(Close Window)
Topic: RISK by Francesco Tesei
Hi Guys my dear friend Francesco Tesei has just released through Inner Mind Production his wonderful russian roulette routine with staple gun!
Im not here to say that is good because is my friend this is GOOD FO REAL!
If you want to add a russian roulette routine to your repertoire this is what you need.period!
More info here:
http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-RISK-by-Franceso-Tesei-DVD.html
Thank you Lucavolpe, I've just want to post a topic about Risk by Francesco Tesei.
I saw the demo video on Biokinesis DVD about 2 weeks ago, but I can't find an information about Risk.......
so, this is the link.......Thank's again.... :)
Here is the demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fHbP-sun8
Got this today it is brilant I am not a fan of russian roulet tricks but this ticks all the box you can do this as a mind reading or magic it was worth more than what I paid will be putting this in my act at my recdencies.

kind regards

kieron johnson
Kieron j,
does I need special staple guns or can I buy it at my next office store?

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 12:26pm
I received it yesterday and just watched the DVD.
Brilliant! One of the best magic tricks which I bought this year!
Now available from your favorite magic dealer.
And how is this different than the routine in Nimrod Harel's book: "Shalosh - Stage Work?"
ANY ONE FOUND THE RIGHT TYPE OF STAPLEGUN IN USA OR CANADA ?
[quote]
On 2011-02-09 07:51, martley wrote:
ANY ONE FOUND THE RIGHT TYPE OF STAPLEGUN IN USA OR CANADA ?
[/quote]

I am trying to find the answer to this question too!

Tom
Easy to find in UK. I am in Canada and found nothing close to it. Found some ther for about $122.00 cad.
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Home.asp
Wow. Peeves me right off when ads don't mention potential issues for finding the props you'll need to perform. I bought this and now I find out I might have problems finding what I need. Stupid.
Message: Posted by: thorsten dankworth (Feb 12, 2011 05:28PM)
[quote]
On 2011-02-11 16:18, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Wow. Peeves me right off when ads don't mention potential issues for finding the props you'll need to perform. I bought this and now I find out I might have problems finding what I need. Stupid.
[/quote]

I had no problem to get my stableguns for less than 20$ in germany, but how often I had the same problem like you patrick, when I bought a dvd from the US. Also stupid.
I live in Canada, but I agree.
Patrick found a model at Canadian Tire $19.99 that could do the job.

Mastercraft Sure Shot® Light-Duty Staple Gun
Product #57-7963-2
Nice! Thank you martley.
Martley, thank you for your suggestion!

Has anyone found a source for this in the States?

Thank you for your help.

Tom
According for what I found the Stanley TR150 - SharpShooter® Heavy Duty Staple Gun should to the job find. Stanley tool should be easely found in U.S.A

Bernard
Bernard,

Thank you, again, for your suggestion! Yes indeed, the Stanley TR150 seems to be available all over the US--including Amazon. I am also wondering if the Stanley TR35 Light Duty Tacker would be serviceable. (It seems very similar to the Rapid R53 in the DVD.)

Tom
I can't tell depend the way the staple load.
Both my suggestion work because staple load underneath.
If you go to an hardware store look for already open package or ask a clerk.
If it load underneath it will work.

Bernard
I bought a model today and it worked perfectly so I bought another three. However, only two of them work properly and I'm having difficulties with the other two. I don't know who to PM about this. I cannot discuss the issue openly.

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 8:32pm
Never mind, my staple guns came with different types of staples and I found that using cable staples work perfectly. I'm still curious as to why half of my guns don't work with regular staples though.
After testing a few staple guns I found out lots of model work perfectly.
Expensive one and cheap one. But you have to decide on something that you audience will believe
in the real thing and dangerous or fake one or magic stuff.
Playing Russian roulette with a small 22 caliper gun or a Colt Python 357 Magnun.In my mind the image
is not the same.
Bernard
Yeah, it`s not difficult at all to find staple guns that work for this effect. I don`t know what all the fuss was about concerning that. Made me frustrated for no reason.
This can be a staple of ones act...
[quote]
On 2011-02-17 11:48, joseph wrote:
This can be a staple of ones act...
[/quote]
Good one, Joseph!
This is brilliant..... something that I use for my stage or parlor performance......
The routine is so direct and it's safe for a type of roulette effect.
Highly recommended (10/10)
Thank you Francesco.....
I didn't find the Rapid R53 in my country,
But I have found 3 other types from the same brand ( Rapid ) : R13, R23, R34.

Does anyone know which one to buy?

