(Close Window)
Topic: Hen pen chen coin sleight
Where can I get some help with the hen pen chen coin sleight?
Tony Slydini who really lead our community into a popular use of the move.
Harry Lorayne in his book of magic including coin tricks
Derek Dingle (with several smart variants in his coins through the table)
but you should consider Lou Gallo's move which is, IMHO, a more subtle alternative
It's demonstrated by Mike Gallo but also in another context by Michael Ammar or b Joe Ridnfleisch...
Or you can get in Bobo's coin magic!
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Dec 16, 2010 07:59PM)
[quote]
On 2010-12-16 18:12, Fred Apel wrote:
[/quote]

Have a look in The Dai Vernon Book of Magic. :)
Message: Posted by: Perseus Arkomanis (Dec 16, 2010 08:19PM)
Bobo's coin magic or the David Roth Dvd's is my take!
Fred: What kind of help to do you want? Where do you live?
Not knowing what kind of help your looking for here is an example of both sleights Lawrence is talking about.
Hen Ping Chien.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9CqiddkzkM
Smae routine using the Gallo Pitch. (Lou Gallo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U22GILso0WQ&feature=related

Please lets us know what kind of help your looking for.
Tim
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Dec 18, 2010 12:39PM)
[quote]
[/quote]

Are you asking about where it was first published in application to exploit a coin gaff? I believe that was using c/s coins. Pretty clever. HPC itself - try the Vernon Book of Magic by Ganson.
Eric Evans has some interesting thoughts about it in "The Secret Art of Magic"
Geoffrey Latta's "Ultimate Han Ping Chien" from 'Coinmagic' book.
Could someone point me to a source for learning the Gallo Pitch? DVD preferably...

many thanks
Sean
Ammar has it on one of his DVD'S! Maybe someone remembers what one?
Thanks David. I've done a bit of searching but still can't find a DVD reference. It's written up in Michael Ammars Encore 3, along with lots of great sounding routines judging by the listing.

Sean
Sean,
I learned it from Lou Gallo The Underground Man book. But, I'm sure if you reach out to Mike Gallo here he will point you in the right direction for a DVD. I'm sure it's in one of the New York Coin DVD's somewhere.
Good Luck.
Tim
Or perhaps Sean, Tim or Vinny might simply shoot you a little vid of how it's done if you PM them. Truth be told, they do it as well as anyone does and better than most that I've seen. :) Plus they are both great teachers and sleight men. :)
Hey Tim, thanks for the pointer. I'll do that.

Hey Marion. You're probably right. They are both great guys and have really helped me in the past. Just feel a bit cheeky asking for a video if you know what I mean... I can get an idea of the basics of the move from Tim's youtube video and I've been playing around with it. I guess its the subtleties that I'm missing. I've always liked HPC, it's a great utility. Now, after seeing the Gallo pitch performed by Tim, I think it looks somehow more natural. What do you think? Is it a more natural looking move in your opinion?

kind regards
Sean
Sean, I found it for you. The Gallo Pitch is on Ammars World Class Closeup Vol 2
[quote]
On 2010-12-19 08:52, feher wrote:
Sean,
I learned it from Lou Gallo The Underground Man book. But, I'm sure if you reach out to Mike Gallo here he will point you in the right direction for a DVD. I'm sure it's in one of the New York Coin DVD's somewhere.
Good Luck.
Tim
[/quote]

One of these days I am going to finish my contents listing for the NYCMS Volumes! Most DVDs have the contents (DVD chapters?) listed on the back. The few DVDs I have that donít list the contents on the back cover at least show a listing at the DVD main menu. None of the NYCMS DVDs have this; you have to go through each doggone DVD. Some of them have enough in the menu to get a good idea but some just show the performers for each section. That's the only frustrating thing about them - they are great in all other ways!

I started a database of all my DVDs and their contents so that if I want to look at, say, just copper/silver effects I can type that in and find all instances of C/S effects on my DVDs. Except the New York discs; I have Volumes 1 through 10 so far but only the first two volumes' contents listed.

Jim
Previously, I was unaware of the Gallo pitch. Tim's You Tube video is outstanding; it looks very natural. This is definitely worth spending some time working on learning. Yet another reason I love spending time on this site. Thanks.
Hey Rizzo. Thanks a lot for the info.

I have also found out that Mike Gallo released a DVD on the Pitch several years ago. Go to http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net and look for his store page.

