(Close Window)
Topic: Phantoms-Outlaw Strikes Again!
I guess Rick Roth was waiting for someone to notice this new Book test on his site. Professor B.C. is involved as well. Seems to be a leather-bound book--How classy!
Isn't that timely! I love leather books - in fact, like I posted too... I'll have few coming out myself.
Sweet! Coming from Prof BC it must be stinkin' awesome!
It will be! Here is the full writup:

PHANTOMS

The storied 1926 replica of the Minute Book of Cambridge’s E********ing Club becomes Outlaw’s first leather-bound book test.

The club boasted Not Even Death Shall Stop Us, and their boast became their curse. By 1769, when the last member ‘died,’ The E********ing Club was already infamous. The master of Jesus College, Cambridge, seized the club’s Minute Book, which kept an account of their meetings. He locked it safely away and gave strict orders that it should never be opened. In 1926 the ‘old superstitions’ were discarded and the Minute Book was included in a published series of obscure college papers. Only then did the true nature of The Club’s ***ation become apparent.

You hold in your hand that 1926 volume. The book collector will tell you that it is a 144-page, ¾ red Moroccan bonded-leather, gold-stamped volume in very fine condition. But you know better: it is a portal.

To open this book is to call back those cursed spirits and force them to reenact their hell-fire offenses forever.

Outlaw Effects is proud to offer you PHANTOMS: The Minute Book of the E********ing Club, a wholly new concept in Outlaw book tests devised and written by Professor BC, the mind that brought you So Dark: The Colney Hatch Experiment, 1934-1936 as well as the Ipswich performance manual and the augmented Lillian instructional booklet.

Outlaw’s first leather bound book test looks like it could be from the private library of a Cambridge don.

PHANTOMS is 144 pages long and 100% examinable. It can even be read cover-to-cover without tipping the method.

There are no forces employed.

You do not control the spectator at any time.

It is an absolutely free choice of any page.

There are no "banks", no Svengali principle or short pages used.

You never know a page number, you do not peek the book.

The only thing used is the book.

With this book in her hands, the spectator becomes a channel to the other world. As she looks at the page you suddenly see the meeting taking place, the specific men who attended, their full names, where they sat, what they discussed. As if the fog of two hundred years has lifted, you know the month, the day, the exact year, the very hour of their meeting. It is as if you are in the room with them as you reveal their moods and tensions—you can even see the rain on the window or hear the wind blowing in the chimney. As you describe the unique image on the opposite page it becomes clear to your audience that the phantoms of the eighteenth century are truly in the room with you. This may be more than mind reading. Could it be actual contact?

In short, you completely recreate their fiendish meeting—going so far as to set up the room in the exact configuration of the meeting that occurred over two hundred years ago.

The book moves chronologically from meeting to meeting, month to month, year to year. Each meeting is unique, yet you are always in complete control of how much or how little you reveal.

PHANTOMS can be used in séance, bizarre, or mind reading performances.

The presentation can be as dark or light as you wish to make it; it is up to the performer to decide. Every page in the book is hand aged. The cover is lovingly aged and lightly distressed, a red ¾ bonded leather, aged with the same expertise you have come to expect in an Outlaw product.

PHANTOMS comes complete with an instruction/performance manual e-book over 125 pages in length written by the creator of PHANTOMS, Professor BC. The performance manual includes routines for the séance room, bizarre presentation, and mind reading act; printable props; full routines for Tarot readings, Konxari readings, and Ouija sessions; performance tips and tricks; and a script for a fully staged performance of PHANTOMS.

For your back story, the manual includes the 1910 short story that inspired the creation of PHANTOMS, written by Arthur Gray, Master of Jesus College, Cambridge.

There will also be a private PHANTOMS forum for all purchasers to share additional ideas and thoughts.

This book is a must have for the professional performer, hobbyist, and collector alike.
In stock Aug. 1st
What is the price?
Good question.
I hope its priced friendly the latest releases I thought were pretty steep
hope this one can be bought by more people
btw when will the photo be up
I emailed Rick, I will not post the price he quoted, there must be a reason he has not posted it's cost yet. It's a limited run, priced accordingly. Note it's listed under the Golden
Gun section.
Brehan - for the working professional, which is the target audience, the Outlaw prices are not steep at all. If anything some of the effects are under priced, and the whole point to the thing is we don't really want everyone to have them :)

(Rick- you got them spirit boards sold out yet?)
I thought the price fair, having not seen it yet, but it's not inexpensive.
And we wait!!
I believe it will be in stock and ready to ship August 1. Not that much of a wait. LOL.

Benny
Will have all the skinny posted shortly on Phantoms. Ship date is correct.

Right now the Mysterious Prof B.C. is out of contact. He's at a wildlife preserve bonding with the chimps.

He's getting exact measurements and making molds for the severed chimp paw that will be an accessory for the Re-Animator. (seriously)
He's an ummm...perfectionist if you didn't already know that hehe.
Good grief
Rick...

Don't keep yanking our chaines...enough already...!!!
Phantoms is a Limited edition of 100 numbered units. Leather hardcover hand aged
$225.00
Just sent the mnoney and look forward to some pictures of the thing.... :o)
Snet $ to where? no paypal button yet.
I summoned the demon AstaROTH and in a banishing ritual he channeled me the price....
Phantoms web page and paypal button are up. The books arrived today from the custom binders.

Phantoms is a limited edition of 100 numbered units.

$225.00 shipped world wide.

Prof. B.C. has done a wonderful job with this project over the past several months. A great edition for the collector, performer and hobbyist.

-Rick
Is Phantoms dimensions the same as Ipswitch? I want to put them next to each other and it would be nice if they had different dimensions. Either way, I think I may need this.
PHANTOMS is 7.25 x 5 inches, making it about halfway between Ipswich and Lillian's Diary in size. It is the same thickness as Ipswich. A good size for platform work but still small enough to carry if you prefer performing it in a walk-around venue.

It is 3/4 red Moroccan bonded leather with a gold-stamped spine, and has a red ribbon bookmark sewn in. Everything is gently hand aged to appear to have lived in a gentleman's library for the past 100 years. Most elegant.

Additionally, the handling and revelations are quite different from Ipswich, so you may perform PHANTOMS in the same show with any of the other Outlaw book tests and achieve a most mysterious effect.

Pictures will be up early in the coming week.
Pictures will be up shortly. This is a really finely done book, it was well kept for decades :)
Ordered mine sight un seen. You just know it's another hit.
Ipswich on the bottom and Lillian on the top. Phantoms is true to the period and style of a Cambridge minutes book circa 1927.

[img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1742/img2239va.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5545/img2234nn.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/73/img2216l.jpg[/img]
Yes, good Rick, well-cared for not buried for decades, good-
[quote]
On 2010-07-24 23:48, Balaram wrote:
Yes, good Rick, well-cared for not buried for decades, good-
[/quote]
It's actually a bit older looking in person. The camera always seems to "clean up" the colors.
The corners are a little worn, the pages have foxing. It was well cared for but does show a bit of age.
It looks like you spilled the scotch in that last pic Rick :)
[img]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8846/img2241uz.jpg[/img]
I would like to preface this review saying that I have collaborated with PROF BC on a few projects before. That being said, I am going to try my best to give you a review from the viewpoint of a consumer. Thankfully this will be a piece of cake.

I have spent all day yesterday in the world of Phantoms. I have read the book cover to cover, along with the incredible 120+ page manual.

The Look: Phantoms is larger than Lillian’s Diary, yet smaller than Ipswich. It has beautiful soft red leather, and a type of cloth or alike around the cover. It also has a stitched in page holder ribbon that adds to its overall elegance. The paper is of extreme high quality and the aging is perfect for this type of book. The print again is of fine quality and the entire book is written as coming from the period. There are wonderful images on the left hand side that corresponds to the right hand page the spectator is reading as well.

The Effect: Phantoms is a ghost story through and through. You will be able to tell a wonderful tale and entertain your audience no doubt. If desired, you could have the book read cover to cover before the performance.

The Works: Exact hits. That is what Phantoms delivers in spades. You will be able to have a spec turn to ANY page, and the performer (sometimes without saying a word) will be able to reveal an amazing amount of information. 15+ hits per page. There are two basic workings to this gem. A basic working that will yield some information and more in-depth workings that will allow you to reveal all of the information on the page. For the basic routine, you will have the basic workings in your head in seconds. However for the more in depth revelations you will need to practice, just for the sheer amount of information that you will reveal.

The Manual: For those of you that have purchased, SO DARK, THE IPSWICH PERFORMANCE MANAUL and LILLIAN’S DIARY MANUAL, you know the quality and superb information that is contained. PHANTOM’S continues that. It is roughly 128 pages in length and bursting with information. Every detail of the book is explained. Examples given, and scripts provided. There are wonderful routines as well that can incorporate the book itself, tarot, scrying mirrors as well as various items like the Outlaw SM board, spirit bells etc. I am currently on my second read though of the manual, and I plan to read it a few more times to properly understand PHANTOMS full potential.

Final Thoughts: PHANTOMS is a wonderful book test. It is a complete show if desired. Some of the routines in the performance manual could last 45 minutes easily. It is a unique edition to any serious collector of Arcane. A wonderful story, a fantastic book and the amazing as always performance manual make this item worth its price.

The Professor has done it again. Highly Recommended.
Thanks, Vic.

Mine's on the way, can't wait.

Benny
You’re going to enjoy it. The last routine in particular is simply amazing. A wonderful piece of theater.
Phantoms orders started shipping out today! Each book comes with a numbered certificate from Prof B.C. :)
Ooooh

Benny
I got a tracking number!:-) Thanks guys. Fantastic service.
Phantoms arrived today. I can already tell this will be my go to book.
I got my copy today also :)

This is a beautiful little book. It's very high end looking. As much as I love the Luna books it's great to offer something from the other end of the spectrum, looks wise.

The manual is fantastic as usual coming from the Prof.

-Rick
I would ask any discussion by owners of this be in the crypt or at the Outlaw forum. I have started a thread there. This one is too good to compromise in an open forum.
Just sent off money to get my copy!
Thank you Professor B C. I feel you wrote this especially for me. After all these years I have now found what I have sought.
Kindred spirits.
My book is on the way. (Number #4). The manual looks so amazing, but I refuse to read it until I've got the book. So EXCITING! The Prof rocks!

Benny
Benny, I read the history and the book twice before the manual. It's worth the wait.
Self-control, self-control.
Ben:
The manual has a 'stop here' page that you can read up to without tipping the method. Go ahead and read the introductory material including the 1910 short story in the manual then stop where the warning comes before you get to the method. You'll be glad you did. Arthur Gray's short story will give you all the background you will need so you can really get into the book when it arrives.

The book is intended to be the 'minute book' that Arthur Gray used to write his famous short story.

Arthur Gray, of course, was one of the chaps who used to sit in on those famous M.R. James readings at Eton, and this story is his tribute to James.

In essence, PHANTOMS is your conduit to channel an M.R. James atmosphere directly into your performance space.

Enjoy!
I followed PROF BC instructions. I read up to the stop page and the entire minute book. Then dove into the method. The manual itself is huge at 140 pages, with some amazing routines.
Only an Academic would write a 140-page manual---Thanks Professor!
It includes the instruction book and also a full performance manual.
At last, a rapping or knocking object that makes absolute sense!

Logic and magic combined. . .

Does it get any better than that !?

PS: Great looking piece of apparatus.

Kotah
APologies for jumping the gun. The pot above was meant to appear in the area for the effect Death came knocking. chalk the error up to my advancing state of senility.

Kotah
Got my copy... no. 5 in the mail today. Beautiful!! Now need to read in instruction manual.

the best,

Damon
Thanks, Prof.

Benny
Got no sleep last night... reading the manual. All I can say is FANTASTIC111 I've been collecting book tests along with wallets and watches for more than almost 50 years now and this is the best so far. Great back story, spectacular methods and I can hardly wait to get it down pat for presentation.
Many thanks to Rick and Prof BC. By the way delivery was super fast from Wednesday purchase to Friday delivery.

thanks again and best regards,
Damon
RCP has a thread on PHANTOMS down in the crypt that you should look into.

Don't neglect the chat room on the Outlaw web page. Your manual has the code word in it that lets you enter.

