(Close Window)
Topic: Thanks God!!...33 Trapped Chile Miners Found Alive After 17 Days
[url]http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2012489,00.html[/url]
Wonderful! If they were from Peru they would have eaten each other.

Everyone, go visit Chile...I love that place.
Unbelievably good news. It could still be a long time before they are up, though.

Man.

John
The page was gone when I checked the link but I'm very happy to hear the news.

- Mary Mowder
The link was too big for the Café interface.

[url=http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2012489,00.html]Here[/url] it is.

John
Well, they are not exactly home free but it's a start. Best of luck to all involved.

Thank you Amira and John for the links.

- Mary
That is great news!

:dancing:
I'm so glad that everything went well!

Un abrazo Pablo!

Nico.
That is great news!

Kyle
This was truly a great story. The story of the successful rescue may it please God will be even greater. What an ordeal!

Woland
This is an example of the difference between a country that has safety requirements because they actually care about their people (same as the US, Canada, and most Western countries) vs those that really don't care except to get the ore out.
Commie.
I told you I was a mega lefty libby tree huggin' dude.
The good news...they found them. The bad news...they might not be brought out until Christmas. The really bad news...the miners have been instructed to keep digging since they are still on the clock. ;)
Haha Stanyon, too soon? They're not even out of the mine yet for crying out loud. :P
Someone should send down some cards and magic books. They could have a whole new career when they get out.
It is possible the man upstairs had nothing to do with it. Just sayin'
Are you talking about the guy in charge of the rig to dig them out? I'm sure he has something to do with getting to them, has to dig the hole and all that.
[quote]
On 2010-08-25 14:03, kcg5 wrote:
[/quote]

It's also possible there is no man upstairs. Sounds like something Mulder should put in his filing cabinet.
I'm thinking this is a good set up for a movie. Miners trapped deep below ground, for 3+ months. It could work as a rescue drama, or as a horror. Nor would it surprise me if this has already been done.
[quote]
On 2010-08-25 17:01, balducci wrote:
I'm thinking this is a good set up for a movie. Miners trapped deep below ground, for 3+ months. It could work as a rescue drama, or as a horror. Nor would it surprise me if this has already been done.
[/quote]

Yep, it's been done. "My Bloody Valentine".
Imagine the overtime....
[quote]
On 2010-08-25 17:13, MagicSanta wrote:
Imagine the overtime....
[/quote]
They're still on the clock.
Did you know the woman who plays the Israeli on NCIS ( by the way, NCIS wasn't like that when I was in the Navy) is from Chile?
[quote]
On 2010-08-25 16:56, Douglas Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-08-25 14:03, kcg5 wrote:
[/quote]

It's also possible there is no man upstairs. Sounds like something Mulder should put in his filing cabinet.
[/quote]
You forget to type something?
He's a psychic....and using telepathy.
He's not very good at it then.
[quote]
On 2010-08-22 21:09, MagicSanta wrote:
Wonderful! If they were from Peru they would have eaten each other.

Everyone, go visit Chile...I love that place.
[/quote]

Your thinking of Chili's Restaurant. ;)
I just realized...I'd not fit out and they'd leave me in there for a year!

If they want out in a week they should just announce they found gold, that hole would be done quicker 'n heck.
[quote]
On 2010-08-26 00:33, MagicSanta wrote:
I just realized...I'd not fit out and they'd leave me in there for a year!

If they want out in a week they should just announce they found gold, that hole would be done quicker 'n heck.
[/quote]

Yea lots of gold it is laying all over here. I think you are right they would be out quickly.
Mining for Chili can be a very dangerous and difficult business. It doesn't come in cans, you know. Not in the wild.
Sounds like they'll be out soon ... some to face the heat ...

Some may elect to stay down below for just a while longer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/chile/8052941/Trapped-Chile-miners-emerge-to-fame-movie-contracts-and-angry-wives.html

Trapped Chile miners emerge to fame, movie contracts - and angry wives

Several men have been revealed to have children by different women, and competing claims for their affections.

[The] wife and a woman who claimed to be the lover Yonni Barrios promised to marry only discovered that each other existed when both turned up at the vigil site with pictures of the trapped man.

[T]ensions at the surface spilled below ground at times. For a start, the miners had to choose the three relatives will meet them when they finally emerge - quite a challenge for men with large and sometimes duelling families.

"The fighting within the families and the domestic squabbles has actually been our greatest headache," Commander Andreas Llarena, a Chilean navy doctor leading the medical operations, told The Sunday Telegraph.
A local radio station is having a contest to see who can live in the cab of a truck for the longest. Last guy in wins the truck. I'm pretty sure any of these miners could clean up.

Great news.

John
I think it is wonderful that my peeps are getting out. Congrats to the govt of Chile for realizing that the company that owned the mine was out of its league and within hours had contacted experts in the US and elsewhere to get the best equipment and people on the job. The main driller who got through to them was out of Denver. It should be fun to see the top scene though. Reminds me of when our ship would come back to the US and guys would see their wife and kids standing 20 feet from the fellows girlfriend and kids. Some guys would just stay on board and send others out to tell the ladies he was on duty and would catch up with them later than night!
Anyone remember the Kirk Douglas movie, The Big Carnival? Folks are trapped in a mine and Douglas plays a cynical reporter who exploits the tragedy for ratings. Here's the trailer from the 1951 Billy Wilder movie, also called Ace in the Hole. Great stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2991849497/
Nice! Today journalist wouldn't do that, they prefer glueing babies to levees then hiring kids to dig on the dry side until they hit water.
[quote]
On 2010-10-10 16:54, landmark wrote:
Anyone remember the Kirk Douglas movie, The Big Carnival? Folks are trapped in a mine and Douglas plays a cynical reporter who exploits the tragedy for ratings. Here's the trailer from the 1951 Billy Wilder movie, also called Ace in the Hole. Great stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2991849497/
[/quote]
I'll try and remember to check it out sometime. I guess this is off topic but, anyway, today I came across this mine movie:

Blind Shaft (2003)

Two Chinese coal miners have hit upon the perfect scam: murder one of their fellow mine workers, make the death look like an accident, and extort money from the boss to keep the incident hushed up. For their latest "mark," they choose a naive teenager from a small village, and as they prepare to carry out their newest plan, things start to get complicated...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351299/