(Close Window)
Topic: Your Best Performance on Stage
Hello to all who practice the Art of Hypnosis and frequent this website,

I have read through some interesting ideas that are posted in this forum. It is quite wonderful to witness how amazing and diverse everyones backgrounds and levels of expertise are here.

Starting out with a bang, here's my first curiosity. In your opinion: What makes an amazing show? Where did your personal best performance happen? When was it? How long was the show? How much was spontaneous vs. pre-planned? Did you realize during the show anything unique or special happening? What made the show "work"? Can you post a link to it? If yes, please do so. Thank you.

F.Y.I. Those who wish to know more about me and my hypnosis skills can visit: http://www.regalhypnosis.com
I teach Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy in Atlanta, GA and am interested in learning more about Stage Hypnosis.
There is an inherant problem with the premise. The idea behind being a pro is that the vast majority of the time you turn in that show. It may be a once in a lifetime experience for the audience, but for the pro it was Tuesday.

I have done over 250 shows a year for better than 10 years. Hopefully the vast majority of them are as described.

I am not trying to be snarky but it really should be great a large portion of the time right? It should not be an anonoly.
I have to agree with Danny.
But one show does stand out. I wasn't the hypnotist. Barry Sinclaire was. He did a three hour show, and he had two points in it that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. He did a brilliant age regression with a man being brought back to his death in the trenches during the first world war. And he did one piece where he gave an off-stage gesture, and everyone on-stage (they could not see him) jumped simultaneously.
It was funny and freaky at the same time. A great show.
Danny, I appreciate your readiness to respond to my inquiry. Please add some details to further the cause. Indeed I and others are eager to hear of your triumphs on stage.
Tony, you may add just a glorious moment if you cannot paraphrase an entire show. What type of routines have worked for you?
Zzzzzzz
[quote]
On 2010-06-18 20:52, mindpunisher wrote:
Zzzzzzz
[/quote]

It's nice to meet one of the local clowns too. Hmm...I dunno who's got the talent here, but I am not very impressed yet.
Wow. Could it be that nobody cares if they impress you or tries to?

I had a discussion with Todd Robbins a few months back. We were just talking about how the pro talks about what goes wrong, and the rest brag about triumph. Reason being is that the tendency is to talk about the unusual. Failure is unusual for the pro, and not so much for the others. It is unusual for things to go well.

But then again I guess none of us have talent.
[quote]
On 2010-06-19 00:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
Wow. Could it be that nobody cares if they impress you or tries to?

I had a discussion with Todd Robbins a few months back. We were just talking about how the pro talks about what goes wrong, and the rest brag about triumph. Reason being is that the tendency is to talk about the unusual. Failure is unusual for the pro, and not so much for the others. It is unusual for things to go well.

What a load of crap. People talk about what is pertinent to the conversation whether positive or not. Some of you on here really come across as pretentious fools. MP is particularly rude.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2010-06-19 00:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
Wow. Could it be that nobody cares if they impress you or tries to? PERHAPS.

I had a discussion with Todd Robbins a few months back. DON'T KNOW ABOUT HIM YET. THIS IS MY FIRST POSTING HERE. WHO IS HE?

We were just talking about how the pro talks about what goes wrong, and the rest brag about triumph.
I GUESS I FOUND THE RIGHT KEY WORD "TRIUMPH", OR YOU LIKE TO USE MINE.

Reason being is that the tendency is to talk about the unusual.
THAT WHICH IS UNIQUE, ODD OR DIFFERENT TENDS TO HAVE NORE EFFECT THAN THAT WHICH IS USUAL OR COMMONPLACE. A NUGGET OF WISDOM SHARED. THANK YOU FOR THAT.

Failure is unusual for the pro, and not so much for the others.
THAT'S A GOOD THING. AFTER GAINING EXPERIENCE, IT'S WISE TO USE IT.

It is unusual for things to go well.
NOW THAT MIND SET CAN BE IMPROVED UPON, IMO.

