(Close Window)
Topic: Thumb tip silk improvement
Message: Posted by: TKE (Aug 5, 2010 11:11PM)
I'm looking for techniques using a TT and silk that will fool those that already know of it. Any listed sources would be great.
Message: Posted by: Brian Tanner (Aug 6, 2010 12:22AM)
Try a finger tip!
Message: Posted by: BaoHoang (Aug 6, 2010 12:47AM)
You can do other things with a tt than the Silk trick. My magic teacher put a cigarette and put it in a jacket. We tough that it was going to burn but it vanished. Before teaching the trick, he told us that he used a tt painted in blue white and red. Wow. When you don't expect it you don't see it
Message: Posted by: yin_howe (Aug 6, 2010 01:21AM)
Check out the "Eclipse Tip" by Jay Scott Berry
Message: Posted by: Bill Palmer (Aug 6, 2010 02:29AM)
[quote]
On 2010-08-06 00:11, TKE wrote:
I'm looking for techniques using a TT and silk that will fool those that already know of it. Any listed sources would be great.
[/quote]

[i]Bob Blau's World of Magic[/i] has my silk vanish and recovery routine in it. So does the November 1999 issue of the Linking Ring. You can also get it in my lecture notes [i]How to Work as a Renaissance Festival Magician.[/i] The notes also have my bill in lemon routine and some other excellent material.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Aug 6, 2010 10:22AM)
Use the silk poke instead of a TT.
Message: Posted by: walid ahumada (Aug 6, 2010 10:27AM)
You can also use a sixth finger.
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Aug 6, 2010 10:41AM)
Check out David Williamson's work too.
Message: Posted by: Bill Palmer (Aug 6, 2010 10:41AM)
PM'ed you.
Message: Posted by: Donal Chayce (Aug 6, 2010 04:57PM)
You'll find some terrific out-of-the-box handling taught on Alexander de Cova's [i]Examining the Thumbtip[/i] DVD.
Message: Posted by: Bill Palmer (Aug 6, 2010 05:25PM)
Correction to my post. The thumb tip work appeared in the January 1997 issue of MUM.
Message: Posted by: walid ahumada (Aug 6, 2010 07:26PM)
I am not sure the name of this magician, but is the one with a red silk at 0:25 in this demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpWdGiiKAfA&feature=related

he does a nice routine to fool those that already know the classic vanish.
Message: Posted by: TKE (Aug 6, 2010 08:40PM)
Thanks for the input. I am looking ONLY for subtleties, routines and tips for using a TT and SILK. I am well aware of other effects and other tips. But I need specifically a TT and silk advice. Thanks
Message: Posted by: Donal Chayce (Aug 7, 2010 01:05AM)
Asked and answered.
Message: Posted by: funsway (Aug 7, 2010 06:26AM)
PM me -- I have a couple of moves I have never seen on any DVD or in any book. Doesn't mean they are original though. No way of knowing what you already know.

I'm a bit bothered, though, that you think the purpose of magic is to fool people who already know about TT's. Most spectators today have never seen a live magician and will be entertained and mystified by a good presentation with no thought of method.

If you post exactly who your intended audience is you might get more useful responses.
Message: Posted by: raywitko (Aug 7, 2010 06:55PM)
Just because it is called a T.T. doesn't mean you have to wear it there. I used to use it all the time and very rarely was it where it was supposed to be.
Ray
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Aug 7, 2010 09:51PM)
Unfortunitly we cannot explain secret handling in this open forum, maybe you could post in the Banquet Secret Section of the Café.

I have seen most beginners give really bad presentations of the Vanishing Silk. They signal they are hidding something and fumble around like they are don't know what they are doing.

There is one handling which most do not use, but is very deceptive. It is very simple. Remember the TT is never to be seen and if so only from the tip of end view.
Message: Posted by: Whit Haydn (Aug 7, 2010 10:53PM)
The Sophie Evans DVD put out by Kevin James has a slew of wonderful techniques and routines for the thumb tip. Featured on the video are myself, Larry Jennings, Peter Pit, TA Waters, Steve Valentine, Billy McComb, Daryl, Earl Nelson, Sophie Evans, Kevin James, and many others.

It is one of the most valuable and interesting source of original moves and routines for the Thumb Tip ever produced. I highly recommend it.
Message: Posted by: Michael Peterson (Aug 11, 2010 07:15PM)
[quote]
On 2010-08-06 20:26, walid ahumada wrote:
I am not sure the name of this magician, but is the one with a red silk at 0:25 in this demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpWdGiiKAfA&feature=related

he does a nice routine to fool those that already know the classic vanish.
[/quote]

It's Alain Nu.

[quote]
On 2010-08-07 23:53, Whit Haydn wrote:
The Sophie Evans DVD put out by Kevin James has a slew of wonderful techniques and routines for the thumb tip. Featured on the video are myself, Larry Jennings, Peter Pit, TA Waters, Steve Valentine, Billy McComb, Daryl, Earl Nelson, Sophie Evans, Kevin James, and many others.

It is one of the most valuable and interesting source of original moves and routines for the Thumb Tip ever produced. I highly recommend it.
[/quote]

Any more info on this Whit?

A search for Sophie Evans turns up an adult actress :)

Mike
Message: Posted by: Whit Haydn (Aug 11, 2010 07:41PM)
This is the Sophie Evans who is a lady magician located in Las Vegas, she is currently working with Amazing Jonathon, and used to work with Kevin James. The DVD should be available from dealers, or directly from Kevin James.

She will be performing in the Palace of Mystery at the Magic Castle Aug 23-30.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1177878492&ref=ts
Message: Posted by: Michael Peterson (Aug 11, 2010 07:59PM)
Thanks Whit!


Mike
Message: Posted by: KirkG (Aug 12, 2010 03:35PM)
Nuts! Dashing my hopes Whit. LOL
Message: Posted by: magicians (Aug 12, 2010 04:25PM)
In my lecture, I insert the silk into a second silk or jacket, then light a match and have a puff of fire flash from the inserted area. The silk has vanished in a puff of fire.
I also reverse the procedure and have a silk appear from a fire flash.
--Original method, 1975, PM me if interested.
Message: Posted by: walid ahumada (Aug 12, 2010 05:11PM)
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 20:15, Michael Peterson wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-08-06 20:26, walid ahumada wrote:
I am not sure the name of this magician, but is the one with a red silk at 0:25 in this demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpWdGiiKAfA&feature=related

he does a nice routine to fool those that already know the classic vanish.
[/quote]

It's Alain Nu.

[quote]

Thanks for remaind me.
Message: Posted by: Foxbiz (Aug 12, 2010 07:44PM)
John Riggs (before he was better known for his mentalism act) printed lecture notes that had a handling of the TT. It consided of rolling the silk and TT in the palm so that it moves into the TT.
Can't think of the name of the notes... sorry (it included his solid cup routine).

Lynn Fox