(Close Window)
Topic: One Way Face Cards
Any advice on some clever tricks that use the one way face cards?
Pardon my ignorance .... what's a one way face card?
I was just referring to cards like the 3 of hearts that have a pip on the face that would indicate whether or not the card has been turned 180 degrees or turned around before being reinserted into a packet. Maybe there's another name for them.
The most standard uses for that kind of an "indicator card" is for card locations effected by reversing the decks orientation when you switch the deck from hand to hand while asking they replace their chosen card into the deck. When the cards are fanned out the selected card is made obvious by its "odd" appearance. The best approach is to place all the indicator cards (I am sure someone out there knows just how many there are) in the top half of the deck, fan out just this set of cards when you offer the choice to the spectator. Another approach would be to use is as a reversible key card on the bottom of the deck.
These cards are called pointers and they work on the principle of the stranger card. I believe there are 22 in a deck. You can determine a selected card by a reversed pointer, or a non-pointer mixed with pointers, or vice versa. Many or your older, better known card books have information about this and related one way principles.
Thanks everyone. I'll look on learned pig for some old card material.
Scott Grossberg has a wonderful routine in Burton Sperber's book, MIRACLE OF MY FRIENDS, II, that could be easily modified for the principle discussed above. The whole book has some great stuff in it!

Enjoy the search!

Happy Holidays!

Paul Green
For a whole deck of subtle one way face cards, check out Card-Shark's Phoenix deck.

John
In the past I combined "pointer face cards" with "pointer backs" for a corporate event. you see many of the old decks (30s & 40s) had pictures on the back instead of patterns. They would be things such as airplanes, car, race horses, all kinds of things. By augmenting the 22 face pointers with selected back pointer (pointing no by direction as much as by a "style" of car, plane etc) I could apply a simple mnemonic code and use the deck for seance work. Plus the decks are very pretty to look at and make a great nostalgic visual distraction.
There is also a bit of work on this in Steranko on Cards. One of my favorite books, but I've never played with this concept.
Rick Maue has an effect out that uses this principle. I think he has some other uses but don't know if they've seen print. Sorry can't remember the name of the effect but contact Rick and he'll advise you. Try Deceptionsunlimited.com
Rick is a good guy and will be happy to help you. Tell him I sent you. I might get Brownie points!
Shooz
There is very skilled Cardman in Toronto named Jeff Hinchliffe who has two manuscripts with ideas on this principle. You can find them at the Browser's Den Magic Shop.

Kelly
I haven't played with this concept for years but when I did I combined it with some face cards. What I did was find some face cards that were not printed exactly square and as a result one of the narrow margins was thicker than the others.

Gil Scott
[quote]
On 2010-12-22 21:59, jonnyboy wrote:
For a whole deck of subtle one way face cards, check out Card-Shark's Phoenix deck.

John
[/quote]

Not only the back also the face is one way?
In each deck of 52 cards you'll find 22 one way cards looking at the faces. Jan
Sure that was something I already knew. Just looked like that all faces were one-way
Yes, but only in the Phoenix Deck. You will discover it when you look closely. Jan
I have it but except for the back one, on the face I really can't figure it out!!! I'll try harder now that I'm sure there is one!
Check the indices, they can align or not. Jan
Rick Maue's work is amazing! Look into his work, specifically The Road manuscript!
There are effects where you can greatly increase the percentage of pointer to no pointers by boldly eliminating certain cards in the start, i.e "here is an odd card trick, one I am sure you have not seen unless you are an 'odd fellow', so lets get rid of the even cards, the 2-4-6-8-& 10, now since we are not playing poker we don't need the face cards - K - Q - J - now we are ready for a mystery, let shuffle this pack" a pack which is now ALL POINTERS - with the right context you can get away with anything! - e
@ernie like youre idea!

@Jan still can't spot it!

I use the @tstark of stranger card to know which card he chose, just different choice from forcing.
Put two cards on the table, align them perfect only slightly overlapping, compare the indices, turn one card 180 degrees, the indices align now or don't align anymore (watch the bottom). Not easy to spot, therefore I wouldn't use it anyway... But it's produced like that on purpose. Jan
OK! Thanls a lot! and yes maybe a little too tricky to spot conistently, and quickly.And for example my ten of diamonds seem impossible to notice any difference...

