(Close Window)
Topic: If I could....
If I could juggle, I'd probably never do another magic trick in a street show again...
WHY???
Because juggling is awesome.

Believe me, I love magic. But for street shows, juggling is the shizznat!

Bowling ball + shoe + apple = laughs
Unicycle + torches = $$$
You got that right gaddy.

Whenever I practice juggling the dog and cat run away.
Gaddy, I taught myself how to juggle when I was 14 after seeing a friend do it. Trust me, if an uncordinated klutz such as myself juggle anyone can. You could do be doing a basic cascade within a day. And the cool thing is it's like riding a bike: once you have it, you have it. And once you have the basics down, it's easy to work up...different patterns, eating apple, clubs, knives, etc...it gets easier.

Get somebody who knows how to juggle, have them spend an hour or so with you to show you pattern and timing, and you'll be tossing around a bowling ball, shoe and apple in no time.

Sorry, but I can't offer any words on advice on unicycle...I'm scared of them.
I juggle and do unicycle but there is something magical about doing magic!
[quote]
On 2010-10-06 18:37, fireperformer911 wrote:
I juggle and do unicycle but there is something magical about doing magic!
[/quote]

I agree, however... :spinningcoin:

vs. :twentyfive: :five: :onehundred:

But you gotta do what you love, or at least, what what you are able to do...

Without getting into a "magic bullet trick that will solve all your problems" type discussion, is there anything that our members here [i]wish[/i] they could do, but just can't?
Hey Gaddy,
We have a guy out here on the East Coast named Hilby. I worked some of the same festivals and Street shows he did and he will make you laugh so hard you will p** your pants...this guy is a scream but boy can he juggle....
http://www.hilby.net/who.html

Bill
When I practised juggling every day my goal was to do five balls with a torch ballansed on my chin. I came to five balls and torch, but not at the same time. Kind of like the idea still though. Now I have a four year old daughter, so I don't have the same amount of practise time.
Funny on Gazzo DVD there is a juggler trying to learn cups and balls so he do magic.

I think it's best to have as many skills as possible or reasonable. It makes life more interesting and less boring to.

JerryB
Yep, same here, I wish my juggling skills were better but I haven't committed to the practice it would take. I've seen how audiences love juggling, good juggling, and nobody ever says "I know how you did that". I love that about it, it's all about practice and skill, there's no guessing how it's done. I do think though that some people are naturally better equipped to learn it than others. It's like having an ear for music, "perfect pitch"... I think some people are a little more gifted than others, in this case, in the eye-hand coordination/physical awareness department. I'm not one of those people. It took me about six weeks to learn how to ride a unicycle, my little brother learned it in three days. I taught a friend of mine how to do a three ball cascade in a couple of hours. It took me a couple of months. I was learning from a book, but still.. jeez.. I'm just not a natural.
Jerry

The Juggler in Gazzo video was learning so Gazzo would have a complete amateur to teach. With that being said Guy does magic for smaller crowds and juggling for bigger crowds.
Gaddy,
Here's an idea for you...go ahead and learn Juggling, then rotate your shows like do the Juggling in the morning and Busking in the afternoon and see which one yields you the larger hats....Just a thought..I'm pretty sure that on Hilby's site he has a DVD of his show plus he teaches you how to juggle...
Bill
I can assure you that the most talented juggler isn't gonna last if he doesn't have a tight show, isn't funny, and ppl don't like him.... I used to think the same way gad.. until I watched myself consistently get bigger hats and have better shows than unicycle jugglers / circle shows I was sharing pitchs with..

do what you love to do
N I know hilby..

yeah hes a great juggler but he's also one of the best / best structured and funniest shows ive ever seen..

he's really the best.. that's why he does so well
You can do magic for big crowds... I know bec I do circle shows and have packed amplitheatre pitches with my show regularly.. the only thing I added was my fire eating act, but it's mostly magic.. not bragging, I'm just sayin'.. It's all presentation
I will attest to what George Gilbert is saying as I shared a pitch with him and his hats were bigger and I was juggling on a 7 foot unicycle.
Some months ago I went to a city, everything was slow... I did my doorway show for some hours, and it was hard, that day... (stoping the people, the money, hot...) later I found one very interesting busker doing marionettes, his name Joss (20 years traveling the europe)... incredible experience whatching this gentlemen, he is a master of the sreets... he was like a magnet to the people... later I had a great conversation with him, and learned a lot that day... during some days I ask myself, and if I start doing marionettes?

Eduardo
I've been juggling for about 10 months now. I love being able to change from magic to juggling during practice. Even though I don't have a juggling act, it never fails to draw a crowd when I practice at the park. People are so use to seeing your typical 3 ball cascade, that they are blown away when you start doing other juggling tricks. They start thinking you are just making the tricks up on the spot!

