(Close Window)
Topic: Play Dead
Playdeadnyc.com
We are coming up on the start of the workshop performances in Las Vegas. We are doing a last dress rehearsal on Sunday and then the run starts on Tues. 9/14. We run until 9/24 and then we jump to NYC. Previews off-Broadway in New York start 10/21 with 11/10 being our opening night. I hope to see you at the show.
Darnit! I thought you were talking about my favourite band!
Can't wait, Todd.
Very excited about this!
We did our first real run-through tonight will full lights, sound, music, costumes, blood, rat, sulphuric acid, blood, corpse, raven, darkness, spirit trumpet, gore stained kimono, ragtime music, blood, broken light bulb, channeling, blood, cemetery dirt, nudity, cremains, ectoplam and blood. It was a bit rough, but it's amazing what flaws can be covered if you have enough blood spattered about. Tomorrow we will do another run-through and a final dress rehearsal in the evening. The workshop performances being on Tuesday and run until Sept. 24. If you are in the Vegas area and want to see on of the performances, PM me.

"You're never so alive as when you are scared to death."
Congrats on first run through!

I'm planning ahead for a babysitter to go see this!
It will be an ordeal in kid logistics but I do plan to attend in NYC.
Can't wait to see this in NYC!
Todd in NY POST!
Hooray!

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/angels_demons_dx6qHczEkkk5oqmxLlEAfK
This is going to be a great show. Some scary freakin stuff will happen in that theater.
We have on more workshop performance to go here in Vegas, then it is all packed up and sent to NYC. This has been a real challenge, but most of details on the show have been worked out. You will never know what a toil this process has taken on all the good folks working on this show. Some of them worked so hard that they almost went beyond "playing" dead.

I invite everyone to come see the show in NYC. We start previews on October 21st at the Player's Theatre in Greenwich Village and open November 10th.

"Thoughts are fertile ground in which to plant the seeds of fear. Then we sit back and watch terrror blossom."
Congratulations.
[quote]
On 2010-09-24 02:36, Todd Robbins wrote:
We start previews on October 21st at the Player's Theatre in Greenwich Village and open November 10th.
[/quote]

Will this be an open run?
[quote]
On 2010-10-02 12:07, MrWoodrow wrote:

Will this be an open run?
[/quote]

October 21st thru January 16th
Actually it will be an open ended run, but the show is "built" with Ticketmaster only until January 16th. If it hits, then we will run it as long as we can. I plan on turning my role over to my son after thirty years.
Break a leg & toi, toi, toi!
Pssst! Come over here into the shadows. If you go to http://www.ticketmaster.com, serch for Play Dead and put DYING2CPD in the discount code window, you can save some moolah. And if you have already bought tickets at full price, let me know. Can't do a refund, but I'll make it up to you(wink,wink).
Hey Mr. R,

How'd the event at the Barnum Museum go last night?
It was a nice night. Boy, that tornado did a lot of damage to the old building. All events are being held in the exhibit center in the bank building next store. It was great being around Kathy Maher. We have done some TV shows together. She is almost single handedly keeping that place going.

Now, that is out of the way and we go back to focusing on unholy resurrection.
[quote]
On 2010-10-05 13:04, Todd Robbins wrote:
Pssst! Come over here into the shadows. If you go to http://www.ticketmaster.com, serch for Play Dead and put DYING2CPD in the discount code window, you can save some moolah. And if you have already bought tickets at full price, let me know. Can't do a refund, but I'll make it up to you(wink,wink).
[/quote]

Now you tell me. I already forced my girlfriend to buy me tix last week for my birthday because I wanted them in my hot little hand poste haste.

Ah well, what she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Darn it, I want to go. Too much work and not enough vacation.

Decomposed
Deep Below
As I stated, I will do a little something special for you to make it up to you. And I will be glad to do something for your girlfriend too. I am such a "giver".

PM me and let me know when you are coming.

Todd

[quote]
On 2010-10-06 19:22, Tokyo Williams wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-10-05 13:04, Todd Robbins wrote:
[/quote]

Now you tell me. I already forced my girlfriend to buy me tix last week for my birthday because I wanted them in my hot little hand poste haste.