Remember to email Outlaw for your performance manual ebook when you buy PHANTOMS.
Just returned this afternoon from a two-day performance trip to Asheville, NC, where I performed PHANTOMS three times to a most gratifying response. I was at the Grove Park Inn, a gorgeous resort that opened in 1913, where I was lucky enough to stay in the room famously haunted by the "Pink Lady" (room 545) and give one of the performances, the midnight seance, in the Houdini room (room 642) where Houdini actually stayed on August 25, 1921.

A splendid few days and a perfect setting for PHANTOMS.

(nb, if you are awaiting your copy of PHANTOMS, and it is #8, you should be aware that your particular copy was packed in the haunted room of the Grove Park Inn. Lucky boy (. . . though it wasn't posted until I returned home.))

Yes, the room is really haunted. I will, however, tell my varied stories of hauntings and haunted places I have visited only face-to-face.
Hoping for my copy any day!

Benny
Got it.

Amazing . . . even by Ipswitch and WA standards.
Just arrived.

What a stunning piece of work. This is so "real" looking and feeling that one is compelled to sit and read it from cover to cover.

Thanks Prof BC and the Outlaw-Effects team!

Benny
I will write up the "Houdini Seance Room" routine that I performed at the Grove Park Inn and post it on Outlaw's PHANTOMS chat room. It was an intense half-hour show that practically worked itself and received six additional bookings from the fifteen sitters as well as an invitation to return to the Grove Park Inn over Halloween.

Hope to have it up this weekend.
Sounds great. I am looking forward to it.
6/15. Congrats Prof BC, Well done !
That sounds great Prof BC. Thanks again.
Received mine today. Number 9. The Certificate of Authenticity is a nice touch. The book itself is a work of art. Kudos to Rick & Prof BC.
Got my Phantoms and sat down to have a good read and study. I must be honest and say that the method is absalutley amazing and very easy to learn. The word MEMORIZE is a harsh word to use with this book. It is so very easy to learn because it is (Without giving the method away) what one may call A chain reaction. The volunteer can search high and low there is nothing for him to find.
You know what they say: Small is beatiful :)
If you are thinking of something that can be everything it is definately Phantoms.
Cheers
Roni
I have ordered mine and read the first part of the instruction manual - and can't wait for the Prof to write up his last presentation in the forums. I got this for one main reason - Prof BC has a gift for creating great routines and if he puts a book test together then I'm all in. I have made myself not read the method yet and can't wait to read through the book then the method then on to some great routines!

Looking forward to this!
Chad
My Houdini Room Seance routine is up on the Phantoms chat room on the Outlaw page. I've also included a subtle dodge I've used successfully when performing Phantoms.

If you haven't read the method yet (still waiting for your book) have a little patience here, too. The routine and dodge both tip the method.
[quote]
On 2010-07-24 08:13, PROF BC wrote: It is 3/4 red Moroccan bonded leather ...[/quote]
:confused:

There is no such thing as Morocco bonded leather. ;)
Moroccan bonded leather is an actual, real-leather bonded imitation made of domestic leather created to imitate the red-dyed bird's-eye patterning of the goatskin product classically known as Moroccan leather and historically imitated through the use of sheepskin that is called French Moroccan or saffian.

This is the product to be found enveloping PHANTOMS in the traditional 3/4 leathered style of the period in question.

Thanks for your inquiry.
^^^ I'm not sure what "actual, real-leather bonded imitation" means. My point was simply that there is no goatskin in bonded leather - in fact, there is very little leather at all in bonded leather.
The substantive of 'imitation' is also the subject of your original inquiry, namely Moroccan with the subordinate substantive being leather. I apologise if my lacuna was confusing.

Your point about the goatskin is very well taken, and I am indebted to you for it. I will cheerfully refund the purchase price of PHANTOMS to anyone disappointed in the discovery that there is no actual goatskin used in the production of this effect.
NO GOATSKIN!!!! This is absolutely...irrelevant to me. Keep your money and I'll keep the book...and all of the wonderful routines you devise!
I will have plenty of goats skin just 5 seconds after midnight on the night of the next full moon if any one wants any. ;)
If it ain't Human skin--it ain't worth squat!
[quote]
On 2010-08-07 19:41, PROF BC wrote: I apologise if my lacuna was confusing.[/quote]

I'll thank you to keep your lacunae out of it. I have no interest in the specifics of your anatomy.

If copies bound in this real-genuine-simulated-actual-imitation-ersatz-pseudo-leather material have not sold out, I'll leave it at that.
[quote]
On 2010-08-07 20:16, dennfox wrote:
If it ain't Human skin--it ain't worth squat!
[/quote]
Oh Dennis, yer so vanilla.

I want mine covered in black latex.
I will have plenty of black latex just 5 seconds after midnight on the night of the next full moon if any one wants any. :)
I can't see the forest, will someone move those trees. I need to drive my Lacuna down to the lake. So I can feed the goats!
I don't like vanilla! What other flavors have you got?
Just ordered mine.
Anyone tell me what the average delivery time is on these?

Steve
RICK!!!!!
Please answer to my PM!!!!
:)
[quote]
On 2010-08-09 03:34, steveline wrote:
Just ordered mine.
Anyone tell me what the average delivery time is on these?

Steve
[/quote]

Yours is being mailed this morning.
Wow, thanks Prof. (if I may be so familiar)

I'm looking forward to this a lot. And getting on the forum to see what others are doing with it.

As well as the subject matter, the thing that sold me on it was a comment about how little memorisation is involved.
I'm getting on a bit now, but can still find my own way home.
Most nights.

steve
The memory work really is simple, I believe. In fact, you have well over half of the memorization completed right this minute, and most people will find that they are able to present a basic performance of PHANTOMS within a few minutes of reading the instructions.

Enjoy!
The mention of using it with Konxari cards also piqued my interest.
I picked some up a few months ago and have never used them.

One other point.
On the Outlaw page for Phantoms, it says at the bottom;
"E-mail outlaw for the e-book performance manual"

Does that mean Phantoms comes with a printed manual or does one have to ask for the e-book once in possesion of Phantoms
(Should that be, Once Phantoms is in the possesion of you)

Regards
steve
[quote]
On 2010-08-09 14:53, steveline wrote:
The mention of using it with Konxari cards also piqued my interest.
I picked some up a few months ago and have never used them.

One other point.
On the Outlaw page for Phantoms, it says at the bottom;
"E-mail outlaw for the e-book performance manual"

Does that mean Phantoms comes with a printed manual or does one have to ask for the e-book once in possesion of Phantoms
(Should that be, Once Phantoms is in the possesion of you)

Regards
steve
[/quote]
When you purchase Phantoms email me at outlaw@outlaw-effects.com and I will send the 128 page e-book manual.
Thanks for the quick response Rick.

I ordered today and the good professor says it's shipping same day.
I guess it'll take about 10 days or so to get to Holland.

I'll e-mail you when it arrives.

thanks
steve
PHANTOMS #13 is up for sale in the limited-edition numbered collection.
Have not heard officially from Rick, but judging from the PMs, I believe #13 has probably sold. I do not know to whom. Rick will tell me who paid first.

Rick will contact everyone who did not get in first and ask if you want to have the next PHANTOMS in the queue or would prefer to cancel your order. That's only fair.

Thanks, lads. I'll post the winner here as soon as I know who it is.
I need this book. On the outlaw site it says 100 units. Are they only being made in runs of 13 or is the 13th copy being rallied for?

Thanks.
-John
Hi JAlenS:
There are more. I just noticed that #13 was coming up and thought someone might like to have it. It was a little like opening the life vest concession on the Titanic, though.

Never fear, all orders ship within 24 hours of receipt and will do until the limited edition is sold out.
Thanks Prof.

I have to ask. Who is that in your avatar?
That's me. I'm performing the part of Prospero in Shakespeare's The Tempest (or else warding off flying monkeys, difficult to tell, really). The other avatar was me, too, as Moses in Sheridan's School for Scandal; it was etched by one of my students, but the Café powers didn't believe it and kept taking it off again.

And I've just heard from Rick that WJZ will be getting #13. It will mail out in the morning along with the other orders placed. Thanks to everyone. Very gratifying.
Phantoms No. 1 has finally arrived in Germany. Thanks again!
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 16:22, LarsRuth wrote:
Phantoms No. 1 has finally arrived in Germany. Thanks again!
[/quote]
#1 !!!!
Yes, and I am very proud to have it!
Congratulations Lars
Now I'm wondering what number is on it's way to me.

Steve
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 17:02, steveline wrote:
Congratulations Lars
Now I'm wondering what number is on it's way to me.

Steve
[/quote]
I think yer number 741,261 right before D. Fox
I'm in for a long wait. I'd better get myself a good book.....hey, wait a minute.

Rick; pm'd you about Homicide.

Steve
Mine is sitting on my doorstep while I am on vacation...almost would like to go home and get it...but that is about 6 hours away...and I don't think my wife would understand my decision to leave the beach for a book...

Now, hopefully my neighbor doesn't actually open the package before I get home - they might think I'm strange...
Chad,

All I can say is all the best mate !
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 17:44, steveline wrote:
I'm in for a long wait. I'd better get myself a good book.....hey, wait a minute.

Rick; pm'd you about Homicide.

Steve
[/quote]

Steve, that's a bit drastic, isn't it?
Homicide??? Someone talk Steve down! Don't let him near the post office.

Steve I'm bumping you up to 247,600

that's about 491,762 ahead of D. Fox
That's okay Roth! I went and stole Chad's copy off his doorstep!
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 19:16, dennfox wrote:
That's okay Roth! I went and stole Chad's copy off his doorstep!
[/quote]
Good man!
Hey Roth!
Since I stole Chad's copy off his doorstep, do you think you can send me the instructions?
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 22:51, dennfox wrote:
Hey Roth!
Since I stole Chad's copy off his doorstep, do you think you can send me the instructions?
[/quote]
Absolutely. They're $225.00
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 23:25, Roth wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 22:51, dennfox wrote:
Hey Roth!
[/quote]
Absolutely. They're $225.00
[/quote]

Ha!
Touché
Only just realised how my post sounded.

Homicide was a different matter all together.

I think!!!

Steve
[quote]
On 2010-08-12 03:20, steveline wrote:
Only just realised how my post sounded.

Homicide was a different matter all together.

I think!!!

Steve
[/quote]

Just going after Rick on general principles, then; nothing to do with the book?

Rick, we're behind you all the way, buddy, at least until after the shooting stops. Then we're running for better cover.
You've got the wrong end of the stick.

with all the Outlaw this and Hideout that and Sniper pads all over the place, I thought maybe Rick was a hitman.

I need someone bumping off.
Do you think I should try elswhere?

Anyway I need Rick alive for when my Phantoms arrives, so I can e mail him for the e book part
Though I do wish he'd read his PMs

Steve
[quote]
On 2010-08-12 07:47, steveline wrote:
You've got the wrong end of the stick.

with all the Outlaw this and Hideout that and Sniper pads all over the place, I thought maybe Rick was a hitman.

I need someone bumping off.
Do you think I should try elswhere?

Steve
[/quote]

Oooh, I see. Yes, absolutely, Rick's your man.
I wanted to bring this thread back to the top to get some additional comments/reviews of Phantoms.
I can't add any info I'm afraid,
I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

Last week I got a card saying there was a parcel to collect from the post office.
I was skipping like a child all the way there.
Turned out to be some spare parts for the lawn mower.
Talk about a slap in the face.

Hopefully it's here this week.

steve
Just got mine as it was sitting in the neighbors house while I was on vacation for the last two weeks. After sitting down and reading the book from a spectator's vantage point I could find NOTHING to suggest anything "tricky" about the book - it was just a gripping series of minutes from various meetings that kept you turning the pages.

Then, after finally going through the first part of the method - I was giggling with the HUGE amount of hits that are possible - depending on how far you wish to go, OR you could just do some of the basics within a few minutes of reading the instructions, the instructions which are a joy to read as they are coming from Prof BC. This is a nicely thought out and very logical way to present and remember the info in the book - and the different routines contain something for many different tastes and performance styles.

I still need to go and read through the rest of the method section, but just the first few pages have made me smile and shake my head and then think that Prof BC is some kind of mad genius...

