(Close Window)
Topic: Farewell Michael Been
I don't think anyone knows who Michael Been was, he died this last week of a heart attack while in Belgium with his son who is in the band Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Michael was the lead singer and guitarist of a great band out of Santa Cruz Ca called The Call. I don't think they made much of a name outside the bay area and college radio but they should have, great great band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=272T8hZUqcs&feature=related

Their other music is great as well.
I couldn't have picked him out of a lineup, but I liked "Walls Came Down" when it got heavy airplay in the 80's. Although I didn't listen to much of their stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if they were an underrated band that mainly just hit the college market. See also: Husker Du.
I know who he was, and who The Call were.

I loved "Reconciled", "Into the Woods", "Let the Day Begin", and "Red Moon". I listened to the tapes over and over.

Michael also played "John the Apostle" in "The Last Temptation of Christ." He was one of the reasons I went to see the movie.

- Donald
I use to see them in clubs, Santa Cruz had a huge club where bigger names played, same with SF. He was very talented.
Caught them in the 1980's. Great band.