Ah well, what she doesn't know won't hurt me.
[/quote]
Congratulations and Break legs tonight Todd on your first night of previews!
Ditto from me, Todd. Hope it's a smash. So wish I could be there to see it.

Mark

Somebody please post links to the reviews as they appear.
Dearest Todd;

Break a leg!!!!
Love
Dick Brookz & Dorothy Dietrich
Thanks for the good wishes. We all are very pleased with the first preview. The reviews won't be in until we open on Nov. 10, but some of the press is beginning to hit. Here's something:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/2010/10/21/2010-10-21_play_dead_teller_and_todd_robbins_offbroadway_show_creeps_up_your_neck_literally.html
I'm seeing this tonight, and I can assure you, I'm doing my excited dance right now.

Of course, some of that could be the giant cup of coffee I just drank.

But mostly it's excitement.

See you tonight,
-TKW

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 10:51pm
Well, I have to admit, the evening was every bit as fun as I'd hoped. No reviews yet, per se, as I don't want to spoil anything. But if you're a fan of the spook show genre and live in the greater NYC area, I strongly recommend you get thee to Play Dead. Needless to say...

...it's just like Mary Poppins.
Thanks Tokyo. We had fun tonight. There were a couple of mis-steps tonight, but I actually enjoy dealing with them. And the people I used from the audience were great. It was nice to say hello to you, though it was too too brief. Next year you need to go out to Coney Island for the beard and mustache day they do out there.

See you down the road.

Todd
Nice writeup by the Associated Press in my Sacramento Bee this morning:

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/30/3145356/play-dead-draws-on-seances-old.html

Sure wish Play Dead were running on the West Coast. I'd be there in a shot.
Hi All

I saw the show last night and I cannot say enough good things about it! Todd was terrific, the magic was great and the audience screamed with terror and delight.

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
http://www.MagicQandA.com
I wrote this somewhere else on the Café but should repeat it here. I saw "Play Dead" in New York last night as well. It was wonderful. Of course I knew that would be the case when you combine Robbins and Teller. But...you have to be there.

A brilliant amalgam of sideshow, skillful theatrics, illusion, history, mentalism, heartfelt drama, and scary stuff that can be done to you in a theater.

Bennett...who is wondering if Levent did anything naughty to me in the dark....
Official opening in two days.

In the November issue of Magic magazine, Alan Howard has written a fascinating piece about the show, covering the many hard months of work that have been invested in it.
Months? I would say years!
Great show. Not to be missed. Laughs, terror, history, fright, surprise, illusion. It has it all. Not to be missed for a unique magicial theatrical experience.

Dick Brookz & Dorothy Dietrich
Sean, you would be right. Too many years.

Thanks Dick for the nice plug. It was great seeing you folks the other day. It was nice looking out into the audience and seeing you, Dorothy, Mac King, Bill Herz and their better halves.

We'll see what the future holds.

Oh by the way Dick, Tony Curtis called and said to pay no attention to that psychic.
More press:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131194755
I'm going this Thursday. So unbelievably excited to see this piece of theatre!
Tonight is opening night.
Have a great opening Todd Robbins!
We open tonight. Tomorrow the reviews hit. If they liked Play Dead, then it makes our lives simplier. If they hated it, then it makes our lives simplier, but in a different way. If they kinda sorta liked it, then we have our work cut out for us.

As it turns out, the night most of the reviewer were there was a slightly strange show with a couple of participants from the audience being a bit flaky. Still, the show was solid and was the show we created, so the reviewers had enough to go on.

And it's funny how formulaic these reviews can be. The current fashion is to hang the review upon a single element of the show. It will be something they liked or didn't like, depending upon which way the review is going. They then yammer about this element as an example of what was right or wrong with the show general. And even if the review is a rave, the last two paragraphs will be something negative.

So, we have the show we have. I am happy with what it is, and now we will see what numbers come up on the dice we have thrown.
I predict raves and the show moves to the Helen Hayes in 2011.

My oh my...here is a rave already...
http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2462:teller-and-todd-robbins-play-dead-in-manhattan&catid=56:stage-reviews&Itemid=187
Unless people are beating down the doors to get tickets, I think that the Players Theatre will be our home for the run of the show. Though the Helen Hayes would be a five minute walk from my home, so that would be nice.
Break a Leg Todd!

