(Close Window)
Topic: Universal metaphors?
In conversing with a member here from Australia, I used the expression "having all the bases covered" which derives from baseball. He'd heard in in Australia - and the idea conveyed is clear even if you're unfamiliar with baseball - but I was wondering if there were a similar metaphor that doesn't involve baseball. Soccer, rugby, Aussie rules, and Gaelic football don't seem to lend themselves to the idea, but maybe cricket, perhaps?

This then led me to wonder about other sports metaphors that may differ from country to country as the national sports differ. Any examples?
Hurling!

There are expressions I have heard all around the world but I can't put them here, let's just say it is an expression used in sales.
Back to square one

Apparently it harkens back to the days before tv, when people listened to football (yes, the one in which you use your feet) on the radio. The pitch was divided into quadrants to identify where the action was taking place. When the ball was played back to the keeper, it was played "back to square one".

Or at least that's what I've heard
What ever you do... do not say good-bye to a Phillipino of limited English with the suggestion, "Don't take any wooden nickles!" The expression means watch what you are doing and don't be a sucker, but try explaining that. It took a very long time to explain.
[quote]
On 2010-06-27 22:37, spatlind wrote:
Back to square one

Apparently it harkens back to the days before tv, when people listened to football (yes, the one in which you use your feet) on the radio. The pitch was divided into quadrants to identify where the action was taking place. When the ball was played back to the keeper, it was played "back to square one".

[/quote]
Apparently, that's one of the three most common explanations.

[url]http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/back%20to%20square%20one.html[/url]
In Gaelic football and Hurling, there is a saying heard at every pep talk in every schoolboy game, "take your points and the goals will come". It's used as a metaphor in other circumstances, usually jokingly, that if you pay attention to the small things, the greater rewards will come.
"Keep your stick on the ice" is good advice in hockey. Somehow, Red Green makes it sound like good advice in life.
[quote]
On 2010-06-27 22:57, balducci wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-06-27 22:37, spatlind wrote:
Back to square one

[/quote]
Apparently, that's one of the three most common explanations.

[url]http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/back%20to%20square%20one.html[/url]
[/quote]

Cool! That was interesting! As I typed, I knew the idea that the pitch was divided into 8 quadrants, but always heard that the phrase was invoked when the ball was played back to the keeper, which could then be either square 1 or 2!
[i]Keep your eye on the ball.

Keep your ear to the ground.

Keep your shoulder to the wheel.

Keep your nose to the grindstone.[/i]

Now try to drive in that position.
[quote]On 2010-06-27 23:02, spatlind wrote:
. . . the pitch was divided into 8 quadrants . . . .[/quote]
Eight [i]quadrants[/i]? Not eight [b][i]octants[/i][/b]?
Indeed
Cricket : pull up stumps - time to go
a bit of a googly - something a bit tricky
sticky wicket - difficult position
bats for the other team - gay/lesbian
through to the keeper - not understood, similar to "over their heads"
plays with a straight bait - honest/traditional

Australian Rules Football has a lot of idioms, but not a lot that have 'escaped' into everyday life.

god - Garry Ablett
shirtfront - very bad/rough news or treatment
kick to kick - messing about, doing something inconsequential
tiggy touchwood - pedantic, soft
[quote]
On 2010-06-27 23:09, S2000magician wrote:
[/quote]

Somebody had to say it, and I figured you'd be in before I got to the "Post your comment" section.

John
[quote]
On 2010-06-27 23:09, S2000magician wrote:
[/quote]

I know you'll appreciate this one...I heard a sports talk radio interview about mixed martial arts, and the dramatic rise in popularity of the sport. The interviewee was a guy who had been there since Day One, and when he was asked to put it into perspective, he said, "It's done a 360 and taken off in a whole different direction."

I almost had to pull over and stop the car for a while.
Jason Kidd said something similar:

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
I'm still waiting for a sports commentator to use radians.
I thought I'd seen so much American television I knew every phrase but I was stumped one day when watching my favourite sport - professional wrestling - a women's tag team match in fact - a commentator started talking about the cute little puppies and how he loved their soft wet noses - I couldn't see a single dog in the place - not even of the Junkyard variety.

Speaking of which - where is ODB now she isn't on TNT? - I can't be bothered watching it without her.
[quote]On 2010-06-28 09:55, LobowolfXXX wrote:
. . . I heard a sports talk radio interview about mixed martial arts, and the dramatic rise in popularity of the sport. The interviewee was a guy who had been there since Day One, and when he was asked to put it into perspective, he said, "It's done a 360 and taken off in a whole different direction."[/quote]

[quote]On 2010-06-28 10:03, Living Illusions wrote:
Jason Kidd said something similar:

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."[/quote]
In a bizarre coincidence, something simlar happened when my wife and I were getting haircuts last Saturday.

Whilst I was getting my haircut, my wife was talking to the stylist about pets; another woman approached and inserted herself into the conversation. She mentioned that she'd wanted to get a dog, but that her husband was dead set against it. Later, however, he "turned around 360 degrees" and now loves the dog they own.

When my wife and I got into the car we both burst out laughing.
According to me (a former independent wrestling referee)...

Cute little puppies is something I have heard only Jerry Lawler say, and he is referring to a woman's breasts. Somehow it was decided that he should portray a lecherous sex fiend on TV, which in fact he is not in real life.

ODB is currently roving the indie circuit looking for work. There was talk of her going to japan or elsewhere in the orient. I do not know if that happened, but like you, I do appreciate her work. I still won't tell my young daughter what ODB stands for though.

Speaking of pro-wrestling... the idiom "Jobber" originated there as far as I know. A jobber is one who is paid to give other people glory by "doing the job"
If you aint cheating, you aint trying

dance with what brung ya'
When I hear the word jobber I think of pitchmen or sales. The guys who buy from the supplier is a jobber.

In wrestling (and I don't know what 'doing the job' means) a jobber is an insult and is someone who is working without a contract and tend to lose all the time (can't have a jobber lose to a name guy). The term 'jabroni' is a play on the word jobber and calling someone that is like saying they are a nobody. This may be the same thing you are saying.

I still go with a jobber being a middleman.
Of course from 43-man squamish we owe the wisdom

“Mi Tio es infermo, pero la carretera es verde!”.

John
Geeez, now that is an obscure reference and in my sick mind I remember it....
[quote]On 2010-06-28 23:56, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Of course from 43-man squamish we owe the wisdom

“Mi Tio es infermo, pero la carretera es verde!”.[/quote]
Does that apply to two-man squamish as well?

(Things change when the object is to lose.)
He threw him a curve. Meaning-Not the straight info.
"go for the gold."

Pretty universal, no?
At least those are sports related unlike some posted here....
[quote]
On 2010-06-29 00:02, MagicSanta wrote:
Geeez, now that is an obscure reference and in my sick mind I remember it....
[/quote]

I'd have bet on it. ;)
[quote]
On 2010-06-28 23:52, MagicSanta wrote:
When I hear the word jobber I think of pitchmen or sales. The guys who buy from the supplier is a jobber.

In wrestling (and I don't know what 'doing the job' means) a jobber is an insult and is someone who is working without a contract and tend to lose all the time (can't have a jobber lose to a name guy). The term 'jabroni' is a play on the word jobber and calling someone that is like saying they are a nobody. This may be the same thing you are saying.

I still go with a jobber being a middleman.
[/quote]

The "Rock"'s favorite word was Jabroni. He was the only reason I watched wwf five years ago, he was funny
"Throw in the towel"!

43 Man Squamish is one of the funniest things I ever read.