(Close Window)
Topic: Appearing on a Motorcycle
I was curious to get input on possibly the best method of appearing on a motorcycle. I have been asked to do a show for Harley Davidson and they want this appearance. I've tried to manipulate my shadowbox to adjust but to no avail, I also thought of the idea of a large tip over trunk or possibly black art, but none of these ideas jump out at me. I wanted to see if you have any ideas. Please post or PM me.

Joseph Evan
Ft Myers Magic
George Anderson in his book, The Magic Digest, talks about making a car appear on the floor of a car show using a simple framework, black velvet and some well timed floodlights.

Yes it is black art, but it got the job done and from the description was pretty spectacular.

Using a shadow box there would be some angle problems and you would need to devise a method of sliding the contraption backwards and forwards - I don't know how much time you have.
Mirrors dude...play with some small ones..and learn something new....so so very very easy..especially for a moto....

You will need a raised platform of course....
yeah mirrors would work well, just don't' break any of them. I'd go off the "Lightening Chamber" illusion idea and angle the mirrors off of a center post if the set up allows it. Or you could use black art and some neon light posts to help hide it if contitions are not all to your advantage. Good luck,

Sperris :stare:
Perhaps we should move this to the Secret Sessions area...should I report myself or will someone do it?
Hello guys, I would like to contribute some ideas as an illusion designer that could be VERY helpfull. I'll even go as far as to make some FREE
computer mock-ups to help out if you wish. Let me know I'd like to help.

~Ryan
(adamant Design & Fabrication)
The description of this effect is in the book "ILLUSIONS" Andrew Mayne. :spinningcoin:
The motorcycle vanish has one distinct advantage...

You are in a black leather jacket and you are wearing a motorcycle helmet, you momentarily lose sight of the performer as he draws back a curtain...

Followed by a runaround to the F.O.H. and you have a miracle.

The shadowbox slant always left me cold.
Doug Henning's way with a mid-air transpo.
I agree Backroom David.
I also agree with David as well. There are many ways to accomplish this effect. What I guess would be a factor for us all is your budget, time constraints for when you need this by as well as where your performing it and what is the performance area like. This will help us all to better direct you in what may work best for you.
Here's another addendum to the Shadowbox idea. In order to ensure stability of the platform it would have to be of very great mass to counter the weight of a Harley.

This would astronomically increase the production costs of such a platform as well as increase shipping costs.

We unloaded such a platform off a truck, eighteen other guys and I. Just before we took it off the road/stage manager Jamie warned us it had killed two stagehands from Georgia less than a month before when it got out of control and crushed them to death.

A few of us who were used to hearing Urban legends from road managers before snickered because we figured he just wanted us to be careful. No one laughed after we unloaded that sucker and I for one wondered if it was true.

Chainhoists are relatively cheap and perfectly safe to use in a well equipped Stagehouse. Do a Henning mid-air transpo as was so eloquently said before me and you have a much better effect than a stinking shadowbox. Most Stagehands would take great exception to being crushed to death by a prop, as unfair as that may seem.

For those who would like to know more and I really really hope I don't catch heck from the moderators for saying this...look into the "cargo cage" illusion and its essential method. From there it's just two plus two.
I need to hang out with you more often David.
I like your style!~rr

Are you a strong fellow?.....I have a few wimps on my team that complain every time out!

Joseph Evan you state that Harley Davidson wants you to do a show featuring their product?
This is corporate magic at it's finest.

The company must bear the cost for this. You can go many ways with this depending on their marketing budget. Get them to foot the bill for any elaborate ideas. There are many many ways to go with this!

You cannot pass this one up! However should you decide to go Grand Illusion with this there are many factors involved with "Selling the Presentation" to those in the audience.

You must not rush into the presentation if you aren't prepared it isn't simply a matter of purchasing the equipment. Rehearsal is a must and this will reveal some of the problem angles as well as real time conditions.

You have had some Great advice from some innovative thinkers....I should have been so lucky when I was in your shoes....Make use of this invaluable advice!

If you decide "You are biting off more than you can chew?" I'll take the gig! I am quite sure someone else in here might be interested as well!