P.
Just waiting for Todd and Teller to bring this out to San Francisco!
NYTIMES
Gleeful Gore at Players Theater
http://theater.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/theater/reviews/11play.html?ref=arts

Congratulations Mr. Robbins!
L.A. !
Got a great seat for Tuesday night next week! Can't wait to see it.
Does this play have anything at all to do with ghost shows?

The only reason I ask is that someone was telling me about the director's notes in the Playbill (this person had not seen the show), and he said they were talking all about midnight ghost shows. That's the reason I was asking the question.

Thanks,

Gerry
Check the website, Gerry. You'll find all the show-specific background that's available. They shouldn't give it all away, should they?
TERRIFIC show last night Todd! My daughter was the "youngster" in one of the front rows who got to examine your light bulb. Truly loved every moment of the show - was obvious how much time went into thinking through even the little things. I think everyone on this thread can learn from how you and Teller weaved the magic into the respective stories in a way that the focus wasn't on the trick - you made it all too easy to suspend believe and enter your wicked world.

Thanks for making us feel so alive for an evening!
One of the glowing reviews. Too bad it was in such a small paper: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703848204575608401767708396.html
[quote]
On 2010-11-14 15:29, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Does this play have anything at all to do with ghost shows?

The only reason I ask is that someone was telling me about the director's notes in the Playbill (this person had not seen the show), and he said they were talking all about midnight ghost shows. That's the reason I was asking the question.

Thanks,

Gerry
[/quote]

Gerry,
As I understand it, Play Dead has many elements in it including a bit of ghost show, seance, ghost stories, Grand Guignol, talking to the dead and a bunch of other stuff. I haven't seen it either.
Todd, it's too bad you have to work, every time it's playing.
It's hardly work.
Todd- I attended tonight's performance, and even got to participate (I was the John you called onstage with "Nicholas"). Your performance, and the script, and the staging were truly spectacular. I've not seen any work quite like it, and it was incredibly engaging for everyone in the theater. I traveled from San Diego to see this, and was delighted I did so. Anyone who has any interest in having a great interactive experience in the theater should run to see this.

John
Thank you John for the nice words. It was a strange night tonight with many, many technical isssues AND bringing an undercover cop up for psychic surgery. When the lights came back on, his gun was gone. It turned out he had stuck it down the back of his trousers, but it gave me a bit of a start when I saw it missing.

It is never a dull moment with this show.
I saw the show in Vegas and one of the best shows I have seem in a long time it was GREAT.If you have a chance to see it - DON'T MISS IT.!!!!

Silking
Silking,
I hope you get a chance to see it again in its final resting place. Play Dead is a very different experience now.
Play Dead is a show where seemingly disparate themes are tied together, and desperate characters are portrayed by personal effects in boxes.

The set is exactly what it should be...no fluffy Disneyish cr*p, just what's necessary. The illusion work is brilliant, even more so because the stage environment is, let us politely say, quite inadequate.

One of the keys for success, with "variety" entertainment, is having a script that allows the performer to shine through, as a quirky individual. Todd shines, and it's not because he wears a white suit (yes, Todd in a white coat, because he's come to take YOU away!).

I'm looking forward to seeing it again, and again, and again. The skeleton of the show is solid. The muscles and connective tissue are filling out. The nuances that are now sprouts, will become truly delicious fruit over time.
Thanks Harley. It was great seeing you. And how great was hanging out with Johnny Gaughan? Him saying that the show fooled him was one of the sweetest things I have heard in a long time.

And I like this too:
http://newyork.timeout.com/sex-dating/591953/great-dates

If that link violates some Café rules, I apologize.
Pardon me for asking, but is there any plans on possibly filming the show for DVD? I am greatly interested in the show. However I am geographically, not to mention financially, unable to go and watch this live.
Oh. This show needs to be experienced....how should we say?....in the flesh.

You really would be cheating yourself out of the entire experience by watching it on DVD, sadly.

All of that being said. Its worth the trip from San Antonio.
We have just opened the show, so right now it's all about selling tickets to the open ended run here in NYC. However, we have been approached by a production company asking to buy the film rights for the show, so who knows? Maybe we will film the show in 3D...or 4D! And we might also eventually take the live stage version on the road.
4D only happens in Amusement Parks and William Castle revivals.

