(Close Window)
Topic: Headhacking in Edinburgh
Just got back yesterday fron Anthony Jacquin and Kevin Sheldrake's 2 day Trilby Course held in Edinburgh. Was great to meet up with them again and meet old friends from The Café, some I'd never met face to face before, Kinda' weird in a way.
Anyway suffice to say the course was packed with great training which was tested in the classroom before 'taking it to the people' in Edinburgh's George Street.
I guess everyone already knows how successful the Headhacking team are. The disssemination of both old and new 'stuff' was excellent, finally offering a veretable smorgasboard of knowledge, for both the newbie and some extremely experienced hypnotists who were also in attendance.
Anthony made no excuses for the great deal of time taken to spend on the many munitiae linked to The Hypnosis Act itself and the practical use of hypnosis in public places.
I can also confirm that when permission was asked the manager/owner was absolutely thrilled to have us, and of course the public loved it too. All in all a very professional course I'd be very happy to recommend to anyone. It's also a great chance for guys like us, who never get the chance to work together, to do just that.... great fun!
I'm already saving up my rupees to attend the next one in Paris.

Bob.
Great to meet you as well Bob. When everyone gets together like we all did at lunch , theres a tangible feeling that we could easily achieve absolutely anything.
Really enjoyed the saturday night , even just jamming with other hypnotists , mentalists and magicians.

Thanks again , to all involved.

Paul Horgan

P.S. - wooohooo , first post !!!
Yeah, and you did it without it being suggested to you (ahem!)
Gonna pop over to The Green Isle and say hi sometime in the near future Paul.
Was great to meet up with you.
Why is it that the UK is so enamoured with the street hypnosis thing?
I dunno, why do you think America is so enamoured with stage hypnosis? As you know no one seems that interested in it over here yet they que for street stuff. It's strange, huh?
Maybe stage hypnotists are more entertaining over there and street guys are more entertaining over here.
I also don't get the appeal of street hypnosis in the U.K. After watching many videos and receiving some training programs centered around street hypnosis, I must admit it plays to me as nothing more than bar or pub "tricks"or (street" "magic".

It simply does not the true entertainment value of a stage hypnosis performance - the intrigue, mystique and overall amazement and astonishment. Audiences leave a good stage hypnosis show hurting in the gut from laughing so hard for so long, and are truly blown away more than most other types of entertainment. I also do not think many forms of entertainment leave such a lasting impact on an audience as a good stage hypnosis show. It's also one of the most pure forms of entertainment - a man (or women), a microphone and the power of words and suggestion. It also lets the common audience member become the true stars of the show. It's a journey from start to finish with drama, comedy, intrigue and hilarious comedy, and audience participation at the highest level that offers real mass appeal. I have had four generations from the same family in my audience at a show recently and each person enjoyed it at the highest level.

I'm sorry, I find it very hard to find any of this with street hypnosis. What street hypnosis seems to create is a "how'd they do that" and "I gotta learn to do that, it's so cool", which is what leads to the vast amount of young teens and twenty-somethings wanting to dive right in to do the same "tricks". I have spoke to many who also share my opinion, and who feel "street" could seriously hurt the stage industry.

I'm not sure if it's popularity on the other side of the pond is due to their laws and insurance with stage hypnosis and if this is a way around it, or if it's just a lazy mans form of street entertainment, but it doesn't make sense to many who take pride in learning, practicing and performing the science and art of hypnosis.

It's not a matter of being enamoured, it's like comparing apples and oranges. I challenge any street performer to have the appeal, effect and impact on an entire audience as with stage hypnosis. This is ridiculous.

Bobser, may be right, maybe stage is more entertaining over here, but there have been several well-accepted stage hypnotists from the U.K. in the past.

Perhaps since there are many different forums for many different types or facets of magic, it's time that there should be a separate forum here for Street Hypnosis to allow those who unite a place of their own, as so not to cloud the area of real stage hypnosis.
Naw, we need to stay in the same room so we can wind each other up constantly. Let me give you an example; you say 4 generations have come to your stage shows. I honestly thought by your posts that you were still in your teens. That last one had me -issing myself. So artful yet just a tad over the top maybe?
I think the way the street magic has its own section the street hypnosis section should as well. At least we would not get confused with who is who would we?
Hey Bob,

I couldent make it with the rest of the crew but would have been great to see you. Must catch up soon.