Thanks,
Tom.
Do we have a final verdict of what guns work best in the USA? I would like to get this dvd but want to make sure I can get the right staple gun. Thnankssss
This DVD did to staple gun roulette what Scott Alexander did to smash roulettes... Simply amazing and pretty much impossible to top methodwise.

J-M
I find that in the US you can use the Arrow JT27 staple gun. I just bought 4 from Home Depot for 8.97 ea.
I use the Arrow JT27 also. An added bonus: It looks like what a staple gun should look like. Chrome/metal. The red-plastic staple guns used in the video almost look "fake." Like a toy?
I purchased a single Arrow JT27 yesterday in order to give it a try, but am having problems with it.

The manufacturers recommended staples, Arrow JT21, do not 'fit properly' in the stapler gutter/canyon. I have tried applying lube oil (WD40) in the gutter, as well as attempting to stretch-out the gutter a bit with pliers, but I still do not get the 'proper' function.

I'm concerned about being able to find any narrower staples than JT21 type, since that type is already narrower than standard office/desk unit staples.

I need some help please. I could use a suggestion (US available product) for narrower staples that will function properly for the Arrow JT27. Or, perhaps I should scrap the JT27, and go with a different model stapler. I would prefer to stick with the Arrow JT27 because it looks intimidating/frightening, and the price is great ($8.87 at Home Depot).

I hope I didn't get too graphic/detailed in my post, but I don't know how else to state the problem...if I went too far in my description, I guess we can have a moderator edit it.

Thanks.
Innermind,
I use the Arrow JT27, because like you said, it looks intimidating/frightening. Just to be on the safe side, I bought JT21 staples in 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8". The first ones I tried were the 1/4" and they worked perfectly. If you are using the 3/8" the "legs" might me a little long. Know what I mean? Send me a PM if you want to discuss more in depth.
Well, I'm a little late to the party on this, but have to weigh in (because I'm still grinning)!

This is a fantastic idea. I only plan to use 2 'guns' in my routine, but the general premise is absolutely brilliant!
Well done, Francesco. Thank you for sharing your 'discovery!'

e
I purchased the Arrow JT27 but have a question as how to prepare the gun. Can someone who has fixed the JT27 please PM me.

Thanks,

Steve
[quote]
On 2011-07-13 13:34, Steven Conner wrote:
I purchased the Arrow JT27 but have a question as how to prepare the gun. Can someone who has fixed the JT27 please PM me.

Thanks,

Steve
[/quote]

Got it worked out. This is absolutely incredible!!
I just watched this DVD. This is really brilliant. The best part is how fair this effect is. A real stunner! Highly recommended
I started using this about three months ago and it is getting phenomenal reactions. I perfromed it at the MAES Convention and will perfrom it this weekend at ICBM. I wrote a script for it that is stillbeing tweeked through perfromance and discussions with colleagues. I use the Arrow JT27's and they work perfectly. I also use a paperback book to shoot the staples through. I purchased a lazy susan/turntable at Bed, Bath and Beyond and it works great to hold the staple guns on and spin to mix them up.

Thanks to Francesco and Alakazam for releasing this.

Marc DeSouza
I purchased this effect and absolutely love it! I managed to get the same guns as used on the DVD. I love the fact that because of the method there is plenty of room for you to create your own ideas/script for the routine rather than having to strictly stick to one
This is definitley an underrated effect and truely a unique method. Highly recommended
I picked up the Arrow JT27 staple guns, prepared them properly and they function correctly, BUT...even with no staples, it really stings my skin when the trigger is pulled. Does anyone else have this problem?

Steve
Yes... I do.
Yes, me too.
I also have the ones used in the video.
They sting too, but the JT27s sting more.
I think its worth it.
It's really painful, or maybe I am just a big wimp. It left red marks on my arm when I tested it. I'm afraid to try it on my face or neck.
[quote]
On 2012-10-20 13:51, Steve Haffner wrote:
It's really painful, or maybe I am just a big wimp. It left red marks on my arm when I tested it. I'm afraid to try it on my face or neck.
[/quote]

I'm with you. I think I may take mine apart and see if I can't file it down a bit.
I had the stinging problem at first, but you will eventually learn to avoid holding/pressing it too closely against your skin, rather, hold it about a millimeter away from the skin. When creating the small/short distance from your skin, it still looks like you're holding it against your skin because the entire metal rail is pressed against your body surface, EXCEPT for the tip, which again you keep approx. a millimeter away from your skin(the audience cannot tell the difference).
[quote]
On 2011-10-05 17:48, brehaut wrote:
I just watched this DVD. This is really brilliant. The best part is how fair this effect is. A real stunner! Highly recommended
[/quote]

