(Close Window)
Topic: The Future of Screen Technology
http://holykaw.alltop.com/the-future-of-screen-technology-video
That's it, I'm going to invest in screen cleaner.
Neat!
In Fahrenheit 451 they had wall screens.
There are quite a few of the concept videos/products out there. Really fascinating stuff.

Funny thing about this one is that about half of what they had in it was not new, lol. Like the phone sharing thing at the end for example.
I realise I am probably in the minority, but absolutely nothing in that video appeals to me.
More screens, so we never have to see or talk to a live body.
I'm with you Balducci. All I thought of what how sad a person can't brush their teeth without checking their calendar. I don't even wear a watch.
I just want "augmented reality" digital contact lenses. People have already made contacts with a few embedded LEDs, so the next wave shouldn't be to far behind...
That initial screen (the Ipod that extends) looked impossible, but now that I recall, they're working on "electronic paper" or paper-thin view screens. Putting one on a roller-blind would make that possible.

I just want a cheap HUD, like they've already got in some luxury cars.
[quote]
On 2010-09-08 00:06, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm with you Balducci. All I thought of what how sad a person can't brush their teeth without checking their calendar. I don't even wear a watch.
[/quote]

Though I agree this can, and will, be a side effect for some (possibly many) but, you can look at it the other way as well. Being able to check things like that while brushing your teeth leaves you MORE time to see your friends.

Also, a lot of this was about making things more portable, so you won't be cooped up in your room in front of your computer.
Of course, again, there is the counter that you will have people out in nature with beauty everywhere, and they have their faces glued to their phones.
I sent to a fab where they make screens (I think it was Sony's contracter) when my old company was involved with that technology. It was really interesting and they are getting better and bigger and smaller screens made. There really is a lot of stuff that goes into fabing those things.
The extending screen was a post-effect ofc ourse (CG, if you watch the edge you can see it move a bit where registration wasn't quite perfect) and there was no place physically for it to come from. BUT if you allow for the room to roll it up and store it, roll out screens have already been demonstrated in prototype using eInk technology.
Gaddy- contact lenses will probably be a stretch for 2014, given battery requirements. But I can easily see the tech being put on glasses. It would certainly speed up the effect of "transition" lenses that get darker in sunlight.