(Close Window)
Topic: Strange Coin Gimmick
I have recently aquired a strange coin gimmick,...a copper ring about 1 inch in diamiter,1/4 inch thick with a quarter,a nickle and a dime soldered to it evenly spaced.Anyone know anything about this gimmick?
Weird. I'm having a hard time even visualizing this item. Food for thought, thanks for sharing.
Might it fit on your finger, and when you have your hand palm up it would display one of the three coins?
That's what I was thinking also J.T.,I'm hoping someone knows more about this item,Manufacterer,inventer and so on.It's quite interesting on concept.
Yea I have seen one! Its A one handed triple change! You show it in your hand (With the ring around your 2 th. finger!) And hold the coin like you where geting ready to back palm it! as you close and open your hsnd your thumb rotates the gaff around to the next coin! And you get a one handed coin change! You then do it agen to get to change to a 3th. coin! the only hard part is how do you get out of it! :( I would just have a biger coin Finger plamed it the outher hand. then do a fake take with the hand holding the big coin! As you close the hand with the gaff in it! then you can topit, or do a pocket drop diching the gaff. then show that the coin has changed into a big coin! Ok so I am not sure where it comes from! :(
Leave it to David to, not only know what it is, but also how to practically use it as well...
I think this is a Collector's Workshop piece.

Robert
I saw one for sale from a dealer 6 month ago but now can't find it -- so it is not an 'old' item. Wish I had ordered one at the time.
Thanks gaddy, and Robert yea I think your right! :)
I also have one of these and David is right it is a one handed triple change. I sometimes use a silk and gently cover the coins between each change. Although with a quick up and down motion of the hand and forearm you can make the change undetected.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
Hey Thanks Guys,a Wealth of knowledge as usual!!!(I had purchased an item on ebay and the seller threw it in as a freebe,no information as to what it was.)At first I thought he might have made it himself.
[quote]
On 2010-07-04 10:51, funsway wrote:
I saw one for sale from a dealer 6 month ago but now can't find it -- so it is not an 'old' item. Wish I had ordered one at the time.
[/quote]

I was given one of these over 30 years ago...so it's not exactly a "new" item either.

Mike
Yea It Was A Long---- time ago that I saw it! I had To reach way back in the Memory banks to get it! :)
Found one

http://www.ronjo.com/magic/MIRACLECOINRING.html
Thanks funsway,
The ones I recall from Tannen's were flesh painted. It's not a new item - perhaps contemporary with China Cash which used a ring type gaff in a different way. Laurie Ireland item?
Hi,
Roy Kueppers also makes one.
It's called Shazam. In Canadian currency.
Found it at http://www.browsersden.com

Dave-Thanks for the routining tips.
The Canadian Loonie, which is on Shazam, is attracted to magnets.
That's how I ditch it.

Jim
Sorry- I didn't know that Shazam, above, was out of stock at Browsers.
And to tell you the truth- I don't really know who makes it for them.
That was just an "edumacated" guess.

Jim.
It might be amusing to have it made up with an ornate looking ring, like the ones that display a small gold coin. Point it out at the start of your show, and as the show goes on, the coin changes. Maybe one face of the ring could be empty, one could be a dime (the old "Dime-and-ring" gag) and then the last something else.
Pretty interesting looking device. Seems like one would have to show this thing pretty fast or to a person with some pretty thick glasses. :D Probably good that there's better ways to skin a cat nowadays but still it's a nice piece of magic nostalgia. :)
The first one I saw had the coins attached to a larger ring, like a harness ring rather than flat. The transformation took place under an up and downmovement of the hand, palm facong the spectator. I don't recall who made it but I know the dealer who carried it. maybe I will check with him for a name,
I do recall thinking how clever the concept was. Make one using a band of perforated metal, you could then also use oriental coins with hole in the middle.

Kotah
Hay Jimmeyj,
Your wecome! :)
[quote]
On 2010-07-05 13:58, jimmyj wrote:
Hi,
Roy Kueppers also makes one.
It's called Shazam. In Canadian currency.
Found it at http://www.browsersden.com

Jim
[/quote]

Is the picture on that site for REAL!!! are you kidding me...a REAL brick and mortar that is clean and well stocked? I gotta check out flights, I want to vacation in that store!!! WOW
Jim,
Let me know when you are going. I might just join you! We haven't had a shop like that in Denver for many years.

Sammy