(Close Window)
Topic: Tony Corinda has Left the Building ...
I am very sad to report the passing of Tony Corinda, a Life Member of the PEA, and a giant of mentalism, on July 1st in Norfolk, England
RIP Tony
That is, indeed, a very sad announcement. However Tony Corinda will always live on as one of the pillars of mentalism. And so now he has made the passage from mortal to legend. Few deserve to be a legend more than he.
A giant has passed. May he rest in peace.

Bob Cassidy
This is sad news!

It's been a good run, Tony. Thanks for everything.
Thanks to give us a start in our journey....

RIP Mr. Corinda
RIP
Sad news indeed ... rest in peace.

Oscar
:( x
Forever a legend. He left a giant mark on this planet while he was here.

Very sad news to hear.

Greg
I tip my hat off to his massive footstep in our art.

Regretfully,

Edward Cutting
RIP...Mr.Corinda
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Jul 2, 2010 10:06PM)
His thinking and influence will forever be in my act... Rest in peace Tony, thanks for everything.
Absolutely remarkable. RIP.
Terribly sad news.. :( Thanks for your wisdom, Tony Corinda.
What a loss.

I've been re-reading Thirteen Steps lately and thought about how I would feel when he passed.

Now I know.
I recently discovered the bible that is 13 steps and have encouraged many of my performer friends to do so. He will be missed. I will be forever in his debt with all the knowledge he has given me.

S. Patrick
Tony leaves behind for us all "13 Steps" and shoes that can NOT be filled. I am deeply sorry to hear of his passing and my family and I will say a prayer for him and those he left behind. His teachings are priceless and like most here I too learned so much from Mr. Corinda.

Good magic to all,

Eric
RIP TC...
Tony also created the act that Romark toured the US performing. What I recall of it remains unpublished.

Tony left a fine and long-lasting legacy. His work will endure.
Terribly sad news.. Thanks for your wisdom, Corinda. Rest in peace.
R.i.p,
his influence has been untold, I think it will continue to be.
What a shame, Rest up Tony and thanks for everything...you will be sorely missed
A sad day indeed. I had always hoped to meet him before he passed.

R.I.P. Sir...

JLJ
Thank you for all you gave us Tony. We are all grateful, and your name will live forever.
R.I.P Tony, you're legacy will outlive any man here.

Tom
xx
I hope you're having a nice cup of tea with Fogel right now...thank you for giving so much, for caring so much, and for showing us how far we can go with thirteen steps...
R.I.P. Tony.
RIP Tony :(
A loss to all mentalists.
Peace and Godspeed.
Sad news indeed. He remains a giant of our art and tho' he is gone his legacy lives on.
Am I the only person who thinks some sort of a rememberance service should be organised? If the Magic Circle are putting a small gold plate (or something effectively similar) to commemorate Corinda, I'd happily chip in.

Anyone else think this is a good idea? I think giants of our art should have memorials to them.
RIP
Probably as many people here, I've started to learn mentalism with "13 steps", so Corinda name is automatically linked to the word "Mentalism" for me.

Goodbye Mr Corinda, thank you very much for everything you've done for us. Hope you'll have the opportunity to produce some nice routines where you are now.

Best regards,

A fan.
Goodbye Corinda. You will always be loved and remembered.
We've lost another pioneer!
So many of us owe him so much.
Wow, very sad news. He set the bar, and will never be forgotten among professionals and hobbyists alike. Goodbye and good journeys, sir...
RIP Mr. Corinda and thank you very much for everything... :(
RIP Tony Corinda

Your work in 13 steps remain to influence generation after generation.

Thank you for everything, without 13 steps I would not have the passion that I have now again Thank You!

best regards

Dan
Rest in Peace Tony Corinda.

The legend is gone, and we should all be thankful for his contribution to this art.

Thank you.
RIP Tony.

You will always be in our minds...
Farewell Tony...
Happy Trails Snr. Corinda.
You'll always be a boon companion.
Rest In Peace Mr. Corinda.

Thank you for everything.
For some reason I feel we should keep this thread up near the top until July 14th, 13 days after his death, as a tribute to the author of the steps we all know and love. :(
Horrible news.

