes any sense :D Thx :)
[/quote]

Thanks for reminding me of Nazareth's reconfiguring of "This Flight Tonight".

I know what you mean about the Elton John version: it fits him quite naturally.

John
Dug this thread up cos I just listened to The Sensational Alex Harvey Band's Delilah on the way home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9aStPoQzLw

Bliss :)
Alex Harvey was very underrated in my opinion, and while not covers of rock songs, also excellent are SAHB's 'Next' (a cover of Jacquel Brel's 'Au Suivant') and 'Gambling Bar Room Blues' (a cover of Jimmie Rodgers' original of the same name).
[quote]
On 2010-06-15 01:59, stoneunhinged wrote:
I've got to agree with lobo again. Hendrix's watchtower is the contender until someone reminds us of something that we're just overlooking.

One might ponder the fact, however, that a lot of covers of Dylan tunes are better than the original. Dylan sure knows how to write good songs.

How about a vote for the worst cover of all time: Madonna's American Pie.

And here is a cover no one should miss: http://www.aprilwinchell.com/h/mp3/Ragnar.mp3
[/quote]

Your link wants to take me to something called "registry.com" "where DIY meets FYI" or something like that.
[quote]
On 2011-03-17 12:38, Randy wrote:
Faith No More - Warpigs
[/quote]

I saw Faith No More open for Metallica...after a reasonably warm welcome, they started getting booed midway through their first song (turns out Metallica fans aren't fond of band fronted by would-be rappers. Who'd've thought?), and they pretty much got booed nonstop for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes of originals, they played War Pigs, received a thunderous ovation, and left.
I always enjoyed Segers Nutbush City Limits on the Live Bullet Album (Ike & Tina Turner)
Judas Priest: Fleetwood Mac's [i]The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged crown)[/i] Joan Baez's [i]Diamonds and Rust[/i], Chuck Berry's [i]Johnny B. Goode[/i]

Motley Crue: The Beatles' [i]Helter Skelter[/i]

Shiny Toy Gun: Blue Oyster Cult's [i]Burnin' For You [/i]
I always think of Diamonds and Rust when I think of Priest covers, but yeah, their version of Green Manalishi is really cool, too.
The Priest in Valencia in 2004 [i] Diamonds and Rust[/i]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTKg_X5IqrQ

The sheer power of the crowd seen at 3:25 is breath taking.

and vintage Priest 1985 [i] Green Manalishi[/i] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT2DktNBRfo&feature=related

Rock Steady
Another good cover of Diamonds and Rust is by Blackmore's Night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj1uUwWI4ig
Iron Maiden also does a really cool version of UFO's "Doctor Doctor." I always thought UFO was one of the most underrated rock bands out there.
That is a great video thanks! I favored it! It reminded me of a couple of years ago, I saw Loreena McKinnett in concert and she covered Diamonds and Rust absolutely beautiful.
I should say Maiden *did* a Doctor Doctor cover...I've never heard Bruce Dickenson do it, but they released it when Blaze Bayley was on vocals.
One of my favorite covers, I can't believe I forgot it! Tori Amos' piano version of Nirvana's [i]Smells Like Teen Spirit[/i] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaAI3jI7uCc&feature=related