All the best

Amit - Headhacking
Amit@headhacking.com
Yes Amit we keep missing each other. Next time hopefully.
To begin at the beginning...

'the intrigue, mystique and overall amazement and astonishment. Audiences leave a good stage hypnosis show hurting in the gut from laughing so hard for so long, and are truly blown away more than most other types of entertainment. I also do not think many forms of entertainment leave such a lasting impact on an audience as a good stage hypnosis show. It's also one of the most pure forms of entertainment - a man (or women), a microphone and the power of words and suggestion. It also lets the common audience member become the true stars of the show. It's a journey from start to finish with drama, comedy, intrigue and hilarious comedy, and audience participation at the highest level that offers real mass appeal.'

With the exception of the microphone, there is nothing here that cannot be achieved by an adroit performer of street hypnosis. I think the idea of 'street' can be a misnomer. Many performers use pubs or clubs as venues. An intimate pub can be entirely hushed and in a state of wonder elicited by a gifted performer. Many times a few becomes many and you have a show. Like a fringe show, sure, it's not Broadway, It's barely even off-off Broadway, but it is as real and as vivid for the audience in attendance as a theatrical experience in a larger venue. Audiences don't have our unique prejudices, they just want to be entertained and enjoy something which is pertinent to them. And an audience can be of any size. Jerzy Grotowski actually used to like to limit his audiences, Augusto Boal took theatre to the streets and worked with what he found. Peter Brook said that all you need for an act of theatre to take place is an actor (read hypnotist), an audience and some planks to stand on (and you can ditch the planks, at a push!). Like Bobser,(and please correct me if this is not the case, braw laddie) I revel in hypnosis in all of it's forms. Intimating that street hypnosis or street magic for that matter is a lesser form of entertainment, well, that's your opinion (and obviously one that folk you know share- but I bet you're very persuasive ;) ) however, that's just not my experience. Granted, a larger audience, gathered for the specific purpose of enjoying a cracking hypnotism show will have an amazing vibe, the expectation is already there, running high, and I bet the audience leaves feeling froody, but one of the things I enjoy about hypnosis out of the therapy room or off the stage is that you interact with Everyman, you meet folk that may have never considered hypnotism as an avenue for entertainment and a great night out. Now, if it is a kid doing 'bar tricks' then, yes, that's not at all helpful and possibly hurtful to the industry and maybe even dangerous should the individual have 'skipped the boring pages' to borrow from another thread, however, done well, with respect and due care, this form of entertainment can make folk think about hypnosis in a positive way and maybe they'll even consider going to a show where they may not have before. I just don't see why hypnosis has to be restricted to the stage, when the stage is constantly re-inventing itself as to what is 'the stage', what is 'theatre' and what constitutes 'a theatrical act'. Where I currently reside, Wayang Kulit is a form of entertainment where the audience sit for up to eleven hours watching shadow puppets, they disappear off for a drink, chat and go behind the screen to watch the Dalang (puppeteer). It's theatre, but different from mainstream theatre and when the Gamelan is going and four hundred people are avidly watching an epic battle enacted by one guy with several puppets, that my friends is a beautiful state! I totally understand that there are many professionals on this forum, who perform nightly and make a living from hypnosis and I am totally in awe of these individuals, they are shining examples of the efficacy and wonder of hypnosis and absolutely worthy of emulation, however, if we also accept that there is a rancid underbelly of trite runagates who prostitute this wonderful phenomena- could there not be a middle way? Is the ultimate goal of hypnosis to be paid? Can you not entertain someone with hypnosis without financial remuneration or does this go against some law? Should everyone on this forum be aiming to be a stage hypnotist?
The fringe element of hypnosis, Strolling players if you will(barnstormers- the ultimate in impromptu performers), were considered almost criminals in times gone by, but the public weren't the ones shunning them.