Good job Prof and Outlaw!
I received mines last week.

However, am I the ONLY one not to have got any instructions with it ???

BOBBY THOMSON.
PSYSHADOW
I think once you have the book you send an e-mail to Rick and he sends you the e manual.
Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.

Steve
You are correct Steve.
Wow! my brain works today.

Maybe if I ask nicely, they'll let me have my crayons back

Steve
Thanks guy's. I have been sending messages to Rick since last week, but no reply so far.

Could be he's just a very busy man right now.

Cheers,

BOBBY THOMSON.
Many thanks again guy's.

I'm pleased to say that I have now received the download from Rick.

Thanks to all, and to Outlaw.

BOBBY THOMSON.
PSYSHADOW

How long did yours take to arrive?
Longer than 2 weeks?

Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve,

Less than two weeks.

Cheers,

BOBBY THOMSON.
Thanks for the info.
How are you liking it?

Steve
Steve:
Your copy shipped the day of your purchase. The delay is in the post and international customs. We've had delays as long as, Lars, was it 3 weeks to Germany or 4?

The Post Office here tells me that sometimes customs can hold a package as long as 6 weeks, but apparently that is an extreme case.

Let me know when it arrives, please.
No problem, you had told me it left the same day, great service.
I know it will get here.
It's just killing me not reading past the "Stop reading here" point.
I've only got so much will power.

Steve
Steve - it is worth it not to read past that so you can read the book like a "regular" person when it first comes in. It's quite the interesting series of meetings...
Man! I thought I had snagged Chad's copy of Phantoms but it turns out that all I got was his Valley Phone Book!
But if you killed everyone in the phone book. And then memorised it, you'd have a cool prop for a seance. You could contact them all. Alphabetically if you wish, and you can hand the book out. No one will find the secret.

I need to lie down
Rick, did you hear that???? That would be the best booktest ever :)
Reviews?
My phantoms just materialised out of the ether (well via a post van actually)

I got number 12

I had to pay the guy another $30 for customs duty

Oh well. Off to play

Steve
Hi Steveline,

I got number 11.

BOBBY.
Can someone leave their Phantoms out on their door stoop so I can steal it and do a review?
Sure dennis,

All you have to do is get past my six alsatian guard dogs and pet tiger, lift the book off the doorstep, and walk away. (maybe better to walk quite fast).
OUCH!
Don't worry, the dogs don't like water, so you're safe in the pond. (just keep away from the four crocodiles).
Man! You do like your Outlaw stuff!
Sure would appreciate a comprehensive review.
I didn't scan all 5 pages but this buyer posted comments.

"Got my Phantoms and sat down to have a good read and study. I must be honest and say that the method is absolutley amazing and very easy to learn. The word MEMORIZE is a harsh word to use with this book. It is so very easy to learn because it is (Without giving the method away) what one may call A chain reaction. The volunteer can search high and low there is nothing for him to find.
You know what they say: Small is beatiful
If you are thinking of something that can be everything it is definitely Phantoms.
Cheers"
Roni

another post:

"Just got mine as it was sitting in the neighbors house while I was on vacation for the last two weeks. After sitting down and reading the book from a spectator's vantage point I could find NOTHING to suggest anything "tricky" about the book - it was just a gripping series of minutes from various meetings that kept you turning the pages.

Then, after finally going through the first part of the method - I was giggling with the HUGE amount of hits that are possible - depending on how far you wish to go, OR you could just do some of the basics within a few minutes of reading the instructions, the instructions which are a joy to read as they are coming from Prof BC. This is a nicely thought out and very logical way to present and remember the info in the book - and the different routines contain something for many different tastes and performance styles.

I still need to go and read through the rest of the method section, but just the first few pages have made me smile and shake my head and then think that Prof BC is some kind of mad genius...

Good job Prof and Outlaw!
Chad
I received mine (within three days of ordering)two weeks ago. Of the Outlaw Book tests, this is the easiest to learn. Took about an hour to have it down pat. (Obviously, creating the best presentation suitable for me will take more work, though Prof BC's material and explanations and routines were terrific.) I have Luna, Ipswich, Lillian, Witches Almanac, Reflections, so I have some experience with the Outlaw tests. The Phantoms story is very, very good in itself. After reading the source material, you realize how incredibly clever the adaptation for this "special" edition was. It follows along the actual story that was published early last century, so if someone wants to look it up on the web, they can do so. I read the book cover to cover in one sitting as soon as I received it, and the story was gripping. The darkness and terror grew palpably from page to page. The actual revelations are not pedestrian, but in keeping with the story and the overall tone.
Finally, and this is what I loved, a magician friend of mine is one of the top custom bookbinders in the US and examined the book. He was very impressed with the quality and authenticity of the edition, believing it looked like what it purports to be, an aged copy kept in a library. (In fact, he was very impressed with all of my Outlaw products, not being previously familiar with them.)

In short, this is one of my favorite Outlaw products. Highly recommended.
John
John
Thanks very much, all, for the positive comments.

This is just a heads-up to everyone considering owning PHANTOMS. Sales have been brisk, and the current run is down to 7 copies. After those are sold, there will be a hiatus until the first of the year before the last run can be done (to finish this 100-copy, limited edition offering). After that, PHANTOMS will be a collector's item.
This has become my go to effect. The occult bookstore wants me every day. I love the tea ladies........

Prof BC? What's next??????
You mean aside from more tea ladies?
Got no problem with more tea ladies... there is gold in the tea...... but I can hope for another home run buddy? Phantoms is one of those once a lifetime effects. Just my humble opinion.
Gentlemen:
There are exactly 2 copies of PHANTOMS left from the first print run. There will be a second print run, but not immediately. If you want a PHANTOMS for your haunted Halloween, these two will go out on a first-come, first-served basis after which there will be a hiatus of at least a month before more are ready and possibly not until the first of the year.

All print runs will end when we reach 100 copies. After that, PHANTOMS will be a collector's item.

Best,
Prof BC
Aww man, I wish I had that money right now, I'd buy immediately.
There is now only one copy of PHANTOMS remaining if you wish to have this haunted routine for your Halloween performance.

The next print run won't be for the next few weeks at least and possibly won't occur until the new year.

Happy haunting.
Gentlefolk,

As the proud owner of Number 14, may I boldly suggest that if your interest is piqued and you are vacillating in joining the happy band who own Phantoms, you should snap this up. It is a delight.

Besides being meticulously put together and a joy to look at and to the touch, it is a great read that can be freely given out to the spec and enjoyed and the method is so fiendish (and yet straight-forward) that if it were a person it would be a silhouette of a dastard manically twirling his highly-waxed moustache and puffing on a cheroot whilst cackling at the moon.

The extensive manual that accompanies Phantoms covers several presentation angles comprehensively from simple reveals to full-blown seance.

Must dash - to 1743 - great things are afoot!

Thanks again Prof BC for this beautiful little slice of wonder
The first print run of PHANTOMS has sold out.

Rick will be taking pre-orders for the next print run, which will begin shipping in November.

Thank you, everyone, for your support of PHANTOMS and kind words.

Happy haunting.
As you have probably read on the SM thread, PHANTOMS will again be available soon. The binder is promising delivery to Outlaw during the week of April 4 (date subject to change depending on binder). Those of you who have been patiently waiting, thank you most sincerely. There will be a special bonus included as a reward for your patience: a replica eighteenth-century coin to use in performance (as detailed in the performance manual).

We will also include a replica eighteenth-century coin with the next five PHANTOMS purchased.

And, yes, PHANTOMS is limited to 100 copies after which we will not print any more. Here is the link for more information:

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/golden-gun/phantoms.html
Wonderful news!
Nice to have you back Prof BC! This is my favorite effect when I am looking for new friends. Wander into a book store or coffee shop……… strike up a conversation and the wonderment begins………..
Highly recommend.
Was waiting for an update before I pulled the trigger, Prof BC. Ordered(hope I am in time for the coin!)
Necroloid, you are indeed in time. Congratulations.
Congrads, It looks so good!
There is a PHANTOMS discussion going on in the Crypt that those interested in Google issues will be interested and happy to read.

For those on this thread, please refer to the effect as PHANTOMS exclusively and do no use the phrase "THE E*********G CLUB" without hiding it as you see here. PHANTOMS is the code name we should use while "E.C." is the public name of the book that the spectators hear, see, and won't find attached to PHANTOMS if they Google it.

I expect the next shipment from the binder on Monday. I'll post here when it arrives.

If you are waiting for your copy of PHANTOMS, please PM me before April 4 (Monday). We have a bonus to discuss (yes, you get a choice of free psychometry props for performance if you PM me in time, otherwise, I'll choose for you).
One of the best book tests I've played with. I, too, would recommend this!
It is fantastic!!! and I also recommend it highly... I use mine with Death Came Knocking and it plays so well.

Damon
Google-proofing is complete. Search engines no longer pick up the Outlaw site or the Spooky thread (thank you Vic and Magic Café) and the PHANTOMS Latest and Greatest thread has already dropped from the second hit on the first Google page to the next-to-last hit (thank you Rick and Magic Café).

By sometime next week, then, PHANTOMS will again be Google invisible.

This will remain the case PROVIDED we all agree never to write out "E.C." on ANY online site or Café thread. You may refer to PHANTOMS all you like, but please do not write out E.C. (Writing it as E*********g C**b or E.C. is sufficient, and safe).

Now a word of mea culpa. Rick and Vic have taken some heat for this Google issue, but the fault has been entirely mine from the beginning. I provided the advertising copy that Rick relied upon, and I very foolishly wrote out "E.C." in that copy (forgetting that it would end up online). Vic used that online description in all innocence whilst writing his review. It was my fault and mine alone. Rick and Vic have been heroic in their successful efforts to erase my mistake, and I thank them along with the Magic Café tech team most sincerely.

PHANTOMS is safe. Please begin encouraging your spectators to Google E.C. and read the spectacular, spooky and true background for this most special effect.

Finally, I have learned much from this experience, not the least of which being the high-quality, gentlemanly group of people with whom I have the honor of working and for whom I have the pleasure of providing magic. My next book (which is currently in the works) will be Google-invisible from its inception.

Thank you for your encouragement, patience and support.
Prof & Rick & everyone else involved - Thank You! Truly outstanding follow up. Much appreciated!
Much appreciated here, too. Good work all, Blessings.
Appreciate all your hard work on this. BIG TIME thank you.

All the best,

Damon
I just Googled the E C, and 7 posts down is a link to Magic Café.
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 16:39, Michael Clifton wrote:
I just Googled the E C, and 7 posts down is a link to Magic Café.
[/quote]
Odd because there is no reference on that thread. I asked that the link be removed.
Well, it's still there, Rick. Meant to PM anyway about the most suitable book test for my work. Would you say that the revelations in Phantoms are mostly on the paranormal level, or could it be swayed towards psychology and the effect of and suggestion on our interpretation of reality? Deep in know!! Could you PM me on the sort of revelations it offers?

Thanks,

Mike
Yes, it may be 7 posts down now, but it was only 2 down yesterday morning. I know we live in a world of instant gratification, but give it time, give it time. It will soon be gone--days, I said, or weeks. There is nothing any longer to find on those threads. Give Google a chance to catch up. They will disappear, as I stated in this morning's post. The Outlaw hit is already gone, as is Spooky. Those disappeared faster than expected. Once more, please give it time.

Michael: If you're looking for a psychological approach, you *might* be able to use PHANTOMS, but, honestly, I'd suggest Reflections V2 or LUNA 1934, 1935 and/or 1936 as they are much more in that line.
Thanks for that. I have Luna, and it plays very well. I am just interested to know what sort of revelations you can give...but obviously without giving too much away on an open forum, and please tell me you will not be printing anymore after this run!!
I've already had a debate about this today!
With PHANTOMS, you have the option of revealing as much or as little as you like of the following (in most any order you desire), no matter which page is selected (no force and no peek required):

Day of the week, number and full names of all members in attendance at that meeting, exact month, date, and year of the meeting, what the weather was that day, what they did at the meeting, what the emotional state was of the members at that particular meeting, particular words they spoke, remote viewing of a picture on the opposite page; in sum, there are something like sixteen hits (exact hits) available on each page. No two pages are repeated. The entries progress in normal chronological order (in most cases, for example, the year you reveal is the only place in the entire book that that year appears (and it can be any year at all, depending upon which page the spec has freely selected)). The book may even be read cover-to-cover without tipping its method. The performance convincingly suggests that the performer has actual knowledge of the page the spec is viewing, even if the spec is in another room (or in another house over the telephone).