Saw the show this week and it is amazing. Neat, sweet and petite. It's Sweeney Todd without the showgirls. For fans of viscera and visceral theatre, it's amazing. For everyone else, Mama Mia is still playing.

Posted: Nov 21, 2010 10:04pm
Oh, and there is some rather enjoyable nudity.
Thank you Sean. You are part of our family.

As for the movie, maybe we can incorporate some live material like Monsters Crash the Pajama Party did.
Well Illusion I'd love to go see it live and if it goes on tour I'd def. go out of my way to see it live. However, like a good book, my imagination can fill in the blanks and trick me into almost believing I was there live.

Great to hear about the production company approaching y'all. I hope the show brings all who is involved with it great success! Break a leg or two y'all!
I don't remember show girls in Sweeney Todd....
Maybe he mean't Sweeney Todd without Angela Lansbury? :)
Just picked up 4 tickets for Sunday 1/2 3pm. I can't wait for this one!
I love the idea of Sweeney with Showgirls... but mostly I meant the visceral impact of Sweeney without any artifice for Hal Prince shine. It's a very relatable show.
Cute video review :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-QK3n6vA8&feature=related

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 10:58am
My wife and I are attending the 7:00 show tonight!
Excited!

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 10:11pm
Barely made it on time due to the darn Christmas tree traffic but my wife and I made it to Play Dead.
This show is wonderful. Smart, scary, funny, informative and quite moving. It is everything you want it to be and so much more. Todd is a master showman and conducts the evening with such elegant creepiness. He holds the audience completely enthralled. My wife clung to me.

I deeply regret not meeting Todd afterward but this was our first night out without the baby and we had to rush home to frantic babysitters. However I will attend again.
It was a huge amount of fun. Simply not to be missed great theater. I absolutely loved it.
Todd,

There may be lights on Broadway, but we have Stars in Hollywood. 15 minutes from the Castle is the SoHo art district and a wonderful 250 seat theater.

We will wait...
Eddie,
Thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry we didn't meet up. I truly understand about the baby thing. And I usually meet and greet the audience after the show. But the turn around between the 7pm and 10pm is so very tight that I am on the run from the curtain call to the start of the next show.

We have to meet up sometime in this kitchen of hell that we find ourselves living in, don't you think?

Roth, it will happen.

[quote]
On 2010-12-05 05:32, Roth wrote:
Todd,

There may be lights on Broadway, but we have Stars in Hollywood. 15 minutes from the Castle is the SoHo art district and a wonderful 250 seat theater.

We will wait...
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Dec 5, 2010 10:59AM)
We have some lovely theatres in the Seattle area as well...
Will be visiting NYC the second weekend of January. Hope to catch the show my first night in the city.
I'm seeing the show tomorrow (Thurs) night. Can't wait, Todd!
To see the show once...is to want to see it again.
Extraordinary entertainment.
Todd-
Mary(Pythonia) and I will be attending tomorrow nights show. Looking forward to it.

:stout: :stout: :stout:
What a great evening I just had.

Harley Newman came over for dinner. He completely charmed the family.

Then we were off through a blinding blizzard and the A train to see again Todd Robbins in the brilliantl production Play Dead.

Eugene Burger was in the audience and Todd evoked the spirit of Tony Andruzzi on an off Broadway stage.

It was real Magic!
It was great seeing you Eddie. See you around the 'hood.
Todd,

I will be attending Sunday at 3pm. Last time we met was at The Mark twain seance. I have been looking forward to this, I have heard great things!
It'll be better than what you heard, because you'll be there, in person!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5FGYW71lfg
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!! This show is was a blast! I took my best friend as a 50th birthday gift along with our wives. I can't recommend this show enough, we all had a great time. We screamed, laughed, and had a ball. I am going to make sure I go back to see this one again. Do not miss this show!!

Congratulations to Todd, Teller, and Johnny. You guys really created something special.
Steven,
Thank you for the kind words. Were you there tonight? If so, did you notice Steve Martin in the fourth row?
Todd, preparing for work:

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/ballard-street
Hi Todd,

I was at the matinee on Sunday, so I guess I missed Steve Martin. I hope he enjoyed the show as much as I did.