Anyway thanks again
Ah! Thanks Jan, I was looking for this explanation!
TC, I just used this very old principle for a Four Ace trick I pulled on members of our local magic club. Simple find the card effect, my own routine. No one knew how it was done. Most guessed something entirely different. It was a fooler! They were relieved when I showed the secret. To some it was totally new! Heck, I think I learned it from a woodcut illustration hidden in a dusty tome!
Steven Youell is working on a DVD just using the one way principle of the Phoenix Decks (backs and faces), hopefully we will be able to release it in the next two months. Stay tuned.
Also, there are certain court cards that are one-eyed. ;)
The new skull and cross-bones bicycle cards from CARC are 1-way faces.
I mentioned in another thread that the vintage bicycle KS,QS and JS were one way faces. This was known to us old guys back in the day :) . It is mentioned in EoCT page 18 (Jordan). Contemporary Bicycles have altered the K's gem, changed the J's belt design, and blacked out the white spades in the Q's belt.

I wish USPCC would release a deck with vintage faces. Not a biggee, but would be nice to have them lying around. Back in e old days you could usually find a bike deck in many houses and the turned card trick was an easy impromptu routine to present with several others using the borrowed deck.

Many here have recommended the Phoenix deck. My preference is to use bikes as it is common here in the States and is, by sight, a high "trusted deck."
I ordered a MiC Jumbo deck to make the 6 card repeat and was pleasantly surprised by this discovery! Old style one way spade court cards. I did the turned card routine on my wife. She was fooled but then she tricked me on a repeat by not turning any in one case, and then turning two in another case .... Of course I was not totally correct in those two case. I told her my senses must be dulled since I couldn't detect the no turn and the double turn (The effect uses the 3 spades and another court card. She turned the JD and the KS in the two turn case and of course I called the JD when I saw no spade was turned, lol ! I of course detected the KS turn but not the JD turn. But I also said not following directions can spoil these sensitive experiments ha ha.
[quote]On Dec 18, 2017, docguitarman wrote:
I mentioned in another thread that the vintage bicycle KS,QS and JS were one way faces. This was known to us old guys back in the day :) . It is mentioned in EoCT page 18 (Jordan). Contemporary Bicycles have altered the K's gem, changed the J's belt design, and blacked out the white spades in the Q's belt.

I wish USPCC would release a deck with vintage faces. Not a biggee, but would be nice to have them lying around. Back in e old days you could usually find a bike deck in many houses and the turned card trick was an easy impromptu routine to present with several others using the borrowed deck.

... [/quote]

I've discovered, as it turns out that angel back Squeezers have the vintage KS, QS and JS! The deck also has a subtle one way back and also comes with one BF card! (the last according to a youtube review I watched). pokerstud52 on eBay is selling them. I got a pair!
The angel backs Squeezers were shipped promptly and arrived quickly! As a mini-review the cards out of the case do not fan smoothly. A little rough. Maybe they will smooth out after breaking in. They do have air-cushion stock, they are just not "slick" like bikes out of the box. They are made in the USA. The deck does include a BF.

The cards do have the vintage spade court cards. Yay! See the image! I performed "This Trick Goes Further" for the Mrs. I used the patter that the deck speaks to me to reveal the chosen card. Then when "This Trick Goes Further" was completed I segued into the four card turn effect using the KS through 10S that is already on the table. That makes it a seamless transition. Instead of detecting the turned card by feel I put each card to my ear and they "told me" which one was turned!

From there I can show some other impromptu and sleight effects as it is a normal deck except for the 1 way court spades and of course the backs also are 1 way.
Here are the one way backs. Hard too see in the small image but the top (as in the image) of the inner circle says "Reg'S'D" and the bottom says "No. 10502."
Another update on one way court cards.

I just discovered that the Copag 310 JH, QH and KH are one way designs. And rather subtle. As usual for these one way courts, look at the belts.
In a normal deck if you are forcing from a group you can get the number of cards from 22 to 24. Use a Joker and a Court Card that you remember, if no other cards have been reversed itís the court card.
Also on page 176 of Annemann Card Magic he has a very subtle way you can turn any deck into one way facers. I made a deck up once. Itís good.