PERHAPS YOUR OPINION IS A LIMITED POV. LET'S SEE WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2010-06-19 02:31, Zerububle wrote:

What a load of crap. People talk about what is pertinent to the conversation whether positive or not. Some of you on here really come across as pretentious fools. MP is particularly rude.
[/quote]

THANKS FOR A SECOND OPINION. WHETHER OR NOT IT IS, MATTERS LITTLE TO ME. EVERYONE HERE IS ENTITLED TO HIS OPINIONS. I PERSONALLY AM LOOKING FOR DATA, FACTS, IDEAS AND OTHER HELPFUL INFO. YOUR STORY IS JUST AS VALID AS ANYONE ELSES. SAY MORE ABOUT THAT. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ON YOUR JOURNEY?
[quote]
On 2010-06-19 08:27, Doc Regal wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

THANKS FOR A SECOND OPINION. WHETHER OR NOT IT IS, MATTERS LITTLE TO ME. EVERYONE HERE IS ENTITLED TO HIS OPINIONS. I PERSONALLY AM LOOKING FOR DATA, FACTS, IDEAS AND OTHER HELPFUL INFO. YOUR STORY IS JUST AS VALID AS ANYONE ELSES. SAY MORE ABOUT THAT. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ON YOUR JOURNEY?
[/quote]

No problem you can have access to me for a fee I'll give you all you want. Only a clown would expect all the above for free right? I don't know about talent but its easy to see who the dorks are .....Zeruble is particularly dorkish....

Dorky dorky dorky person! Man he is so dorky...
[quote]
On 2010-06-19 08:27, Doc Regal wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is your computer stuck on caps for some reason?
Doc

Its that kind of attitude and grilling that stops anyone wanting to answer.

There is plenty of info on here for free already if you take the time to search you will have enough to last you for months. Much of it was gained by years studying and performing and in many cases it cost some of us a lot of money hard work trial and error to gain. And it is shared freely on here.

Perhaps you want to go on a paid course with someone. You certainly need to show some respect for those that share on here. Instead of expecting anyone to give you answers to what comes over very arrogant posts on here.
The caps were used to separate the text, no other reason. You guys are getting so emotional over nothing. Don't sweat the small stuff. I am not looking for tips. I am just curious to know about your personal best performances and would like to see a link to view them. If impressed enough with an entertainer's work and training is offered, perhaps then lessons are in order. Who's got the shameless audacity to post first and demonstrate some talent?
All the bickering aside, it WOULD be nice to see some "Best Of" moments from you guys...

Aww.. Come on..

Share some laughs will ya?

:online:
Yikes, I guess I can start this off since everyone else is so shy. I have no video content, but got a few laughs from a few B of A employees who I entertained a couple of years ago in a classic bar room setting. Did not have a routine in mind, just spontaneously created a few bonding moments with two male subjects and a few women in the group. The highlights I remember included getting the guys all riled up and them having the women intervene, like family members with an attitude. That went over well, but I never followed up to do a show. Didn't have any training for stage hypnosis until last year when I did an introductory workshop with NGH trainers Tom and Jerry. Got hold of an Ormond McGill training video presentation shortly afterwards, yet I am still in search of more ideas here. One day soon I plan to get a show together. I am looking for some inspiration and others to learn from.
Nobody is being emotional, just resisting giving free routines and information to a newbie.
So in reality your not an experienced stage hypnotist, but rather someone with interest just getting into the waters who is asking for others with who do have more experience to tell you their own professional information that they have taken months and years to hone, tweak, and rework to it's best form, and share it with you any other newbie just for the asking?

I suggest to get the information and education you seek, you go out and attend as many live performances as you can. I have now seen over 80 live hypnosis shows of performers of all levels. This will help you see AND UNDERSTAND what you are asking for. This is the only true way to obtain this information.

I wouldn't expect to come on here, take the board by storm as a newbie and ask for, and expect seasoned performers to give up such information. This is happening more and more lately and is causing many pros to remain very quiet and ultimately not sharing or participating in their normal capacity to provide some great info...all in time (search Eshla's posts and you'll see exactly what I mean).
It does provide an answer to the queation you raised in another thread mindpro.
Hence my point!
So there is fear of being emulated? Don't any of the members already have their best work posted online somewhere already? I don't quite get this forum. If it's not for sharing, why is it active? I have posted a lot of free info on line. Go to http://www.hypnothoughts.com and read away to your heart's content. The posters here are not impressing me at all. Just because I have not posted a lot here indicates little.
I have to say the rough spots do stick out the most. Lately, as in the past 5+ years, our show is bullet proof. No one moment really sticks out except the worst moments. As Danny said, they are few but boy do they stick out. That one guy. Boy what a mess he was. Or that loud mouthed woman that rattled on like my ex wife. Or that one crowd that must have all been on some kind of pain meds but they all stayed, watched and even gave a standing ovation. They were like a morgue what are they doing standing up? Must be drugs.

Not that I'm being stingy about anything but it is a pretty green question. Not a bad one. Just one that wouldn't come up at a cocktail party full of entertainers. Talking shop mostly consists of complaints about travel or weird crowds. I appreciate you trying to see the goodness and great moments. Really, I do. I have worked with some cool celebs but I don't drop names. I have done a few high profile 40,000 audience shows but most pros have. I'm sorry if I come off cynical.

