(Close Window)
Topic: New to Skateboarding
Just decided I wanted to learn how to skate, I'm looking to buy a good quality skateboard just to start off. Any suggestions? Should I get a complete or build it? I've heard element was very good and I'm looking to spend about $100.

Thanks,
Tehmagic1
Do you have any idea what the median age of this group is?

:rotf:

John
Spend most of it on a helmet.
Buy a cheap board and spend the majority of your money on better wheels. You're gonna put a bunch of stickers on it and screw up the graphics doing rail slides, anyhow...

Also, seriously, buy a helmet. Preferably one that will protect your face, too.
My first Skateboard was a 2X4 with a metal rollerskate wheels separated and nailed to the bottom. Then I got a store bought with metal wheels and FINALLY I got some of those HI TECH clay wheels and made a laminated deck in Wood Shop!

Anyone remember what happened when you hit even the tiniest pebble with those metal or clay wheels?!?!?!? ROAD RASH BABYYYYYYYYYY!
I don't know what wheels they have now (my first board had steel wheels and if they split....good times) but I see kids skating on roads that are rough with gravel and they are just ripping over it. I remember when they came out with those new types of wheels in the 70s and guys were thrashing, I never had the ability but I sure watched with amazement.
[quote]
On 2010-08-29 13:22, MickeyPainless wrote:
My first Skateboard was a 2X4 with a metal rollerskate wheels separated and nailed to the bottom. Then I got a store bought with metal wheels and FINALLY I got some of those HI TECH clay wheels and made a laminated deck in Wood Shop!

Anyone remember what happened when you hit even the tiniest pebble with those metal or clay wheels?!?!?!? ROAD RASH BABYYYYYYYYYY!
[/quote]

My first "skateboard" was a rollerskate with the shoe ripped off.
The first thing I ever bought with my own money was a crappy K-Mart skateboard that I put on layaway and put 5 dollars a month on for three months!
When I was in high school I traded a labcoat I had for a really nice one.
I actually liked freestyle bikes better though.
I almost bought a longboard last summer but then I remembered what I look like and decided to go back to bed.
I would just google skateboard reviews and see which ones have the features that sound good to you. Or go to a reputable skate shop and ask for advice.
Our big thing other than roller skating when I was a kid (I don't think I saw a skate board other than on cartoons until the 70s) we would take our old skates and nail them to a piece of 2x4. In the front we would put another 2x4 vertical and then handles, or a peach crate, and make a scooter like those razors they have around today only crappy. Steel Wheels baby!
[quote]
On 2010-08-30 17:09, critter wrote:
I almost bought a longboard last summer but then I remembered what I look like and decided to go back to bed.
[/quote]
I wish all the 30 something balding hipsters in my ghetto 'hood would acquire a similar sense of perspective!

I see far too many old geezers riding around on skateboards.
30 is a geezer? ***.

I've seen guys in their 50's in SF wearing the sideways hats and baggy cloths, cracked me up.
[quote]
On 2010-08-30 17:44, MagicSanta wrote:
30 is a geezer? ***.

I've seen guys in their 50's in SF wearing the sideways hats and baggy cloths, cracked me up.
[/quote] Yeah, I was being generous. Some boys never grow up if given the opportunity to not do so...
When I was working in S.F. five years ago I noticed quite a few older males riding skateboards. I did find it odd but also took into consideration that it was S.F. and just about anything could be seen there.
You should try seeing Bob Dylan in Berkeley, I saw people who had not been outside of their houses since the mid 60s.
[quote]
On 2010-08-30 19:14, MagicSanta wrote:
You should try seeing Bob Dylan in Berkeley, I saw people who had not been outside of their houses since the mid 60s.
[/quote]

Lmao I don't doubt that.
Go easy on SF