I've been a bit of a lurker, so sorry, but I just would like you all to know that I really enjoy this forum.
I had my appendix removed last week, and surgery, well, it promotes thinking.
Merry Christmas* to you all:
Danny with his profound knowledge
Kissy coming at it from all sides
Bobser, the Buddha of Surburbia (or at least Machrihanish)
Owen- a little bit of weird in Seville
Mindpro with the hard news for all to think on
Quicknotist with his direct thinking
TonyB who doesn't hypnotise anyone ;)
Mr. Chase, the belligerent bad boy of boshing
Shane with his wry humour
Zoto and his interesting engagements
Tiriri- Feliz Navidad companero- El mundo esta cambiando!
Mr. Nongard and his straight-down-the-line practical advice (thank you sir!)
Anthony (research, research)Jacquin, Kev and the Head-Hacking Collective
DmKraig King of the pithy put down and waaay too busy!
And of course, MP.
and apologies to those I haven't mentioned- it's a space thing.

Ian, sometimes known as Anansi.

Over to you, Brian.....

*insert celebratory period as appropriate
The fringe element of hypnosis, Strolling players if you will(barnstormers- the ultimate in impromptu performers), were considered almost criminals in times gone by, but the public weren't the ones shunning them.

Whoops!

Typo extreme: what I had in mind in my fever'd brain was- The fringe element of hypnosis might be considered akin to Strolling Players if you will(barnstormers- the ultimate in impromptu performers), who were considered almost criminals in times gone by, but the public weren't the ones shunning them.
Hey Ian/Anansi,
What a great post. I read it twice. Pop over to the UK anytime. We have spare rooms all over for the right people. I'm assuming you come from somewhere around Indonesia by your 'shadow puppet' comment?
Anyway, with regards to what this is really all about, I think you GET it. In fact I know you do.
Yours aye,
Bob
Thanks Ian,
All the best to you and yours from me and mine!
Reg
Cheers lads!

I'm a bit worried that those posts contains positivity.....
Let's suck it and see.

Actually boys, I'm from the UK(living in Malaysia and hoping to meet the legendary Pakar Ilusu- check out his videos, he's cooooool :) ) but haven't been around mainland Europe for ten or so years. hopefully , I'm gonna see the famous Ilusi this weekend (if he is available), and I checked out(and purchased) PLI, so I'm covered.:)
A little info: I've been travelling for the best part of twelve years learning what I can from the Aymara Indians, the Mapuche and the Quechua. Recently, I've transferred my affections to the Hokkien Chinese and Hindu Spiritualists. My work is veering towards a spiritual nature. (open for criticism).

on my last post:

Gents, you are too kind.

I learnt entirely because of guys like you, like Anthony (I am a proud member of the Manchurian Collective), Richard Busch and Jerome Finley; I don't think what I have to say carries weight but I have to tell you, I do check this forum every day for what you guys say, and as a consequence, the feedback I receive colours my thinking.

Bobser- I would consider it a signal honour to meet with you, let alone establish digs in Auld Reekie. As far as am concerned, there is so much to learn and you occupy a grand seat of learning. You approach our art with the graciousness that we all should have when appreciating what we do. I realise this could come across as brown-nosing, but hey, I don't know you and I have been informed that your nose is indeed another colour entirely.s

And the same to you and yours Reg!(that's a bit clumsy , can I call you that?)- always respectful as to what you post, because, simply, you say it cleanly. You obviously care and that radiates through your posts. I'm close and would relish the chance to pick your brains.NZ is but a whisper away- we should be talking!

Answers on a postcard!

And thank you all, for your toil, you're attention and your expertise.

I. x
This boy is extremely clever. You guys need to listen more to what he says. And start respecting me a bit more by the way.
I had the chance to meet Bobser at the Trilby Connection in Edinburgh and I can only confirm that this was a great moment of sharing and performing magic and hypnosis with someone a long way ahead in the craft. As English is not my mother tong I don't post too much but rest assure that I read and enjoy most of your interesting discussions.
May be I will have the chance to see some of you at the next time will be the Manchurian approach in Paris the 19th/20th March 2011 in Paris.
@Anansi - I trust you are recovering nicely if not fully recovered. Hope you had a nice christmas and best wishes for the new year. :)
[quote]
On 2010-12-13 18:26, bobser wrote:
I dunno, why do you think America is so enamoured with stage hypnosis? As you know no one seems that interested in it over here yet they que for street stuff. It's strange, huh?
Maybe stage hypnotists are more entertaining over there and street guys are more entertaining over here.
[/quote]

They also que in bars for the toilet. Steet or impromtu hypnotists have to hi-jack a crowd. We create them. My first three shows in 10 years had over 300 on average attend each show all PAYING £13.50 for the privilidge and that was during one of the toughest times even for established acts during the Edinburgh festival. Compare the reaction from the audience with any street or impromtu. Ask anybody what they would rather see...or aske them which they would book or pay to see.

