(Close Window)
Topic: What's your non magic related hidden talent?
I was messing around with my own hidden talent the other day and thought 'I wonder what other peoples hidden talents are?'

So now I am asking... And to start off with I'll tell you mine: I can write on grains of rice. Don't know where or when I found the talent, don't even know why, but I can.

So what's your talent that not too many people know about? Can you lick your elbow? Can you spit fire? Drink a beer in one gulp? Scuplt? Not your job, not your magic, just that odd thing that you can do....

-J-
My question is what made you pick up a grain of rice and try writting on it?

My talent is as a mimick. I can mimick voices and accents. I had a contest against a clerk of mine who is fluent in French (he was a missionary there to save their heathen souls, he failed) vs me who speaks no French. The judge was from France. I won because, as the judge said, while I was speaking jibberish I had the accent down while the other guy sounded like an American speaking French in a monotone.

My lil' ol' chubby wife can lift her leg over her head, which freaked her doctor out.
I dunno really Santa... I had a .005 pen and I was seeing how small I could go.... The rice was on the cabinet and I decided what the heck.

-J-
Dang you, now I want to find a pen to try it!
Lol!!! steady hands brudda, steady hands. (and a magnifying glass)
Like Santa, I also mimic accents. When I perform straight "magic", my character is a bit of a con man from Blackpool. When doing bizarre magick, I am Romanian (it helps that I speak Romanian)

I have British, Welsh and Scottish acquaintances who talk to me about "home" all the time. It is getting so that I use the Blackpool accent so much that it is starting to creep into my "American" voice.

Italian accents are easy because I grew up hearing them and I HAD to learn Italian.

But for the life of me I cannot do Australian for any longer than three seconds.

*GRINS* Accents open many more things besides doors.

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: Judah, what you are doing with grains of rice is a very honored art form. Rice grain sculptures are also amazing.
I do a great Russian accent...
I do wonderful imitations of the voices of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. My Millard Fillmore needs a little work, but is passable, and if you don't listen too closely, it sounds as if he were talking on the telephone.
I'm an amateur internet troll, but it's only a hobby...
For Millard Fillmore you have to make it nasal.
The only other things I'm good at are singing and pool.

Not that it's a "hidden" talent as anyone who knows me knows that I sing. I'm really into Barbershop Music and other style of A Cappella Singing. I'm a member of The Vocal Majority Chorus based here in Dallas, Texas. The chorus has won the World Championship of Choral Music 11 times (ten of those wins were consecutive).

For more information on The Vocal Majority, visit us on the web at http://www.vocalmajority.com. For more information on The Barbershop Harmony Society, visit them on the web at http://www.barbershop.org.

I have always enjoyed pool. When I was younger, I played semi-pro on the 9 ball circuit back in Virgina. I play on and off today whenever I have time. My biggest thrill was being able to play and talk trick shots with both Tom "Dr. Cue" Rossman and Mike Massey.

Two years ago, I was actually performing at a gig and Mike Massey was there doing a trick shot show. It was nice to see him again...

Christopher
Licking my eyebrows.
Martial Arts, Acting and Hip Hop.

Not really hidden, but not really Magic as well.

Now if I could do them all together, we'd have some kinda ROUTINE! :P
Figure kit building & painting; dioramas.
Sleeping and eating...
I am one of the best radio jugglers in the world. I do not juggle radios, but I perform juggling tricks while on the radio, and I have never dropped while performing on the radio.
There isn't much call for it but I can easily write backwards. I can also write backwards and forwards at the same time (using two hands). I used to write and draw with both hands but I try to stick with my right hand now because it helps with the dyslexia.

- Mary Mowder
Bullwhip tricks.

Seriously.
That sounds pretty cool Mary!!!
I can swallow air and make loud, fairly long burps anywhere at anytime and even during beatboxing.

I can mimic the mouth movements and speech of those guys in the 8mm Kung Fu movies.

I can eat 60+ slices of fried Bacon on a whim.

I used to be able to suck an entire bottle of Cisco through a straw in under a minute and a half.
Thanks Judah
What do you write on the rice?

To those who do accents, when the ability to tell a joke combines with good accents IT IS GREAT!

Donal, Bullwhip tricks are cool!

rawdawg, one of your skills sounds hilarious.

- Mary Mowder
I can walk into a bar when it opens with $20 and leave at closing with the same $20. I'm funny and people like drinking with me.

If they don't think I'm funny, I wake up all bloody in the alley the next morning.
Mary,

Whatever come to mind. Names, cards, phrases if the are short enuf. I have 52 grains of rice with, you guessed it, the names of the cards in a deck. Three word phrases are all I can get on one side of rice grains, like ilove you or I hate you or the like. I dallied in drawings but have not really done anything goo yet......

-J-
I play jazz trombone. Started when I was 9 and got seriously into jazz around 12. Not as serious as I used to be, but it usually adds to the conversation when "Who plays what?" comes up. On a related note, after playing music for 25 years, I'm making my first recording in 3 weeks. Nothing spectacular, just a backup horn section for a band. Really looking forward to the experience.
I make some wicked nachos and frozen margaritas to go with them.
[quote]
On 2010-08-17 20:48, Mary Mowder wrote:
There isn't much call for it but I can easily write backwards. I can also write backwards and forwards at the same time (using two hands). I used to write and draw with both hands but I try to stick with my right hand now because it helps with the dyslexia.