Steve
Yes, he did. That makes sense that you were at the matinee and he was at the evening. We allow only one "Steve" per performance.
Steve Martin last Sunday, comic Jim Norton on Tuesday and then a board member of the Magic Castle last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEHvbmrvLM
Congratulations Todd on yet another stellar review in the January issue of MUM!
Thanks Eddie. I did a benefit last night for Don Imus's ranch for kids with cancer. It was great being on a bill with as dozen musical numbers from Broadway shows and me eating glass.
This is an unbelievable show! I have seen it twice already (with different company) and I must say its just as much fun the second time around. The first time I saw Play Dead it was in previews and I was actually selected to be a victim...err volunteer on stage. The second time I noticed little nuances from Todd and the way he plays with each guest on stage. It just goes to show that while Play Dead is outstanding it wouldn't be anywhere without a morbidly good host such as Todd Robbins. Well done my friend.
Best,
Bill Rod.
Dark Tech Effects
http://www.darktecheffects.com
We are please that Play Dead is the highest rated show at Ticketmaster.com.
I was flipping through the TV channels and saw a program called Oddities, on the science channel. As their preview for the next show, they showed Todd Robbins joining them and eating a light bulb... everyone should tune in for this!

Science Channel, Wednesday, January 26th at 9pm.
Ticketmaster is practicing understatement!
100th Play Dead this weekend...Congrats Todd!

I saw show a third time last Saturday night. I took a Muggle dad from my kids school.
Todd pulled his dead father's name out of the ether and I had to talk the guy down after the show and assure him it was an act. Yikes!

The show only gets more powerful.
Thank you Eddie. Sorry you had to bring your friend back around. I can't make it any clearer what I'm doing. It just goes to prove the toxic nature of creating the illusion of contacting the dead.
[quote]
On 2011-02-05 08:22, Todd Robbins wrote:
Sorry you had to bring your friend back around. I can't make it any clearer what I'm doing. It just goes to prove the toxic nature of creating the illusion of contacting the dead.
[/quote]

No worries Todd... It is so fun taking unsuspecting grown men to the show and watching them reduced to screaming little girls.
I'm going to send my wife back with a group of her friends for a ladies fright night.
I enjoyed the comments on Fangoria.
This is the one show I want to see this year!
Tony,
I do hope you get a chance to see it. I look forward to meeting up.

Todd
I was in NYC with the family on school break and took time to experience Play Dead. Todd delivers marvelously. We had a fantastic time and I wholeheartedly recommend the play. It's an interesting balance of smart humor and edgy preachiness... for a while. Then all hell breaks loose. Cinema people talk about practical effects - special effects which do not resort to optical manipulation, à la blue screen. Play Dead has some of the best practical effects that I have seen in a long time, but it only works because Todd can "carry" them. His delivery and manner reaches even those who perceive themselves as unsuggestible. I had the chance to see Todd in Montreal for Hoodwinked (twice!) and I knew the he was good... But not that he was that good.

And, as a bonus... My son got to sit across from Alan Rickman.

So if you are in the area, go to the show. And expect something wicked.
How long will it be playing for
The run is open ended.
Niiice. I hope all this stuff is still going on when I get out of school.
Come to Hollywood! We have the Goddess's, a 1,000 year old warlock, and lots of tiger blood!

We're like an F-18! Duh! Winner!

Admit it, L.A. has culture!
[img]http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4966475/Ok.jpg[/img]
LA would be fine by me since I am originally from that area, but many other things are in the works, so LA will probably have to wait. Just get on a plane and come to NYC. We'll have fun

And there is an old joke:

What is the difference between LA and yorgurt?

Yorgurt has an active culture.

[quote]
On 2011-03-09 00:33, Roth wrote:
Admit it, L.A. has culture!
[/quote]
There's always Spokane. We are the second biggest city in Washington now :)
I'm selfish and want it back in Vegas so I can work on it again!!
I bet it'd be huge in Seattle.
We had a fun time last night. Robert Englund was in to see the show. I wonder how audience members felt sitting in the dark with Freddy Krueger there. And in the future, Robert might be doing more than just seeing the show. I'm just saying...
This extremely well written show certainly deserves becoming a franchise and many talented horror performers may take the stage in the future...but be assured that Todd Robbins originated it and
in 2011 he was the modern GhostMaster of alllllllllll time.