The truth is that street hypnotists do it for their own ego and need for attention. "Good" stage hypnotists do it for payment and to satisfy the audience. They are also far more knowledgable and skilled hypnotists as well as stage workers.

There is no comparison. A glut of Poorly trained and un skilled pub hypnotists ruined the industry in the 90s. The new wave of "hypnotists" are even a step or two below them.

I believe the interest is there in the UK for the younger generations but it needs kick started which costs money. I have also bumbed into quite a few people who were at the shrink shows in the summer and they have raved about them.
[quote]
On 2011-01-10 17:52, mindpunisher wrote:
My first three shows in 10 years had over 300 on average attend each show all PAYING £13.50 for the privilidge and that was during one of the toughest times even for established acts during the Edinburgh festival. Compare the reaction from the audience with any street or impromtu. Ask anybody what they would rather see...or aske them which they would book or pay to see.
[/quote]

LOL. Stop being silly. The first show had about 100 and half of those tickets were given away to friends and family. If you don't think that is the case then I guess the person I spoke to was at a different show. However given that they are the figures you yourself quoted to a friend I guess not. Lack of due diligence meant the show was stopped halfway through. By the time of your third I heard things got so desparate, after a sizable portion of the audience left during the interval, that when it got to your big finale - two men stripped and in a bathtub - many audience members noted that the two men, your stars, were wearing unusual but matching underpants - that looked a bit like trunks :) I guess two for one was cheaper? Did you need the comfort of two stooges or was it just chance they had the same pants on? Do you not think this is dangerously damaging to the industry.

Stop rewriting history. Or better still, just for me, keep fibbing to yourself and state clearly again that you sold 'over 300 tickets' to your first night in Edinburgh? You know that is not the case you said it yourself in previous posts here.

You are losing it.
Did MP ever answer this?

I love the fact that stage hypnotists think they are better than everyone else. So so hard to hypnotise 12 people out of a room of 1000. Keep thinking your acts are fresh guys.

HK
My thoughts on head hacking anywhere are:....

First off. I taught Ant and Kev impromptu techniques on my stage hypnosis masterclass in 2004. They have taken it way beyond anything I have ever done with it and have found a market for it. I would like to think I somehow played a small part in getting them going, although Ant was already a very good and successful hypnotherapist. But I have to admit I'm totally jealous of their Youth - compared to me - their energy and their following. I think they should be banned and possibly imprisoned! Or at the very least hung drawn and quartered. How dare they have a whale of time being well known and successful!

The 'Problem' with street hypnosis seems to ME to be this... Except for my friend in New Zealand Reg Blackwood and the head hacking team themselves, the exponents of the Street form don't appear make money from it, even at a busking level. And lets face it the odd free drink or cucumber may be refreshing or bowel cleansing but you can't buy your Broadband with it. So the point seems to be to entertain the performer more than a paying audience, but then that can be said of most people who do magic as well as over 80% of people buying tricks today will never use them outside of a small group of friends or colleagues. And what seems to upset many established stage pros is that street hypnosis is way more popular than full blown stage hypnosis at the moment.

The difference between Stage and Street for me is that whilst one can be passably executed with a knowledge of simple technique, the other can Only be presented with just a simple basic knowledge of technique. I can think of several professional stage performers who's shows are not very good in theatrical terms. However unlike singers, dancers or actors not being very good doesn't show that much as we are still a very small bunch and for everyone who has seen a full stage show there are a dozen who have not. Although the InterWeb is certainly putting a few heads on blocks. I'm planning on putting my full show up there, gulp!

