(Close Window)
Topic: Pocket Illusion by Astor
Got this the other day and have been playing with it for 2 days. This is a pretty cool illusion. The cards are nicely made and seem somewhat durable. I feel for $30.00 the cards should be nicely made! There are no sleights. There is a turnover move, but that's all it is- just a turnover move- not hard. The moves are easy to learn and when you get them down- I found myself repeating this effect for myself as it is pretty neat to watch in action. I have not performed it for anyone yet, so I do not know what kind of reactions it will get.

So for $30.00- without performing it for a spectator, I cannot say at this time if the price is worh it. Though, if I had to take a guess, I think this is going to get good reactions. If it does, I feel the price may be worth it.

RNK
Thanks for the review,I was looking at this the other day & could not find any reviews of it.

Please let us know how it plays for you.

Mike
Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZmiL-qQp0
It looks very nice.
Are the 'cards' made from card-stock, or are they plastic and do they come with their own wallet?

Paul Mc.
I'm assumming it's examinable? it looks good to me!
I like it a lot. Too much dress though!

Patrick
I like it... not entirely sure how I'd routine it.
[quote]
On 2011-01-09 22:13, Cyberqat wrote:
[/quote]

I am not sure if I would routine it- I think I am just going to say I have something very interesting to show you- then go into it- both phases without words- except- when I finish phase I and put the cards away- I let spectators see I have another set with the same girls face on top of the second pack and say "she(the first girl) has a twin sister- here check her out". And do the second phase.

I have been thinking about patter for this myself and can't think of anything yet either.

RNK
Oh yea- I forgot to mention about the cards- they are not laminated (as I think they should be for $30.00). Though, if they were, I wonder if the cards would not slide as well- which I think is important- the sliding of the cards cards when displaying the girl makes the effect look nice. Though, the cards are made a little thicker than normal playing cards and have a different feel to them like they MAY be coated with something. But, since I have not performed with the cards a BUNCH of times yet, it is hard for me to say if the cards will last. If you are on the fence on buying this- check out MADHATTER MAGIC SHOP online- they are selling it for $21.95! I LOVE Madhatter- they have great customer service and AWESOME prices- probably one of the best prices out there!

Best- RNK
Agree with others, this looks pretty cool.
OK- the cards are like a heavy stock/somewhat plastic- though they do not feel as if they are plastic. (If that makes any sense). I am getting pretty good reactions from this. It's definately not a "BLow Em Away reacion of WHAT?" it's more of a "Hmmm- Woah- what just happened" type of reaction or a "Yea- that's pretty cool" reaction. Hope this helps-

RNK
[quote]
On 2011-01-10 09:31, RNK wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-01-09 22:13, Cyberqat wrote:
[/quote]

I am not sure if I would routine it- I think I am just going to say I have something very interesting to show you- then go into it- both phases without words- except- when I finish phase I and put the cards away- I let spectators see I have another set with the same girls face on top of the second pack and say "she(the first girl) has a twin sister- here check her out". And do the second phase.

I have been thinking about patter for this myself and can't think of anything yet either.

RNK
[/quote]

I think it need some kind of routining to rise above "magic for magicians."

The fact that you pick up the cards and put them back down in different orders is going to make a layman for the most part say "your just shuffling them up." I think you need to call attention to the "impossibility" of the results as well as having a patter to explain away the shuffling. I was thinking of drawing a connection between it and the old stage illusion with the boxes where the magician mixes the parts of the girl up...
Been out a while, how are the routines going?
Does anyone actually have this effect in stock?
Seems more like a clever puzzle to me than magic. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending how you routine it.
I checked around online yesterday and nobody had them in stock. Either the shops didn't get many of them or they are selling pretty well!
There is 300 on sale on eBay ( Indonesia)
[quote]
On 2011-03-01 16:21, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Seems more like a clever puzzle to me than magic. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending how you routine it.
[/quote]

I hear ya Rowdy, it looks just like a puzzle. Stuff like this I would only use impromptu at the office for fun.
If performed flawlessy- this is also portrayed as magic/mystery. I have found if I make one little oops, even though I correct it so the cards show correctly, (you sre right rowdy) the spectator almost looks over the whole thing- like a puzzle, but when I perform it spot on- I always get- a "WOW- now that was cool" type of reaction.

RNK
How is it listed on ebay? I couldn't find it. Thanks.
http://buy.id.ebay.com/buying/id/display/320637459372_Pocket-Illusion--Astor

Link for Pocket Illusion
Examinable?
Yes it is examinable the cards are normal
Looks like a toy to me. Can't imagine anyone being impressed with this. Looks like a more expensive version of something you might find in a Christmas cracker! I very rarely say anything negative about a product but for this I'm making an exception ;) hey ho!

Best
Sean
Like the effect but then saw the review from World magic who pointed out
that the written instruction was very hard to follow
I would have thought that a dvd would be easier to follow and cost effective
Anybody want to buy my Pocket Illusion. Like brand new. Just sitting in my drawer.
$17 & free shipping.
Looks like a fun toy though!
[quote]
On 2011-06-17 15:23, HusssKarson wrote:
Looks like a fun toy though!
[/quote]

It is- doesn't' get the WTF reaction, but if you do all the moves fluently, always gets a Hmmmmm-confused look reaction.

RNK
Bought it from Hank Lee last week but haven't had a chance to sit down and learn it yet. Yes, the
instructions are difficult to follow. Apparently English is not their native tongue.
The cards is very well made. The Instruction very hard to understand....!!!
Is this now in the Criss Angel magic kits?
Got a better look at my set last night. Would definitely recommend watching the video and following the moves there. If you don't, you will never be able to do it. Instructions are lousy. Cards are nicely made but it would have been a much better deal at 15 bucks. at 25, it is grossly overpriced.
I would definitely agree. You can burn the directions as they're better to heat your house (not really.) Once you follow the video and familiarize yourself with the routine, it is very simple. I was completely frustrated for a while and then could not believe how simple it truly was. This is a cute little pocket effect to keep in your wallet for a spontaneous story.

Dan.
Been doing it a lot lately. The more I do it, the more I like it. Did it for some of the Boston guys last week. They all wanted to know where to get one.
I just use only the first part with the wooden backs - I like the simplicity, great walk a round bit.