(Close Window)
Topic: Guy Hollingworth
I love Guy's work. His work on the riffle shuffle, his optical alignment... He is brilliant. What is your favorite Hollingworth effect?

-Oz :banana:

PS> I put up a vid of something a la Hollingworth, called Unshuffling Oz. Check it out: http://www.watchmagic.com/index.php?p=videos&s=date&
I have to say that I love Guy Hollingworth's Reformation.
I do The Reformation and Waving The Aces in every show. Astounding effects. I also love his Oil & Water routine. And that "signed duplicate" principle has given me much to mentally chew on.

Putting your own name in your effect, Oz? What a pretentious dirtbag! (just kiddin'! ;) )
I agree with lithis. Reformation is my favorite too. His book "Drawing Room Deceptions" is a great work also!
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 5, 2003 04:53PM)
Another vote for Reformation, but his work with the quartet is astounding for anyone who enjoys small packet work.
I really liked the "Waving the Aces" from his London Lecture video.Not sure if it's my favorite but it certainly is a great effect..
"Waving the Aces" is the best version of twisting the aces I have ever seen. Sorry Reed, yours is a very close second though.

Another very good effect, although I don't care for pile tricks, is Hollingworth's Ace Assembly. You actually see the four aces go into the four different piles, something that most assembly versions don't show.
Waving the Aces, Voodoo card, reformation, and his triumph are all fantastic. I have seen his ace assembly, and it does look great, but I don't have the gaffs needed to perform it.

Michael
I really enjoyed 'The Cassandra Quandry'. Voodo card is one of the best all time "hidden effects". Who reads the introduction anyway? My favorite of favorites though is Ambidextrous Interchange. A killer effect with a hard as nails method.
Jason
When I first opened Drawing Room Decepions I immediately read the introduction first, not knowing of the hidden effect. I felt so proud of myself for starting with the introduction and learning such a cool new effect. Only much later did I realize that the effect was also printed in AOA vol. 3, a book I'd owned long before DRD. Somehow overlooked it. :rolleyes:
Oh yes, how could I ever forget the wonderful Voodoo card. What wonderful reactions...
I too vote 'Voo Doo Card', 'Reformation', and 'Waving the Aces' :thumbsup:
I like his triumph and false shuffle. His oil and water is good too which is the first faze to mine, although I created it and then went back and realized that it was already in DRD. :cucumber: :pepper: <-- I could laugh at those all day.
Nice clip, Oz. Is that Eric Anderson's riffle shuffle?

Quinn
His London Video is very good. I think I like almost every effect in it.
I love his triumph effect. The spectator sees the cards mixed up until the last possible second. Itís truly amazing. Waving the aces is a very close second. What I admire most about all of his magic is that thereís usually a follow-up of the effect that is not only stronger but really makes the trick appear to be true magic. I love it.
I love An Ambidextrous Interchange
To perform, Guy's Three Cards Under A Card Case is something that I do as often as possible. Great effect, great method. Also, the Transposition from "Quartet" is brilliant. A little hidden gem.

To watch Guy perform, Reformation or Waving The Aces - the handling from "Quartet" (so for me, his performance on World's Greatest Magic was perfect - my 2 favourites!). I was lucky enough to see Guy perform these from less than 5 feet away just before he made it massive in the magic world. Both effects floored me several times in a row.
Don't recall Waving being on his Video. Cassandra Prophecy though knocked me out. Have never performed it but his Travelers (one ace to each pocket) has an absolutely devilish method to it that inrigued me enormously.
Marty K
Martyk, Waving The Aces is on his video, The London Collection.
Another vote for Waving the Aces and Voodoo Card.
Regarding Reformation I prefer the Yves Doumergues Version.
Guy Hollingworth is, in my opinion, perhaps the classiest magician extant.

I love doing a visual oil and water with the optical alignment--it looks like honest to goodness magic.

Drawing Room Deceptions is one of the few books a literate layman would still find interesting.
I love Guy Hollingworth s work - also his Videos are excellent!