I realize this may sound like sales talk, but remember, there are performers reading this thread who own PHANTOMS. They will be able to verify these claims independently. It is what PHANTOMS is designed to do.

PHANTOMS comes complete with an instruction/performance manual that is over 120 pages in length, complete with suggested routines and printable props. The next few purchasers will also receive a replica 18th century coin (that may have been used during the members' gambling nights) for use in a psychometric routine.

In total, there will be only 100 copies of PHANTOMS printed (for sale or otherwise) and then it will never be reprinted or offered anywhere ever again. I perform PHANTOMS myself, and am as anxious as anyone that it remain exclusive. I am, in fact, trying to convince Rick to let me cut this off at a lower number than 100, but he assures me there are business reasons for not doing so. As it is, I am printing each run in small numbers in case I can convince him to let me stop. (RCP, is that your dream outcome?)
It's selfish of me, I know. I do want Rick and Prof BC to make money for their creative efforts. I look forward to the next work.........
If I had the funds, I would buy ALL the remaining stock! Phantoms is my most used book. As the Prof states, "With PHANTOMS, you have the option of revealing as much or as little as you like."

I use it in bookstores or coffee shops to meet new friends, find new gigs or to fill an entire evening.

Anyone not happy with their purchase, I will take it off your hands..........
Just minutes ago received an update from the binder regarding PHANTOMS ship date. Message follows:

"Unfortunately they aren't looking like they'll ship today, but it will definitely be this week."

I'll keep you apprised as news arrives.
Thank you, Prof BC. The updates are appreciated!
I second that, thank you!
The binder just emailed with 'hopes' that the books would mail out (to Outlaw) tomorrow. They will update me tomorrow.

Once they arrive, they will be aged and sent. That turn-around will take less than 24 hours. Sorry for the delay.
Thank you, lads, for being so quick. This serves as notice that my complete supply of replica 18th-century coins is now bespoke.

I still (will) have (when they arrive from the binder) a few copies of PHANTOMS before it is back to the aging juice and binder again.

Reminder, there will be only 100 copies (in total) of PHANTOMS made after which it will be a collector's item.
Apparently the binder has not yet shipped. Hopeful for a shipment this week. Sorry, lads, it is out of my hands just now. I do promise to age and ship within 24 hours of receiving them (whenever that may be).

Cheers,
Prof BC
Looking very much forward to receiving this, but don't feel rushed, quality takes time.

Best,
g
Prof BC Thank you for keeping us updated. I'm proud to soon be one of thee 100
I have just learned that PHANTOMS has left the bindery. I expect to see them by the end of the week at the latest. When they arrive, I will set right to work aging them and have them in the mail within 24 hours. They will go out by Priority Mail and, for US customers, I will PM your tracking information (which is not available for international orders, I am sorry to report).

Stand by, lads, they are in transit. Those that ordered in time will also be receiving that replica 18th century coin for the psychometry element of the PHANTOM routines--with grateful thanks for your kind patience.

For everyone else, this means that there are now copies of PHANTOMS ready for purchase that will ship by week's end at the latest.
The books have arrived. I will get to work aging them tonight and will have them in the post tomorrow morning. Domestic customers will receive a PM with your tracking numbers by afternoon.

Thank you again for your patience.

We now have copies of PHANTOMS in stock and ready for immediate purchase.
Most excellent, professor!
Everyone waiting for PHANTOMS, all deliveries went out forty minutes ago. If past experience applies, those waiting in Canadian should expect to see their copies by next week. Australian friends will likely take delivery in the next fourteen days. If you are waiting (EVER so patiently) in the EU, it might be as long as 4-6 weeks or as little as 2 depending upon your Customs regulations. Those of you in Asia should see delivery within 3 weeks. The world of the global post is as mysterious as it is vast.

All tracking numbers for US delivery have been PM'd. If you are a domestic buyer and do not see a PM with your tracking number in your box now, please PM me and I will resend it.

And again, thank you ever so much for your kind patience.

To everyone else, there is no waiting if you purchase PHANTOMS now. We again have stock on hand.
Thank you! Off to reading the first chapter of the performance manual again...
The Number 33 is very significant!

Jesus's age (33) when he was crucified in 33 A.D.
The dwellers of Heaven will exist eternally in a state of being age 33.
Jesus performed 33 recorded miracles.
The numerical equivalent of AMEN: 1+13+5+14=33.
The highest degree in the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry.
The sum of the two master numbers in numerology, 11 and 22.

Just to name a few. I just received my copy of Phantoms. Certified #33/100

Beautiful piece of ART! My new favorite effect! Thank You, Professor BC.

Jorey
PHANTOMS owners:
As promised, the new, streamlined 'props' routine for PHANTOMS has been posted on the PHANTOMS chat room (the Outlaw web page, click the "City Hall" button and then "Outlaw Forum" on the drop down menu, choose PHANTOMS and search under ROUTINES). Your entry code is in your performance manual.

Put your comments and questions in the chat room or PM me here if you want further descriptions or discussions of these new props, ideas, and handling.

Keep it creepy,
Prof BC
Excellent news I will be checking it out tonight.
Awesome! Thanks, Professor
#29 has arrived in Europe!
And #36! In London.

It's beautiful. Reading through it at the moment, before starting on the instructions, as instructed.
I exercised patience and read the whole book first as well. Well worth it!
A truly terrifying read. I'm working on performing this in Dutch, because some of the methods require the use of English in some way - but I'll manage. It dizzies me to see how many hits and possibilities you coded into this book, Prof BC. Bravo!
So looks like about half of the 100 promised books have been sold. I best get off me arse
and order one before I miss out! I just finished reading the entire thread on Phantoms and I'm
fairly certain that I cannot live without this!
[quote]I'm fairly certain that I cannot live without this![/quote]

Be fully certain and push the paypal button!!
It is more than a booktest! Truely effective when used with Death Comes Knocking as the door knocker from Jesus College in Cambridge.

Damon
[quote]
On 2011-05-10 14:55, afinemesh wrote:
[quote]I'm fairly certain that I cannot live without this![/quote]

Be fully certain and push the paypal button!!
[/quote]

Indeed good sir. I'm going to have to butter up the boss, er wife!
[quote]Indeed good sir. I'm going to have to butter up the boss, er wife![/quote]

Yeah, and then there's that ;)
[quote]
On 2011-05-11 00:51, afinemesh wrote:
[quote]Indeed good sir. I'm going to have to butter up the boss, er wife![/quote]

Yeah, and then there's that ;)
[/quote]

I'll just turn up the charm, toss in a foot rub....... :)
[quote]I'll just turn up the charm[/quote]

Don't turn it up too much, then they know you want something. Now you got a whole new problem.
[quote]
On 2011-05-09 16:59, afinemesh wrote:
I exercised patience and read the whole book first as well. Well worth it!
[/quote]

Started on the instructions now.

Love the way you can start performing a simple version pretty much straight away, and then gradually delve deeper and deeper to hone your performance and the number of hits as your skill or time allows. It's a really impressive book straight out of the box, but would seem to get better and better the more time you spend with it. Some reviews seemed to suggest it was an easy book to grasp, others seemed to suggest it was one of the trickier books. I guess both viewpoints are true, depending how deep you wish to go. I love that the difficulty is flexible in that way.

Would really love to see The Prof himself performing this!
Oh, I should say I received it safe and sound in the UK a week after ordering. Nice job Rick!
[quote]
On 2011-05-11 16:58, afinemesh wrote:
[quote]I'll just turn up the charm[/quote]

Don't turn it up too much, then they know you want something. Now you got a whole new problem.
[/quote]

Hhhhmmm....good point. Guess I'll have to just go in the way I usually do....."WHOA! This is a real bargain and it's EXTREMELY RARE!" That usually does the trick!
[quote]"WHOA! This is a real bargain and it's EXTREMELY RARE!"[/quote]

Much better, but be careful when it comes to appealing to her sense of logic. She has to FEEEEEEEL that's it's the right thing to do ;)
Hi all,

I found these replica coins online and I thought I'd share them with you. The two smaller ones are 38mm and the large one is 42mm! They're all date appropriate for Phantoms and cost $4 each; shipped. These coins will represent "lost silver" for my presentation of Phantoms.
Sorry for the quality of the photo, but you'll get the idea.
Jorey

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l602/afinemesh/IMG_0231.jpg
Where did you find them?
I have just posted my coin source on the OUTLAW forum. (The password is listed in your instruction manual).
Had a great time performing PHANTOMS recently whilst addressing the recent question regarding the book's font size. I have posted the new routine on the Outlaw Forum under PHANTOMS>Methods. Have a look. You'll be glad you did. (The password is listed in your PHANTOMS instruction manual).
[quote]
On 2011-08-05 11:41, PROF BC wrote:
Had a great time performing PHANTOMS recently whilst addressing the recent question regarding the book's font size. I have posted the new routine on the Outlaw Forum under PHANTOMS>Methods. Have a look. You'll be glad you did. (The password is listed in your PHANTOMS instruction manual).
[/quote]

I had a look, and I am glad I did.
Hi All, when performing with Phantoms, can the spectator remain silent the entire time while revealing the hits?
Why would they, and if so, how would you accomplish it?
Afinemesh, sent you a PM. Hope you understand. I am planning on purchasing this soon either way
Mind Illusionist:
Sorry for the tardiness of this reply.

PHANTOMS is created in such a manner that you do not need to fish and never peek the book. The performance can actually take place over the telephone after you have sent the book to a friend.

If you desire a presentation in which the spec sits in stony-faced silence, PHANTOMS may be routined thus, but the accompanying performance manual (over 100 pages in length) offers a number of presentations in which the spec will gladly confirm what you see. At my Hallowe'en performance in the "Houdini Room" of the Grove Park Inn last year, the 'book holder' sat apart from the circle during our seance and yet the freely chosen page came to light even without the spec's active participation. I suspect that is what you might have in mind.

That said, PHANTOMS does not work very well as a 'challenge' piece wherein you invite a surly and combative spec to open the book and dare you to tell him which word he is looking at. That isn't the design or purpose of this ghostly manifestation effect.

Hope that is of some assistance to you, and again I apologize for being late in responding.

nb: PHANTOMS is a limited-edition item with a production run of 100 copies only, most of which have already been sold. It will never be reprinted.

Regards,
Prof BC
Thanks Prof BC for the clarification. I do not intend to use Phantoms as a challenge piece, but very happy to hear there is no fishing involved! Will put in my order for it asap :) are there routines that tie in with Hobbs box or other outlaw books in the manual?
Just get this! you will not be disappointed!
[quote]
On 2011-09-28 15:01, necroloid wrote:
Just get this! you will not be disappointed!
[/quote]

Once again, I agree 100% with necroloid!
Order put in!! now for the wait
Does anyone have a problem with the relatively small font and if so, how do you deal with it?
Font is fine; Book of Answers is a little small for tired old eyes but allows for the introduction of a vintage magnifying glass....think warehouse 13 relic :)

Every problem is an opportunity…except on The Café
[quote]Every problem is an opportunity…except on The Café[/quote]

So true!
Phantoms arrived this week! It truly is beautiful, and method is undetectable! Now I cant wait till hobbes and my flashpot box get here to complete for my seance routine :D
Am I alone in thinking that a chance was missed when printing the pictures.

with one little "twist" all the guesswork could be eliminated completely.

Steve
LOL Steve. I see what you mean. I just wonder if the book looks more authentic the way it is?

I love the 'T' in. Combine this with the pictures and there's no real guesswork needed.
Well spotted, Steve.

Minty's right, however. That extra twist, while certainly considered (and which ultimately became the inspiration for the DarkSpell method), would not have rendered an authentic-looking academic text for PHANTOMS. Every care was taken with PHANTOMS that the font, size, colour, images, and text copy should bear up even under close reading.