Kind regards
Sean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdWeLDBt2Q
Really nice routine. Totally deceptive even when looking for it.
Sean you can also find that move in Shankey's "Revolutionary coin magic vol.1"
Hey Mago,

Do you mean Hen ping chien as the move Sankey teaches? Or does he teach the gallo pitch?

Thanks
Sean
Sean he teaches both moves.. He also teaches a reverse version of hen ping chien (he calls it chien ping hen :P ) in which the coin goes into the fist instead of falling out.. Combining those two moves he performs a great routine..
Sean I would recomend you this dvd.. It has a lot of great and difficult routines (as a beginner I can hardly perform 3-4)
If you are looking for a DVD with some good tricks...Samkeys DVD's are worth getting. If you are looking to learn how to perform the Pitch correctly...then I seriously suggest looking else where.

Mike
Any suggestions, Mike? (Besides one of the NYCMS Volumes?)

Thank you.

Jim
Hey J-Mac,

Check out Mike Gallos product page on http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net/gallo.htm It's a seperate DVD to the NYCMS series and sounds great. I've pasted the blurb below. This is top of my list for January!

In this special edition, viewers will see rare footage of the great Lou Gallo performing the move he invented and made famous - The Gallo Pitch.

The pitch has been regarded as one of the most original coin sleights of the 20th century by legends such as Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, and Derek Dingle.

On this DVD, Lou's son Mike not only demonstrates and explains his father's great pitch, he will also perform and explain some of lou's favorite effects using the pitch.

Mike gives an in depth explanation of...

*"New Wave Coins Across"

*"Rub-Rub"

*"Coins Through the Table"

and more!

"Whenever anyone asks me which coin magician I enjoy watching, Mike Gallo is right at the top of my list. He is technically perfect, but has such a friendly demeanor, he makes you feel completely at ease - until he reels you in and fools the pants off you!"
~Dr. Michael Rubinstein

"Mike Gallo does some of the best coin magic I have ever seen! His coin work is clean, looks like real magic, and his approach to classic coin plots is always refreshingly original."
~David Roth

"Mike Gallo's coin magic is unique. He loves to take his audiences down the garden path just before turning on the sprinklers. I've seen Mike entertain regular audiences. But I have also seen him reduce a roomful of seasoned, hardcore magicians into a head-shaking crowd of humbled, awestruck kids."
~Paul Cummins

US $35.00 + $5.00 shipping and handling - NY residents add sales tax - Over Seas add $11.00 for shipping and handling

kind regards
Sean
Sean,

Thanks, I saw those products but had a little trouble telling the lecture notes from videos!

Jim
[quote]
On 2010-12-22 22:27, J-Mac wrote:
Any suggestions, Mike? (Besides one of the NYCMS Volumes?)

Thank you.

Jim
[/quote]

Jim, ya got a problem with the NYCMS DVD's? And since you asked...yes, I do a segment on the pitch on one of those DVD's. Other than that...Remembering the Magic of Lou Gallo is a great source for learning the pitch. Not only do you learn the right way to do the pitch...but there is rare footage of the old man himself (my Dad...not Vernon)discussing a lot of the common mistakes that most people do when executing the pitch. The only other sources I would recommend for learning this is DVD's by both Mike Rubinstein and Mike Ammar as they are two of the few people who I have seen do it properly.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

No problem with the NYCMS DVDs, but I didn't see the pitch taught on any of them. Performed, but not reviewed in detail. (Maybe I missed one?) I have Michael's Coin Sleights DVDs already and I will try to get a copy of Remembering the Magic of Lou Gallo.

Thanks again!

Jim
[quote]
On 2010-12-21 21:27, mike gallo wrote:
If you are looking for a DVD with some good tricks...Samkeys DVD's are worth getting. If you are looking to learn how to perform the Pitch correctly...then I seriously suggest looking else where.

Mike
[/quote]

That makes me wonder, well if anyones interested Sankey's Anytime Anywhere has the Gallo Pitch.
[quote]
On 2010-12-25 02:55, J-Mac wrote:
...No problem with the NYCMS DVDs, but I didn't see the pitch taught on any of them...(Maybe I missed one?)... [/quote]

Jim, check out the bonus section on Volume 6.
Thanks Laurie! I will do that right now! :)

Jim
Excellent! You should know Laurie.... :) You're there at the table! I hadn't looked at that Bonus yet, but I had gone through every menu. The Bonus sections donít say what it there. Anyway now I know where to look.

Thanks again!

Jim
You're welcome, Jim. :)
Mike's DVD is naturally and definitely the most perfect way to learn his father's pitch. However, apart from Michael Rubinstein, Michael Ammar and Jay Sankey, Joe Rindfleisch in Extreme Coin Magic is also offering a good performance and teaching how to use the pitch within original routines.