- Mary Mowder
[/quote]

Did you stutter as a kid? Just curious...good friend of mine in school was a stutterer, and he could write two different sentences simultaneously (and legibly!), one with each hand.
Dear lobowolfXXX,

Yes, I did, In fact due to that and a speech impediment on top of that very few adults could tell what I was saying 'till I was about 4. I talked a lot but they couldn't understand it. It cleared up in Kindergarten (YEA!). That's when the long left right nightmare began.

I'd just like to go on record as saying that "Your other left" is the most unfunny joke ever!

I now only stutter when under real stress.
Hope your friend got over the stuttering as well.

What's your talent?

- Mary Mowder
I'm right handed but do most things left handed because my family is all lefties and that is how I was taught. I can barely write a sentence.
I'm just really attractive.

It's really hard to hide that, but I do.
[quote]
On 2010-08-17 19:32, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Figure kit building & painting; dioramas.
[/quote]

Kewl! Me too. I mostly paint Warhammer models these days (and also play the wargames), but I've been known to puck up a Revell or a Monogram kit every now and again when they release a good repro "Rat Fink" or "Famous Monsters"...
Did you say Rat Fink or Famous Monsters? You rock Gaddy!
That's some old schoolness!!
Talents? Besides magic? Well, I play guitar, sing, draw and paint, write poetry, do vocal impersonations and dialects, ventriloquism, act, (But I don't dance or do mime) and I'm fairly good at chess.

My G.F. thinks I have some other talents, but I can't talk about them on a public forum such as this. :)
I used to build entire cities out of LEGO blocks in my garage.
[quote]
On 2010-08-17 20:35, Al Angello wrote:
I am one of the best radio jugglers in the world. I do not juggle radios, but I perform juggling tricks while on the radio, and I have never dropped while performing on the radio.
[/quote]

how many balls? 15 I bet

Al taught me to juggle and I can clap with one hand
What's it sound like? It seems quite a few people want to know...
Tolerating others.
Danny, thank you for finding the most important talent within yourself....I'm touched.
I think some are not understanding in what I mean by hidden talents....... I mean the stuff that is not common. Those things that you do that your not sure why you learned how to do it. Maybe the talents nobody really knows you have. Maybe not something you do frequently but still know how to do. Your odd little talent......
I can't see my feet when I look down! Wait...that is cuz I'm fat....

I actually do have a strange thing I can do but I don't consider it a talent. I can turn my feet almost directly backward, I can do one all the way at a time, if I go both, which I can, I fall over. No kidding. I use to do it on the bus, I'd have one foot facing forward the other twisted around to improve balance, cracked 'em up in Brazil.
Holy crap!!! I forgot I can do that too... But that is the kinda stuff I am talking about!!!
I also can write backwards. Like Mary, I also stuttered as a child, unlike Mary I cannot write two sentences at the same time with both hands!

In fact, I write my diary backwards so that I know no one can "accidently" read it.
I could tell ya', but then ya'd have to kill me...
Can you type a sentence in what backward would look like? I don't know if you mean the entire sentence is backward and the words spelled backward or just words in normal order.
Most times they write completely in reverse... Letters and all. So if you held it up to a mirror it would read correctly....

-J-
[quote]
On 2010-08-20 19:22, MagicSanta wrote:
Can you type a sentence in what backward would look like? I don't know if you mean the entire sentence is backward and the words spelled backward or just words in normal order.
[/quote]

In my case, I start at the right side of the paper and everything is in reverse order.
The line above would look like this

.redro esrever ni si gnihtyreve dna repap eht fo edis thgir eht ta trats I ,esac ym nI

Except the actual letters would be reversed as well, but I can't do that in typing.

Or in short, what Judah said.
In my case it would look like handwriting in a mirror. I usually avoid printing when I can because bs and ds and ps and qs can turn out wrong (more so in the past).

- Mary Mowder
Wow...I couldn't do that on my best day if I concentrated. The only writing thing I can do, which most people can do if they try, is if you hold a pencil in each hand and write with your dominant hand (the one in leather) the other hand will duplicate what you are writing.
Santa,

If you move your hand from right to left while writing normally it will happen all by its self.

- Mary Mowder
I can sing any song with the tune and the lyrics out of sync. In other words, the words of the lyrics are one beat off the actual song melody. Pretty stupid, but it annoys the hell out of a group when we sing Xmas Carols.
I am a trained cook , I guess that would only be of interest, if you are hungry
I AM hungry! The curse of poverty.....
I get people who have really nice things hooked on drugs, and then offer to buy their things later down the road for cheap.

Just kidding, actually I just surf the web.
[quote]
On 2010-08-21 16:22, MagicSanta wrote:
Wow...I couldn't do that on my best day if I concentrated. The only writing thing I can do, which most people can do if they try, is if you hold a pencil in each hand and write with your dominant hand (the one in leather) the other hand will duplicate what you are writing.
[/quote]

I heard that if you write with your left hand it feels like someone else is writing.

My primary talent is lifting heavy stuff. I'm actually better at that than I am at magic.
Contest! Who got the joke from Critter?? eh? eh?