(Close Window)
Topic: Paul Stockmans Impossible Envelope
Paul Stockmans Impossible Envelope popped through my letter box this morning. After one quick trip to the stationers, Everything is ready, set, go! The method employed here is absolutely fantastic and so much fun to do! Just playing with it is so much fun. As per usual with Alakazam products, everything is produced to the highest standards. You get the dvd which includes the main handling, set up, performance notes and bonus ideas. It also comes with a couple of extra somethings to make the effect possible.

Iíve always loved the thought of starting of my walk around gigs with an envelope in hand, handing it to them at the beginning of the set, performing and then at the end of the set, everything card that had been picked, every name that had been written and every detail that had been used on that table, would be in that envelope that I gave to them at the beginning. Never have I found a method that would comply with the performance restrictions needed during a walk around set. With this edition of the effect, itís possible.

Ideally meant for parlor or stage, this can slot into most any style of magic. Card predictions, ring to impossible location and so much more. Paul briefly goes over a way to even have the lottery predicted. How awesome is that! I love the organic materials your using in this trick. Nothing reeks suspicious like a lovely polished box with silver glistening hinges and a subconscious sign above it saying ďTHIS IS HOW ITíS DONE!Ē.

With the envelopes, you get a truly impossible prediction, live in the show with practical no work on your part and because it is so organic, it wont seem out of place in any situation. I think magicians everywhere will be coming up with new and interesting ways that this could be performed. I myself have already come up with an interesting idea. Hats off to Mr Stockman who has released another solid effect that has clearly been well used in a variety of different situations and can fit into any one else's.

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Impossible-Envelope---Paul-Stockman-(PREORDER).html

Jamie Daws
This sounds AWESOME! I will definately have to check this one out! Thanks for the info Jamie!
This sounds very good. I think I shall order this myself.
I saw the demo video, I thought it was a bit overkill on the envelope in envelope in envelope with envelope taped to it.

I would like to know if this can be done with just one envelope with one taped on it, or one envelope in envelope
You can reduce the envelope amount. I start with an A4 then inside have a smaller on with one taped to it and inside that is the final one. Basically cutting out the largest envelope!

Jamie Daws
I received it on this week. All I can say this is awesome. The possibilities are really endless with this device. It goes instantly to my repertoire. I can give my highest recommendation for every mentalist.

Absolutely briliant work!!!

Thank you so much Paul for sharing this with us!!!!!

Martin
Ordered mine from RSVP, without giving too much away... is this hard to make? my craft skills are not the best!
Its not very hard to make at all. Theres not much to do in actuality. As long as you can cut in a straight line and use a tape dispenser, you'll be fine!

Jamie Daws
Thanks! I'll pop down poundland and get a tape dispenser, I think the DVd will arrive in the morning.
I have just used this in my lecture at Mindvention in Las Vegas and after the Demo all 100 copies that we had sold out.
thank you to everyone that came along. it was an amazing event once again.

regards
Paul
Just watched the video... its a fooler definitely, but I didn't like the envelope taped to the other envelope. It seemed gratuitous and therefor suspicious.

Is that required as part of the technique?
I picked this up at Mindvention...too cheap!!!

Love it!

Nathan
Cyberqat, its not 100% required but it really does add to the effect. It doesn't seem "suspicious" or even like your over-prooving yourself because you never point it out. It's just a subtle convincer of the impossibility.

Jamie Daws
[quote]
On 2010-10-21 06:46, JamieD wrote:
Cyberqat, its not 100% required but it really does add to the effect. It doesn't seem "suspicious" or even like your over-prooving yourself because you never point it out. It's just a subtle convincer of the impossibility.

Jamie Daws
[/quote]

Hmmmmm???? You do have this, right?
Received mine and I am very happy with my purchase. I will be using this in my cabaret / stage shows for certain.
TheGingerWizard, A very odd response. Of course I have it.

