(Close Window)
Topic: Cool Vampire Flick
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Oct 10, 2010 10:52PM)
"Let Me In"

Highly recommended version of the critically acclaimed "Let The Right One In." Saw it today with mid-high expectations which were far exceeded. Not for those who are squeamish about the sight of blood.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Oct 10, 2010 10:59PM)
Is that the one with the little girl vampire?
Message: Posted by: rossmacrae (Oct 10, 2010 11:00PM)
Seeing who directed it and that it was an American remake of an excellent foreign film, I hated the very thought of it.

But I have heard that it's almost the equal of - maybe even better than - the original. From the clips and trailers I've seen so far, I think it may really be better.

If so, it's a "thinking man's horror film" (I mean that in a very good way).
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Oct 10, 2010 11:08PM)
Yes, Santa...little girl vampire (Well, she's 12, but as she says, she's been 12 for "a long time").

I haven't seen the original, but I intend to soon. Having said that, it's hard for me to imagine anyone being disappointed in this version.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Oct 10, 2010 11:16PM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-10 23:59, MagicSanta wrote:

Is that the one with the little girl vampire?
[/quote]
Played by the lead girl from Kick-Ass, I do believe. She was great in that.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Oct 10, 2010 11:24PM)
My daughter (who loves such things) caught Let Me In at the Edmonton International Film Festival last month. She reported that the film is an excellent remake , but that it is an equal of the original. Very good, worth seeing, but given the choice see the original.

I'll take her word for it.

John
Message: Posted by: Payne (Oct 11, 2010 12:08AM)
I've been told that in the book the little girl is actually a little boy who can pass for a girl. Which makes the story just that much more creepy and disturbing.

I've seen the original Swedish version and enjoyed it immensely. Thus there is no reason to go see the remake. I here they are trying to do an American version of "The Host" as well. Sad.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Oct 11, 2010 12:11AM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 01:08, Payne wrote:
I've been told that in the book the little girl is actually a little boy who can pass for a girl. Which makes the story just that much more creepy and disturbing.

I've seen the original Swedish version and enjoyed it immensely. Thus there is no reason to go see the remake. I here they are trying to do an American version of "The Host" as well. Sad.
[/quote]

Why is that sad?
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Oct 11, 2010 12:19AM)
Hmmmmm.....perhaps we can fix her up with the boy from The Tin Drum?
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Oct 11, 2010 01:21AM)
I plan to see this this weekend ! Very exciting.
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Oct 11, 2010 01:21AM)
The Tin Drum is on this weekend? Cool!
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Oct 11, 2010 01:25AM)
I'm waiting for the anime version. You know there's gonna be one.

:online:
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Oct 11, 2010 01:51AM)
They better not make the cartoon character Asian....
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Oct 11, 2010 03:50AM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 02:51, MagicSanta wrote:
They better not make the cartoon character Asian....
[/quote]

:exclaim: :hysteric:
Message: Posted by: critter (Oct 11, 2010 10:42AM)
I've been sick of vampires since the "Interview" movie came out and Hot Topic opened, but I am actually excited to see this one.
Oh wait, I liked the "Angel" show too. Typically great ensemble cast from a Joss Whedon series.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Oct 11, 2010 11:23AM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 02:51, MagicSanta wrote:
They better not make the cartoon character Asian....
[/quote]

!! Callback of the Year
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Oct 11, 2010 11:25AM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 11:42, critter wrote:
I've been sick of vampires since the "Interview" movie came out and Hot Topic opened, but I am actually excited to see this one.
Oh wait, I liked the "Angel" show too. Typically great ensemble cast from a Joss Whedon series.
[/quote]

I also enjoyed "30 Days of Night" quite a bit.
Message: Posted by: critter (Oct 11, 2010 11:34AM)
Yeah, I guess there've been a couple of exceptions. It's just bad associations with the vampire "romance" genre I guess.
Interview, Twee-light, any movie where Dracula looks like he's been doing Tae Bo...
Even though "Angel" had a lot of romance and looked like he worked out... Hm.
Nevermind, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Go zombies!
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Oct 11, 2010 03:07PM)
Zombies are more fun....I can't avoid Dead or Alive and Zombieland.
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Oct 12, 2010 01:22AM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 12:23, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 02:51, MagicSanta wrote:
They better not make the cartoon character Asian....
[/quote]

!! Callback of the Year
[/quote]

:napping:
Message: Posted by: rossmacrae (Oct 12, 2010 03:39AM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 01:11, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 01:08, Payne wrote:
I've been told that in the book the little girl is actually a little boy who can pass for a girl. Which makes the story just that much more creepy and disturbing.

I've seen the original Swedish version and enjoyed it immensely. Thus there is no reason to go see the remake. I here they are trying to do an American version of "The Host" as well. Sad.
[/quote]

Why is that sad?
[/quote]

In the book, long ago in his human life, Eli (a boy) was castrated by a vampire nobleman, which is how he got to be a vampire. It's quite an issue (though never explicitle explored) as to why Eli chose to live the centuries as a girl instead of a preadolescent boy. The rest of the book and the film, Eli never answers direct questions, and hints several times "I'm not a girl" (which the audience is left to think means "I'm not a human girl, I'm a vampire".) In Sweden, where the book was written, Eli is a boy's name. In that light, it's sad because she's "neither here nor there" both in the human/vampire sense and the gender sense, and it mirrors Oskar's situation: a boy whose treatment by the bullies includes abusive comments that he's a girl, and whose likely fate (and the only way he can really wind up loving Eli) is to become the next in her long line of once-human servants.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Oct 12, 2010 08:16AM)
[quote]
On 2010-10-11 00:24, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
My daughter (who loves such things) caught Let Me In at the Edmonton International Film Festival last month. She reported that the film is an excellent remake , but that it is an equal of the original. Very good, worth seeing, but given the choice see the original.

I'll take her word for it.

John
[/quote]

Typo: I meant "not an equal of the original". My apologies.