R.I.P. Mr. Corinda
Very sad day..
rip
Really sad news...
rest in peace Tony
Sad news indeed.

Thanks for everything you've given the world of mentalism, Tony.
He took the 14th step.

JerryB
His body may not be amongst us, but his steps left a very important imprint in our art.

TONY: RESQVI IN PACE, AMICE
Yes, this is a sad day indeed for our art. Over the years, I corresponded with Tony via email and letters and his responses were always entertaining. While consulting on the Uri Geller shows over the last three years, one thing I always brought with me was his 13`Steps - what else did I need? I will miss his advice, humor and stories. He was the greatest.
Spirit of Tony,

I hate that you are gone.

Remember that dinner you and I had in Monte Carlo in '83?

That was one of the best moments of my life.

In your climb towards death I just want you to know that your legacy lives on. A great mentalist has taken your works and made some great DVD's out of it.

RIP

Z
Rest In Peace Mr Corinda......

Thank you for everything....
Kim had mentioned that Mr. Corinda's passing is a great loss to mentalism. Indeed it is. I would add that Mr. Corinda's falling asleep in the Lord is also a great loss to magic as well.

In my Greek Orthodox faith we say "May his memory be eternal."

Thank you Mr. Corinda for broadening the horizons of this magician.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Mr. Corinda,

Today, I had another great show at the Disney resort. I wouldn't have my career if it wasn't for you.

Thank you and Godspeed, Mr. C.

Mick Ayres
Amen to all the above accolades.

He was the only dealer whom I always looked forward to meeting whenever he came to the Ipswich Magic Society or I visited in his London venues.

Mike – owner of 13 well-worn Steps.
Really sad news !

A legend has passed, it's a great loss for mentalism.

Thank you Tony for your fantastic work.

RIP
That's sad news.

His '13 steps' is a great book, filled with beautiful ideas and written in a good tongue in cheek style.
Tony Corinda laid the foundation stone that so many mentalists built their lives upon. A great loss to the mentalist community but an eternal contribution to the art.

RIP Tony.

Derek
Tony's service is being held at 3.15 P.M. on Thursday, 15 July, at Mintlyn Crematorium, Lynn Road, Bawsey, King's Lynn, Norfolk PE32 1HB.

The Funeral Director is - Thornalley Funeral Services, 51 - 55 St James St, King's Lynn, PE30 5BZ. Telephone 01553 771399. Flowers are welcome at the funeral or donations can be made to 'Guide Dogs for the Blind' charity.

There will shortly be an announcement in the [url=http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/]Lynn News[/url].
13 Steps must be the most well known book on mentalism of all time.
It is very sad news indeed. It might be me showing my age but I remember as a kid when the Magic bug bit going into Dick Chavel's Magic shop in Tottenham Court Road, London when Corinda was working there, then later he took it over. I remember buying from him the individual steps as they were published from him.

It use to be great living in London at the time, visiting all the magic shops all in one day. Corinda was less than five minutes walk from Davenports. I also use to go up to Harry Stanleys in Brewer Street, Ken Brooks Magic Place, Wardour Street, Oscar Oswald in Great Pultney street, then a trek up to Ron MacMillions in Leather Lane.

Those were the days, what memories!!!

May Corinda's dear soul rest in peace.
Thanks for everything, Tony!
R.I.P. & thank you!

Mike
I'm going to update his wikipedia page. If any one has any more facts or respectful things to put on his page let me know, p.m. me links to articles about his life please.
I also need to know if there is a royalty free image of him that I can post as well.
RIP Tony..
R.I.P
Really sad news.
Rest In Peace Mr. Corinda.
A great loss
Rest in peace Tony.
I heard from someone that would know that Tony Corinda used to read the magic Café right up to his last days. When everyone was talking about him he was actually reading what was said, rolling his eyes, and sending messages to his friends saying "look what rubbish they are saying about me now!"

He is probably reading what I am saying now from another place. Rest in Peace, Tony.
R.I.P.
May God bless you as you have blessed us, Tony.
What sad news to have learned of Tony Corinda's recent passing.

