(Close Window)
Topic: My Presentation idea: Torn 2 pieces
The sharing of another idea from the ever fruitful, though obviously disturbed, mind of Stephen E. Young (No I've never heard of him either)

I've been struggling for a while with Torn 2 Pieces by Shawn Farquhar (hope I spelt that right)
Not with the effect itself, it's a stunning piece of magic,
But with the choice of photograph.

Why would I want to leave someone with a miss-made photo of somebody's face.
"Because I can" isn't good enough, I wanted a premise that made the end result meaningful.

This is what I came up with;

The photo used is a photo of an album cover from a famous band
(for those younger than myself albums were what came before CD's)
(sorry CDs were what came before MP3s)

I explain that band released albums and fans would take them to concerts to hopefully get a signature from one of their idols (this is when I get them to sign the photo as a pretence of the rock stars autograph)

I then explain that inevitably bands split up (tearing the photo as I speak)

But, when the money runs out they quite often re-form (show photo from back)

But there are very rarely anything like the band they used to be (turn photo around, hand it out, walk away)

regards
Steve
Very nice idea, thank you for sharing.
Good thinking Steve. I like this idea better than your last one. :)

I'll have to give serious consideration to this as an alternative to the one I previously suggested to you. How do you play it if one of the original band members is dead or dies- unfortunately a not uncommon occurrence in that industry.
Usually bands replace one or more of the missing members.

Guns N Roses are on tour at the moment and there's only Axl Rose from the original line up.
I don't think missing members is an issue if you choose an album cover that has an picture rather than photos of the band.

Steve
Very nice & logical idea. Thank you for sharing.

:xmas:
Nice thinking Steve.

There are so many bands that have done that or are doing it.
Glad there are some who like it.
Ustaaad, logical is exactly what I was aiming for, thanks.

steve
[quote]
On 2010-11-07 05:25, steveline wrote:
Glad there are some who like it.
Ustaaad, logical is exactly what I was aiming for, thanks.

steve
[/quote]

Logical, engaging, contains the celebrity factor...a very compelling spin on a powerful effect.

Well played!
Well, you've convinced me. Try as I might, I cannot come up with anything better. Well done, Steve.
Thanks guys.

Mr Crocodile, I'll be contacting you tomorrow.

Steve
Thanks guys.

Steve
That's a great idea, thank you
May I have permission to perform this scripting?
Of course. feel free.

steve
I just received this effect and I think the album cover is a great presentation idea. Definately gonna use it. Thanks for sharing.

kind regards
Sean
Steve, your stories are great and you definitely have a story teller talent. These story however are only illustrated by the magic and not about magic. It seems to me that our art would be served better by your obvious gift if you would make magic the main character of your stories.
Really great idea, I like it!
THANK YOU. I have struggled with performing this exactly for the reason Stephen noted. I think this "band" plot is provides a "logic" and opens itself to other "group" structures
I know this thread is old but here is an alternative presentation.

Have you heard the expression seeing is believing?

You might hear it every now and then but when it comes to magicians, we don't get the benefit of the doubt. In fact among many expressions such as the hand is quicker then the eye and it's up his sleeve we are also often accused of trick photography. This usually rears it head on TV shows where a magicians performances are so unbelievable the spectator can only think that there has to be a conspiritus arrangement to what their seeing.

Well for today's performance we are going to show everyone some trick photography using this photo.

Now to be honest magicians have only got onto trick Photography over the last few years, where industry's such as the fashion industry and Woman's Magazines have be photoshoping and paint brushing images of people for even longer.

What they do is they dissect the image (start tearing the photo into quarters) and scrutinise every part (look at each turn part)then in some vain attempt to make things better then modify it.

When the image is put back together (restore the pieces) it resembles nothing as it originally was.

Magically

Aus
"it resembles nothing as it originally was. "

This theme keeps coming up in regards to this effect. I think the same can be truthful about our own selves... That sometimes we might go through a rough time or a difficult situation and although we have healed .... we resemble now an alternative version of our former selves ....

Signing the face of the photo the spectator becomes that photo and you may ask " Can you think of a time when you felt like you were torn?"
Wow, such an emotional piece, I love it, it also it very relatable. Thank you for sharing it with us.
I also like Aus alternative presentation, especially the line "it resembles nothing as it originally was. "
It can work with topics like relationship, memories, ethics.
I just picked up this effect...these are some great ideas...thanks for sharing
I use a photo of myself and I have it pre initialed at the top right-hand corner. I introduce the photo and point out my initials, I ask them to initial the lower left corner (I fold the photo into quarters and hand them the photo for them to initial).

I now say, I am now going to move my initials down the photo and right next to yours....I then tear up the photo and mix up the "four" pieces, I open up the photo so the picture is facing down and I mention that the torn corners are are the outside...And the only way I could get my initials next to theirs was to change the position of every piece :-)

It works, it's sort of logical, it's funny ish, and they buy into it....

Another presentation I use is how I have combined my love of magic with my love of art, and that my favourite artist was Picasso....Of course the final image is sort of Picasso..ish :-)

Have fun!

Gary Jones.
I've been thinking about this effect and I get a commercial idea:
the photo is shown but in disorder, not in order. so I take a photo of the place that I'm working, as I work in restaurant I show the logo of the restaurant and talk about the restaurant. Then the photo is restored but in the logo of the restaurant