Not long ago a production dancer come up to me right before my show and asked if I ever got nervous before going on stage. I laughed and replied "not since I was a kid." He told me he always does. I do air squats and skip around back stage just before the show to get my heart pumping and ready to go out. Other wise I would enter the stage feeling the same way I do right now. Ready for bed.

Regards,
Ted
Doc, there is a big difference between stage or performance hypnosis and hypnotherapy as far as their prospective communities. Hypnotherapy communities often bond, share and seem to take pride in their methods, accomplishments, and techniques by offering them to most who ask. They attend guild or conference meetings dying to share their methods, info and discoveries.

When it comes to performance hypnosis it is a much more guarded community and situation. It's performance - this contains material created or adapted by the artist in an attempt to be unique, different, and artistically separated from other hypnotic performers. Like a comedian with their stories or jokes, a composer with their melodies or chord progressions, or an artist with their unique works, it is this individualism that sets each apart. It is a continual and ongoing effort to be unique and creative when it comes to performance routines and material, trying to create new fresh bits and routines that are unique to you, or at least putting your own adaptation or spins on longtime standards. It is quite common (more so than most other forms of entertainment) for other stage hypnotists to steal your material. In the comedy world there is an understanding that is usually in place not to do this and to respect the artistic creations of other comics, if you don't you are quickly labeled a "hack" and your shots for success are greatly minimized. It's not like this for the hypnotic entertainer. It is a regular and ongoing occurance for others to not only take your own creations, but literally steal you entire act. No, I do not want to share my hardworked, timetested, worked and reworked over hundreds of performances material with anyone, especially a beginner with no respect for my efforts or the material that will take this material, perform it poorly while going out and undercutting my own performance fee.

Sorry if this seems harsh but this is the true reality, welcome to the big leagues. I have a full time staffer who one of their responsibilities is to check Youtube each day to make sure no performance footage of any of my shows becomes available. I have filed lawsuits, and gone to great extremes to prevent my footage from being made available publicly. I have spent countless hours coming up with the material that is in my performances and will not let newbies or anyone with access to current technology have access to this. The only way to see it is to be a paid customer to one of my performances, which is also difficult because most of the work I do is not geared to public performances. While many may post their clips online, do not assume that all do, especially their best material, as this is an incorrect assumption. Many pros only offer clips to prospective customers, and then only after being truly qualified.

I have performed thousands of shows professionally, I was trained by several of the all-time greats including Ormond McGill himself. This has been a long dedicated career of writing and performing material best suited for my specific markets, clients and audiences. I can not express the time, effort and expense that it has taken to accomplish this. It is the culmination of all my hard work and efforts. The bits, routines and ideas that shine the brightest are the most successful and the ones we are usually most proud of. These are the things we are most protective of, which is why many professionals may not be very forthcoming here. Just look at the vultures waiting for some of the goods.

Please understand I say this only to offer a real explanation and understanding of this perspective from some experienced stage hypnosis performers. Some will be more forthcoming, some package and sell this information (although I suspect still keep their best stuff for themselves), some do not mind offer some info or tidbits once they get to know you and your motives and objectives (not just you, but anyone asking these types of questions, which is often a newcomer). Stage hypnosis is very special, unique and appealing to those who may have never seen it before or have just discovered it. The natural reactions is to google this or search online for that and try to grab as much as they can without concern or respect for the industry, the working pros, or their hard work and efforts.

As you said you don't quite get this forum yet. Once you understand the workings and perspectives and how they perhaps may differ from the hypnotherapy perspectives you are used to, I am sure you will find more people and information forthcoming. Also be aware that too much hypnotherapy info and perspectives is often a put-off here as this is more of a performance-based forum.

Best of luck!
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 20:11, Doc Regal wrote:
So there is fear of being emulated? Don't any of the members already have their best work posted online somewhere already? I don't quite get this forum. If it's not for sharing, why is it active? I have posted a lot of free info on line. Go to http://www.hypnothoughts.com and read away to your heart's content. The posters here are not impressing me at all. Just because I have not posted a lot here indicates little.
[/quote]

Who said we were here to impress YOU again? Sorry to break it to you but it is not a main goal of my life. Posting here a lot indicates nothing. The content of the posts you have chosen to make does indicate a lot.

This is not some strange virtual measuring contest. You want to goad people into giving you what you want, then call names when they won't be manipulated by your childish ham handed attempts at this game you choose to play. If you are not impressed I simply suggest not stopping by any more. If we have not impressed you by now, my feeling is that this will not change in the near future.
Regal, I think the best analogy is this: What you are asking is the same as asking a magician how his trick is performed.