The first mentalism book recommenced to me by my mentor was the "13 Steps" book. Mr. Corinda was a visionary and a living legend. His memory and his contribution to mentalism will long endure.

To quote Vlad77 (Cafe member): "May his memory be eternal".
It may be disrespectful for me to say so but I get a feeling that Tony is reading this from wherever he is and scoffing in a cynical manner at the sentiments expressed. I knew him reasonably well. He couldn't stand magicians except for a few old friends. He kept well away from the magic community and abhored visitors. If you phoned the great man and asked for a meeting you would be turned down. Many a prominent mentalist has been given the brush off by Tony.

I am amused to report that a famous mentalist turned up at his door to pay homage. He knocked and knocked on the door and rang the bell several times. Then he gave up and left. He had no idea that Corinda was looking out the window at him and waiting for him to go away.

He was actually not a recluse at all. He was in fact very sociable. But not to magicians or mentalists. I can just see him smirking at all the comments here.

Rest in peace, Tony. I am glad this thread is giving you a good laugh.
The world is now a much smaller place. A job well done Tony. Would that we could all leave such a big mark in this world. R.I.P.
[quote]
On 2010-08-20 06:25, edud wrote:
It may be disrespectful for me to say so but I get a feeling that Tony is reading this from wherever he is and scoffing in a cynical manner at the sentiments expressed. I knew him reasonably well. He couldn't stand magicians except for a few old friends. He kept well away from the magic community and abhored visitors. If you phoned the great man and asked for a meeting you would be turned down. Many a prominent mentalist has been given the brush off by Tony.

I am amused to report that a famous mentalist turned up at his door to pay homage. He knocked and knocked on the door and rang the bell several times. Then he gave up and left. He had no idea that Corinda was looking out the window at him and waiting for him to go away.

He was actually not a recluse at all. He was in fact very sociable. But not to magicians or mentalists. I can just see him smirking at all the comments here.

Rest in peace, Tony. I am glad this thread is giving you a good laugh.
[/quote]

Edud,

"It may be disrespectful for me to say so but..."

"I am amused to report that..."

"I can just see him smirking at all the comments here."

"Rest in peace, Tony. I am glad this thread is giving you a good laugh."

Your instinct and inclination was correct Your comments were disrespectful and did nothing to honor or enhance the memory of Mr. Corinda. And, quite frankly, it did nothing to enhance your reputation in the magic or mentalism community.

That said, your post accomplished three things for certain:

One, it placed your disparaging comments [i]about Mr. Corinda's alleged conduct[/i] out on a public forum and in the most inappropriate place possible--namely, in a thread by magicians and mentalist [i]who are attempting to honor and eulogize[/i] Mr. Corinda, and,

Two, it allowed you to anonymously make your snarky comments with absolutely no substantiation of the allegations--thereby preventing the readers from being able to properly evaluate such comments in the context of who you are and the proper weight to give such comments, and,

Three, you were able to raise your Café posts total up to 56. I cannot wait to read post number 57.

Mike
As it was said in the movie Gladiator...that I will see you again one day...but, not yet.

-Scott M
EDUD wrote: "He couldn't stand magicians except for a few old friends. He kept well away from the magic community and abhored visitors. If you phoned the great man and asked for a meeting you would be turned down. Many a prominent mentalist has been given the brush off by Tony."

If that was indeed true about the man, then thank God he thought well enough of us to write and publish "13 Steps"!!

Rest in peace, Tony. You have earned eternal respect and gratitude.
RIP Tony.

Like many,I've had 13 steps for years, and as I could never workk out when it was written I often wondered what had become of Mr Corinda.

Now I know,I wish I didn't.

Thanks for everything.
I think there are lots of rumors in this thread.

RIP Mr Corinda
As a sunny sunday afternoon time passing, I'm reading the book test section in 13 steps (again). 'A lesson in mentalism' made me smile and laugh, and it made me feel thankful that mr. Corinda wrote this all down for others to read it.
If you watch Richard Osterlind (mentalist) interview on the Tube, he mentions Tony contacted him after the 13 Steps DVDs were released congratulating him on the project. I think that dispels all the rumors about how he disliked magicians and such.