Mike, since I'm the one responsible for bringing the Gallo Pitch in this thread, initially asking for advice about the Han Ping Chien move, I'd like to underline, in all fairness, that Tim Feher is offering a very good performance of the move as well (unless I missed something).
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Dec 29, 2010 04:12PM)
If you're looking to go forward with application of the sleight and like the way Harry Lorayne writes - he published two applications of mine. One using the Slydini Revolve so you don't have to worry about holding out was published in Apocalypse magazine and the other using HPC out of EG to manage a multiple coin switch for an "instant wildcoin" is, I believe, in his Best of Friends volume II.
[quote]
[/quote]
Fred, when you make it back to Michigan, I bet Tim Feher will help you with the sleights.
Some 10 years ago over at Boomers in Las vegas I demonstrated a han pen chen from the Tenkai pinch for Paul Harris and louy Siiminoff , they loved .it I call it the Gosh Pen Chen.
MB was kind enough to put up a demo that is in"you outh to be in pictures section" if anyone is interested in this technique just send me a pm with e mail address and I will send a demo with the handling
vinny
this move is almost invisible
Yes I did post about Vinny's [b]Gosh Pen Chen[/b] variation of this great move here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=395901&forum=217&0

Vinny brings together the Han Pen Chen and the Goshman (Tenkai) Pinch to create a clever ruse in moving the coins across. This new video shows him creatively using it very effectively with a real nice kicker at the end. :) Just great coin work from the Godfather. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcz-_FOj3JM
Yes, this is an even more deceptive routine than Daryl's already excellent (and pretty easy to do) version of Shigeo Takagi's Coins Across routine.
The use of the Tenkai Pinch in preparation for performing the Han Ping Chien move (that he calls Gosh Pen Chien) allows the Godfather to deliver a great routine.

Thanks Vinny
Etienne thank you , Sheigo's han pen chein using the thumb crotch is more deceptive than using the classic palm for the han pien chin
vinny
Vinny,
That was a sweet idea. That's why your the Godfather.
Tim
That is a [b][i]very[/i][/b] deceptive move (on the second link MB posted). I had to watch it a second time just because I enjoyed it so much!

Thanks Vinny and MB!

Jim
I again took advantage of Vinny's generosity and got his handling of the Hen pen Chen with the Goshman pinch, and not only is clear enough but also made me willing to learn the sleights.
Thank you very much Vinny.

Pablo
I second Jaz's recommend.. ..

First learned it from the Vernon book of magic. but the Geoff Latta from Kaufman's CoinMagic above is a big improvement and is the one I do .. all the time. (and have done for years). totally invisible and impossible looking.
Vinnie sent me footage of his moves. thanks Vin..

Interesting. It looks good.. However, the Goshman clip is not an ideal move for the bar. It's not invisible from various places at the bar.

I still am partial to the Latta version from Coinmagic... probably cuz I have been doing it that way for 25 years.. old dog/new tricks... you know. and it is very deceptive for the bar. Incidentally the Gallo pitch WAS developed in the bar and is also virtually impossible to detect.

Jonathon was kind to send along the fact that Latta's version has its roots that go way back before him. This may well be true.

All I am saying is that an 'in the air' HPC can be very deceptive and worthy of mastering.

I don't want to be ranking the different variations of HPC.. I am just letting you know the one I use..
Another source for the Gallo Pitch for those of us from the 20th century, also check Richard's Almanac, 1982 Voumne one Number Four from December of 1982. Or in Almanac One which has the 1982-83 collection of Richard's Almanac it is on page 25.

Cheers,

Todd
David Stone use an aoutstanding Han Pen Chen sleigh in a Coin Glass routine.
I also use the gosh pien chien in spectators hands for coins across..
In addition I have experimented with the crimp palm inconjunction with the HPC ,i call this the crimp pien chien I will try and put up a demo
vinny
Yes, that [b]Crimp Pen Chen[/b] is also a marvelous move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izb8EM3gORI
[quote]
On 2011-01-07 10:54, Mb217 wrote:
Yes, that [b]Crimp Pen Chen[/b] is also a marvelous move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izb8EM3gORI
[/quote]

That is an outstanding transpo......as clean as you can get. Great work!
That looked great Vinny. You really do some wonderful stuff with that crimp. You should bring out a DVD one day :)
Fools me
Very sweet Vinny!

Thanks!

Jim