Most stage 'shows' are just a collection of routines with no shape or finesse. Few of them are actually 'shows' but nothing more than Street done on stage. Most 'Comedy' hypnotists are not themselves funny - for the record I've never used that term - with the exception of perhaps Ken Webster that certainly covers most UK players. So perhaps the problem with Street Hypnosis as far as the stage performers are concerned is that it shows how anyone can hypnotise and when the amazing 'skill' is shown to be a shallow disguise of simple psychological procedures, then presentation skills and showmanship is up for scrutiny.

Stage hypnosis took a knock along with all forms of stage entertainment in the 90's in the UK. No, not because there were more people doing shows as some people think, it was the fall of the Miners Welfare clubs and working mens clubs which taught people to go to live shows from being children, right up to the simple fact that it was shown on TV and people then only wanted to see the bloke on the Tele.

Then as the century turned we entered the age of 'Show Me' where with the internet and the Karaoke mindset more people want to do rather than watch. In 1999 when we started teaching there were 13 schools of hypnosis, at last count there are 162 and 10 of those are stage.

The truth is I didn't like the street approach at first. Not sure I do now. For my old head they looked as if they should be taking a box of tissues with them and in the early videos came across as a group of giggling schoolboys playing pranks and copping a quick feel from drunk birds in pubs. Some still do. But to be honest and when I Really look at it, there is little difference between that and me making peoples arms go stiff without bothering to hypnotise in recognisable fashion - certainly not using a trance state, or removing someones phobia at a party with my 'Hypnotic Powers!' when there is no chance of that becoming a booking.

Then I am doing it for Me.

I am after all, above all else, a SHOW OFF, and that is what street hypnosis is all about. It's about showing off. Pure egotism. Having a laff at the expense of others which, to be frank is what hypnosis relies on, the fact that people laugh AT other people in embarrassing situations. People doing ridiculous things, that's right, being ridiculed.

So for me the difference is this. Street Hypnosis is about mind manipulation techniques entertaining the protagonists and little else. Stage Hypnosis is, or should be, about the art of making those techniques a Show and entertaining a fee paying audience.

Glad you enjoyed it Bobser.
I think why street hypnosis is so popular in the UK is that it is very difficult to see a stage show with the licensing laws so most people never get the chance to see hypnosis live other than on youtube or TV.
Hypnofande I'd love to agree with you. That way it would be easily fixed (pm me and I'll tell you how). But the reason is two fold. Most of the stage hypnotists in the UK have been and still are sh-t.
They like to say f-ck and f-ckin' a lot and insist on showing the audience what it looks like to see a young girl orgasm in the presence of her family and friends.
It's kinda' like, for a short period in our history we only trained highly uneducated, working class, rough, white male chauvinists, to buy a suit and learn inductions. Then embarrass their volunteers as the world looked on.
I am from and always will be working class. But I have social skills and I am a corporate professional entertainer. I work in a full time practice as a clinical hypnotist and I'm exceptionally good at it. I've also worked in stage hypnosis and have been a professional mentalist (using stacks of hypnosis) for many years.
Just believe everything I've said. ONE: because it's true and TWO: because it'll save you a whole heap of time in the wilderness :)
Bobser seriously?

I have always suspected this but others claim this is what an audience wants to see. Interesting.

You can PM me so we don't clutter the thread if you like.
I think Bobser's post has summed up what I've always thought about European Stage Hypnosis. Every Stage Hypnotist I've ever seen from over there always seemed to be blue, adult content heavy on sex (not innuendo but blatant down, dirty and embarrassing, and swearing). Certainly they can't all be like that? Of course since most that I've seem are smaller shows I guess in "pubs" I just figured in was similar to our comedy club hypnotists. Like comedy, it's much easier to go for the dirty, sexual or swearing material. To me it's much more rewarding, skillful and from a business perspective much better for return and residual booking to be clean or even offer family content. Is Ken Webster dirty? I always though he played pretty decent venues? Has Anthony ever done stage shows? Certainly there must be more than Jonathan Royle? Does McKenna still perform?

Maybe we have more clean hypnotists here because of the many different markets for clean and family stage hypnosis in the states. But I still think the street movement and the lack of stage hypnosis success in recent years must have something to do with the laws and insurance over there.