I, too, am new here, but, not new to hypnosis. I would never dream of asking people on here for their most famous or most amazing skits or how to get yourself out of a particular mess. I have gotten good advice from guys like Ant, MP and Danny about how to come up with my own or take a common skit that almost everyone uses and put my own personal touch on it.

I have went back many pages and read older posts that involved these guys as well as many other great members that I will not name. Lots of great insight there. And I appreciate those things they are willing to share.

I personally would recommend just sitting back, play it cool and enjoy the ride. I don't have the stage experience these guys have, and I am assuming you may not either. To bump heads with these vast resources of information is very negative and undermining to your learning something new.

As a final note, to give an example. I just performed 2 stage shows with a combined attendance of 463 people for a private lodge. I kept 12 guests the first night and 10 the second night. MP stated in another thread, something along the lines of " the guests on stage are what makes a show ". He was right. I did the two shows with identical skits and jokes. Some skits, the guests responded the same, but, there were other skits where some people reacted differently. Neither night was any better or worse, but, some skits worked better with people from the first night than the second and vice-versa. -Shane
Shane the real skill comes from milking skits and taking them as far as they can go. Learning how to give suggestions that get maximum response.

Its the responses that make a show. The more amplified animated and rediculous the funnier the show.

It also requires courage and to some degree talent to know when to shut up and create a void that will be filled by whatever comes up.
Absolutely. I play a game with myself at the beginning of the induction. Often times I can tell who my superstar(s) are going to be within the first few seconds to minutes. Sometimes, I get the one person I would have never suspected..... just like tthis guy:

Saturday, I had someone doing some great stuff in a run of the mill skit. This gave me some ideas and allowed me to push it with him. You could't have wrote the material for what he was doing.... it was that far out into left field. The end result was that skit lasted an extra 5 minutes or so and the gag was taken to a whole new level off this one guy.
Here is a tip for you that most hypnotists never learn. The show is not about you. It is about the friends and family of the audience as MP has suggested. So when you are doing the show get out from in front of them, keep your mouth shut and let them go.

Too many hypnotists are enthralled with the sound of their own voice that they spoil the action by standing in front of it telling stupid jokes.
Wow, Mindpro...

That was a really good explanation of the situation.

Thanks, learnt a lot.

:online:
Thanks for sharing your points of view. I am entering into new territory and am obviously receiving a different type of feedback than I originally anticipated. The cynical nature of stage hypnosis is indeed an eye opener.
You still don't get it do you? Are you really that stupid? Maybe stage hypnosis isn't for you.
Did you anticipate everyne to welcome you with open arms, tell you all their knowlege that took 20 years to accumulate, let you treat them like children and be happy for the chance?
By the third post you had insulted someone, and deceided that you were not impressed by the posters here. Yet still you expected information even after that.

You asked a question that obviously shows a lack of knowlege both of performance in general and hypnosis spacifically. I really am not sure what it is you were expecting. Nobody is cynical, I for one simply think that you went about it totally the wrong way is all.

In a give and take, you have to be able to give something. You showed up with no intention other than taking. That is bad form.
I am overwhelmed by your generosity and wealth of displayed wisdom. Perhaps one day this posting will make more sense to all who reread this thread. Good riddance for now. Cheers!
[quote]
On 2010-06-21 08:38, Dannydoyle wrote:
Here is a tip for you that most hypnotists never learn. The show is not about you. It is about the friends and family of the audience as MP has suggested. So when you are doing the show get out from in front of them, keep your mouth shut and let them go.

Too many hypnotists are enthralled with the sound of their own voice that they spoil the action by standing in front of it telling stupid jokes.
[/quote]

Best advice you can be given. My wife hates and criticizes my show. Her problem is that she is classically trained for stage/plays ( read: these people are trained to be the center of attention during their performance ). She thinks that since it is my name on the show, and I am the one on stage "controlling" the action I am the center of attention. While she has given me some invaluable pointers, she hasn't grasped that these people have friends and family in the audience that see THEM as the stars..... and they are 100% correct.-Shane
>>>>she hasn't grasped that these people have friends and family in the audience that see THEM as the stars..... and they are 100% correct.-Shane <<<

I would say all of the audience not just friends and family.

I don't understand those hypnotists who say hypnosis doesn't exist when ordinary people respond in incredible ways which couldn't be faked by a professional actor.
I think the same thing. If hypnosis does not exist, I must get a HUGE percentage of improv actors at my shows.
LOL...if hypnosis did not exist then what would explain the hundreds of thousands of success stories using it therapeutically?
Doc, you make a great point!