Just chiming in on this. If someone could point me to the DVD that uses standard Arrow JT27 staple guns, I would be very appreciative!
@guyactor,
Not sure I understand your request.
The Risk DVD uses staple guns (common?) in the UK.
Here in the US, I have substituted the the JT27 staple guns for the brand Tesei uses.
I have done this for reasons listed earlier in the thread (the silver JT27s look more like staple guns - compared to the red-plastic ones in the DVD. And...they look more dangerous.) I had the ones recommended in the DVD shiped to me in the States and then decided not to use them.
I am unaware of any DVD or even any You-tube videos of anyone performing with the JT27s.
I'm not very familiar with staple guns so cannot comment as to them being common here in the UK but I went on eBay and found the exact ones used in the DVD in a few seconds for a pretty reasonable price, going back a good few months now though but I'm sure they are still about,

they work perfectly, perhaps sourcing here and shipping to the UK would save a bit of trial and error grief for those in other locations?
[quote]
On 2012-12-23 11:56, RandyScott wrote:
@guyactor,
Not sure I understand your request.
The Risk DVD uses staple guns (common?) in the UK.
Here in the US, I have substituted the the JT27 staple guns for the brand Tesei uses.
I have done this for reasons listed earlier in the thread (the silver JT27s look more like staple guns - compared to the red-plastic ones in the DVD. And...they look more dangerous.) I had the ones recommended in the DVD shiped to me in the States and then decided not to use them.
I am unaware of any DVD or even any You-tube videos of anyone performing with the JT27s.
[/quote]

RandyScott - I've got access to the staple guns. Is there JUST a DVD that explains the effect, rather than purchasing the whole shebang?
@guyactor,

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13055

The DVD is the whole shebang. (It does not come with the staple guns. The DVD recommend a specific brand of staple gun...this has been the topic of many posts and discussion of different staple guns that would work.....not all brands/types will.)

@Olympic Adam
E-bay......of course.......I wish I would have thought of that. I was in such a hurry to obtain the staple guns, I ordered from a UK company, paid VAT(whatever that is), and paid a significant amount for shipping and handling. I'm embarrased to say that actual amount I paid for four of the recommended staple guns. Once I had tham, I didn't like the way they looked, wnet to my local hardware store, and purchased four JT27s for a fraction of the price I paid for the UK staple guns. Live and learn.
Excellent, thank you. Appreciate it RS. Merry Christmas.
Trial and error can be costly when there is a preferred version somewhere, similar problem with other apparatus, don't mind paying a little extra when I know it will save me looking and buying bad versions
I just picked this up and I am so happy with it. I really like the routine and I think it is very powerful. Headed to get my staple guns today! Smokey Mountain Magic has a complete set up if you don't want to do the work yourself. http://www.smmagic.com/?p=527
I also just got this and need some help finding the right staple guns. After checking out the post by Wayne, I decided to try and use the DeWalt's pictured in their ad...but I just can't get them to work right. I was able to figure out the 'easy part', but these things sting like the devil! I tried filing, but now they are unreliable - they won't reliably fire staples at the end of the routine. I may try longer staples now that I have done some filing (only using 5/16" right now).

I have a slightly larger Arrow - Model T50P - but I don't see how to make the Arrows work - they don't load from the bottom. It looks like to me the Arrow JT27 loads the same way as my larger Arrow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ryan
I don't know about the T50P, but the JT27s will work.
It will sting.......but, it will work.
There are several ideas to take away some of the sting, number of stings, or where it stings.
All depends on how you routine it. It does't have to be presented as Tesei does in his performance.
Then again, if you want the full presentation (the full effect), the sting is worth it.
I just went with the suggestion from others and got the JT27 and it works fine. It does sting a bit but careful placement on your skin will keep that from happening.
Purchased a couple of the Arrow JT27s and I can see why they will work - interestingly, they load different than my other Arrow staple guns. Can someone PM though about how you went about 'fixing' the guns? Thanks.

My only real concern about the stinging was wanting to put this in the spectator's hands to actually 'pull' the trigger. Still probably manageable though...

ryan
Never mind! My eyes aren't quite what they used to be - but I finally saw what I had been missing.
I recently did this at an event and it killed! Much better than expected. Doing it again next week!
I own the egg, the scorpion, and the beer bottle "Russian Roulet", but this will be my "go-to" parlour/stage routine RR routine unless working with kids. I really love it. As you can see with my other props, I don't want to be one of those guys with a knife stuck in his hand on YouTube.