Congratulations on landing this gig!
"Break a Leg"!
Well Harley Davidson is having their 100th Anniversary August 28 and Friday, August 29 03, if it's for this event there no time for nothing.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/an/100/en/anniversary.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US
Rey rey brings up a good point. Do not be in such a hurry to get somthing to be able to do this illusion, and then forget to work on how you are going to present this effect. Remember that technique should be invisible but presentation should really stand out. =)
Hey Rey Rey! You can hang with me any time you like buddy! The only time I really ***** and moan is when there's no beer and a T-shirt after the show. LOL!!

I'm getting old though, so I try to limit the physical exertion and just use my body to carry my brain around.

I'd be a dandy road/stage manager though...and an excellent Technical Director.

Zigmont...one month is a lot of time if you play your cards right. Get on the horn and PM me right away. Don't forget that you have a wonderful resource at your fingertips...the folks at the Harley Davidson factory. If they're all whipped up for the big 100 year special, my guess is that you will find more than a few fellows willing to become heroes by helping you pull off a miracle.

Get the brass involved and include them in the illusion as performers. Most executives are closet wannabe stars and can pull strings like you wouldn't believe if it elevates their sense of status.

You have to get on it right now though and you need a plan immediately.

Also, take heed of the excellent advice about rehearsal, many a show has died because someone figured they would just walk in and do it. You may know what you want to see done, but you also need a team and somebody to slap into their heads what has to happen.

As an aside...Harley Davidson has it's own brand of playing cards showing different vintage hogs on the backs...hehe...the possibilities are enticing.
Backroom:
Great information here and you are correct in that rehearsal time is very important. You must have a well rehearsed and good presentation otherwise the magic will lack.
I saw Copperfield do this at his recent show. He used a HUGE shadow box that was probably 3 feet off the ground, then about 7 feet x 7 feet. It was big.
Evan:
Hmm great idea for Copperfield. bad idea for little Timmy's b-day party. hehe
so where`s the problem???
if little Timmy likes a harley (and his daddy can pay for it), I`d do that job. :nose: hehehe
[quote]
On 2003-08-07 17:54, Evan Williams wrote:
I saw Copperfield do this at his recent show. He used a HUGE shadow box that was probably 3 feet off the ground, then about 7 feet x 7 feet. It was big.
[/quote]

Does anyone knows who was the builder of such illusion?

Regards
The Copperfield motorcycle shadow box illusion was made by Bill Smith Magic Venture back in the mid 90's http://www.magicventures.com/
The illsuion is not released and is protected by Copperfield.
How is the DC Motorcycle shadobox "PROTECTED" by DC ? it is a technique (or rather techniques) that are old as the hills in the art of magic......Shadow appearence along with some others I don't want to mention in a public forum....but if someone can explain to me how is it protected by DC when it is an old technique I'd appreciate it. This copyright thing is pathetically getting out of hand here....
I have an appearing motorcycle illusion that can be performed in the round in full sun light.
also, you can have people hold hands all the way around the illusion to make it seem that much more impossible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111202423195&item=111202423195&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Pm me if you would like one..

Thanks

Taylor
See if these guys can help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNqU8rRvS8c

Beautiful illusion.
I just noticed that my link was wrong..

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zDXHDFGJKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmhI6WIooo

The one that Stu turner showed is cool,
however I don't think they are selling to others and it can not be done in the round and in any lighting condition etc..
thanks.
Taylor
Folks are quoting their magic on a 10 year old post???

I think it was only revived over the question of Copperfield owing the shadow box rights with a motorcycle involved that Zigmont mentioned.

B
I was just going to say the same thing, unless Harley gave him that long to prep things ;) Plus the OP never commented on his own post ever, kind of strange.
Is there a statute of limitations on posting on topics here at the Café?

John
My post was for the magical man who just posted a few days ago..

My prop has nothing to do with a paper box and thought it may help a guy out.

Thanks

Taylor
[quote]
On 2013-11-16 23:23, John Martin wrote:
Is there a statute of limitations on posting on topics here at the Café?

John
[/quote]

No, this is how a forum works, age has nothing to do with it as it is always good to know what has been said previously. Actually, there is suppose to be only one forum per topic. That is why so many of the same questions are asked over and over, when the answer is buried under mountains of repeated questions.

Some members have stock answers on their computers, just to answer all the repeat questions that are the same. Good idea actually.

It there were a limit, then all the previous posts would be deleted.