Regards,
Mike
This has become a very interesting thread, although I'm just joining it now after a few days away from this place.

I agree with Danny implicitly that for me, as a professional, there is very little in the way of an 'outstanding show'... because its my job to turn EVERY show into an outstanding show for the audience. But for me, it was just another Friday night show.

However, in request to Doc Regal's post on Page 1, I'm willing to be the first to throw myself to the lions and present some footage from a recent show. And I'll accept any criticism that may come hurling.

I'll preface this by saying that I've performed my show for over 6 years now in 7 countries and hypnotized thousands of people and this IS my full time income.

1. This is the 60-second trailer/montage from my DVD:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1gbZt0-x74

2. Here's a short clip from a recent University show in Wales, UK: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0513mGWea8

3. Here are three clips taken from a show I performed on Friday night in Scotland:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INS6OqCw6zs
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqPKKAbMJg
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gL5oPRT-_E

And the results? Well, people do things like this:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpvsC4tEhCU

Of course I should also point out that I GENERALLY play my branding as the most outrageous hypnotist who doesn't give a sh*t what occurs, will make anyone do anything and just doesn't care.

Whether you agree with that or not is up to you.. but it works for me, keeps me gigging, pays my bills and allows me to live a lifestyle that most people can't.. all by the age of 23 (It's my 23rd birthday in 2 weeks).

Enjoy..
R.
You appear to be enthusiastically entertaining your audience, Robert. Well done! Thanks for stepping forward with your work. Your confidence is clearly visible, considering the explicit nature of some of the material you choose to present on stage. Do you find that outlandish props are important to use as an entertainer? Have you always had them in your performances? What inspired you to do shows like this?
Todd Robbins? Isn't he that left wing liberal that is divorcing Susan Sarandon??
Doc, many thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Personally, I think props are great but its the performer who brings the use of them to life.

Props or no props, a terrible performer will always be terrible and a good performer will always be good.
You have great stage energy and presence Robert. Plus you Euros have a cool accent. :P -Shane
Thanks Shane.. I'll take credit for the first part but the second half I can take no credit for, LOL!
Yes.

[quote]
On 2010-06-23 16:52, Rotten wrote:
Todd Robbins? Isn't he that left wing liberal that is divorcing Susan Sarandon??
[/quote]
Wonderful to have your participation in this thread, Todd. Your high ranking status must have at least one amazing story you can share. Please honor us with that. Thanks for your encouragements!
[quote]
On 2010-06-27 22:35, Doc Regal wrote:
Wonderful to have your participation in this thread, Todd. Your high ranking status must have at least one amazing story you can share. Please honor us with that. Thanks for your encouragements!
[/quote]

Yeah, Todd, tell us about being married to a Hollywood star and how it helped or hindered your career...and how you got Susan to call you "Tim." ;-)
I took a moment to examine Doc Regal's website. I find that he's an NGH Certified Trainer with his own school. He sells his training for $6450 per student and yet he comes to this forum and expects to be handed information because he asked. You have to admire that kind of nerve.

MindPunisher wrote an excellent and highly informative post that was one of the best Ive read on the Magic Caf. Mr. Regal, You should go back and read it again and if you dont understand what he said, read it again until you get it.
Let me correct that. The post was by MindPro not MindPunisher. I got my "Minds" mixed up. It's been a long day. ;-)
I am sorry for dragging Todd into this. It was simply the conversation we had is all.
Mindpro's perspective is indeed at one extreme. I am at the other. As a teacher, I reveal what others conceal. That is what trainers do. We teach the art of hypnosis. I instruct my students: what is hypnosis, what it is not and what are its benefits. Master level training is for hypnotherapists who learn how it works and at the elite level, why it does. I have studied metaphysical arts and sciences for over 40 years, so my skill set is a tad beyond novice. In addition, I do appreciate what others feel comfortable sharing. I am not twisting anyones arm. Perhaps my words are bending the egos of a few who post here though. Realize, however, that pride of ownership is not being "mindful" in my book.
[quote]
On 2010-06-28 11:10, Doc Regal wrote:
Mindpro's perspective is indeed at one extreme. I am at the other. As a teacher, I reveal what others conceal. That is what trainers do. We teach the art of hypnosis. I instruct my students: what is hypnosis, what it is not and what are its benefits. Master level training is for hypnotherapists who learn how it works and at the elite level, why it does. I have studied metaphysical arts and sciences for over 40 years, so my skill set is a tad beyond novice. In addition, I do appreciate what others feel comfortable sharing. I am not twisting anyones arm. Perhaps my words are bending the egos of a few who post here though. Realize, however, that pride of ownership is not being "mindful" in my book.
[/quote]

While you sound noble as a "teacher" you "reveal" for a price.

