(Close Window)
Topic: I need your experienced recommendations ...
I want to add a new book to my library. I have narrowed it down to a few and I would like your recommendations. My criteria are as follows (in order of importance to me) Ė

Thought Provoking
Performance Ideas, Tips and Secrets
Mixture of Card and Non-Card Topics
Useable Effects
Joy of Reading
Timely (not dated)
(Surely some will not agree with these criteria for making a choice, but itís whatís important to me.)

Iím considering the following books Ė

Smoke & Mirrors
The Secrets of Al Baker
Carneycopia
Book of Secrets
Greater Magic
Dai Vernonís Book of Magic

Thank you very much for your opinions and recommendations!
Bob
This would really depend on what it is that you want. Based on what you have stated as your criteria, I would probably have to reccommend Carneycopia to best fit, but I say this without having read Book of Secrets.

All the books you have mentioned are worth having, as is anything by Vernon or Baker and Greater Magic is a great reference book that is full of tricks -- but my personal favorite is Smoke and Mirrors! IMHO Smoke and Mirrors is one of the best books that ever came out -- it is filled with GREAT usable material for the performing magician!
:thumbsup:
I second [i]Carneycopia[/i], as it fits your list exactly! From the opening essay on you will be more than satisfied.

[i]Smoke and Mirrors[/i] is next on my personal list and it is a fairly inexpensive book.

[i]Greater Magic[/i] and the new Al Baker book are in a different category of books for my library. I am very eager to aquire both in time!
The Book of Secrets also definitely meets your criteria. I haven't read Carneycopia, so I can't compare the two.
That is funny because I was reading Smoke and Mirrors about 10 minutes ago. And I consider that Carneycopia and Smoke and Mirrors are two pretty good books.

VCM
Bob,

All of those books should make it into your library at some point or other. However, the one book which DEFINITELY meets ALL of the criteria you suggest is John Carney's BOOK OF SECRETS. It is a fabulous book and study of it's contents and routines will reap rich rewards. The book will be considered one of the finest magic books ever written. The praise for it is universal! Get it now!
I am with Martino on this one. If you had to buy only one book on your list my vote would go to "The Book Of Secrets" by John Carney. It is not subtitled 'Lessons In Classic Conjuring' for nothing. This is the one book on your list that meets all of the criteria that you have listed. I have all of the other books that you listed, except "Greater Magic" and really believe that they are all worthwhile.
Carney's latest book, [i]The Book of Secrets[/i], is currently OOP. He is re-printing it now I believe. It is also the "Book of the Month" over on the Genii forum right now.

I can't wait to get it as I love [i]Carneycopia[/i].

Here is the link to information concerning [i]The Book of Secrets[/i] on Mr. Carney's website:
http://www.carneymagic.com/books.htm
Thank you all for your comments and recommendations! I'm now on the hunt for Book of Secrets. Does anybody know where I can find a copy? Thanks.
Bob
Hello,

The Bannon book and Carneycopia do not offer as great a mixture of cards and non-card items as the others. For a brand new classic, I would go for Book of Secrets. But in reality, I prefer the Baker book and Greater Magic. In fact, you will have to consider adding all of these books to your library in due time. I have them all, and could not be without any of them! As for Book of Secrets, you will probably have to wait for a reprint, as used copies do not pop up often on the market. Quite a testimony in such a marketplace!!!

Martin
Thanks for your insight Martin. I'm still looking for Book of Secrets. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find a copy? Thanks.

Bob
The books you mention are all Brilliant.Good choices-Buy them all.
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net