Plan your summer vacations around seeing this show.

Don't miss Todd Robbins in this excellent theatrical experience.

Since living in NYC I have attended in-person Henning, Blackstone Jr., Copperfield and Penn and Teller.
Only Robbins have I attended 5 times...it is just that good.

I cannot recommend the show enough.

Come to New York City and PLAY DEAD!

So far in the media...the internet reviewers Andrew and Andrew
http://blogdotblog.andrewandrewdotcom.com/?p=2470
reviewed it simply and the most accurately as..."water boarding for the soul"
Jeffery Combs could be good in the role.
Play Dead has been nominated for both a Drama Desk Award and the 1st annual Off Broadway Alliance Award for Unique Theatrical Experience. We are grateful to be nominated, but I think this is as far as it will go.

We will lose to a production called Sleep No More. This is a site specific walk through production of Macbeth set in a 1930s hotel. That is looked upon as "theater" whereas our show is looked upon as the poorer relation "performance". There is a great deal of snobbishness in the NY theater community, and a lot of this comes from the fact that performance pieces like STOMP and Blue Man Group play for decades and lauded esoteric theater productions sometimes run for just a couple of weeks.
Congrats on the nominations Todd. I bought my tickets and will be seeing the show in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to it.
I went with my wife to see Play Dead last night and had a great time. What an amazing show. The best I have seen of this type hands downs. It appealed to me in so many sick and depraved ways. It will definitely go down as a classic. I don't want to say anything about it and spoil it but its right up your spooky, mysterious and bizarre alley waiting to cave in your skull with a crowbar. A must see!
Just returned from an evening of watching Todd's wickedly evil performance in Play Dead. A great show from beginning to end. My complements Todd to you and the rest of the cast.
Thank you Bob. It was nice meeting you. I'm glad you liked the show. It looks like there will be a production of Play Dead opening in Mexico City in October. And who knows where it will also show up...maybe on a movie screen near you!
Very unhappy to see PLAY DEAD closing. Good to know there are future ideas and plans already taking fruition! Go out and catch the show if you get the chance. It's a spooky, bloody, terrifying, sexy and ultimately BEAUTIFUL evening of theatre. Todd is amazing -- and not to mention one of our greatest twisted performers living!

http://offbroadway.broadwayworld.com/article_/index.php?article=PLAY-DEAD-Kicks-the-Bucket-July-24-20110615
Where do you go next?
I hope I can make it out to see the show before it ends as I have family that live in northern NJ and do plan on visiting at some point this summer.
Yes, this chapter of the Play Dead saga will be coming to an end on July 24th. But there are some very, very wild things happening behind the scenes in regard to the future of the show. You might not believe who could be sharing the next run with me.

And there are few other things in the works, including one of the biggest live magic shows ever to hit the road. It could be the biggest surprise of the decade. We'll see.

Todd
[quote]
On 2011-06-19 01:41, Todd Robbins wrote:
Yes, this chapter of the Play Dead saga will be coming to an end on July 24th. But there are some very, very wild things happening behind the scenes in regard to the future of the show. You might not believe who could be sharing the next run with me.

And there are few other things in the works, including one of the biggest live magic shows ever to hit the road. It could be the biggest surprise of the decade. We'll see.

Todd
[/quote]

I think it's a fact that you (and Teller, of course) have managed to amaze and surprise EVERYONE with this go-around. Whatever you have prepared in that devil's toybox of yours can only be pure genius.

Too, an important part of it all, it's evident that you, as a performer, have learnt and evolved with each incarnation of your seance work. The layers you're adding are not only invaluable but enriching for the audience. Good show!
Got tickets for 3pm show on Sunday July 24th. Sorry to see this close, Play Dead is not to be missed! I will be very interested to see the traveling version Todd mentioned, I am sure that will be great as well. Keep us posted Todd and good luck!
Todd, I have read and heard GREAT things about the show. I'm a college student and I cannot find the time to get away to New York. I really hope to see the show hit the road. I would make it my mission to get to the closest show. Congratulations on a great run! I look forward to news in the future.
[quote]
On 2011-06-19 01:41, Todd Robbins wrote:

Todd
[/quote]

I feel lucky to have been able to see the show in it's home town. And, now I'm excited for it's next phase!

