(Close Window)
Topic: Kolossal Killer Help.
Im fiddling with Kolossal Killer, Ive got the stage version more or less sorted, cunningly involves the card in a bucket. Its very hard to get a Miracle wallet yet alone one which holds a Jumbo card.

Anyhow, Im now working on a table hopping one, and I wish the spectator to hold the wallet from the start and remove the card themselves. I will be using my very own wallet. I have the method for getting the choice down to just one suit. In theory, going with the KK Off by one approach I now only need 4 cards in the wallet. No problem. But I cant have anything written on the back on the cards as the specatator will see it.

Im thinking of having a further prediction (envelope?) which says Of course I knew youd be off by one. Does this make the effect much weaker? Any alternatives? Justification for the second prediction?
You could write it on the back of the card in an ink that only shows when a certain type of light is shined onto it. You can get these lights in a keyring style and both pens and lights are widely available.
There are different approaches to solve this "problem".
One of them is the Red Envelope by J C Sum

Topic about this :
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=376143&forum=15
Thanks for the replies.

The Red envelope seems to be what I have devised. I don't need the wording. My routine is based on two people in love, so I was going to use a valentines card. I was either going to gimmick the card, which would be a shame as I'd like it with the card to be a give away.

So the 'out' could be written on the envelope (quickly disposed of) in the card presentation.

The issue I have is that working on effects, it is a solo and isolating experience and I can lose sight of what makes an effect strong. I have a slight concern that by introducing a second item along with the card I'm deminishing the trick.

My real\original question, does it weaken the effect? Is there a better method.

I quite like the light idea actually.
To be honest, having the spectator remove the card makes the effect NO stronger for them. I think you're just overcomplicating the simplicity of this classic trick.

Pull the card out, watch their jaws drop and put it away.
John Archer's handling.
On "Educating Archer".
Just what you are you looking for...
Shoot me a PM. I have done many variations (most are published), and may have one up your alley.
[quote]
On 2010-09-14 11:45, Mesaboogie wrote:
To be honest, having the spectator remove the card makes the effect NO stronger for them. I think you're just overcomplicating the simplicity of this classic trick.

Pull the card out, watch their jaws drop and put it away.
[/quote]

Having performed KK since it came out in 1993, I fully agree.
Thanks Norbert for the reference!

Harry, The Red Envelope is (I think) different than what you came up with as the contents is motivated and more importantly, it is a "principle" that can be applied to so many more effects. Nothing is on the envelope.

The above guys are right - the original is great and direct.

Your idea allows for a different presentational context if you can make it enhance the routine and not distract from it as you pointed out.

Best,

J C
I'm not sure I made it clear in my original post but my presentation is between two spectators,not me and a spectator. That is why the wallet and the final revelation is in the spectators hands. I agree that I can change my presentation so I pick up the wallet, but I'd rather not, although that could be the solution after all.

I could justify the 'second' out as an envelope similar to the 'Red envelope'. Because I'd like the card inside to be a give away I'd need an out on the envelope.

The basic premise of my presentation is that if two people are truly in love they have a sixth sense....
That is how I perform my stage version, keeping the performances vaguely similar helps me.
Having an out as a Valentines card in an envelope is a possibilty. I'm sure my idea is only similar to the Red envelope not the same. Going to have to buy it.

Am I too obsessed with making an effect my own? KK is indeed a killer in it's original form, but straight menatlism doesn't fit with my personality, try though I have.

I hope with my presentation, to control where the humour is and provide focus on the strong magic. For example the fact that neither spectator at the start knows the card provides humour, but I hope also builds the impossibilty. It just fits with how I come across to the audience.

All thoughts welcome,
Harry