As it is, PHANTOMS can be left out to be casually picked up and read without tipping its method or even that it is in any way a 'stunt book.' You can even send it off for a friend to read with complete confidence. To anyone not 'in the know' PHANTOMS looks, feels, AND READS (cover to cover) as any ordinary book. That was the the goal of PHANTOMS from its inception.

Mind Illusionist, be sure to visit Outlaw's PHANTOMS chat room for additional discussions and ideas.

BTW, for those considering PHANTOMS, there are only 17 copies left in stock and when those are sold PHANTOMS will be gone forever. It is a limited-edition run of 100 copies and will not be reprinted in any form (for any reason) ever again.
Hi Prof.

I'm sure your reasons for Phantoms are sound, and you'know more about these things than I do.
It was just something that popped into my head and it's been sitting there muttering to itself.

Maybe I need to look at Darkspell

steve
Yes Prof BC, I will check out the forums after going through the manual completely :)
Anyone else having trouble accessing the outlaw forums?
[quote]
On 2011-11-04 12:11, aligator wrote:
Anyone else having trouble accessing the outlaw forums?
[/quote]
Just checked and, yes, the fora seem to be down though the Outlaw site appears to be working.
[quote]
On 2011-11-04 10:18, steveline wrote:
Maybe I need to look at Darkspell
[/quote]

Steve, you should definitely have a look at DarkSpell. I like it so much I've just purchased a second copy. The Hallowe'en special edition is worth a look if there are any left.
The Outlaw chat rooms seem to be working again.
Of great interest to those performing PHANTOMS (17 minute video):

http://www.videobb.com/watch_video.php?v=eBb3ZNlvlEMU
Thank you very much professor.
A most enjoyable quarter of an hour.

steve
Prof

Thanks for the link.

I watched it with a nice cup of tea - perfect for a rainy Wednesday lunchtime.

Regards,

BillyH
Awesome! Thanks for the link!
Just a quick note to let you know there are only 10 PHANTOMS left after #90 goes out the door tomorrow morning on its way to Michigan.

If you want a copy of PHANTOMS, you should consider acting quickly. Once these are sold, they will never be made again in any form or format.

Happy New Year.
Just got PHANTOMS and other goodies.

PHANTOMS ROCKS. ROCKKKKKKKS. This truly is a work of genius... and so well fitting into my fav M R James tyle of entertainment.... oh Prof BC, you are great!

BTW, I am also playing with DARKSPELL - you are truly AMAZING, sir... as this is perfect for Cthulhu and M R James... I am actually going to adapt it to a Canon Alberic Scrapbook style / Abbot Thomas treasure hunt routine!

Coolio!
I agree with everything positive being said about Phantoms. While some are falling over themselves attempting to praise lesser products on other threads, this(with less than 10 copies left) is the one you should be rushing to buy. I own several good book tests, including some from Outlaw and some of the excellent one word or one phrase type.

I held off buying Phantoms last year because I was concerned with the google problem. When it became fixed, I purchased this masterpiece from Prof BC and it HAS lived up to it's billing. It is absolutely the best book test I own and I suspect the best one out there.
[quote]It is absolutely the best book test I own and I suspect the best one out there.[/quote]

Peter, I couldn't agree more!
Got mine in around christmas. #88. I have skimmed through the manual, and I believe I am going to have a lot of fun with this. I haven't immersed my self in it yet cause I am preparing for my Security+ Certification exam, and been learning the workings for darkspell. I am acutally toying with the Idea of bridging them together, and many of you may have already done this, but my idea is this. Depending upon which book I am presenting, lets day a presentation of darkspell. once the presentation is over, and your mingling with the guests, maybe answering some questions. You mention that you were experimenting with some of the rituals in the book, and made the mistake of having another book in your posession at the time. followed by a brief introductory story for Phantoms to set the scene and entice them for another performance.
Or vice versa.
If peforming Phantoms. again afterwards. if asked how you are able to connect with the spirits in the book? Explain that you have another rare and obscure text. followed by a introductory story for Darkspell, and that you made the mistake of having this book (Phantoms) on you while you were experimenting with some of the ritual in the book (Darkspell).

As I have said, I am sure several of you have probably already thought of this. maybe not this exact same presentation of it, but same principle. If you have could you please let me know how well it worked for you? or any changes you could suggest to what I have above.

here, or a PM, which ever you prefer. Have a good one guys.
Guys - the Spirits can be connecting with the SITTERS instead of you - think about it... there are ways to make it look like many hits are made by the sitter if you work in some things
My young Spirit Guide(Sadie),tells me there is one less now...
"I am acutally toying with the Idea of bridging them together"

Why? Why do have so many books with you? How come there are so many hits-is this a magic trick?

Less is more, a lot less is a whole lot more.......
Thanks for the comment RCP. I appologise for not being clearer. I was referring to using this to set up the mystery that there is more to the story.sort of a marketing strategy to entice them to bring you back for another performance. Not necessarily perform them back to back.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jan 18, 2012 03:00AM)
[quote]
On 2011-11-09 09:06, PROF BC wrote:
Of great interest to those performing PHANTOMS (17 minute video):

http://www.videobb.com/watch_video.php?v=eBb3ZNlvlEMU
[/quote]

Just watched the Video. WOW!

I do not have Phantoms but was wondering (after watching the video) if a glass filled with wine would be a nice prop for a séance while using Phantoms?

Of course the glass that I want to use is one where the wine in the glass slowly lowers as if someone is taking little sips. Do you think that would be TOO much?

Ray
No - its perfect - those boys liked to drink wine and party - really
I had to get it, I really think I can work this one. Plus I am 99% sure there almost gone. I have a feeling there down to the last three then this book will litterly disappear!
Hey Prof BC,

How about the left count... for those sitting on the fence?

Gary
It's under 10 for sure.
We will have to start working on the leather 'Ipswich' next then,Vic! :)

And,what is the pre-order price for her?

Thanks,
~G
[quote]
On 2012-01-18 19:54, Godzilla wrote:
We will have to start working on the leather 'Ipswich' next then,Vic! :)

And,what is the pre-order price for her?

Thanks,
~G
[/quote]
What do you talking about? It's already up on the site.
[quote]
On 2012-01-18 19:00, Godzilla wrote:
Hey Prof BC,

How about the left count... for those sitting on the fence?

Gary
[/quote]

Six.
Thanks for the update,PROF BC !
The final PHANTOMS is bespoke, and the unholy 100 are now identified.

Now the fun begins. Please, PHANTOMS owners, do not hesitate to contact me via PM here and/or on the Outlaw forum with ideas and questions about this extraordinary prop. I'm always a bit shy about ballyhooing my own work, but now that my comments cannot possibly be construed as a commercial (as I have none to sell) I can honestly say that I have long been very proud of this effect and use it more than any I own or have devised.

For those who have just purchased in the last week, be advised that I will be aging and finishing your PHANTOMS tomorrow (weather permitting--needs to be dry and reasonably warm to work properly) and will be sending them out on Monday (after they've had a chance to 'cure').

Sorry David! Still waiting for agreeable weather. Thanks for your kind patience. Tomorrow looks good for it, though, and yours goes out first.

Oh, and in the unlikely event any of you ever want to sell your PHANTOMS, remember that it is a bona fide collectors item--so price it accordingly. We are an elite membership, and I along with the other owners wish this one kept on the down-low and as dark as possible.

Happy haunting!
No worries, Prof. Take your time.

Looking forward to this!

David
I'm glad I got my order in - just in time it seems! I've already got a few of Rick's other products and they are impressive. I'm just waiting for the aeroplane to cross the ocean with it. OTOH - it may just materialize here of it's own accord ;)
All of you who got in your orders will not be disappointed. Those who waited and have missed out will forever be without the most brilliant piece of bookwork(is that a word) mentalism yet invented. I cannot imagine anything topping this, but of course something will.....someday. You deserve to be proud Prof BC. It is an outstanding contribution.
Rumor Control informs me that I was the purchaser of the very last copy. Talk about the nick of time! Now all I need is a monkey and a kiddy pool full of lime jello and my new act will be complete! Here's hoping for clear skies and reliable postal service!
PHANTOMS remains my favourite book from Outlaw. Many thanks Prof BC for making it available to others. I enjoy DarkSpell too and hope we'll get to see more from you in the near future.
The light is fading now, but the happy news is the day was beautiful, and the last of the PHANTOMS are currently 'curing' and will be posted Monday. (They came out beautifully).

PHANTOMS owners, don't forget the Outlaw forum. I will be posting there from time-to-time and would enjoy hearing from you with your experiences and ideas about performing PHANTOMS.

Hail the happy, haunted 100!
[quote]
On 2012-02-17 12:24, that'sJustWrong! wrote:
Rumor Control informs me that I was the purchaser of the very last copy. Talk about the nick of time! Now all I need is a monkey and a kiddy pool full of lime jello and my new act will be complete! Here's hoping for clear skies and reliable postal service!
[/quote]

You owe me a keyboard.

David
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 17, 2012 10:51PM)
I have this and never went to the forum. I guess that I should. LOL

I must quit buying book test! I do like the look and feel of this book.

Ray
This is a fabulous effect!! We who have it are very lucky. Treat it with respect; this one Rocks!
Prof, thanks for the update. Is it worth getting the manual before it arrives? Or should I wait to read it first?
Rick should send you the instructions/performance manual as soon as you've bought PHANTOMS. Read it up to the point where you are instructed to stop and wait for the book to arrive. Then read the book cover-to-cover (before learning the method) just to see how bomb-proof it is. Also, you will find that it tells a most interesting story. Personally, I think it is not only a good book test but a good book as well . . . but of course you will have to allow for my natural bias.
OK - I've emailed Rick to ask him to forward the manual. I can hardly wait for this (I put it down to being a Registered Tourist Guide for Oxford, amongst other things :) )
I remember the anticipation well, and remember how I had to summon up all my self-control to stop reading the manual when instructed. It was so worth it though. Thankfully I've always found Prof BC to ship items promptly, and my purchases have usually reached the UK in about a week.
Oops! Postal holiday today. Everything will go out Tuesday morning. Sorry for the muddle.
[quote]
On 2012-02-20 06:18, PROF BC wrote:
Oops! Postal holiday today. Everything will go out Tuesday morning. Sorry for the muddle.
[/quote]
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Worth the wait.....just hold on.
[quote]
On 2012-02-20 11:54, aligator wrote:
Worth the wait.....just hold on.
[/quote]

Sorry - I think it was my inner demon. :)
A lucky 100.......I hope no unwashed have secured such a treasure
Hey! No fair setting conditions after the check's been cashed, RCP!

-The Stinky Phantoms #100 Guy
The last of the PHANTOMS went out this morning. US buyers can PM me for tracking numbers. UK buyers, the usual wait is about ten days. Australian buyers please allow at least two weeks. Japan, experience says it will be 4-6 weeks at least.

Enjoy!
How long is the shipping from the us to europe?
Germany and Belgium can take as little as 4 weeks and as long as 10. Often it is a question of being held up in customs.
Is PHANTOMS still available?
[quote]
On 2012-02-16 19:04, PROF BC wrote:
The final PHANTOMS is bespoke, and the unholy 100 are now identified.
[/quote]
PHANTOMS is sold out, now and forever.

The only way to acquire one is on the secondary market, and it will (should) be sold for two-to-three times the original price.

I am not, however, finished developing new and innovative book tests.
Thanks for the update. I will keep my eyes open for an opportunity
Rich
[quote]
On 2012-02-21 12:37, PROF BC wrote:
[/quote]

BIG SMILE
I am thinking back. I check eBay every now and then...and look on the Café for what's being sold frequently. I think I only ever remember seeing Phantoms there...once?

David
[quote]
On 2012-02-21 13:28, minty wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

BIG SMILE
[/quote]

Minty, you are especially going to like what I have heading towards the crease.

BC
Please put some monkeys in the next one. Everything's better with monkeys. And cheerleaders. Except cheerleaders with monkeys. Thank you.
I am open to offers of $1000 for my copy. ;)
I'm not.
Me neither!! That would be an insult!
[quote]
On 2012-02-21 13:36, David Thiel wrote:
I am thinking back. I check eBay every now and then...and look on the Café for what's being sold frequently. I think I only ever remember seeing Phantoms there...once?