Here you're asking people to reveal for free, to give you the results of decades of experience for nothing...because you feel entitled and use manipulative language which is easily recognized for what it is.

You obviously see your knowledge as having high value. Were I to walk into your office and ask you for your insights into what makes you a better therapist you would almost certainly want to charge me for that knowledge because it gives you a competitive edge over your competition. You're doing much the same here only with something you value less because you want it handed to you as you don't seem willing to invest the time, energy, and money that others have to become educated in their business.
While you sound noble as a "teacher" you "reveal" for a price.
-----------------
I charge for my time to share my expertise.
-----------------
Here you're asking people to reveal for free, to give you the results of decades of experience for nothing...because you feel entitled and use manipulative language which is easily recognized for what it is.
----------------
Share a part of your success, not your life story. i.e. a sample to entice, inspire, lead and perhaps redirect.
----------------
You obviously see your knowledge as having high value. Were I to walk into your office and ask you for your insights into what makes you a better therapist you would almost certainly want to charge me for that knowledge because it gives you a competitive edge over your competition. You're doing much the same here only with something you value less because you want it handed to you as you don't seem willing to invest the time, energy, and money that others have to become educated in their business.
----------------
Samples are given in all industries. Usually, they are the real McCoy, not second best, in order to make the sale. I and others are willing to pay for training. You have something worth sharing, then give us a demo of it, David. But, please stop blathering.
Yea this has been fun. My guess is that he is used to manipulating people and thought we would fall for it. Then tried to goad is into it as if we were children on the playground, now tries to act superior as some sort of guru or whatever. It is a laughable pattern. Yes he reveals for a price plain and simple.
Danny, what is fun for you is somewhat disturbing. You have to have an abundance of talent to be a successful performer. One show is hardly asking for much. I am shocked that you dally rather than post. As you can see only one member here in this forum was able to oblige and satisfy my request without grumping or complaining. He is a pro in my book. Fear is obviously a concern of yours and a few others. Maybe someone else will follow up with another meaningful contribution. Thanks for trying to be the leader. I just cannot follow your approach though.
So someone is a pro " in your book" so long as they give you (Doc) free material? Which book is that? Wizard of Oz?

You come across as distinctly creepy.

If you want to see endless clips do a search on youtube. You can stay up all night with a pen and pad and get ideas for free. There are also many links to clips posted on this forum already.
" Mind Punisher" this is a voluntary request. If you have nothing more to offer of substance or value to this thread then it is best to not be obstinate and display obeisant behavior for this craft instead of ignorance.
Sounds like our Doc also has an agenda as I referred to in another post. I was only trying to provide you with a better understanding of perspectives. Excuse me for not understanding you "elite level". It's a shame you are not accepting some of the advice and information offered from such pros as David and Danny. It's seems to be a more common occurrence here lately at the Caf of someone asking questions or advice and then not liking or being accceptive of the info or answers offered.
He also can't seem to figure out that what we are or are not in "his book" means quite little.

Odd how a huge percentage of his posts are on this thread asking for free things, while offering zip in return.
I believe he must be from the Jonanthan Royle camp.
Perhaps those who have nothing further to add with any substance can stop posing as losers and step aside for a few days. Those who choose pestilent and obnoxious behavior as their modus operandi are tiresome and immature. Get a life already and find another thread to lean on. You have already stated your issues and concerns. Get a grip and realize that it's your responsibility to heal them. Whining about your failures in life will get you nowhere fast.
That should bring a FLOOD of people to your cause LOL.
Nothing like a newbie with 19 posts coming on here and A.) asking for free information (the best stuff), B.) not appreciating or willing to accept the great advice that's been given to him FREE, and C.) has the audacity call (those trying to help him) regular and longtime members "losers with obnoxious behavior", and with his "elite" status thinks he can determine who adds "any substance" to this forum, and then thinks he can tell them to "step aside for a few days".

Remember it was YOU that came storming in here exclaiming "I PERSONALLY AM LOOKING FOR DATA, FACTS, IDEAS AND OTHER HELPFUL INFO", from "Your Best Performance."

Real class act, maybe you should take your own advice and if "the posters here are not impressing me at all" maybe it's you that should step aside.
I figured it out!! Mindpunisher is acting like Doc Regal to get all our secrets!! MP you crazy nut!! All you had to do was just ask.-Shane
Yes..."obeisant"...take that. I'm sure you've wounded Mindpunisher to the quick with that rapier-like response.

What a hoot.

Doc, you still don't understand that you're not playing with needy people on this thread. The guys here are all long-time working pros who know their stuff. Your transparent and rather childish attempts at manipulation simply won't work.