Of all these, this one is fastest to set up (save the scorpion), and it is tough, and I don't need to worry about it getting beat up, squashed, "linty" or "sticky". I think this even has more "nervous anticipation" than the beer bottle, and I don't know why. All the others require some cover, and that cover can be blown off (it has happened to me), but "RISK" can withstand heavy gusts with no problem. I don't need a lint-free rag & water to clean it, and they don't stick together or absorb colors from other props. I'm keeping my others because I am sure I will want them on occasion, but "RISK" is my worker, and it is a true "road warrior". On top of it all, if I lose a prop (and I have) a replacement is in almost every city across the US, and is cheap to replace.

After looking in Home Depot, Harbor Freight Tools, Northern Tool and Lowes Home Improvement, I settled on the Stanley Bostitch 1/4-in Manual, Anti-Jamming, Heavy Duty, Staple Gun @ $13 each. It is heavy duty as apposed to the Arrow JT27($10 each) which is called a "Junior" staple gun (and looks it). The Stanley Bostitch has "HEAVY DUTY" in large letters on it, is all metal, AND has a large window on the business end to see the staples (for those like me who want to take no chances).

By being larger (and more dangerous looking) and needing a bit stronger squeeze, it has more "show" potential - especially when using a slighter woman. The extra $12 ($3 x 4) is more than worth it.

I recommend using the 1/4 inch staples because of less friction. I took a red Sharpie and laid it on a table. The height of the "marker" point is perfect to draw a red straight line on the upside down 1/4 staples. This red line is more visible than just the staples when looking in the "window", and I don't think it detracts from the trick at all. Okay, Perhaps I'm over-cautious, but I really don't want to get stapled!

It only takes 5 seconds (literally) to "do what you need to do" with the Stanley Bostitch to make it permanently "show ready" and I tried to make it "jam-on" and couldn't.

As InnerMind said for the "sting", if you rock it back so your skin is not actually touching the staple end (close, but not quite), as seen sometimes (but not discussed) in the video, there won't be an issue. If pressed lightly on the bare skin there will be a (slight) sting. If pressed hard against your bare skin so your skin is pushed up into the mechanism, it will sting. The sting actually helps the show because you will display real concern! ;)

You can add a little levity by having your *** "stapled", and in an "adult" show, other parts too.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_308823-79992-BT110_0__?productId=4196443&Ntt=staple+guns&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dstaple%2Bguns&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

KC Cameron
KC, the sharpie line is a great idea! I will adopt this if I may :)
I quit being a wuss and got used to the "stinging." Truth is, I never even feel it when I'm performing on stage.
Isn't there a bit much information in this thread now?

as a purchaser I value it but if I didn't have the DVD, I'm pretty sure there would be no need to buy it
[quote]
On 2013-07-15 17:53, Olympic Adam wrote:
Isn't there a bit much information in this thread now?

as a purchaser I value it but if I didn't have the DVD, I'm pretty sure there would be no need to buy it
[/quote]

I don't know.
I also appreciate the tips in this thread.
However, if I didn't have the DVD, I don't think I would take the RISK of putting a staple in my face.
The DVD has a lot more information. Information you need (not just finding a proper staple gun).
Hello all,

Sorry for the late post, but I just recently got the DVD. I found that Surebonder brand staple guns work well. I can vouch for the surebonder 3-in-1 and surebonder all-in-1, their other guns may work as well though, I just have not seen them.

Surebonder 3-in-1: http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-5600-3-in-1-Staple-Gun/dp/B0000BYC31/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1406354956&sr=1-6&keywords=surebonder+staple+gun $10.94 each

Surebonder All-in-1: http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-5650-All-In-1-Heavy-Staple/dp/B0000BYDQW/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1406355375&sr=1-5&keywords=surebonder+staple+gun $11.94 each

Successfully,
Tyler Carter C.H.
[quote]On Jul 26, 2014, magician2121 wrote:
Hello all,

Sorry for the late post, but I just recently got the DVD. I found that Surebonder brand staple guns work well. I can vouch for the surebonder 3-in-1 and surebonder all-in-1, their other guns may work as well though, I just have not seen them.