David
[/quote]

I only saw it once as well. . .
Can't imagine selling mine either, it's that good. I probably should have sprung for a second one as a backup though. Hindsight!
[quote]
On 2012-02-22 16:57, Bedford wrote:
Can't imagine selling mine either, it's that good. I probably should have sprung for a second one as a backup though. Hindsight!
[/quote]

You really think you'll need one? I've used mine a fair amount and it's still as good as the day I got it. Maybe even better! :)
[quote]
On 2012-02-22 23:42, afinemesh wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-02-22 16:57, Bedford wrote:
[/quote]

You really think you'll need one? I've used mine a fair amount and it's still as good as the day I got it. Maybe even better! :)
[/quote]

. . . the beauty of an aged prop--'age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety' to borrow from the poet.
This very morning I was summoned to my door by a heavy knock. A messenger, clad in red and black, held out at arm's length a mysterious package bearing the sinister imprint 'priority mail'. Thrusting it into my hands he hurried away, casting back small frightened glances over his shoulder. I tore open the package to find....

Yes, it's here!!!!! Looks great - smells awful! I'm reading it now - I'll report back later (assuming I'm not overly possessed by then).
[quote]
On 2012-02-21 13:43, PROF BC wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-02-21 13:28, minty wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

BIG SMILE
[/quote]

Minty, you are especially going to like what I have heading towards the crease.

BC
[/quote]

Can you give us a hint kind sir?
[quote]
On 2012-02-27 08:13, PhiltheBear wrote:
Looks great - smells awful!
[/quote]

^^That!

Just got mine. Perhaps it's the powerful spiritual aura coming off the book (#96), or maybe it's the heavy-duty solvents, but my head is currently spinning....

It looks amazing though. Very, very excited to read it as soon as the room stops spinning...
[quote]
On 2012-02-27 8:37, JAlenS wrote:
Can you give us a hint kind sir?
[/quote]

Depositum custodi.
[quote]
On 2012-02-27 11:01, MatCult wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-02-27 08:13, PhiltheBear wrote:
Looks great - smells awful!
[/quote]

^^That!

Just got mine. Perhaps it's the powerful spiritual aura coming off the book (#96), or maybe it's the heavy-duty solvents, but my head is currently spinning....

It looks amazing though. Very, very excited to read it as soon as the room stops spinning...
[/quote]

My first thought was paint thinners :) I hope it fades away fairly quickly cos it's pretty nauseating. I'm 1/2 way through reading the book now seeing if I can spot anything. I've got a few ideas - but I'll finish the book and then read the manual from the point that I stopped.

I have to congratulate Prof though - it's a very nice piece of work. Lots of little touches (Vol XIII I thought was particularly nice).
[quote]
On 2012-02-27 12:39, PROF BC wrote:
Depositum custodi.
[/quote]

Custard deposits?
[quote]
My first thought was paint thinners :) I hope it fades away fairly quickly cos it's pretty nauseating.[/quote]

Put 'er in the garage for a day or two. That'll do it! :)
[quote]

Depositum custodi.
[/quote]

Hmmm.I only know that from St. Paul (1 Timothy 6:20), which seems a really unlikely thing given most of the Outlaw-Effects products :)
[quote]
On 2012-02-28 10:22, PhiltheBear wrote:
[quote]

Depositum custodi.
[/quote]

Hmmm.I only know that from St. Paul (1 Timothy 6:20), which seems a really unlikely thing given most of the Outlaw-Effects products :)
[/quote]

The common source, to be sure, but not it. Keep searching.
Anything to do with M R *James* ?
[quote]
On 2012-02-28 11:34, JAlenS wrote:
Anything to do with M R *James* ?
[/quote]

much.
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

Ahhh the *treasures of the bizarre!?!?!?!
Awesome :)

Any idea of an ETA?
[quote]
On 2012-02-29 03:41, minty wrote:
Awesome :)

Any idea of an ETA?
[/quote]

Late May/early June. To the printers this week or possibly next. Then to the binders. Then back to me for aging.

Very, very special, this.
For myself would only use this in a Séance setting where I am apparently recieving messages from Spirit. I posted on the relevant page at the Outlaw forum an improved (IMO) "in" with the basic routine for those playing the role of a Psychic Medium, spent ages giving a good and logical script, posted it and the whole thing got lost in Cyberspace somewhere, said I did'nt have relevant permission or some such.. seriously sucks, don't have the time or inclination to type all that again LOL

Should have copied the routine to my clipboard, so I could have tried a couple of times.. so anyone else thinking of posting on the Outlaw forum be warned to copy it first :(

p.s. will edit to note this was another of those "why didn't I listen to that little voice in my head moments.. when will I learn?
German Folklore perhaps?
Not on this occasion ;)

I have used Runes with Luna twice, along similar lines I suppose of the tarot routine outlined in the manual, worked well and there was a scramble for a little 3 stone reading afterwards, which I did'nt charge money for but you could make some extra money that way if inclined.
Have'nt had Phantoms long enough to play around with it but Runes would work well with it, don't see why not.

p.s.I have a keybox and normally make use of the keys, on the Rune play around days though I used Ralph Blums Rune cards which have nice images as well as descriptions and numbers, get the spec. to attune to the pictures and numbers, as an aside you get taught how to give the 3 stone reading in the book that comes with the cards
Blueboy:
Please don't give up on the Outlaw forum! If you have an improved 'in' for PHANTOMS and a seance routine, I know we are all interested in reading same (even if you put in only an outline of the routine and the new 'in').

And be sure to post a 'heads up' here when you do, so the unholy 100 will know to go and have a look.

I'm looking forward to reading it.

BC
Yes please, Blueboy. Do tell. . .;)
Late to the party (again) but my Phantom arrived in the mail yesterday. I started to read it and was, in fact, duly impressed. A remarkable notion for a book test. Then my eyes started to water. "Joy of ownership?" you ask. Nope. The fumes were rising. :)

My copy is currently in the garage airing out a little.

:)

David
Good heavens! It arrived in the UK and Australia before arriving in Canada--and all sent out at the same time. Now we are truly in the realm of the bizarre.

David, surely *some* of those tears were of joy. Go on, admit it.
Parcels arrive everywhere before they arrive in Canada. Our customs is sooooo slow. But what I don't understand is why in Canada, I get a package from the UK in 5 days and from the US it takes 2/3 weeks. In fact, I am currently waiting on something that is into the 4th week.
I Have a customer in Belgium and he said it takes 2-3 weeks to get a package to him from the U.K.

"Mysteries of the Universe" Episode 17- The Postal system
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 13:45, David Thiel wrote:
David
[/quote]

My Darkspell spent a week in the garage. Nasty! ;)
Perhaps Canada and the US are in a Cold War.
[quote]
On 2012-03-03 13:45, David Thiel wrote: The fumes were rising. :)

[/quote]

Mine's still fuming! But it is getting less. I've had the time to go through it and the instructions and without wishing to swell heads - this is a work of genius. The major 'in' is fairly obvious - but only if you are familiar with OE's previous works and I did pick up on a couple of other issues. But I had hours with it and I was looking at it very hard in order to see what might be obvious to a spectator. I'm pretty convinced that very few people would rumble any of it. And it's so incredibly simple once you know. I bow the knee and doff the cap.
It took mine about a week of airing out to get to where I could open it without reeling. After that it was fine. I still get a little whiff of the chemicals when I open it (even after a few months), but since I haven't grown a second head or third eye I guess it's ok. It was well worth the wait in any event.
Ran Phantoms for the first time yesterday and it killed. By the way. if anyone should ask, T.A. had a pet monkey who was frightened off by the shade of D.R. I need you guys to back me up on that in case anyone should ask. Thanks.
We just moved into a new house and while I was going through piles of dusty junk to make some space in the attic I found a strange box...
[img]http://i.imm.io/kmEG.jpeg[/img]

Inside was a book called "The Town of Cambridge" by Arthur Gray, along with a book of minutes from an old, forgotten Cambridge society called "the E********** Club".
[img]http://i.imm.io/kmEI.jpeg[/img]

There were also a few old coins, a broken pocket watch and a couple of faded photographs of Jesus College. One of the coins bears the inscription "In Memory Of The Good Old Days 1768".
[img]http://i.imm.io/kmEJ.jpeg[/img]

I get a weird vibe whenever I go near the box. The minutes book has some seriously creepy stuff in it, but I can't bring myself to throw any of it out. What can it possibly mean?

You guys seem to know about this stuff. Can anyone help me with this? It's freaking me out a bit to be honest. Oh god, it's starting again, I can them speaking, I can hear a name, it starts with an 'r' I think.

R... R... No, wait it's 'A- R-', Ar... Ar... Arbunt? I'm not even sure that's a word. Does that make any sense to you? Please say it makes some sense. Am I just going mad here?
That is super. Love the box. The Arthur Gray book on Cambridge is a great touch! Good on you.
It's easy to be inspired when creators are giving us such incredible props and routines.

I'm really chuffed it gets your seal of approval Prof!
My love for Phantoms borders on indecent and may actually be illegal in several of the red states. I'm actually very discriminating on who I choose to share it with. Maybe it's my fraternal background, but there's a story to be told there and it's only shared with those who have the curiosity and attention span to appreciate it. For everyone else, look, here's a shiny quarter I plucked from your ear. Now begone, unworthy participant. I eagerly look forward to the occasions when I get to perform Phantoms.
I have been keeping my head in my copy of Phantoms over the last few days. (The scent has faded enough now that I can actually stand opening it. :) )

I placed my order for this more out of curiosity than an keen desire to use it, since my heart belongs to LUNA for small audience presentations. But everyone kept talking about what a remarkable product it is...and I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. So...with the available number of copies dwindling, I put my order in and wound up with number 97 of 100.

Phantoms has been called a work of "genius" by some and nary a disparaging word has been spoken about it. I see a number of "no doubt" reasons for this and as I look deeper and deeper into the brilliant-yet-simple design, I must admit I see genius here. Great genius that blends practial presentation with a pile of get-the-audience-to-pee-their-pants routine possibilities.

I am not often blown away by a prop. Phantoms has genuinely and sincerely done that.

Will it replace LUNA in my small audience "paranormal" events? Nope. I'm not messing with the highlight of my show. BUT I am thinking of several different ways that both could be done on the same program without having either one look like a "book test." I mean what's a paranormal presentation without a ghost...or two?

So thank you Prof BC and Outlaw for this outstanding prop.

You guys "get" the essence of blending storytelling with remarkable effect to build a prop that transcends its individual components. Phantoms (and LUNA) both create something much greater than their component parts.

I'm glad I own it...and would encourage any performer who doesn't own one of the 100 copies on the planet to keep an eye peeled for them when they come up for sale here on the Café...or anywhere else. Phantoms is a truly remarkable achievement.

David
If you are going to post multiple photos of the covers and bindings (with full titles) of our Outlaw publications in such an open forum, what is the point of anyone using the 'secret' codenames and all the s-p-a-c-e-s i-n t-h-e n-a-m-e-s?

Consider removing or editing the posts to show off your box as much as you want but conceal the specifics of title, color schemes, and distinctive appearance of most of the relevant volumes, please.

CHR
[quote]
On 2012-04-12 02:23, CHRousseau wrote:
If you are going to post multiple photos of the covers and bindings (with full titles) of our Outlaw publications in such an open forum, what is the point of anyone using the 'secret' codenames and all the s-p-a-c-e-s i-n t-h-e n-a-m-e-s?

Consider removing or editing the posts to show off your box as much as you want but conceal the specifics of title, color schemes, and distinctive appearance of most of the relevant volumes, please.

CHR
[/quote]

Yes we do not want the .000006% of the population lurking here, to find this post, scroll down and study the photo, memorize what the books look like, just in case they happen to witness a performance. Sheesh! I am all in favor of google proofing and non exposure, but the above post is going a bit overboard. As long as I cant google the tittle I am happy.

EDIT I am however NOT happy because a google search STILL brings up the Café as the second link!!!! ( nothing to do with the photos) I thought this issue had been fixed!
[quote]
On 2012-04-12 05:40, necroloid wrote:
[quote]
Yes we do not want the .000006% of the population lurking here, to find this post, scroll down and study the photo, memorize what the books look like, just in case they happen to witness a performance.