Since you're not getting what you want you go from "demanding" and "entitled" to "arrogant" and "petulant" in one short step. I guess that 40 years of study you're so proud of hasn't taught you basic human decency, common courtesy, respect for others, and how to "play nice."
Understanding need not be something beyond simple comprehension of text.

obeisance |ōˈbāsəns; ōˈbē-|
noun
deferential respect : they paid obeisance to the prince. See note at honor.
a gesture expressing deferential respect, such as a bow or curtsy : she made a deep obeisance.
DERIVATIVES
obeisant |ōˈbāsənt |adjective
ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [obedience] ): from Old French obeissance, from obeissant obeying, present participle of obeir.

If other words are not self-evident, then I suggest referring to a dictionary.
[quote]
On 2010-06-28 23:27, Doc Regal wrote:
Understanding need not be something beyond simple comprehension of text.

obeisance |ˈbsəns; ˈb-|
noun
deferential respect : they paid obeisance to the prince. See note at honor.
a gesture expressing deferential respect, such as a bow or curtsy : she made a deep obeisance.
DERIVATIVES
obeisant |ˈbsənt |adjective
ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [obedience] ): from Old French obeissance, from obeissant obeying, present participle of obeir.

If other words are not self-evident, then I suggest referring to a dictionary.
[/quote]

If that is what you think you deserve then you should look up ""Noblesse oblige."
Or "North end of a South bound horse".
David, since you appear to be one of the more intelligent of this lot, I urge you to review this thread "in its entirety" and let "us" know how these "conclusions" got inferred. If any dissenters can be accurately identified, then explain your reasoning why if not how. From my POV this feedback so far is almost as driveling as IM posting, yet I am eager to give you a shot.
Yawn!

You know how to really contribute and bring something of value to a forum Doc eh?
Seriously I don't think entertainment is your thing. I think you should stick to simple stop smoking programmes and weight loss groups. And keep away from complex problems since you might have to communicate with your clients.

I think you would be wasting your time and money pursueing stage work. Last thing the industry needs is another incompetent performer with no personality.

On the other hand have you ever thought about swallowing razor blades? That might work.
[quote]
On 2010-06-29 09:55, Doc Regal wrote:
David, since you appear to be one of the more intelligent of this lot, I urge you to review this thread "in its entirety" and let "us" know how these "conclusions" got inferred. If any dissenters can be accurately identified, then explain your reasoning why if not how. From my POV this feedback so far is almost as driveling as IM posting, yet I am eager to give you a shot.
[/quote]

Well, smart enough to see that you manage to come across as pandering and condescending simultaneously.
Thanks again for this mystical enlightenment. It's good to know that many who regularly post here in actuality show no merit. Then again I may be surprised, because there may be other contributors who want to demonstrate their ability to influence.
Well you certainly have little ability to influence for sure. I don't think any merit coming from you would have any credibility. "mystical enlightenment?" you can't even see when someone is being straight to the point. Perhaps you should leave now while your behind and lurk for a while. You might find something useful or of value.

But somehow I doubt whether you would recognise it. However there is lots of valuable stuff here if you take the time to search for it.

No I don't know what your expectations were before coming here but they obviously don't match reality. So take the feedback and alter your attitude. And you might get some value from here. Sorry about the lack of mystical enlightment. But sometimes reality is more useful.
I am moderately pleased so far with the nuggets of wisdom shared in obtuse ways, MP, and eager to experience a bit more that is practical and applicable to stage work. Calming down is a natural and effortless skill that is taught in most hypno 101 course training, so that is expected to take effect soon. In the meantime, I look forward to offering a few more lessons before this fraternal "hazing" subsides.
I am quite confident that it won't be long before the good "doctor" has a high ticket stage hypnosis course or seminar claiming to be an "Elite" Stage Hypnosis Master Guru, which of course will be a compilation of rehashed material and any pieces of info he can obtain here and from other such sources. All of his activity and supposed interest here is simply "research" for his upcoming project or venture. We have seen it done dozens of times before and can easily spot these guys a mile away. And of course the works will include his misperceived views of his adventures here and gross mis-generalizations about the entire stage hypnosis community. Mark my words...stay tuned.
Since I am new here as well and act more reasonable, can you guys tell ME all the secrets? No?!?! Guess I will just to make it up as I go along. "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, just baffle them with BS". <---- Quoted by the great Shanezini Mastersonia...the greatest hypnotist in the world....or within a 2 foot circle of wherever his butt is physically located.-Shane
I've been dragged into (and out of) worse places.

