(Close Window)
Topic: Conversational hypnosis really work?
Hi, I have a doubt. Conversational hypnosis really work to induce a subject to a trance?I know that Erickson used it as part of therapy, but in the street or stage hypnosis show can be this a method to achieve mental effects like mind reading. Has anybody used Covert Hypnosis or Conversational Hypnosis in this way?.

Thanks.

Sorry for my English.
Hi mchiko07,

yes conversational hypnosis can work to create hypnosis. I certainly would not use it as part of a stage show. Happy to use it everywhere else in life though.

You require a complete structure to do this effectively. I use direct, indirect and emergency techniques (for when the direct and indirect has not done the job I expected it to). Some seem to think that trotting out ericksonian psychobabble will do it. It will not. Your job is not to confuse or confound it is to give suggestions, to plant ideas and test your work.

Recently we were out and a friend was demonstrating hypnosis with someone. A bystander watching with fascination said to me 'it is so interesting, I would love to know how to do that'. I said 'I tell you what is interesting, if the next drag on that cigarette was the best you have ever tasted'. He looked at me like I was nuts and had a puff. His eyes closed, big smile on his face and he verified it was very good :). I told him what might be even more interesting is if the next puff was the worst most rancid he had ever had. He looked at me like I was even more mad. Had a puff and coughed his guts up. I pointed out he was now in something of a predicament and might want to think twice before having his next puff :)

He did not know me as a hypnotist, I had not told him that is what I did. All we had to work with was some context, a lot of fascination and a direct suggestion.

Anthony
I use it all the time in business. And it has enabled me to do certain things like

Help Mercedes Benz dealerships break sales records in 14 days
Move 250,000 donation to 1 Million for a major charity
Got me into the EICC and sitting in and advising on the presentations for the bid to bring NATO Summit to Edinburgh
Other clients have been trained in persuasion which includes conversational hypnosis one of the a recruitment agent supplied all the labout for the Edinburgh Tram project..

Yes I think it works.
Direct suggestion will always work on some people, and then there are some people who will simply just do what you tell them to do.
They "might" be the same people.

Reg
I hope so.
Great story, Anthony! :)
Nice job Anthony. I did a similar thing using anchors. I installed an anchor on my friend so every time I tap a beat on my leg she will just start coughing just like it was her first ever drag on a cigarette. I just asked her what her first cigarette was like whilst tapping my leg, then when she said something like "i didn't like it" or "it made me cough" I just tapped a little louder. She got out a cigarette I started tapping again and she complained that the cigarette smoke was to heavy and started coughing. I just enforced it saying, "does it feel like, the more you smoke the cigarette the thicker and the harder the cigarette is to smoke".

I've tried using conversation to hypnotise but one ever made the person tired. I have used confusions techniques which I had more success with. I have a dvd on conversational hypnosis but my patter isn't shuttle or good enough to get someone into trace covertly
Robaiken - is the DVD any good? who is it by/what is the title?
thanks.
Thanks for yours answers. I know Igor Ledochowski have a course in Conversational Hypnosis. Do you know other source? Apart form Tranceformatcion and Patter 1 from Bandler. Or this are to good?
Superb experience, Anthony. Is any similar material included in your DVD "The Manchurian Candidate"?

Kind Regards,

Bill
"The Manchurian Candidate" = Movie by John Frankenheimer

"The Manchurian Approach" = DVD by Anthony
I won a contract with Mercedes benz using anchors. I allowed the director to talk about his favourate guy Jack Black of Mind Store fame for hours. He claimed working with Jack had enabled I'm to buy a yaght and a castle. I pulled him further into this trance until his face was red with excitement getting him to tell me every detail and how it felt. I would then say to him " that's right you know this stuff works" and would show an open palm in front of him. I did this on numerous meetings and anchored hos excitment.

On the final meeting he asked me how much for the days training. I was going to say 4k but for some reason 7k slipped out. He was outraged and started shouting at me. I said "you know this stuff works" and held out my open palm upwards. You could see it in his non verbal facial gestures confusion. He went silent pulled out his calculator and said " ahhh its only half a car extra from each sales person". Then agreed.

A major charity had got 250,000 donation just before asking me for my help. We found out what words they emotionally leaned on (personal trance words and anchors)corporate values.

I told them exactly what to say and do in order to fire off those anchors and then redirect the meaning of those words to give them more money. They needed 1million to secure the project. They came out with the full 1million plus many thousands of pounds worth of additional benefit they never knew existed.