If any of the .000006% lurkers here,do scroll down and see this...
You could prolly talk me out of mine,for $500.00. She is kept in a airtight container to keep her original smell! :)
[quote]
EDIT I am however NOT happy because a google search STILL brings up the Café as the second link!!!! ( nothing to do with the photos) I thought this issue had been fixed!
[/quote]

I just tried the title, E********** C***, on Google and got no hits to this effect at all (after looking through the first five pages). When I Google The M*n*te B**k of the E********** C*** it does bring up a hit half way down the second page, but that is a holdover from the original mistake over which none of us has any control. Remember, too, that PHANTOMS is the underground name of the effect that the audience should never associate with the performance or book.

PHANTOMS is one of my signature routines as well as my invention, and I've never yet had the experience of an audience member outing my brain child with Google or hampering my show with an Internet hit. I feel quite secure with it from a performance standpoint.

(And, David, nothing will ever replace LUNA in our hearts or shows. LUNA is the classic, full stop. No argument here.)

Best,
BC
[quote]
On 2012-04-12 02:23, CHRousseau wrote:

CHR
[/quote]

Hi CHR.

I'm not sure what you're concerned about. Search engines cannot pick up the writing down the spine of a book in a photograph. The only way a lay person can see those pictures is by visiting this thread and if that happens, well, these photos, hidden in page 11 of the thread, will be the least of our worries, no? Especially given the fact that there are several very clear photos on page 1.

Google, and other search engines, work by searching text. This is why everyone in this thread has been careful to use asterisks appropriately in the text. I'm not sure how you think the internet works? Perhaps you can explain...

In fact, if you're interested in chasing people for posting the specifics of this effect, there's FAR more information in Vic's post on the first page of the thread than there is in mine. It's the fourth post on this page: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=373196&forum=14&315 There are also several very clear pictures of the book with all the [i]"specifics of title, color schemes, and distinctive appearance of most of the relevant volumes"[/i] - posted by Rick and Vic.

So maybe take it up with them. Be sure to let me know how you get on.
While contemplating selling a kidney to get my hands on a copy of PHANTOMS, I read Matcult's post and admired his set of props. Then just a few moments ago, I that noticed this volume was available on EBAY in anyone wanted to follow his lead.

http://www.amazon.com/The-town-Cambridge-Arthur-Gray/dp/B00085OU9O
Oops. I mean on Amazon.
Nice find!
When I created Phantoms seven years ago (can it be that long?) I promised to make 100 and no more. That promise remains inviolate, but the truth is this was my first stand-alone book test public release (I had been involved with Vic and others on Luna, but this was my own). I did not know how (or if) it would sell, so I had only 65 made and promised myself that, if they were successful, I would do up the other 35 later.

Phantoms has long been a favourite of mine. I have performed it many times, including at Doomsday several years ago. I have plans to present it at ECSS in 2018 (I was going to perform it during this past conference, but plans changed and I conducted the workshop instead).

But to the point of this posting:

I am *considering* whether or not to do the final 35 sometime in the next year or two, and this is what is on my mind:

1. Phantoms v. 2 would work precisely as the original but with a complete redesign of the cover and *look* of the pages (though with the same information and images)--fonts, primarily, would change. The cover would be different, and the overall size of the book as well.

2. Different ageing techniques than originally employed.

3. Updated performance manual (that would be made available to the original (or current) owners of Phantoms v.1) incorporating all of the new handlings and performance ideas that I have developed since 2010.

4. A unique CoA so there is no confusing v.2 for v.1

5. And, of course, it would not be an Outlaw offering but either Gemini Artifacts or Lebanon Circle Magic (or indeed both) would market this short-run version of the final 35 books.

My thinking is to keep Phantoms v.1 entirely different in look in order to maintain its unique character, collectability and value whilst releasing the final 35 with a different (though still antique and aged) look unique unto it.

The unique CoA is also necessitated by the fact that I do not actually remember which 35 numbers I left out of the original offering. I released something like numbers 1-40 and 76-100 (but actually more of a random collection of numbers than that) because I was at that time sending out books with requested numbers. When the 65 were all gone, I merely threw away the remaining CoAs and moved on to creating DarkSpell.

All of this is in aid of asking the following question: would there be any interest in a 're-issue' of the 'unsold' 35 Phantoms (augmented for better visibility in low-light conditions that would not in any manner be able to be confused with the original issue of 65 books)?

Best,
BC

(nb: I do not at this time actually know if this plan is feasible given the special needs of creating a 'short-run' of books through my printer and binder, but I thought I should send up a trial balloon here before taking even a first step in that direction. If you have your sights set on a secondary-market purchase of the original Phantoms, I would advise that you go ahead with that purchase. I am not at all certain that this idea will ever go beyond this posting!)
Count me in BC!
Frankly I am surprised there were only 35 Phantoms ever sold.
I think he said 65 were sold. He is considering creating the remaining 35.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Mar 4, 2017 02:33PM)
This would be wonderful! I especially appreciate your mindfulness of keeping the look/numbering separate so those that missed out (like myself) may have access to this excellent offering while not diminishing the uniqueness of those that managed to snag one of the originals.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 4, 2017 02:45PM)
I am all in.... I will buy a copy......

Rau
I am an additional commit.
I'll Buy
As a lucky 2nd hand Phantoms owner I would definitely buy a V2 Phantoms should you decide to !
I'd certainly want one of these.
I would certainly purchase one of these
This is very kind of you all, and I appreciate your enthusiasm very much indeed.

I have spoken privately to several Phantoms owners and am most eager to ascertain whether they would have any objections to such an offering. If a good reason not to proceed should emerge, that will kill this idea at once. I believe in 'dancing with the one who brought you', and current owners of Phantoms will pull a lot of weight with me regarding this. I will continue contacting and polling as many as I can remember and locate. Current owners (like Merlinsmagic) are warmly encouraged to post their thoughts here and/or PM me here (or on the Dopps forum if you are a member there) about this.

As I say, at this point I am only exploring the questions of feasibility--first with current owners of the 'original' (classic?) Phantoms, then with those who might be interested in a v.2 Phantoms, and finally with my printers and bindery to see if such a 'short run' is even practicable.

With appreciation,
BC
[quote]On Mar 4, 2017, PROF BC wrote:
...I promised to make 100 and no more
. ... so I had only 65 made and promised myself that, if they were successful, I would do up the other 35 later.
[/quote]

If this is what you promised, then I cannot understand why there would be a problem if you made 100.
I'm a V1 Phantoms owner (2nd hand) and I think it's a splendid idea. As V2 looks to be different, It wouldn't bother me if you did a full run of them. The V1's would still retain their uniqueness.
Thanks for asking but I think you should follow your muse wherever it takes you. :-)
I am an early purchaser of Phantoms, and I have no objection whatsoever to its continued production.
Full permission from me is granted, Professor.
Count me in please, Professor. As a purchaser of he original, I have no objection to this whatsoever.
Count me in, BC, if this happens. Please.
I own a v1 that I was able to track down second hand. It's marvelous. I've mentioned this to BC before, but the first time I read it, cover-to-cover *without* knowledge of what was going on behind the scenes... it genuinely chilled me.

I am intrigued by the redesign. Higher visibly in lowlight is a boon. Not only do I approve, as first edition guy, I have to admit that I want a shot at the update. A delightful predicament.
Please Prof BC, count me in as a purchaser should you indeed manifest the Ph@×t*ms again!
Thanks,
Bill Meeker ("Doc Ben")

:sun: :thumbsup: :exclaim: :readingbook: :applause:
Indeed a BC purchase is always a worthy investment (in your show and in the appreciation of all that goes into the production to make each Marvel)I Only own Spectre (working on the Haunted Hose BT) but aspire to dive into any forth coming BT as I'm in awe of all his work, so that would be a yea (fingers crossed it happens)
Completely, 100% in In IN!! I missed out on the original Phantoms, but this is one I have yearned to own and perform for a long time. What a delight to anticipate this--however, I must be cautious... the skinwalker's curse was not successfully passed on to Chad--it is still with me, and I have learned through my scrying mirror that this year will produce some wonders beyond compare from many of our beloved creators. (Must...cultivate...self-control...)
I would love this, as I traded my original phantoms for a copy of Ghost and would love to add a version back to my collection. Seth, I think you somehow successfully passed on the curse to me while also keeping it for yourself...
Yes indeed. I would purchase a copy without hesitation.
Best,
Francis
[quote]On Mar 4, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I think he said 65 were sold. He is considering creating the remaining 35. [/quote]

I just checked - My Phantoms COA is number 82.
[quote]On Mar 4, 2017, PROF BC wrote:
The unique CoA is also necessitated by the fact that I do not actually remember which 35 numbers I left out of the original offering. I released something like numbers 1-40 and 76-100 (but actually more of a random collection of numbers than that) because I was at that time sending out books with requested numbers. When the 65 were all gone, I merely threw away the remaining CoAs and moved on to creating DarkSpell.
[/quote]

Some will have numbers higher than 65 for this reason.

BC
Oops, I missed that part of the post! :-)
As long as I get to be on the purchase list I am going to be supremely happy...so no care about the number even if it is 666....!

:wow: :bigsmile:
No objection whatsoever as a V1 owner!
I have number 25. The idea of a version 2 sounds like a winner to me. A larger volume with larger printing would be great for seances. I would imagine that only 35 copies may be prohibitively costly to produce. How about allowing volume one owners an opportunity to purchase the new version with the same COA number (with proof of ownership). 35 new copies for anyone to buy plus as many replacement/ upgrade copies presold available to current owners as reserved. This way more than 35 copies could be made and getting a hold of Phantoms V2 will not be such a blood bath.
Steven , you have such good ideas, nobody like blood bath and nobody like unjust treatment. Your ideas look like a very fair compromise, I may have to stop sharpening the blade of my guillotine in this case.
But then more than 100 would exist...
[quote]On Mar 6, 2017, the Sponge wrote:
But then more than 100 would exist... [/quote]

I'm not sure if it matters. There will be 100 owners. Is the world any worse off if a few collectors own both versions of the same book? Please also keep in mind that PV2 may not happen at all if a run of 35 isn't enough to justify production. And how many of us PV1 owners will step up and preorder. I bet maybe a dozen or so. It may bump to run up to 50 copies and that could make pV2 a reality. Which imho is the goal here.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Mar 6, 2017 07:08AM)
[quote]On Mar 6, 2017, steven-gibson wrote:
[quote]On Mar 6, 2017, the Sponge wrote:
But then more than 100 would exist... [/quote]

I'm not sure if it matters. There will be 100 owners. Is the world any worse off if a few collectors own both versions of the same book? Please also keep in mind that PV2 may not happen at all if a run of 35 isn't enough to justify production. And how many of us PV1 owners will step up and preorder. I bet maybe a dozen or so. It may bump to run up to 50 copies and that could make pV2 a reality. Which imho is the goal here. [/quote]

There are some assumptions here that I'm not entirely certain are correct: chiefly, that V1 owners wouldn't exercise their right of first refusal simply to dump copies on the secondary market the moment they arrive.

The good Prof has stated simply that there will not be more than 100 of this book (in whatever incarnation)--which mean 35 remain. Given that, I suspect machinations to figure out a way to get more than 100 are moot. He's also already stated that if it's too costly to print 35, it simply doesn't happen.
I originally promised that I would make only 100, and only 100 will I make--unless the extra 35 prove impracticable for some reason, in which case Phantoms will remain at 65.

One thing that will stop this idea dead in its tracks is if it looks like it will create bad blood amongst my friends. That, to me, would be the ultimate impracticability.

If the stars align and I can make another 35, I will. Current owners seem fine with the plan (so far), but I have heard from fewer than half so it is hardly a green light at this time. Only after I hear from another seven owners (to the positive, that is) will I approach my printer and bindery. I will take their bids, collect my info, and post here what the retail price would likely be. If enough people step forward to say they are interested in it at (or around) that price (it will only be an estimate, but probably a close one), the project will move to fruition.

PMs are suggesting that I crowdfund this, but I am not comfortable with that for a variety of reasons.

I am already fearing the Judgement of Solomon will be required for this because I have many more than 35 friends-and-regulars, and I have apparently underestimated interest very badly. I would hate to disappoint anyone, but I am beginning to imagine that may be unavoidable. I will speak to Dan and Vic in the fullness of time because I value their wisdom and humanity. If we can craft a fair and equitable way to do this, then we can go forward.

