(Close Window)
Topic: Spectator with 'special powers'
Message: Posted by: Bartelli (Nov 22, 2010 12:33PM)
I'm looking for effects where the spectator is the mind reader, or has other special powers. (e.g.: drawing dupe where spectator duplicates the performers drawing, or where the spectator does some kind of russian roulette, maybe without knowing so or spectator locates a hidden object)

I would like to be able to give or activate these special powers in the spectator, if only for a few moments.
Message: Posted by: parmenion (Nov 22, 2010 12:45PM)
Redford has a booklet about that.
Kennedy DD
Johnathan Pickard
Tillard in one of his book
Lesley in his book.
Dee dee Christopher
Karmilovich in the Bascom Jones
etc...
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Nov 22, 2010 02:50PM)
My ESPsycrets routine builds to a point at which the participant appears to have gained the ability to read minds.

My The Third Man effect appears to show spectator-owned abilities too (it's currently not available - sorry).

I mention these not to flog my wares (much :)) but to note that I think that these types of effects are really attractive. They avoid the element of, "look how great I am," that is so often the core part of mentalism effects. Make it about them, not you...

T.
Message: Posted by: Stephen Young (Nov 22, 2010 02:52PM)
My new routine for Jon Allen's Pain Game makes the spectator the star as they decide which bags I crush, and which I leave alone. Avoiding the spike.


steve
Message: Posted by: funsway (Nov 22, 2010 03:16PM)
My "Close Call" is still available at no charge (the price is feedback) from gusarimagic@comcast.net

The spectator is the hero in an impromptu reading of your mind
Message: Posted by: Bartelli (Nov 22, 2010 05:02PM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-22 15:50, Ted wrote:
My ESPsycrets routine builds to a point at which the participant appears to have gained the ability to read minds
[/quote]
Ordered this already a couple of days ago. :)
Message: Posted by: Miraclemakers (Nov 22, 2010 11:06PM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-22 15:52, steveline wrote:
My new routine for Jon Allen's Pain Game makes the spectator the star as they decide which bags I crush, and which I leave alone. Avoiding the spike.


steve
[/quote]
Yes... I used it too....
Message: Posted by: Bartelli (Nov 23, 2010 02:53AM)
I looked around for Pain Game. It's out of stock at my dealer. Any dealers in Europe that are still selling this?
Message: Posted by: Stephen Young (Nov 23, 2010 03:19AM)
You could order it direct from Jon

http://www.close-upmagician.com/index.html

Go to the magicians only section (there's a link on the left hand side, just scroll down)

I haven't had this long but I must say it's the effect I'm putting more work into than almost all my others.
I just love it.

It's quite a heavy package, I'm not sure what postage would be like.

Steve
Message: Posted by: Axel (Nov 23, 2010 06:40AM)
I think Alain Nu has a drawing dublication in one of his books that could be sold as reverse mind reading...

Best,

Lexa
Message: Posted by: DekEl (Nov 23, 2010 11:38AM)
I used this in my book, MindCraft: Perceptions. I think the effect was called Intuitional Power; essentially the mentalist bestows the power of intuition on a selected spectator which enables them to read the mind (or see the drawing) of another spectator.
Message: Posted by: parmenion (Nov 23, 2010 12:21PM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-23 07:40, Lexa wrote:
I think Alain Nu has a drawing dublication in one of his books that could be sold as reverse mind reading...

Best,

Lexa
[/quote]
That's right !
Also train of thoughts from Lee earle.
One of the best of this type.
Message: Posted by: bobser (Nov 23, 2010 12:30PM)
I honestly cannot think of any mentalist effect that CANNOT be accredited to a spectator. Unless someone can tell me differently?
I actually want to lose this one, honestly! ;)
Message: Posted by: Waters (Nov 23, 2010 09:44PM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-22 13:33, Bartelli wrote:
I'm looking for effects where the spectator is the mind reader, or has other special powers. (e.g.: drawing dupe where spectator duplicates the performers drawing, or where the spectator does some kind of russian roulette, maybe without knowing so or spectator locates a hidden object)

I would like to be able to give or activate these special powers in the spectator, if only for a few moments.
[/quote]

My "Forever Jung" effect meets that description exactly. A group draws simple symbols or designs. They are collected and mixed by someone in the group. Then, one is isolated and kept out of view of everyone (including the performer). The participant is able to duplicate the randomly selected design.
Message: Posted by: Merlin C (Nov 23, 2010 09:49PM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-23 13:30, bobser wrote:
I honestly cannot think of any mentalist effect that CANNOT be accredited to a spectator.[/quote]Yes. Is sending a thought less active than receiving it? (Johannes Trithemius didn't think so.) Likewise for prediction effects.

I'd also suggest that the idea of mental abilities as 'powers' -- anomalous things separate from the rest of human functioning -- is not only generally dubious but not conducive to plausibly demonstrating them in other people.

Lots of James Biss's effects are on the 'active participant' model.
Message: Posted by: brehaut (Nov 26, 2010 07:29AM)
I perform an effect that I combined from Lewis Jone's Seventh Hevean and a Knepper effect. Did it last night and it truely amazes and is unexplanable to the spectator. They choose a card and you put the deck down and don't touch it again. They place their card on the deck and then cut it as many times as they like. Then the spectator deals cards down until they want to stop. The card they stop on is their card. It is not 100% but there are outs that make it look 100%.