(Close Window)
Topic: Best effects with a memorized deck
Histed Heisted has been getting lots of praise. What else is there?
For starters:
"Any Card At Any Number" (see Tamariz Versions in "Mnemonica"...)
The classic "Divination" and
"Three Piles" from Mnemonica
Stop Trick with a freely named card (estimation and stud s****ds)
"New Deck Order" (when using a stack like Tamariz's...)
"The Invisible Deck" Mike Close (with a normal deck...)
"The Three Card Location" Steve Ehlers
"Unforgettable" Pit Hartling
"Everybody's Lazy" Simon Aronson
"Mnemonicosis" Juan Tamariz
"Birthday Book" Alex Elmsley, see also Aronson's work
There is a great effect in Scams by Ortiz using a memorized deck
If you don't have any specific types of effects in mind then I'd suggest reading anything you can by Simon Aronson and Juan Tamariz. I'd highly recommend Mnemonica as it has so much information. Great effects, ways to handle a MD, how to shuffle (and unshuffle) a MD, etc. Just a treasure trove of information.
Joe Riding has (I suppose had)one of the best routines out there.
Check out Darwin Ortiz memo effects, blockbuster concepts.
Past-Present-Future by Simon Aronson. It's in his book Simply Simon, on page 153. I use his idea of a wallet index. I've gotten great spectator reactions with this. Also, Marlo's Miracle with Cards in Ibidem 8 is a great mind reading effect. It has some of the impact of Histed Heisted, but is easier to do.
For a good mentalism routine check out Derren Browns lecture.
I LOVE Bill Malone's Hands Off Memory Test. It's the reason I learned the memorized deck. It has all the best features of a mem deck:

Weighing the Cards cut and having the correct number
Telling a Spectator an unseen card they selected and put into their own pocket
Impossibly memorizing a small stack of cards a spectator cut and shuffled, then correctly and directly naming the card they merely thought of within that shuffled packet without fishing.

It's an incredible trick.
The Birthday Book effect is very hard to top...
I'm wondering if somebody can tell (before I buy the DVD) me if Bill Malone's "Hands Off Memory Test" is specific to the Aronson stack, or will it work with any stack?

My own mem-deck isn't the Aronson.

Cheers!
Most of the card effects in the "Covert Use of Memory Technique" section of [url=http://www.scribd.com/doc/397402/Memory-Effects]my memory effects list[/url] use a memorized deck.
But does Bill Malone's "Hands off Memory Test" work with any stack, or just the Aronson stack?
[quote]
On 2011-04-05 22:24, Artie Fufkin wrote:
But does Bill Malone's "Hands off Memory Test" work with any stack, or just the Aronson stack?
[/quote]

Artie,

First off, welcome to the Café and I hope that you find your stay here both enjoyable and productive.

As to your above question...I don't know about "any stack" but the effect definitely works with any memorized deck stack (like the Aronson Stack or the Tamariz Stack) where you both know each card in order in the memorized deck and you also know the stack number position of each card.

For instance, in the Aronson Stack, you'd have to know that the Jack of Spades is Card #1 and Card #1 is the Jack of Spades. Likewise, the King of Hearts is Card #30 and Card #30 is the King of Hearts.

In other words, it is not good enough to know what cards immediately precedes and follows the King of Hearts, you have to know Stack # positions of all of the cards.

I don't believe that "stacks" like the "Si Stebbins" and the "Eight Kings" stacks would work for this effect. I might be wrong here, but that is what I am recalling about that effect...and those stacks.

Best,

Mike
Thanks Mike, I do the Joyal stack, so I'm OK to go ahead and pick up Bill's DVD!
I don't know any besides Bannon's "Dead Rising", I always get fantastic reactions with it! though you technically don't have to memorize it.
Past-Present-Future, already mentioned above, is such a perfect trick that if you haven't learned a memorized deck yet, forget your classic pass practice for the next two months, learn the deck and the trick, and be a very happy camper.
Message: Posted by: Sock Puppet Monkey (Apr 8, 2011 06:47PM)
Ok I just ordered Simon's book after reading these glowing recommendations. Will report back once I have a chance to learn it and test it out.

SPM
Then don't forget to look up Simon's "Everybody's Lazy", it's another gem. Hope you've ordered "Simply Simon". Jan
From all those great effects already mentioned I like the ultimate free handling and mixing of cards in Topsy Turvy best! It's extremely organic and for the face-up/face-down layout of the cards I employ a plot that completely justifies this setup logically!
Message: Posted by: Sock Puppet Monkey (Apr 9, 2011 01:11PM)
[quote]
On 2011-04-09 04:48, JanForster wrote:
Then don't forget to look up Simon's "Everybody's Lazy", it's another gem. Hope you've ordered "Simply Simon". Jan
[/quote]

I did indeed order SImply Simon. Will look up this effect as well.

Thanks!

SPM
I learned a memorized deck for Bill Malones trick also
[quote]
On 2011-04-08 08:57, landmark wrote:
Past-Present-Future, already mentioned above, is such a perfect trick that if you haven't learned a memorized deck yet, forget your classic pass practice for the next two months, learn the deck and the trick, and be a very happy camper.
[/quote]

If I had to pick my two favorite stack independent memorized deck effects, it would probably be "Past,Present, Future" (for use with a single audience participant) and "Four Part Harmony" (for use with four audience participants). However, since there are so many good and strong effects stack independent memorized deck effects out there, I'm fairly certain that I am forgetting some equally strong that I also like. But, I [i]think[/i] that the two above-referenced ones are are the two stack independent memorized deck effects that I enjoy performing the most.