Jamie Daws
Ok sorry if I seemed a bit vague it's just that after watching the dvd I would of thought that the envelope taped to the envelope was 100% required! Maybe it's my misunderstanding!
Well the envelope has to be placed on the outside of one envelope but you can eliminate the tape if required and perhaps have it stapled on, glued on or maybe some other way to attach it. A little imagination goes a long long way!

Jamie Daws
Tape is the way to go though surely? it is by a country mile the best convincer IMO and there is certainly nothing suspicious about it. I take your point though!!
[quote]
On 2010-10-21 17:47, JamieD wrote:
Well the envelope has to be placed on the outside of one envelope but you can eliminate the tape if required and perhaps have it stapled on, glued on or maybe some other way to attach it. A little imagination goes a long long way!

Jamie Daws
[/quote]

Okay, then you were equivocating. Thanks for clearing this up. I thought it was obvious that what I was asking about was the little envelope ATTACHED to the big one. That you can attach it using spit and gum was irrelevant to my question,

I find the two envelopes attached to each other very suspicious and not well motivated.

I probably wouldn't do this trick.

Your mileage may vary.
My mileage will vary! It is not suspicious in the slightest. Many many things that mentalists do and get away with could be seen as suspicious if you dwelled on it long enough. There are justifications given for the envelopes on the DVD which to be honest aren't really that important. This is a fantastic utillity which is cheap, organic, easy, practical and best of all impossible!! If the audience gets to think about the envelopes for long enough to scrutinise the configuration it is the performer who needs adjusting, not the method!
[quote]
On 2010-10-21 19:04, Cyberqat wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-10-21 17:47, JamieD wrote:

Jamie Daws
[/quote]

Okay, then you were equivocating. Thanks for clearing this up. I thought it was obvious that what I was asking about was the little envelope ATTACHED to the big one. That you can attach it using spit and gum was irrelevant to my question,

I find the two envelopes attached to each other very suspicious and not well motivated.

I probably wouldn't do this trick.

Your mileage may vary.
[/quote]

I agree with Cyberqat. What's the reason for taping or glueing an additional envelope onto another one? It looks suspicious.

Robert
I haven't even opened mine yet but I am fairly certain you could pull the smaller envelope out of a slightly bigger envelope...I don't dare say more but I think the creative mind will figure out what I mean.

Nathan
Cyberqat, I thought you meant you had an issue with the tape itself. Thinking it looked too suspicious. What it's attached with would make a massive difference to each individual. Some may think plastering one side of it with tape is a bit to much. A staple in the top is subtle and yet clearly in position. Its' something that's not as in your face as a load of tape stretched across the back of it.

Nathan Pain has is exactly right. You could just pull that envelope out of the slightly larger one. Using a very popular move used for card to box for example. Again, it's all imagination. Im sure Paul wont mind me saying this but just because Paul prefers to perform the effect a certain way, it doesn't necessarily mean it is the right way. that's why hes asking for other peoples ideas and handlings using the principle.

Jamie Daws
Jamie got it...using that move it is too easy to just pull the envelope out of another envelope...or perhaps just dumping it out of the envelope...

Nathan
I saw Paul perform and Lecture this at Mindvention in Las Vegas.

One Word describes what we saw AMAZING !

His sales table was swamped directly after his lecture with people desperate to buy this.

I can understand why it SOLD OUT there for sure.

So many ways to use this and I have already sent Paul my ideas for his book that will accompany this release.

Paul was one of the highlights of Mindvention this year and he made many many new fans that's for sure.

But Paul please increase the Price of The Impossible Envelope its far too cheap.
Please don't' increase the price yet!
[quote]
On 2010-10-20 17:38, Cyberqat wrote:
Just watched the video... its a fooler definitely, but I didn't like the envelope taped to the other envelope. It seemed gratuitous and therefor suspicious.

Is that required as part of the technique?
[/quote]

The newest issue of Magic Magazine reviews "Impossible Envelope" and although the overall critique is quite glowing - there is a mention of the taped envelope and also a suggested workaround to perhaps improve the handling. Page 80 of the new Magic Magazine.

