(Close Window)
Topic: Appearing wand
What kind of oil do you use on your appearing wand? wd-40 or should I be using something different?
Which Appearing Wand do you have? It all depsnds on the model and who made it.

Walsh very old no longer available wands us light oil.
Makami not as old, but very hard now to locate, does not need or use any oil.

Those are the only 2 models I know of.
Woops SORRY I meant to ask about Appearing Cane........ Must have had a brain fart.
Same question applies, which brand.

Fantasio plastic none, just wash with soap and water. If surface is scratched from being used while dirty, try Magician Fanning Powder after cleaning and throughtly dry.
Walsh lightly thin oil.
Tendo none unless very dirty, use light oil to clean off dirt.
German Model lightly oil.
Empire none.
Tannen's Deluxe from the 1990's lightly thin oil.
India Silver extremely lightly oil sparingly when get dirty.
Most that have come out in the last year and so is steel sandwiched with a coating or film, these do not need any lubricate.

Do you have the instructions that came with your cane? Without knowing the manufacturer, you are in danger of distroying the canes finish.

I found WD 40 does not work as well as oil stroking for an hour or so.
I do not have the instructions this has been put away for a few years and while doing some cleaning I came across it. I can remember the instructions saying to lightly oil it however I can not remember with what it says so oil it with. when I used this in my show it was lubicated but now it is dry and I want to restore it back to its original condition
LIght oil like 3-in-1, or sewing machine oil. You might also find oil lubricants in hobby shops.
The old Walsh canes said to ues a type of oil that when dry it left a wax film on the cane. Can't remember the name he called it.

When I say light, if storing coat in oil and wrap in in plastic. If going to use, lightly oil and then wipe until almost all the oil is removed, you only want a very light film left on the cane. After all you do not want to have oil on your hands during a show.
I would invest in one of the newer canes. This eliminates the need for oiling, and reduces the chances of getting crap on your hands and spoiling some other effect.

For $50-100 you can eliminate the problem.