[quote]
On 2010-06-28 08:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am sorry for dragging Todd into this. It was simply the conversation we had is all.
[/quote]
I do have people ask me if I am related to Tim Robbins. I tell them "no" and follow it up with this line, "But I get that a lot. As a matter of fact, Susan Sarandon once said to me, 'You remind me of Tim' and I just told her to roll over and go back to sleep." Even when I tell people I am no relation to Tim, some will not believe it. Some time ago I was working on a TV show in Vegas and when I checked into the hotel they had somehow gotten a note into the reservation that I was Tim's brother. When asked about this I told them that I was no relation. The desk clerk just smiled a knowing smile, said "I understand" and then comped everthing for the week I was there. It's good to have a famous brother, even if you don't

[quote]
On 2010-06-27 22:49, David Alexander wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-06-27 22:35, Doc Regal wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, Todd, tell us about being married to a Hollywood star and how it helped or hindered your career...and how you got Susan to call you "Tim." ;-)
[/quote]
Though I don't do a hyp act (but who knows what I might be doing down the road) I can speak a bit about performance. The problem with performing is its inherent ephemeral nature. Once you do it, it's gone. When I was working the sideshow in Coney Island we sometimes do fifteen shows a day. If one show went poorly, you learned not let it get to you because there was another show coming up in a few minutes. And if you had a great show, you learned not to fall in love with that experience because there was another show coming up in a few minutes.

This kind of mindset if vital whether you do several shows a year or several hundred. All you can do is learn from every performance you do (videoing as many of your shows as possible is great. And the ability to objectively analyze yourself on video is an important skill.)

A good performance can be the result of many factors, and some of them will be factors over which you have no control. The same can be said for a bad performance. So I guess the best thing to focus on is not whether a performance is good or bad, but what can learned from each performance so that you can consistently improve the quality of your performances.
Well I for one am happy I dragged him in.
[quote]
On 2010-07-01 00:43, Todd Robbins wrote:
Though I don't do a hyp act (but who knows what I might be doing down the road) I can speak a bit about performance. The problem with performing is its inherent ephemeral nature. Once you do it, it's gone. When I was working the sideshow in Coney Island we sometimes do fifteen shows a day. If one show went poorly, you learned not let it get to you because there was another show coming up in a few minutes. And if you had a great show, you learned not to fall in love with that experience because there was another show coming up in a few minutes.

This kind of mindset if vital whether you do several shows a year or several hundred. All you can do is learn from every performance you do (videoing as many of your shows as possible is great. And the ability to objectively analyze yourself on video is an important skill.)

A good performance can be the result of many factors, and some of them will be factors over which you have no control. The same can be said for a bad performance. So I guess the best thing to focus on is not whether a performance is good or bad, but what can learned from each performance so that you can consistently improve the quality of your performances.
[/quote]

Great insight and wisdom in Todd's post.

In the late 60s I was doing night clubs in Canada. In one multi-month booking I was required to do three shows on Saturday night/early Sunday morning. The first two shows would usually go well but the third was uniformly a disaster and a waste of time as far as audience reaction was concerned.

Of course the question arose: was it me...or them? Well, after several weeks of the same experience I decided it was them...and there was nothing that I or any of the other performers could do about it.
Perhaps that "waste of time" was an overload that simply lead to fatigue, exhaustion or burnout. Energy depletion seems likely having to be "on" for three-in-a-row performances. If not, it may have been the monotonous and repetitious nature of your hypnotic routine. How often were you able to vary the show? Did the sequences follow the same order every time? Spontaneity is challenging when flow is preordained.
Spoken like someone who has never set foot on a stage.
Sounds like ( and I am only going by the limited info in the post)that the time of the performance could have been a factor. If the dud shows were always on the Sunday Morning.

I only say that because there seemed to be a pattern. Although I agree generally you can do the best show of your life one night and the worst the next. You have no way of knowing what an audience will be like sometimes.

Over here though I could after a while predict from city to city how a show would go down most of the times. The further up north the harder the show. And my mentor always told me to avoid senior military. Of course I ignored hos advice and found out the hard way. Boy was he right.
There are such things as bad audiences. I would imagine that the audience for this very late show on a Saturday night was VERY different than the early shows.

[quote]
On 2010-07-01 14:05, Doc Regal wrote:
Perhaps that "waste of time" was an overload that simply lead to fatigue, exhaustion or burnout. Energy depletion seems likely having to be "on" for three-in-a-row performances. If not, it may have been the monotonous and repetitious nature of your hypnotic routine. How often were you able to vary the show? Did the sequences follow the same order every time? Spontaneity is challenging when flow is preordained.
[/quote]
More drunk probably..