(Close Window)
Topic: Ring on Rod
Time to pick your brains!

A friend showed me a Ring on Rod cabinet that was built by a local magician, who has sadly passed away.

My friend said that he saw this effect performed at fairly close range in a close-up contest.

The cabinet has a top door, and two front doors that open outward, like barn doors. The rod passes through the cabinet from side to side.

The only gimmick found is the floor, which is hinged at the rear. When opened, it uncovers a compartment that hold 2 steel rings. It also has two large spikes, but we think that may be for either another effect with the same cabinet, or a different trick altogether.

On the underside of the false floor trap is a small cup hook near one side, and a locking pin near the opposite side. This pin can be pushed into a small hole in the side wall of the cabinet, and it keeps the false floor open.

There seems to be no way that the floor would elevate a ring as with some other versions of this effect. It simply opens to reveal the compartment underneath.

There do not seem to be any embedded magnets anywhere. It may be possible that a thread was used in this somehow, but at that point we hit a dead end.

It was mentioned to me that this magician was very fond of a Jack Gwynne book, so we were wondering if that may be some connection. I also think that he passed away before the Charvet book on Gwynne came out.

I do not own any books on Gwynne, so I cannot research this, but if someone else does, hopefully they can tell me if this effect is in any book that they have. This would point me in the right direction.

I know several versions of the Ring on Rod cabinet, but this one has me stumped.

Thanks!