(Close Window)
Topic: All Screwed Up
I love this effect but was wondering if anyone uses an alternative patter to Doc Eason. I feel uncomfortable using his because of the "sucker" effect.

Is there any other alternative than telling it as a trick which someone did to you (so you become the sucker)?

Thanks
Graham
Could you tell me more about this trick? And if you can, I'd suggest you being the sucker. (no offense) :goof:
The plot is as follows…
3 nuts are shown.
2 go in the hand and one in the pocket.
Hand is opened to show 3 nuts again.

This is repeated a few times but the last time there is now 2 nuts and a bolt.

The bolt goes in the hand and the 2 nuts in the pocket and the 2 nuts are made to magically pass into the hand. When the hand is opened the 2 nuts are shown to be threaded onto the bolt.

Strangely I dreamt last night that someone had posted a patter which involved a dog which kept returning to it’s elderly lady owner!
I like a straight forward patter in most of my routines. A card is a card, a bolt is a bolt and a nut is a nut. So a card will never be a detective, a bolt won't ever be a dog in my routines. ;)

However "All Screwed Up" is an ideal trick to play with words and such : bolt vs bold, now I screw it, it drives me nuts... Because you're English speaking, I'm sure you'll find a patter along this idea, if it suits you...

Peter Vanspauwen
This is a great trick. I like the patter Doc uses. With the 'two-in-the-hand, one-in-the-pocket' scenario, it's very difficult to get away from the 'sucker' scenario. "I have three, I put one in my pocket, how many are left?" If you're polite about it, it's not a 'challenge' situation. If you say "No, there's three, gee you're dumb!" you're asking for trouble. With the right attitude, it's fine. It's a comedy effect, so treat it with the light-heartedness it deserves, and you'll get a good response without turning into a 'sucker' thing. Pretending the props are something else (like a dog and elderly lady) wouldn't work because the comedic pay-off involves the literal representation of the props ("I 'screwed' up!"), not what they symbolize.
Thanks for the replies. Marko that was very helpful.
Thanks
Graham
While Doc Eason may have popularized it, the effect actually is by Gary Frings and first (to my knowledge) appeared in Genii magazine back in the early '60s.
Peter,
You are close...it is Christopher Frings and it was in a Genii mag in the late 70’s.

I have met Christopher and cleared this with him ...and I give him credit when I do my lecture...

Dollar for dollar, it is one of the most commercial routines out there...the best...

doc
Where might one learn this interesting effect?
Oh Doc, by the way, you're not planning on coming around Ohio for a lecture anytime soon, are you?
Thank you.
Ty - You can find this on Bar Magic: The Real Work A 'Doc'umentary Volume 3. All the stuff on the tape is great and it also includes Docs handling of the Anniversary Waltz.

Graham
Doc also sells this effect individually at http://www.doceason.com.
I like it and use it often..
Paul
Hey guys. I’ve started a new magic review show with my son Ryland. On this weeks show we review All Screwed Up and discuss the pros and cons of the trick.

Here’s a link to the review show.

https://youtu.be/_DAkgpsLZX4

Any questions let me know.
Ryland did an awesome job!