I could go on all night about conversational hypnosis and real life practical examples of how it has worked for me and my clients..

But I guess most would rather talk about getting someone to cough..

cough! cough! gee its working! amazing that!
That is so cool mindpunisher I would love to be able to do that. The dvd I've got is called Training in Indirect Hypnosis by Stephen Brooks

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Brooks-Training-Indirect-Hypnosis/dp/B002DTRZA4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248330293&sr=8-2[/url]

I learn't how to do the smoking anchors in derren browns book "Pure Effect" which is out of print
I have that programme. I have had it for about 15 years its actually a very good programme!!! I love stephen Brookes... I think I paid 35 all those years ago its not went up. Its a real bargain.

I seriously want to create my own programme and may restart hypnotic persuasion courses. If anybody is interested here let me know. It will have to be after the summer before I can think about it.

But there will be no training like this anywhere. I may even license it.
I would go to it. I would like to learn from you. It sounds like you more than qualified.
Interested - yes.
but I doubt I could attend :(

on the subject of Stephen Brooks, I found this:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=63538&forum=106&post=3952644

and it seems like people concur that he was very good. That DVD is going on my wish list I think.
The interesting thing about the Brooks video is that he does not get anywhere with his subject until he gets more direct and demands hand levitation.

Watch it again and you will see.

Anthony
Do you mean that the indirect method isnt really as effective then?

on a scale of 1 - 10 (where 10 is the effectiveness of the direct method) where would you rate the effectiveness of indirect hypnosis?
Its been a while since I saw the video. I agree that he does do a lot of elaborate stuff that's not necesarry. But indirect hypnosis was always meant to be used with direct hypnosis. One of the main ideas was to start off indirect and move towards more direct commands. The idea was to create a smooth transition from one to another with the indirect suggestions starting the process. But if I remember right even his direct commands were mostly embedded in sentences.

I love watching Steve Brooks but I reckon 70% of what he does isn't needed. I have also heard from those that have seen him demonstrate that often he gets subjects he can't do anything with at all.

But I still think he is worth studying and the tape programme mentioned above is a great primer in indirect suggestion.

Bit l ike the martial arts. Study all the fancy moves then just use the ones that knock your competitor out.
Ant said

>>>>yes conversational hypnosis can work to create hypnosis<<<<

This where 99.5 percent of hypnotists make a mistake. They are in love with hypnosis. Your focus should never be on creating hypnosis that's just the tool. Your focus should always be on what you want to achieve. If you focus on what you want to achieve (like breaking sales records for Mercedes Benz) your unconscious mind will find ways to use hypnosis to do that. And from that will come new developments and insights that will make hypnosis much more powerful than you ever thought possible.
Until I manage to get a few successful inductions ( I mean attempts, not different types of inductions) under my belt, then my goal is to achieve hypnosis.

Do you think Im barking up the wrong tree?
No. Hypnosis is the process of communicating ideas. Focus on the ideas, not the process.
That's the problem with most street hypnotists their goal is to achieve hypnosis. And they get off on seeing someone slump forward and what they do after that is usually lame or pointless.

You should be creating bigger goals now like what you actually want to achieve with hypnosis and why you are doing it. That will drive you to learn all the basics faster. And much more.

Where do you want to use it? Do you want to make money? Develop an act? Hpw will your life change once you have these skills and are applying them?

What will you miss out on if you don't get them? get clear on why and what you want from it. Get charged by your bigger picture and go do it.
Very good advice Anthony and MindPunisher.

I believe the most basic learning in conversatioanl hypnosis is the daily persuasion. For example, when one wants to go see a movie with his girlfriend, but she wants to see other films, we always try to convince an indirect way. Make us aware of the indirect process in our communication, is one way to understand conversational hypnosis.
I learned it through chatting up women. I was a lot younger then. I studied all the Ross jeffries speed seduction stuff then came up with my own stuff. Ive studied lots more soures since then. And I have to say the speed seduction did work. Although you need a new programme speed dumping as it turned some into loony stalkers.

Its dangerous stuff. You also need to keep looking over your shoulder for irate boyfriends. I don't ever use it (knowingly) these days.
[quote]
On 2010-07-23 11:26, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
No. Hypnosis is the process of communicating ideas. Focus on the ideas, not the process.
[/quote]

Would you mind to elaborate on that?

Best,

Lexa