(Close Window)
Topic: Spectators on Video
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but without the "Search" feature, I need to ask again...

I am considering adding some performance video to my website and I'm wondering if it's required to get the spectators to sign some sort of legal release to appear in any video that I plan to post on my site.

I'll ask my attorney for the "legal" answer, but I'm wondering what has been done in the real world. Have you used such form? Why? Why not?

Thanks for your help,
Jeff
The name of the form is called a "model release", so that should answer your question.

Bob Phillips
Thanks for help with the correct name, Bob.

Have you used one?

Thanks,
Jeff
I never bothered with such a thing. If they just so happen to come across their video and want to get taken off then no problem. I'll just replace their video with someone else.

But if you really want to do the model release thingy then it is better to record and then say, "Can I record you and use this for my website and other promotional materials?" So now you have them on video saying that you can record.
If your just getting a crowd shot, no problem, however if it is a volunteer, then you may want a model release.
Jeff
I took the liberty of looking at your web site (because we are neighbors) and I was very impressed with it. The one thing I found that I did not like was the black writing on the blue backround I found very hard to read. I like your smiling picture, and the way you define your territory. Perhaps I'll meet you at a local magic meeting.
[quote]
On 2010-10-28 14:28, Paddy wrote:
If your just getting a crowd shot, no problem, however if it is a volunteer, then you may want a model release.
[/quote]

Yea, it's the volunteers that I'm most concerned with, so I'll ask my lawyer to give me an appropriate document for anyone that comes up to help out.

Thanks for the input folks!