I would be interested in hearing Bobser's easy fix to the problem. What happened to all of the former stage hypnotists that were once more popular there? Did they just fold up shop?
I was referring to the 'easy fix' in reply to hypnofande's licensing laws. And if he wants to PM me I could give him help there. There are a few answers (one, get a license) but that is NOT a problem. Neither is getting insurance. The bit we don't want to hear (here in the UK) is that stage hypnosis is not a strong desire of a UK audience. And the ones I've talked to say it's because of past embarrassments.
I'm not making this up and it didn't come to me in a dream and my experience this is fairly vast (I have no idea so cannot comment re USA audiences).
I just this very moment broke away to go onto the net and try and fine ONE (public)stage show advertised tonight anywhere in The UK. and can't find one. To the best of my knowledge there is only one (Ken Webster in Blackpool) and that is similar to Danny's on going tried, tested, talked about, on-going show (in Branson?).
Blackpool is probably the number one working class holiday spot in the UK.
Bobser I find this fascinating.

I suspected as much but again have never had experienced it personally so I can't say sor sure.

I wonder what would happen if someone started doing just a show without all the orgasam stuff?
I don't agree with Bob that UK hypnotists are sh*t, I just think their humour is massively outdated.
However, it's not just the hypnotists, is it?

It really is all about the comedy and it's actually quite complicated.

Stand-up Comedy in the UK evolved from the old "Working Men's Club" type comic who, generally speaking, borrowed jokes (in stead of speaking his own original thoughts) and who was overtly racist, sexist and homophobic (as opposed to politically aware and culturally sensitive.)

UK stand-up comedy (labeled "Alternative") much of it inspired by American stand-up, found a new, younger audience and new venues. It became a movement. A tribe. I know, 'cos I was there.

It even survived several changes of government to thrive, first in London and later, spreading to the pubs clubs and theatres of the provinces. Then on to Radio and TV. Some say it has come full circle now, but no matter.

However, SOME comedians, most Stage Hypnotists and let's face it, a LOT of magic performers, with a few notable exceptions, stayed exactly where they were in their traditional roots, showing a complete disregard for, ignorance of, or in some cases hatred of any development going on elsewhere.

Consequently, this was to their detriment as this "old" kind of performance only appeals to older audiences, or the unenlightened, clinging on to and yearning for a past where men were men, women were women and jokes were awful. I guarantee those performers who somehow manage to continue in this vein, will tell you how entertainers these days just aren't funny and that political correctness has ruined their livelihoods. The truth is, after a while there was simply no place and no demand for it.

What was once the alternative became the new mainstream.

To this day, if a performer sparks even a glimmer of a reminder of those bad old days, they are generally shunned by an embarrassed and educated audience.

And rightly so.

I understand the sentiment from Americans here who say comedians shouldn't do hypnosis or magic, but it's almost like in the UK there's a stronger feeling that hypnotists and magicians shouldn't do comedy.
[quote]
On 2013-03-10 16:17, quicknotist wrote:
I don't agree with Bob that UK hypnotists are sh*t, I just think their humour is massively outdated.
[/quote]

Actually I think we agree with each other perfectly. it's just that I might have explained better that I believe that if a person uses: 'humour that is massively outdated' then they ARE sh*t.
And I have a comedic audience here in the UK of over 20 million (33% of the UK regularly watch and support comedy)who support me.
But it's worse than that. Not only is their comedy outdated. They mainly use the same skits as each other.
There will be exceptions to this rule. ie: you might get Jon Chase using this 'dated' material I refer to. BUT ... guess what? It's very probably HIS material but has been copied so much and so often that he potentially falls into the mix, wherebye the audience is not aware that he is actually doing his own stuff!!!!!
And............ THAT'S why UK hypnotists are sh*t!!!!!!!
Good question Danny (we don't have a facility here in The Café to 'LIKE').
For me personally, I really like the corporate style of America's Anthony Galie, who could very well be doing his show at a mid-morning coffee break for family members.
I also possess a show of yours Danny which you sent me several years ago. It was and is simply great. You asked me to promise NOT to show it to anyone else and I didn't. But you should travel the world showing them your act. It's as good, as licensed, as funny and as safe as anything out there... end of.
In fact if you're not too scared PM me and I'll arrange to get you over hear for a wee break :)