(Close Window)
Topic: I'm ready to hit the streets but the weather?
Hi guys I'm tired of being a coward and have built up enough courage to take the leap and go do magic to strangers (get practice, hand out bussniss cards, ect)

question is , its really very cold here now (ice and stuff)

have you guys ever gone out and perfromed in the streets in cold weather? should I wait for summer and risk loosing my courage?

any thoughts? thank you
How about going to an indoor public place.
I think it's possible to do some magic at the malls, there you can hand out your business cards.
Doing slight of hand in cold weather could be tough, unless you can do it with gloves. If it's too cold, people might not care to see a magic trick, but get somewhere warm.
Yeah maybe I'm a wuss but I never did street magic when it got too cold to be in shirt sleaves.
Besides your comfort, others don't really want to stop and stand there so your at a real disadvantage in re your audience.

I had some full-time street performer friends I met while doing this and what they did was migrate and work the south in the winter.

I think the mall is a great suggestion, although you may either (a) want to check out with the mall management first what rules they have or (b) be ready to be rousted.
Please make sure performing is okay with mall management and get a permit if it is required. You don't want to be kicked out into the cold. Indoor public places are a great suggestion. I only perform outside if it's nice spring weather or bearable summer weather. Anything else and I perform inside.
If you are getting enough courage to perform, it takes as much courage to ask someone
if you can perform in their location. It they say yes, then you are committed. Find a place that can contain your act and go for it.

I'm sure there will be some breaks in the weather (i.e. Indian summers); were you can
just go out there.

Another thought is to put on a show for your family and/or friends. Organize it and
get everyone together or leverage some event where everyone will be together.
Dress in thermal layers, get a hand warmer, and just do it.
I have done this and I suck. Just to get a feel for talking to people. The mall is fantastic but security will be on you in minutes. Talk to management. They will ask you to do one or two tricks and probably let you do it. OR kick you out(In my case because I only had one trick)!You sound like you are light years ahead of me. LOL. To be fair I did explain that I was not a magician, that I was learning, and that all I wanted to do was get some interaction with strangers. They thought I was nuts.

Coffee shops, Tea houses, and other places like that are usually friendly. So are bookstores.

Shamsiel