Can't wait to put together a juggling act to go with my magic show.!!!
[quote]
On 2010-10-12 16:44, SilvaAce wrote:
I've been juggling for about 10 months now. I love being able to change from magic to juggling during practice. Even though I don't have a juggling act, it never fails to draw a crowd when I practice at the park. People are so use to seeing your typical 3 ball cascade, that they are blown away when you start doing other juggling tricks. They start thinking you are just making the tricks up on the spot!

Can't wait to put together a juggling act to go with my magic show.!!!
[/quote] I agree that combining the two has some awesome potential...
Anyone here combine juggling and magic into one cohesive show?

I'mma work on this !
Have you seen Charlie Frye do the Sidewalk Shuffle?
Juggling the jumbo cards looks really cool. Of course, he was born juggling.

It CAN'T be that difficult.
...[i]or is it?[/i]

Call me Spazzy.
I always thought that Juggling would work against the "magic" ..

But I've seen Jimmy Talksalot do some really cool Juggling / magic and manipulation..

One effect, he is juggling 3 balls and all of the sudden he only has 1..

and he does some really cool color changes while juggling.. its eye candy
I've heard a lot of magicians who doesn't like magic and juggling in a combination. I've always thought the oposite. But I guess it's all about what kind of magic you do. Combining close up and juggling might seem a bit wierd, but if you use the term "juggling" in the way I think it should; wand spinning, pen juggling, lighter flicking, coin juggling, fits.

If we talk number juggling, say seven balls or juggling clubs - well it doesn't fit. Unless you do a big stage show. I've always thought that the linking rings and juggling is strongly related.
Magic and juggling are very closely related, especially when you start looking at manipulation and sleight of hand. I think you guys are on the right track with the idea of seamlessly incorporating the two, like George was saying about Jimmy's work. Jimmy does some hat manipulation that's part juggling and part magic too. Good stuff.
[quote]
On 2010-10-13 04:47, Arkadia wrote:
I've heard a lot of magicians who doesn't like magic and juggling in a combination. [/quote] no prob there. I've never given a crap about what other magicians thought... [quote]I've always thought that the linking rings and juggling is strongly related.
[/quote]almost exactly what I was thinking! Begin with a few small juggling feats, move into the rings and take it from there where the magical moment takes you!
Gaddy: I created a routine some years ago that I still do in all my shows. It is all about a juggling tricks that screw up. Linking rings all the way. And I have a lot of fun doing that routine.
I'm trying to learn to juggle three rings this winter to use as a crowd gatherer next season. Based on early attempts, it's going to be a long haul.

Just had this thought. The last bit of my show is a rope and ring on again off again. Maybe grabbing the other two rings and juggling during the final hat line would be a nice book end.
[quote]
On 2010-10-06 16:12, imgic wrote:
Gaddy, I taught myself how to juggle when I was 14 after seeing a friend do it. Trust me, if an uncordinated klutz such as myself juggle anyone can. You could do be doing a basic cascade within a day. And the cool thing is it's like riding a bike: once you have it, you have it.
[/quote]

I would be extremely impressed by any beginner who could do a cascade the first day - unless he is using scarves. But then I may just be an extreme klutz. It is, however, not nearly as difficult as many people imagine to work up to three ball juggling.
I can keep 3 clubs in the air between 6 to 10 throws. It's been extremely difficult to make any progress from this point, though...
[quote]
On 2010-10-13 12:54, Arkadia wrote:
Gaddy: I created a routine some years ago that I still do in all my shows. It is all about a juggling tricks that screw up. Linking rings all the way. And I have a lot of fun doing that routine.
[/quote]

Arkadia: Sounds like a fun and novel routine. Any video of it on Youtube?
Personally I don't draw boundaries in entertainment. I will juggle, perform magic, physical comedy, and anything that will give an audience experience they can only get by my street performance.

So, Gaddy, juggle buddy.

just a suggestion...

JerryB
Nops no videos. Don't want it nicked. ;)
[quote]
On 2010-10-19 05:20, Arkadia wrote:
Nops no videos. Don't want it nicked. ;)
[/quote]

Will have to go to back up plan...talking the wife into a trip to Sweden! :)
You're more than welcome. I will show you all the great (!?) pitches. Seriously though - if a busker comes over here. I'm there to help!
[quote]
On 2010-10-09 12:18, Mr. Pitts wrote:
[...]and nobody ever says "I know how you did that".
[/quote]

Yeah, they ask you if you can do one more.

Although I got into magic as a form of highly abstract juggling, particularly coin flourishes and sleights.
[quote]
On 2010-11-15 04:14, mtb wrote:
Although I got into magic as a form of highly abstract juggling, particularly coin flourishes and sleights.
[/quote]

Ironically while I can do 3 ball, 4 ball (a few of 5 ball), clubs, knives...and various juggling tricks...I can't do a decent coin or card flourish to save my life...
Imgic: Nor can I. Yet. Juggling is way easier.

http://www.coinmanipulation.com/ has some stuff though, so will be working through some of that when I get the chance. Some of the tricks are murderous.