C
I had a wonderful weekend in New York and enjoyed Play Dead immensely. Lunch with Todd and Eddie Garland was inspiring. Todd has a number of exciting things in the works but I shall say nothing more than “stay tuned”. Drinks with Eddie followed and yes we talked about some of you! Thanks, it was an honor to meet you both and your kindness to me means a lot.

Plenty of fantastic food and drink but of course the highlight of the trip was the show. Todd is the master showman. Play Dead is an experience you really owe yourself.
Finally able to get to see the show this coming Saturday .
Anyone else going to be at the 7/9/11 10pm show ?

SB
A week after seeing Tod in his engaging performance of Play Dead I had a surprise run in with him again. The second time in two weeks. This time while watching the 1930s movie "Freaks". Tod provided a wonderfully insightful historical background commentary in the additional features section of the DVD. For those that haven't seen Freaks, I highly recommend it. The film is only an hour long but has a captivating story and provides a fascinating glimbs into the sideshow world of yesteryear. Oh, and of course I highly recommend seeing Play Dead as well. And that creepy business with the glass. Where else can you see that.
Don't miss Play Dead.
It was The Cyclone, The Mermaid Parade, and The Spook House all rolled into one.
SB
Only 6 days left my friends. You owe yourself this if you can swing it. I remain in awe of my time at Play Dead. A memory I cherish. Thank you Todd and I look forward to being entertained by Finn in my old age.
I sure hope this show does not stay on hiatus very long...where will I get my fix of unholy resurrection?
Todd, thank you for one of the best evenings that I have ever spent in the theater! I am so delighted that I had the opportunity to see this show before it closed. You read about the old time spook shows and think, "Why is no one doing this anymore?" The truth is that they are not, but Todd Robbins and Teller are doing something much much better!

I am once again reminded why you are my favorite performer.
One show left with this run. THANK YOU Todd....... it was a memory I cherish. Best to Finn and the misses ……..the cast, crew and of course Eusapia and Margery……. I was there…..saw it…..lived it…. loved it.
Can't wait to see the next incarnation!
WOW !!!! For years I have dreamed of such a show. Now I have seen it. The show was solid entertainment, but the blackouts were the best ever.

Rich
It was a true privilege to catch this during its NYC run.
It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

http://playdeadnyc.com/

And, yesterday, Mr. Teller tweeted a picture of the Mexico City poster. Looks like the dead have a lot of fun in store!

Perhaps Mr. Robbins can inform us to the difference, if any, the Mexico City production will have to the NYC production.
The sad news is that Play Dead will not be returning to NYC in October. There were a number of scheduling conflicts and a few other challenges that lead to this cancellation. There are some things in the works for down the road, including a possible return to NYC, a London production, a Los Angeles production and a movie based on the show. But for now Play Dead lives on as Muertos de Miedo at the Teatro Banamex in the Santa Fe region of Mexico City.

The show has played two sold out previews and I must say it is glorious to hear 700 people screaming in the dark. My role is being played by the wonderful Miguel Pizarro. He is very well known down here not only because has been an actor since he was a kid, but also due to his suicide attempt several years ago. He was producing a play with this own money and his partner ran off with it all, leaving Miguel broke and despondent. It created a scandal here and added an new leave of celebrity to him. Since he is now associated with death, he is the prefect person to play the role. The show opens on Wednesday for an open ended run.

The show is basically the same as what we did in NYC, with a few stories changed to use people from Mexico. Instead of Albert Fish we use Jose Luis "The Poet Cannibal". And the show is playing in a very new and much larger theater. We are adding in today a new effect for one of the darkroom section. It was something that wouldn't work in the off-Broadway house in NYC, but will play well in this former IMAX theater the show is playing in down here.

So that's all the news for now, but stay tuned for further developments.
Sad day for us New Yorkers. But so glad the show shares success all over the world! It deserves it!
Just a bit of an update. Play Dead is not resting in peace! In a few days we will have a trailer up at the http://www.playdeadnyc.com site. It is made up of brief clips of a performance of the NYC run of the show. Teller brought a crew in to capture the show and the full movie is glorious. Plans are afoot to show this film sometime in the near future, but we don't want it to interfere with the upcoming movie version of the show.

