(Close Window)
Topic: At this very moment on C-SPAN
Message: Posted by: Bill Hilly (Jan 6, 2011 11:02AM)
The Republican (and some Democrat) reps are reading the Constitution, quite badly I must say, so that no business can be conducted.

What is the point? I say they do their job or resign!

Some of them are smiling at each other, knowing that they are pulling $#!+

Many of them are mispronouncing words.

Many more are reading it in such a cadence that itís clear they have:
1. Never read or heard read this document before.
2. Have no idea what the sentences mean!

As distasteful as it is to agree with certain Libertarians ;) I agree with the concept that it may be time to restructure the govít. It is no longer running at an optimum, or even effectual, manner.

This display is nothing short of disgusting.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Jan 6, 2011 11:26AM)
I watched just now for a few moments. I didn't see any smirks, but there sure are lots of empty seats in there. I thought part of the exercise was the for the reps to sit and listen to the entire constitution, not just show up, say their line, and walk out.

Care of Fox Nation:

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE LIVE READING OF THE CONSTITUTION ON THE HOUSE FLOOR!

http://interactive.foxnews.com/livestream/live.html?chanId=3

CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL TEXT OF THE CONSTITUTION AS IT'S READ ALOUD (PDF)

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/constitution.pdf
Message: Posted by: gdw (Jan 6, 2011 11:29AM)
[quote]
On 2011-01-06 12:02, Beano wrote:
The Republican (and some Democrat) reps are reading the Constitution, quite badly I must say, so that no business can be conducted.

What is the point? I say they do their job or resign!

Some of them are smiling at each other, knowing that they are pulling $#!+

Many of them are mispronouncing words.

Many more are reading it in such a cadence that itís clear they have:
1. Never read or heard read this document before.
2. Have no idea what the sentences mean!

As distasteful as it is to agree with certain Libertarians ;) I agree with the concept that it may be time to restructure the govít. It is no longer running at an optimum, or even effectual, manner.

This display is nothing short of disgusting.
[/quote]

A bit of wisdom from Lysander Spooner on EXACTLY this:

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it."

Either way . . .
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jan 6, 2011 11:29AM)
So reading the document they are sworn to uphold is a stunt of some sort? Really? Wow.

Maybe now some of them will actually know what is in the thing. I bet this is the first time many of them even heard of the old parchment.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Jan 6, 2011 11:31AM)
[quote]
On 2011-01-06 12:29, Dannydoyle wrote:

Maybe now some of them will actually know what is in the thing. I bet this is the first time many of them even heard of the old parchment.
[/quote]
See my earlier post. They are not sitting and listening to it. They are mostly reading a line and walking out.

Still ... I suppose learning one line is better than knowing none.
Message: Posted by: HerbLarry (Jan 6, 2011 11:32AM)
The best part is the proposed provision mandating that all bills cite their constitutional authority.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hilly (Jan 6, 2011 11:32AM)
It probably is the first time some of them have.

And yes what they're doing today IS a stunt of some sort.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Jan 6, 2011 11:34AM)
[quote]
On 2011-01-06 12:32, HerbLarry wrote:

The best part is the proposed provision mandating that all bills cite their constitutional authority.
[/quote]
I predict that will be good for many laffs down the road. Some of the justifications of the bills and interpretations of the constitution that the reps come up with, I mean.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jan 6, 2011 11:48AM)
Well they ALL should have had to do this from day 1. It will be good for laughs though.

My favorite was the health care debate in which Jackson claimed since one side had guns and an ammendment that they can have health care. God it was funny.
Message: Posted by: Nom de Guerre (Jan 6, 2011 11:55AM)
Should make for good fodder on Jon Stewart's show.
Message: Posted by: Tom Jorgenson (Jan 6, 2011 12:17PM)
More evidence that the desire for power is proof of the inability to handle power.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jan 6, 2011 11:40PM)
It may have pockets of people who are not that way, but yep that does seem to be the case!
Message: Posted by: balducci (Mar 25, 2011 12:31AM)
[quote]
On 2011-01-06 12:32, HerbLarry wrote:

The best part is the proposed provision mandating that all bills cite their constitutional authority.
[/quote]
Oh yeah. The old "We will require each bill moving through Congress to include a clause citing the specific constitutional authority upon which the bill is justified".

Wonder how that is working out ...

http://www.slate.com/id/2289166/
Message: Posted by: HerbLarry (Mar 25, 2011 08:35AM)
I am not surprised at all.
Message: Posted by: gdw (Mar 25, 2011 09:19AM)
The Spooner quote is appropriate now more than ever.

So many say how they aren't surprised, and yet still think this system is the way to go.
Message: Posted by: EsnRedshirt (Mar 25, 2011 09:25AM)
Gdw- name some better ones?
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Mar 25, 2011 09:28AM)
He doesn't want a betteer system...he wants the better non-system.
Message: Posted by: gdw (Mar 25, 2011 09:31AM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-25 10:25, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Gdw- name some better ones?
[/quote]

Well that doesn't sound like an argument from ignorance at all.
Message: Posted by: gdw (Mar 25, 2011 09:34AM)
As I've said before, I do have ideas of how things COULD work, the entire point would be to let people find out for themselves, and, in the end, simply be free to choose.

Not knowing the future is not a reason to persist in something people know, and admit, is corrupt, and not working.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Mar 25, 2011 09:41AM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-25 10:34, gdw wrote:
Not knowing the future is not a reason to persist in something people know, and admit, is corrupt, and not working.
[/quote]



Not seeing a replacement that isn't worse might be, though.
Message: Posted by: gdw (Mar 25, 2011 03:22PM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-25 10:41, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-25 10:34, gdw wrote:
Not knowing the future is not a reason to persist in something people know, and admit, is corrupt, and not working.
[/quote]



Not seeing a replacement that isn't worse might be, though.
[/quote]

Hey, I'd be happy with someone *like Ron Paul, if I thought they could actually make any real changes.

*because, as several like to point out, I don't live in america, so there's very little chance I'd see Dr. Paul winning any elections up here.