Surebonder 3-in-1: http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-5600-3-in-1-Staple-Gun/dp/B0000BYC31/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1406354956&sr=1-6&keywords=surebonder+staple+gun $10.94 each

Surebonder All-in-1: http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-5650-All-In-1-Heavy-Staple/dp/B0000BYDQW/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1406355375&sr=1-5&keywords=surebonder+staple+gun $11.94 each

Successfully,
Tyler Carter C.H. [/quote]

Yes, after striking out with the models available at the Home Depot, I found the Surebonder 5650 in a local hardware store for $22. That seemed high, so I ordered one from Amazon for $11.49 as a test and it seems to work perfectly. Ordering 4 more and adding my own twist to the presentation. Looking forward to reporting back to the group on this one.
Great effect! I've just got this & am using the Stanley Heavy Duty TR150 but one issue I'm having is, & hopefully people with the DVD will know what I mean, the grey part shown at the end of the video after the staple gun has been prepared appears to be on the bottom of the slider & can get in the way. Has anyone else experienced this & got any tips?
Sorry I should clarify, the piece is under the slider rather than at the bottom, & in a place where I can't get to it to do the recommended fix.

I've also had issues with the staples getting stuck and not behaving as they should. I'm using 10mm staples, does anyone know if a smaller size would help?

I'd also like to say I don't think there is too much info on this thread as I'd been through it before purchasing the DVD & didn't feel the secret had been tipped. In fact it's a shame we can't talk about things more openly, especially with an effect that has a few more variables due to the different staplers being used.

Thanks
Been doing this for quite awhile with the cheapest guns I could find from home depot... I find not using a full set of staples helps I put halfsies in and for a lot of reasons this works best.

Marty
Thanks Marty, have already been doing that & it def helps - too little can also have the opposite effect.

With the TR150 I've found a little adjustment of the end of the slider can help set things into place, if that makes sense. I am however hoping the 6mm staples means I don't have to do this as forgetting could be very dangerous indeed.
[quote]On Aug 10, 2014, Havens wrote:
Great effect! I've just got this & am using the Stanley Heavy Duty TR150 but one issue I'm having is, & hopefully people with the DVD will know what I mean, the grey part shown at the end of the video after the staple gun has been prepared appears to be on the bottom of the slider & can get in the way. Has anyone else experienced this & got any tips? [/quote]

I've now solved this issue, if anyone else is using these staple guns and wants any advice on gimmicking them please feel free to PM me with a little proof you have the DVD (a quick summary of the method will do!) and I'll be happy to let you know the procedure specific to this model.
Here is an update to the type of staple guns that can be prepared for the routine.

After reading this thread I went to Lowe's and Home Depot to test staple guns

I went to a Home Depot that had a very large selection of staple guns and began testing them by just opening the packages at the display.

The first one I tried actually drew blood from my hand; it was horrible, I had to run to the bathroom and wash my fingers and clean up the area in the sales floor where my blood was on the floor.

I tested a few more and I was getting to the point of mentally not wanting to press the gun against my body and pull the handle because of the pain.

Then... I tested the Stanly TR45; it was no pain at all; I was able to press it against my arm, my chest, my thigh, my hand, and I felt no pain.

The TR45 loads from the back, not from the bottom, but the results after the modification are the same

I would suggest you look at the Stanly TR45 for under $9.00 each
These look like the light version of the Stanley Heavy Duty TR150s I'm using. There's a bit of a bite to the heavy duty guns but I only feel it when practicing but don't notice it at all when performing. Well worth the upgrade I think as they look more menacing!

I don't know if you perform with your vent Howie but it could be funny to use him, the first 2 guns for on him and the third one on you. Just an idea!
I have never used "Dan" for the Roulette routine, the routine is new to me, but it's a great idea; I would need to use a sheet of paper between the staple gun and Dan's body to show the sheet of paper not being stuck to the figure and demonstrate he has no staple in him

Thanks
I picked up this effect (mostly because of all of you) and I honestly could not be happier! It is amazing, utter genius! I bought the Arrow 27s recommended, and they work great, but is there something more imposing? For stage, I find them a little small. Has anyone tried anything "bigger"? More imposing looking? If so, how is the "bite" on it (the 27's sting a bit, but not too bad).
As mentioned above I'm using the Stanley Heavy Duty TR150 and I think they look great, proper industrial. They do sting a bit but it's temporary. I've started to make this effect a big part of my set and I love it.
Curious to the size of the wood block you all carry with you. Still figuring out a size to fit in my briefcase that is not to small or to big but can be seen form stage.
The size I use is roughly 8"x6" plywood. It is fairly well visible, though smaller than a standard sheet of paper.
I use a small plank off cut, no bigger than a brick and about 1cm thick and it’s plenty big enough. I forgot once and stapled the paper to my table.
Is there any that load the same way as shown in the video? I feel when it loads from the back it shows the entire rod and for anyone who knows how staple guns operate it would be obvious what was done >