But for the time being I really want to be clear that I will not violate my promise to create only the 100, and that means no more than 35 will be made available *if* this offering proceeds.

Please be patient and, above all, be nice to each other. There is much yet to work out.

Best,
BC
Prof BC, Very fair and diplomatic as always. Fingers crossed for PV2,
Looking forward v2 but doubt I'll be on the lucky list of 35 only. Who do I kill to replace? It's bizarre world, isn't it?
As I have written privately now to several of you, it has become apparent that it is just too risky to run up 35 copies and offer them out in any form: as trade-ins or additional copies to people who have already purchased v1? that would be unfair to persons who have been looking for a Phantoms for some time. I would shut them out in order to sell to people who already own a copy!

And what if I do restrict the offering to v1 owners and then forty of them turn up? Whom do I exclude? How would I decide? Oh, the muddle!

If, as some have suggested, I artificially inflate the price to put off some buyers (which is just not in my way of doing things), there would arise an unholy but very reasonable chorus of discontent over my elitism, gigging people out of money and closing out the sincere-but-cash-strapped performers.

Any plan, I now realise, would be sewing the seeds of division and discontent amongst some members of the community who need precious little encouragement to raise the red flag. It is in fact already occurring in my PM box, and I do not think they are wrong.

In short, what seemed a jolly good idea in the abstract now seems a proper snake pit!

Honourable retreat is the only viable option, I believe.

And a solution.

Not in anything like the near future, and certainly no earlier than next year, I propose to release a completely new book very similar to Phantoms, using the Phantoms method, but with a new story and a completely different looking book. Because it would not be Phantoms, I would make up a full run of these books and release this title as simply a new offering.

It would *not* tie-in with Dopps or Phantoms or any other book. It would be entirely a stand-alone (as Phantoms is).

However, as with Phantoms before it, I will need to write the entire book ab initio, beginning to end. This I do not mind, but it will take time. Lots. It is akin to writing a coded novel, so that asks some doing.

Please also understand that I will be on a hiatus from magic for most of the remainder of the year as I am going on sabbatical from my university very soon to work on my Renaissance digital database and (more to the interest of this community) my long-delayed biography on M.R. James for Cambridge UP. Therefore, most of the summer and all of the autumn and winter will see me trekking about the UK visiting collections from London to Yorkshire to Wales and points in between then dashing to Southern California to take up a fellowship at the Huntington Library in San Mateo. Along the way, I'll be dropping in on as many bizarrists as I can locate around the UK and along the I-20 and I-10 corridor between Atlanta and Los Angeles. PM me if you might be available for a cup of tea and magical talk in those areas.

Oh, and the Phantoms redux? I already have an 'underground' title for it and a theme: TERM LIFE. It will tell the infamous story of the W********y Tontine that could not be escaped even in death. Yes, a ghost story similar to Phantoms, but that is very much the point! There will be many additional goodies appended to TERM LIFE that will improve upon what can otherwise be done with Phantoms.

As for Phantoms: what is out there is all there will ever be of the E***las***g C**b from me. Full stop.

Good?

BC
Sad, but good. Looking forward.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 7, 2017 01:22PM)
Sound like a fair thing to do.

I had to sell my copy a good while back because I needed a little cash at the time. Oh how I miss sitting at the table with empty chairs as my Uhhuh...... friends sign in......

Ray
Indeed BC was sitting under the sword of Damocles , we morn the opportunity, but are a in agreement to your sense of fairness and reason
Quite sad indeed, but I too was wondering how on earth 35 copies of this would be able to be juggled amongst us all...

I was going to suggest a full run of a sister book about the infamous Never-Gonna-End Club out of Bunker Hill Community College, which is [i]near[/i] Cambridge (Massachusetts) so there would be that connection. They only had one meeting, so it would be a shorter book with easy memory work. But TERM LIFE sounds EVEN better, so I'm very happy about this workaround. :D

Kudos to Prof BC for his thoughtful, honorable, and (as always) creative solution. This sounds like it will be a wonderful effect that will exceed all expectations!

Seth
And in the meantime we have The Crystal Seance to look forward to... :)
Always a pleasure to see how a man of integrity does business. I think this is fantastic decision and everyone benefits from it. It will be a long wait, but as always, well worth it.

I envy your upcoming year BC. Enjoy your sabbatical and your travels...they both sound very enriching.
Prof BC, fair, just,and thoughtful to a fault. ***, I really wanted PV2. Understandable and we appreciate your position.

Oh, will we get to see the biography on MR JAMES? I just know that will be incredible!
Prof BC, fair, just,and thoughtful to a fault. ***, I really wanted PV2. Understandable and we appreciate your position.

Oh, will we get to see the biography on MR JAMES? I just know that will be incredible!
Not appropriate , but I could use an "Alice". Now that could be the ultimate. Think of the possibilities!
A fair and thoughtful decision. Looking forward to your future publications!
Cool! Go Perkins!
Always happy to hear smart man talking Prof BC.
[quote]On Mar 8, 2017, reese wrote:
Not appropriate , but I could use an "Alice". Now that could be the ultimate. Think of the possibilities! [/quote]

Ditto,....but I hope Prof BC, despite your upcoming busy schedule, we will see release of the "Double Al¡ce" by the end of Summer or early Fall???

:thanx:
I will be releasing my copy of Phantoms (#13) and listing it in the sale section in a few days.
If there is interest from anyone following this thread, please send me a PM.
Just please don't ask the sad reasons why :(
Bill Z./Balaram
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (May 2, 2017 11:25AM)
So do you guys think that a hotel desk type of bell would be cool to use with this? I weave the story and as each guest enters, they ring the bell with their ghostly hand. I also show the empty sign-in sheet before the little Seance, and once again, show it at the end where everyone can now see that written names had appeared that wasn't there a few minutes ago.

Thoughts?

Ray
[quote]On May 2, 2017, Magical Dimensions wrote:

Thoughts?

Ray [/quote]
Depends. are you doing a magic show?

spirits ring bell for every guest? too much. trick bell.

all names appear? magic trick

is there a way to focus on one name/spirit?

... Guest list introduced. You read off the names and ring the bell for them. Specators can see list.
have seance contacting spirit. during seance, bell rings. at end of seance, mark has appeared by name/name is now smeared as if water spilled on it/etc. further proof spirit has visited.

s
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (May 2, 2017 01:10PM)
Hey Sponge,
Yea, it does sound like a magic show.... I need to regroup and rethink things.

Thanks
Ray
I like the Sponge's thinking on this. If I'm following correctly, you could take a sort of role call and participants raise their hands as their names are called. You ring the bell each time. But for one name (arguably stronger in the middle or close to the end of the list, but not last)...no one raises his or her hand. Pause. The bell rings on its own. There is a name on the list of someone not physically present. You go on from there describing that person and his or her unfortunate demise.
Nice ideas.

For some reason the thought of a reception desk bell seems a little incongruous to me. I think I'd be more tempted to use something along the lines of the Cesaral Spirit Bell in this context. I can imagine the naughty boys using a small handbell in 1730, but the thought of them using a hotel bell jars a little with me. You mileage may vary.
I love this effect but I'm not using it. Best to find it a new home.
I've got it listed in the FS section.
Price reflects what I paid for it.
Message: Posted by: Some_Magical_Idiot (Jul 2, 2017 09:35PM)
After reading through this topic and others along similar lines, I feel like I am late to the party and I have a lot of catching up to do. It is hard to know where to begin...
Join the club!
Have no fear, gents. I'm quite certain that patience will be rewarded when Prof BC come out with TERM LIFE, the Phantoms follow up, next year or thereabouts... this is an item of high anticipation for me! All is not lost for we post-Phantoms late-comers..!

:D
Prof BC is doing a lecture on Phantoms at ECSS IV.
If there's any Phantom owners looking to part ways with this prize ... plz PM me.
That lecture is one thing I will deeply miss, not being able to make it this year... I anticipate it will be wonderful!!

:bawl:
Just bringing this to the top (especially after ECSS) ... any Phantoms owners looking to part ways .... please PM me.

Jeff
I think that most that saw the lecture if they don't already wish they owned Phantoms
Agreed! Seems like Phamtoms is our own crypto-currency or in your case Vlad, crypt-currency!
Forgive me for saying so, but focusing on Phantoms is missing part of the reason for the lecture. What was demonstrated at ECSS could be done with any book that gives similar information. I think part of the point was just to show us a way to reveal/frame/routine such a book. I think this type of routine could have been done with a Dopps or a Luna or a Lillian. It would be different of course, but could be similar.

s
I could not agree more!
No, didn't miss that in the lecture just didn't know the layers that were woven into the book and it exposed me to a deeper appreciation of it
as each of us given exactly the same item will all perform it differently, that was an early idea I had for an ECSS segment 5 or so performers given the same item and then seeing where they all went from there.
I guess my best explanation would be if you had never had chocolate souffle and only heard of it then got to sit down and see and smell and taste it , it doesn't diminish other deserts it just lets you into another world of appreciation :)
Phantoms remains my favourite Prof BC 'booktest'. An absolute gem. I love the setting and backstory, the large amount of information you can choose to reveal, and the simplicity of the basic method.

So nice to see Prof BC active on the forum and to read reports of his lecture at ECSS.

There were hints a while ago about a possible future Prof BC release, similar in someways to Phantoms, but with an American backstory. Any beans that can be spilt on that front?
Bean spillage? Let me see what I can do.

Some time ago I proposed making up the 35-or-so PHANTOMS that never were produced of the original 100. That thread exists (somewhere) and should answer any questions why that idea went by the wayside.

Replacing that idea came the thought of creating a PHANTOMS-like book based upon a 19th-century tontine that went wrong in dark and supernatural ways, with the working title TERM LIFE.

Modifying that, Perkins (bless him!) called my attention to a book entitled Interwoven: Letters from a Son to His Mother which purports to be seance letters written over the course of several decades from the deceased young man comforting his mother and describing Summerland in detail. This also seems an apt subject for the PHANTOMS method. I am currently calling this project 113.

I have already written out my 'construction' details (always the hardest part of creating a book effect) and await only the time to do the actual writing. Like PHANTOMS, either of these projects will require writing from the ground up as opposed to editing and coding existing texts (as is the case with GH*ST or Dopps).

However, time is not currently Prof BC's friend. The other fellow that shares this body is busy writing a biography of M.R. James and preparing four 'lost' Renaissance plays for publication, so 'he' is taking up all of the available keyboard time that 'I' could be using to create TERM LIFE and 113. Still, I have to admit that he seems very content with his academic pursuits just now, and it would be a shame for me to disturb him with my darker projects--he purrs so contentedly as he bangs on about M.R. James' time in Suffolk or how he got on at Eton that it does seem a shame to wrest him away from it.

Nevertheless, I know him well enough to suspect that he will need a break from it at some point, and both TERM LIFE and 113 should give him a nice rest from the academics when he needs it. As to when that might occur, we'll need to consult friends on this forum who own scrying glasses to learn the answer to that.

I'll be back in Cambridge and Eton this late spring-to-early summer collecting more for the biography, so my focus is on that project for the time being.

BC
Thanks, Prof BC, for an update on what's going on in your creative world. For now we will wait. Patience, after all, is a virtue.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2018, gothicmagic wrote:
No, didn't miss that in the lecture just didn't know the layers that were woven into the book and it exposed me to a deeper appreciation of it
as each of us given exactly the same item will all perform it differently, that was an early idea I had for an ECSS segment 5 or so performers given the same item and then seeing where they all went from there. [/quote]

Excellent idea.
Prof BC I for one would also like to know when you finish the MR James biography as that sounds very interesting
[quote]On Jan 19, 2018, the Sponge wrote:
Forgive me for saying so, but focusing on Phantoms is missing part of the reason for the lecture. What was demonstrated at ECSS could be done with any book that gives similar information. I think part of the point was just to show us a way to reveal/frame/routine such a book. I think this type of routine could have been done with a Dopps or a Luna or a Lillian. It would be different of course, but could be similar.

s [/quote]
So true! It was masterful and so fair away from a magic trick.
Could the James bio be Phantoms II ?