Catch me on another day and,...I'll probably have switched one or both of these out for different one(s). (grin)

Mike
Mike, good that you mention "Four Part Harmony". It's incredible strong and so often overlooked. Jan
[quote]
On 2011-04-17 06:29, JanForster wrote:
Mike, good that you mention "Four Part Harmony". It's incredible strong and so often overlooked. Jan
[/quote]

Thanks for the validation on "Four Part Harmony". I love this effect and, for me, I find the calculation(s) required much more direct and easier to do "on the fly" than those in some of Simon's other [i]great effects[/i] (such as "Everybody's Lazy" and "Four Stop Intersection"). Besides the ease in calculation, I also love the varied revelation presentations...each seemingly more impossible than the last one(s).

Don't get me wrong. There are so many great memorized deck effects sprinkled through out all four of Simon's books that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting many many other great ones. As such, "my favorites" just comes down to a personal (probably quirky) choice of the two that [i]currently[/i] "speak to me". (grin)

Mike
The GEM I use in my show is the "Three-card Location" from Steve Ehlers.
Even if I sometimes change my act (adding or removing something), I keep and will always keep this killer routine !

Jérôme
[quote]
On 2010-11-20 06:35, JohnWells wrote:
[/quote]

Is Joe dead? Or what? I'm not understanding the use of the word "had". Thanks for any clarification in this regard.

Mike
Yes, Joe Riding passed away in 2005.

Dennis Loomis
[quote]
[/quote]

What is the name of the Joe Riding routine to which you refer? Is it included in the compiled 24 newsletter ebook that I found using Google? Thanks for the info.
The trick that finally got me to learn a mem deck was 'The Zen Master' from Scams & Fantasies, Darwin Ortiz. What a baffling, well constructed effect. Someone performed this for me and I immediately picked up a copy of Bound To Please by Aronson.
And Darwin's book as well of course!
Message: Posted by: Sock Puppet Monkey (May 10, 2011 11:05PM)
I've been reading Simply Simon and am really enjoying his work on the concept of the open index. I felt somewhat validated in that I came up with some of the ideas that Simon had independently. I've been using an impression device (Labco Mindbuster Mini) in conjunction with the Tamariz stack to do ACAAN. The effect has been very very well received. To me, this section of the book was worth the price of the entire book. Still haven't decided on my favourite effect from the book yet.

SPM
Does anyone know the name/source of the aforementioned Joe Riding routine with a memorized deck? Thanks :sun:
Some examples of effects that I use a lot, they are very good:

Shuffle Tracking by Simon Aronson
Invisible Card by Simon Aronson
Test Your Luck by Darwin Ortiz
Zen Master by Darwin Ortiz
Card Sense by Darwin Ortiz
Last Laugh by Darwin Ortiz
Billion Dollar Brain by Darwin Ortiz
Whenever I get the right opportunity I love performing Simon's Four Stop Intersection. Pure mind reading with cards!
[quote]On Mar 12, 2015, The_MetalMaster wrote:
Whenever I get the right opportunity I love performing Simon's Four Stop Intersection. Pure mind reading with cards! [/quote]

The math is simple and the effect is great. JanFoster has some improvements--Message him!
[quote]On Mar 13, 2015, lcwright1964 wrote:
Whenever I get the right opportunity I love performing Simon's Four Stop Intersection. Pure mind reading with cards! [/quote]

The math is simple and the effect is great. JanFoster has some improvements--Message him! [/quote]
I appreciate that. will do! thanks
[quote]On Mar 13, 2015, lcwright1964 wrote:

The math is simple and the effect is great. JanFoster has some improvements--Message him! [/quote]

His improvement is on Four Part Harmony
[quote]On May 8, 2011, Turk wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

What is the name of the Joe Riding routine to which you refer? Is it included in the compiled 24 newsletter ebook that I found using Google? Thanks for the info. [/quote]

Hello, All.

I still trying to find out the name (and source?) of the above-referenced Joe Riding memorized deck effect. [i]Any[/i] information in these regards would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
Mnemocosis, acaan, getting into ndo, almost everything from mnemonica
Anyone know about Joe Riding’s memorized deck effect? Thank you.
At the beginning of this thread, some people said that this is their favorite Memdeck routine. But follow ups by Turk and I have yielded nothing. Does anyone know what Joe Riding’s effect was? Cheers!
I know a lot about Joe Riding's mem deck (which he primarily used to raise money at charity events).

What exactly do you need to know fella?
Clearly not a lot.
I'm interested in the Riding routine as well. Maybe one of his friends can bury it print for us.
I'm not aware either of any published mem deck routine by Joe Riding (which of course doesn't mean anything). Merc Man, one thing many here would like to learn is where (if so?) his mem deck routines were published.
Otherwise, can you describe what made them special?
We all would love to know Mercman.

BTW, I somerimes only get to check the magic Café occasionally. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t very tinterested in your thoughts.

Thank you.
After seeing Pit Hartling perform I picked up his book "In Order". I have not yet memorized a deck but I thought his work and lecture were so good I bought the book anyways! Love his Sherlock effect.