(Close Window)
Topic: Grapling gadget
Message: Posted by: Arkadia (Oct 27, 2010 06:23AM)
Hi there!

I've been surfing all afternoon and can't find what I need. Perhaps some of you masterminds know where to look.

I am workin on a stilt routine (streets can be tough so we need to flesh out right?) and I need a grappling gun of sorts. I want it to be a combination of these two:


If you get what I'm after.

If you can find such a thing - I will be a happy camper!
Message: Posted by: remote guy (Oct 27, 2010 07:44AM)
Not sure if this will work for you but here is a tool that is used in the HVAC industry to lift filter boxes to a rooftop.


Message: Posted by: Arkadia (Oct 27, 2010 07:56AM)
Thanks for the idea, but it is way to big. I am after something you can hold in your hand and "shoot" out by the same principle as the first picture.
Message: Posted by: pslaughter (Oct 27, 2010 08:49AM)
Don't know if this would help but you can take and extendable shower mirror that has the same are as the scissor lift and attach the gripper unit to the end. The problem is it wouldn't be functional. It is going to be hard to find an extendable gripper like you want because most of the "grippers" are actuated by rods rather than a cable. Even a cable would dangle when the gizmo wasn't extended.

Good luck!
Message: Posted by: Stellan (Oct 27, 2010 10:12AM)
I think the actual term för this type of device is "lazy tong device" or possibly "lazy tong mechanism". I think that will put you on the right track.
Message: Posted by: Chance (Oct 27, 2010 12:33PM)
Try this page Ark. Scroll down to where it says "Reach Extenders". It doesn't "shoot out", but it will put you on the right track I think:


Here's a bunch more:


Search under "medical~reacher~grabber".
Message: Posted by: D. Yoder (Oct 29, 2010 05:38PM)
I'm assuming you want to be able to get things from ground level when you are on the stilts. What is it that you want to grab?

Could it be stabbed instead? I've seen forks that extend much like a car aerial. A telescoping rod that is used for reaching hooks or eyes set high on a wall would give you a longer reach.

Are you looking for humor as well as functionality? Could you use something that is pulled or reeled in?

Years ago I saw something called a Whacky Whipper that was a sticky hand on the end of a rope. You threw the hand at what ever you wanted and pulled it in. How about a short fishing rod that you drop a sticky "hand" from and then reel in your "catch"?
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Nov 9, 2010 03:10PM)
You may be able to adapt a rivet gun...
Message: Posted by: Arkadia (Nov 10, 2010 05:41AM)
Thanks everyone! With a little help from my friends (you guys included) I have found a way to make it work. I will post pictures - but I think it will take a while before it is finnished.

Thanks again!
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Nov 22, 2010 04:11PM)
Message: Posted by: Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov (Nov 22, 2010 04:46PM)
"And now I will perform the Indian Rope Trick."

Great find Gaddy.