(Close Window)
Topic: Springy wire?
Message: Posted by: Ed_Millis (Nov 2, 2010 09:24AM)
That springy wire that's in auto window shades, collapsable bins, and certain magic props - where do you find it? And are there any "not-for-beginner" misgivings in using it?

Message: Posted by: natswift (Nov 2, 2010 01:16PM)
If this is what you're looking for Grainger has it.


Also a lot of door manufacturers use it for industrial roll up doors.

As far as "not for beginner" I guess it depends on what you're doing with it...
Message: Posted by: Frank Douglas (Nov 2, 2010 01:36PM)

Do you mean the wire that is in the twist to fold windshield shades?

You fold it and twist it to make it compact, and you release it and it pops open?

Like the what is used in [url=http://www.creativemagic.net/stage/victorycubes.htm] Victory Cubes[/url]?

Message: Posted by: Ed_Millis (Nov 2, 2010 01:50PM)
No - sorry. Like the sun shades for your car and mesh bins that you can twist and they fold up, then pull out and they spring back into shape. Also used in pop-up hampers like this: http://tinyurl.com/2e3dhe6

Just wondering when it can be purchased, and if it needs a light, expert touch to keep it able to spring back.

Message: Posted by: Frank Douglas (Nov 2, 2010 02:11PM)

check out this video... watch the opening... he pops open the Vic Cube.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFeBJ9Yqd8&feature=player_embedded#!]Victory Cube Video Clip[/url] the pop open is about 18 seconds into the clip.

I'm thinking this is the type of spring/flat steel wire you are asking about.

I fly a hot air balloon and I have a heavy duty one in the skirt that hangs down from the bottom of the envelope.... it pops open like a dash protector shade and it's a double twist to fold it to about 1/3 the diameter in the full open position.

If it is; it is a piece of flat steel that is joined at the ends to form a loop. Like a bandsaw blade without the teeth.

Message: Posted by: Ed_Millis (Nov 2, 2010 02:47PM)
That's it exactly, Frank. That's the principle as the pop-open bin I got the my Five-Card Opener and my car windshield shade.

That's a _flat_ wire? Maybe it's run inside a wrapper or something. I've never felt an edge - always thorugh it was round.

Is there a special type or grade to get? Or can I take an old tape measure blade and slice it thin?

Message: Posted by: Frank Douglas (Nov 2, 2010 03:54PM)
I'm not sure on the small ones exactly what's inside...... buy a cheap shade and dissect it.

The flat is what allows it to spring on my balloon's skirt. A metal tape measure will be too thin.

I'm pretty sure it's some time of spring steel though.

Message: Posted by: remote guy (Nov 2, 2010 10:13PM)
SuperElastic Nitinol may be what you are looking for.


Message: Posted by: Frank Douglas (Nov 3, 2010 07:42AM)

I seem to remember seeing some sort of flexible nylon rod somewhere. This may be what you are looking for. Flexible enough to bend and not break, and holds it's shape.

I'll do a little research and see what I can find.

Message: Posted by: Ed_Millis (Nov 9, 2011 02:45PM)
A year lateer, I'm still getting PMs and emails wondering if I've ever found this wire.
So ... just to close out a thread that keeps on giving ...

I cancelled the project I had in mind.
The best advice was in one of Frank's posts:
buy a cheap shade and dissect it.

Hope this helps anyone still looking.