And the show is scheduled to open in London (with a British cast) either at the end of this year or in the beginning of lucky '13. The Mexico City production is still running strong.

Also, there are some rumblings about Play Dead clawing its way out of the grave and playing again in NYC. We'll see. More later. So there.
Thanks for the update,Todd!
Keep us posted!
Hmmmmm, a run of Play Dead in Los Angeles? That would be fun.
And it looks like the filmed stage version will be playing the Fantasia Film Festival up in Montreal at the end of July. It is very possible that Teller and I will be there for this.
That is fantastic.
Congrats!!! Will there be a DVD of the performance?
Gloomy strange Seattle would be a great place for something like this...
Will you be filming the screening of the film and releasing it on DVD? If so, will the DVD have a Making of the filming of the screening of the film of the play segment? I [b]love[/b] those!
Please have another NYC run. I miss Play Dead.
[quote]
On 2012-06-13 20:02, that'sJustWrong! wrote:
Will you be filming the screening of the film and releasing it on DVD? If so, will the DVD have a Making of the filming of the screening of the film of the play segment? I [b]love[/b] those!
[/quote]

The video of the filmed version of the stage show will soon be available as a flip book along the lines of Card Toon. And the flip book will soon be adapted as a ballet of interpretive dance. And Billy the Mime is working an a variation of a version.
Will Parker & Stone be producing a satire of all of this?
[quote]
On 2012-06-14 10:15, critter wrote:
Will Parker & Stone be producing a satire of all of this?
[/quote]

Unlikely. Now that they are part of the Broadway Establishment (as they explained at the Tony Awards), they wouldn't want anything to do with (huff) OFF-Broadway. For further clarification, please refer to the South Park episode with Sondheim to learn what broadway is REALLY all about.
The one with the... "Slurpies?"
Play Dead on ice?
Awesome trailer for the new film here...
Congrats Todd!
This looks wonderful.
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/07/trailer-for-teller-robbins-play-dead.php
I saw this in NYC for our 3rd anniversary. We loved every moment of it. It was wonderful to see all those things I always swore would NEVER WORK and then proceed to have the bejesus scared out of me. Can't wait for the DVD release!
Come to Silver Spring MD and see the film of Play Dead at the Spooky Movie Festival. I'll be there with Teller and Shade Rupe doing a Q & A after the flick. The film will also be shown out in San Francisco at the end of November.

http://www.spookyfests.com/2012_OnlineGuide.pdf
Bring that show to Hollywood! We have more freaky people here than anywhere (except maybe New York) :)

SoHo Debbie Reynolds theater seats 250 :bat:
This was truly a show that I will never forget. I could go see it over and over again. You know how when you practice magic sometimes, it loses it shine? Well this show made me feel like I was seeing magic brand new, for the first time. It was thrilling, entertaining and beautiful.
Saw the Play Dead video this weekend at ICBM. What a great show, so glad I was able to see it a couple times live. The video is very well done, really captures the show. I would love to own a copy. Does anyone know if this will ever be comercially available?
I would also love to own a copy.
Just tell me where to send the money......
[quote]
On 2012-10-03 18:43, Roth wrote:
Bring that show to Hollywood! We have more freaky people here than anywhere (except maybe New York) :)

SoHo Debbie Reynolds theater seats 250 :bat:
[/quote]

If all the planning works out I will be performing the show at the Geffen Theatre next fall.
The film of Play Dead was originally done just for archival purposes. Teller like the results so well that he made the extra push to edit it and add in all the bells and whistles so that it is a real movie of the stage play. Because everyone signed off on it for the original limited usage, there are a number of limits as to what we can do with the film. I doubt it will ever be commercially available on DVD.
And speaking of the film, here's a very nice review.

http://www.skepticblog.org/2012/11/29/playing-dead/
Mark's an excellent writer, and a marvelous practitioner of understatement!
[quote]
On 2012-11-18 12:47, Todd Robbins wrote:
I doubt it will ever be commercially available on DVD.
[/quote]

Well that's a fricken bummer.
I saw it many times and could easily see it many more.
I enjoyed watching the audience deeply frightened and I admired the education the audience was offered.
I want more people to see this.
It should be an HBO special.