Martin
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Jul 7, 2003 06:22PM)
[quote]
On 2003-07-07 11:05, Ron Giesecke wrote:
Drawing Room Deceptions is one of the few books a literate layman would still find interesting.
[/quote]

Excerpt:
"This concludes the tearing part of the effect. It therefore constitutes a good point to pause and have a cup of tea before embarking on the restoration part of the routine."

You gotta love it!
Oz
Your website llos awesome (="GREAT") However, I can not seem to get into it with Prof XP and Media Player and even adding the Div (the free version at least) Any tips?
Marty K
I regularly perform his Waving the Aces routine with the surprise ending utilizing the Quartet gimmick. His innovative thinking has always inspired me to think outside the box with a lot of classic plots in magic.

As far as my favorite Hollingworth piece... it could either be L'Arc de Triomphe or New Material, both found on his London Collections video. I love how these illusions have kicker endings; the audience never gives a mediocre reaction to these effects. In L'Arc de Triomphe, not only does the magician reveal the selected card at the end of a Triumph routine, he manages to find all of its mates as well! It also takes place all in the hands. In New Material, the performer is able to visually rip the lost aces through the lining of his jacket. To produce the last ace, he rips the entire deck through the inside of his jacket, leaving one card inside his pocket: the remaining ace of spades. This effect needs to be seen to be believed. It's all very workable material with my highest recommendations.

RT
Absolutely correct, magicians who perform classic card effect with kicker ending always attract our attention.

Because we are magicians, we know the effect and want to see tricks that bring back the magical experience to us again and again.

We need to judge which type of spectators need to see such surprise kicker ending, or combination of classic together.

Of course, Guy Hollingworth's routine is brilliant and his tape tell me that what is mean by difficult card sleight. (I want to say there are many other magicians give me the same idea too, like Greg Wilson Card Stunt, Ray Kosby Impossible Card Magic)
Wave the Aces.
Reformation.

I also like the VooDoo card effect he describes in the beginning of the book. he says people who skipped the first chapter are not as lucky as people who are reading it at the moment :bg:

Hey, are you really Oz Pearlman? :)
I thought you were hilarious when you asked for the girls phone number ;) you shoulda put more performance footage in your demo vid for BORN TO PERFORM.
Voodoo card and reformation are amazing, Cassadra Quandry intruiging, Ambiodextrous Interchange extremly difficult, and thinking on everything is superb.

Instead of delving into all these great things, I advise everyone to get his book just for the triumph. IMHO there is none better, well worth the price of the book on its own.

It's a real worker that can be done impromtue with any deck of cards with no setup. Card tricks like this are always ready and hard to find, get it!
I find Guy Hollingworth's material is really hard and needs a lot of practice to master. I try to keep my stuff simple. (KISS)
Hmmm. last post was in 2004. Well here goes anyways. Just got Guy's Quartet booklet and the special something that comes with it. I was FLOORED the first time I saw Waving the Aces. It was like, for me anyways, that if magic were really all around us that it would look exactly like Waving the Aces. So waited patiently for the second printing of Deceptions, found and bought his Collections VHS and FINALLY found Quartet. So, um anybody know where I can still find the Quartet 'refills'?!?!
Ever thought about visiting his site as suggested in the booklet?
http://www.guy-hollingworth.com :)

Hmmm...could someone please pass me the salt to go with my foot. I just tried the links on the site and they led to nowhere.
Hi Everyone.

I read Guy's Book(Drawung room deception) and his method for torn and restored card is the best.I know some other method and I have talked with YVES DOUMERGUE on this routine(He jas one of his own) and he also told me that Guy's routine in a masterpiece but very hard to perform.

ypu can check his routine in:
http://www.mymagic.com/doumergue.htm

In one of the issues of Genii Magazine of 1999 Guy's handling of the Professor nightmare trick is explained and he has a great method there.

Have fun
Roi
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jul 29, 2005 12:57PM)
http://www.trickshop.co.uk have some sort of connection with Guy the last time I checked, maybe you should check there
I know it has been a while since anyone has posted here but does anyone have a favourite since 'The Hollingworth Collection' was released? I love his waving the Aces close up method, although finding it a lot harder than the original version.