For those who have this, is the "Lottery Prediction" effect on the DVD similar to Craig Petty's R&S idea this past December or is this similar in name only?
I got Impossible Envelope and I love it. The psychological subtlety of the circ*** page n***** only is worth the entire price of this little gem.
I performed this last friday and it worked fine. Though you need some distance from the rest of the spectators, if you want to avoid any problem. Just my $ 0.2.
Well done Paul!
I also think that this product is under-priced, an incredible and great clean way to predict cards and other things. http://tinyurl.com/bn8quht
[quote]
On 2011-11-28 18:56, john-pears wrote:
I also think that this product is under-priced, an incredible and great clean way to predict cards and other things. http://tinyurl.com/bn8quht
[/quote]

I prefer Pablo's eBooks.
[quote]
On 2011-11-28 19:14, J.Prager wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-11-28 18:56, john-pears wrote:
[/quote]

I prefer Pablo's eBooks.
[/quote]

What kind of psychotic are you? You are accusing people without having any proof of your comments. Now please leave me alone.
Dear Forum,

I'm thinking of picking this up because of the methodology. I have a presentation I would like to use for "Confabulation". My question is does this methodology require you to perform it with the newspaper and word or can you present it like a straight confabulation where predictions are noted throughout a "pre-written" paragraph? Thanks for your input.

Henok
I have 5 amazing confabulation-style routines off the top of my head that I could use with this. Nice.
[quote]
On 2013-01-22 13:28, TheMag1cian wrote:
I have 5 amazing confabulation-style routines off the top of my head that I could use with this. Nice.
[/quote]

that would be a fun show ;)
Can this be used for close up?
Finally got around to watching the demo for this. I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with those who find the "taped on" envelope to be suspicious. Unnatural might be a better word. I feel like it dilutes the effect, as does the fact that there is a second slip of paper that comes into play, as well as all the "handling" of all the various envelopes by the magician.

The audience may not know how the magician got the prediction in the final envelope, but after all the confusion created by the multiple envelopes and amount of paper being untaped and opened and passed around, it may not matter. Just my honest opinion, for what it's worth.
Yes. It is a little envelope heavy. And as for the taped envelope business!?!
The basic idea and handling for loading the innermost envelopes "into" the bigger ones is inspired, even if the taped-on envelope approach at the end seems a bit strange. I'm going to experiment with a possible method to actually (appear) to remove the innermost 2 envelopes from the larger ones instead of having it taped on, using a simlar method for removal of the inner envelopes from the bigger ones. If I'm successful, I'll post the results here (without giving away the actual secret of "Impossible Envelope" of course).
[quote]
On 2013-06-13 13:28, ahofer wrote:
The basic idea and handling for loading the innermost envelopes "into" the bigger ones is inspired, even if the taped-on envelope approach at the end seems a bit strange. I'm going to experiment with a possible method to actually (appear) to remove the innermost 2 envelopes from the larger ones instead of having it taped on, using a simlar method for removal of the inner envelopes from the bigger ones. If I'm successful, I'll post the results here (without giving away the actual secret of "Impossible Envelope" of course).
[/quote]

Were you successful. One thing that always amazes me is how cool we think an effect is as a performance, then find out the method, only to turn around and find issues. We should always be alert to improvement, but constant criticism in our Art does nothing good.

Best
I've been using this method for over a year now. Fried a room full of reporters at a media appreciation dinner with their very own newspapers. I've even presented it in an almost "in the round" position with 2 levels of spectators above me for an International Gala dinner. Being magicians, it may look suspicious, but at the end, the spectators do not look for that. all they think about is the end result. I've performed this with no changes to handling and I'm happy to say that this routine slays.
I am having a hell of a time finding the right size envelopes in the usa.
'
the PDF has me getting C4-C6-A5

as well as 226x310 / 102x108 / 76x102

also trying to find self seal non gummed is very hard..I have tried all the office stores around...is there an online dealer or something..i would really like to add this to my act.
You don't have to use the "exact" same sizes.

Just think of them as a gudieline
Any more reviews of feedbacl on this?

Hit or miss?
I just wanted to say this is one of the best predictions I had seen in a long time its so clean